New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Question Do 1st Edition (OD&D) subclasses replace their class, or add onto their class?

Note: This is for OD&D (the original box set which came out in 1974), not AD&D.

In OD&D, Monk (which debuted in the Blackmoor supplement) is called a subclass of cleric. Does that mean they get cleric spellcasting? The supplement doesn't say whether the cleric features are added onto the monk features, or if the monk subclass is replacing the cleric class wholecloth.
    Bogard the Barbarian, my first D&D character! Revel in his unbelievably overpowered equipment!
    (Our GM never got the hang of treasure tables)

Also read The Ballad of Bogard, his backstory sung to the tune of Gilligan's Island!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Do 1st Edition (OD&D) subclasses replace their class, or add onto their class?

Not perfectly certain, but in AD&D Ranger was a subclass of Fighter, Druid was a subclass of Cleric, etc. and Druids didn't count as Clerics for any other game rules. As such, I suspect the same ideology applies to OD&D, so Monks are just a distinct class, related to Clerics but not subject to Cleric rules. Kind of like a second cousin.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Do 1st Edition (OD&D) subclasses replace their class, or add onto their class?

No, the class gets just its features.
    I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
    -The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
    https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.c...tionchallenge/

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I am more familiar with 2e, but subclasses are their own class. Clerics and Druids are both sublcasses of priest with their own progression, spellcasting and rules. Same for Thieves and Bards being subclasses of rogues.

What you are thinking of (additions to your class that add features in exchange for other features) are known as "Kits" from the complete books. Specialty priests to particular deities are also a kind of kit in this way.