New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Default The Hunt for the Holy Grail IC

Please refence this map

Link to OOC

Brother Maynard and his band of devout followers gathered at the sacred stone monastery. The night was heavy with an eerie silence, broken only by the rustle of leaves and distant howls. Brother Maynard, a man of unwavering faith and strength, addressed his companions with a grave tone.

"My brethren," he began, his voice carrying the weight of conviction, "we stand on the precipice of a great battle. The undead scourge that plagues these lands must be vanquished, lest it spread its darkness further."

His followers, a mix of holy warriors, mystics and priests, nodded solemnly, their faces set with determination. Among them was King Arthur, a skilled warrior with a fierce spirit, and Lancelot, a veteran whose blade had tasted the blood of many foes.

Brother Maynard outlined their plan, a daring assault on the undead. They would strike at daylight, using the element of surprise to their advantage. Their goal: to destroy the undead horde, with a weapon so powerful known only as the holy hand grenade.

Unbeknownst to Brother Maynard and his followers, the undead forces had sensed their intentions through dark sorcery, and had already set out to stop the church.

It is currently 5 am Brother Maynard and his followers plan to leave at daybreak 6 am you have only but an hour to succeed at your task to turn Brother Maynard and or destroy the living in the sacred stone monastery. The only problem you do not know which of them is Brother Maynard.
    Last edited by samduke; 2024-04-30 at 08:27 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: The Hunt for the Holy Grail IC

As Tyrion and the others assembled some 250' from the main gate (M1 area) he looks to the others, "So far the best plan of attack I have heard is for the ghosts to remain somewhat hidden undergound as we assault the church head on. I do not know which one is Maynard but I believe that will become apparent during the battle. If you have any preparation to do beforehand I would do that now.
    I like the globe warm...

If you live for people's acceptance you will die from their rejection.

Remember, no matter how hot she is, someone, somewhere is tired of her crap.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Garg readies his hammer. Alright, I'm all prepared. My fellow dead, it's been an honor.
    Last edited by Psycho Ban; 2024-05-03 at 02:10 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

The church bell tolls 5 times, the monastery starts to gain light through its windows

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Does anyone have a way to draw them out?"
    I like the globe warm...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Echoing out from the helmet tinly, the Black Knight points out, "If we just kill everything that oughta do the trick... right? Just point me in a direction chief."
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Town Square execution.

Fistful of Fate character: Aereck Tarrinsen

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

"My kinda fighter! Any way, me and Sir Anger over here could go in, scare'm a bit, and flush them out for all of you to" Garg swings his hammer "bring the hammer down!"
    Last edited by Psycho Ban; 2024-05-03 at 08:32 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"For some reason I feel if you go in you aren't coming out. I could summon a devil to wreak havoc on the outside to see if that drew them out."

Tyrion summons a Lemure (summon monster 2) and mentally tells it to go to the church and kill anything it finds.
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2024-05-04 at 08:10 AM.
    I like the globe warm...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

It had taken some doing to rouse Sir Anger from his usual midweek routine — roving the battlements of the local fort and dropping stones on the guards below — but the others had finally convinced him of the serious of the situation.

Now he stands with the others, coldly seething, as he watches the demon move toward the building. He raises his eyes, seeking to see if there was a similar perch on the upper floors of the church.

ooc
    Stance: Crushing Weight of the Mountain

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Lioslaith View Post
    [COLOR="#800000"]
    Tyrion summons a Lemure (summon monster 2) and mentally tells it to go to the church and kill anything it finds.
    The Lemure (Devil) Follows its instructions and enters the temple at M1 and disappears from sight.
    You feel the essence of the summoned creature fade from existence.

The Lemure (Devil) is dead.

you do not need to make any checks there is a loud call to arms being raised within the temple

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Well then!" the Black Knight echoes out of the helmet "Let's get cracking!"
    Show

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Town Square execution.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

”If they are just going to hide inside then burn it down around them.”
    I like the globe warm...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Within the Monastery through the many small windows the lights are growing ever brighter. occasionally you can see movement pass by several windows. No one has ventured out the front door that you are aware of.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Merideath rolls her eyes - an impressive feat given that the eyes are entirely illusory, part of the visage of a black-haired, petite young woman she chooses to put on. Perhaps unnecessarily so in this case, but a lady always finds time to look presentable. "Well, of course they're not going to come out like idiots, when they've got a perfectly defensible place to be. Never assume your foes are idiots until they make it obvious!" She turns her gaze to the monastery. "This is a simple puzzle, really - we must go to them. I can either teleport us or..." she glances at the ghosts. "Actually, I've never tried to teleport a ghost before... no matter, I have just the spell for this! Once the spell is cast, we must immediately advance to the front entrance before they can dispel the effect or recover from the effect!" She almost begins the spell, then coughs (very drily), and then says, "...But first, something to speed us up and help get there faster." She takes out her metamagic rod, though she doesn't use it this casting - she just wants it handy. Then, she casts a spell of Haste on the entire group.

"All right, now for the real show!" She begins the somatic components, and finishes the casting with a silly-sounding groan as the verbal component. It sounds far less silly when a wall that appears to be made of tortured souls comes into being in front of the monastery, making the same sounds. "Quickly now!" The casting done, she confidently strides towards the redoubt of her foes.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    1st Turn:
    Move action: Get out that Quicken Metamagic rod, and hold it in the same arm as my buckler.
    Standard Action: Cast Haste on everyone. That'll last for a good 15 turns.

2nd Turn:
    Standard Action: Cast Spiritwall, from the Spell Compendium.
    In short: Everyone within 60 feet of the other side of the wall must make a Will save (DC 24) or be frightened and flee for 1d4 rounds. In the meantime, the wall is both cover and concealment for all physical attacks, and blocks line of effect for magic. If living creatures go through the wall, they will not have a good time.
    I'm a little unclear on how the area of the spell works, since the wording is different from, say, Wall of Fire. It's a "Swirling wall whose area is up to one 10-ft. square/level, or a sphere or hemisphere with a radius of up to 1 ft./level." I'm taking the former option, and I don't know if it conjures a number of "panels" that I can arrange as I like, or not, but if so I'm going to block as much of the front of the monastery as I can.
    It'll last for 15 minutes, though we hardly need it that long.

Move action: Move with the aid of my new 60 foot movement speed towards the entrance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Honestly, most players would get super excited about Zenob the god of crabs because it's eccentric. I know I would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    But a friendly reminder that, by RAW, this game is unplayable

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

The Black Knight surges as the power flows over him, and draws his greatsword, turning toward the closest entrance of the monastery.

"LEEROOOOOOYYYY JENKINS!!!" he calls out and charges toward the gateway, intending to smash his way through whatever is standing in the way.
    Show

Town Square execution.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Garg has a look of pure joy cross his face as he realizes combat is brewing. "About time!" Garg charges alongside the Black Knight.
    Last edited by Psycho Ban; 2024-05-13 at 05:01 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

as the party plans their approach, and spells are cast, they soon discover that someone or something has dispelled part of their active spells. as this occurs Garg & Black Knight decide to charge the temple moving at a speed of 80ft, (garg 20ft x4 as if running) they are now at 170ft from the temple entrance.

Black Knight with the Mask of True Seeing can now see a figure standing near the entrance to the temple it is a rather large and imposing figure wearing what looks like full plate armor complete with shield and a rather hefty looking sword 4x to large for the figure. The figure is looking directly at you and in the direction of the party.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

The Black Knight echoes out a metallic battlecry and charges straight for the figure he sees, leaping across the intervening ground and coming down upon the armored presumed enemy with full ferocity.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Use a Swift Action to activate Raging Mongoose for 2 additional attacks at highest attack bonus
    Use Full Round Action for Pouncing Charge to make full attack
    Make a Jump Check for Leap Attack (1d20+33)[37]
    Power Attack and use Shock Trooper to transfer penalty to hit to AC (-15 to AC)
    +60 to all damage on attacks this turn (+15 x2 from PA w/ 2h weapon, +100% from Leap Attack)

Attack 1 (1d20+31)[40] (confirm crit (1d20+31)[48])
    Damage 1 (2d6+79)[87] (crit (2d6+79)[82])
    Attack 2 (1d20+31)[37] (confirm crit (1d20+31)[51])
    Damage 2 (2d6+79)[87] (crit (2d6+79)[84])
    Attack 3 (1d20+31)[35] (confirm crit (1d20+31)[50])
    Damage 3 (2d6+79)[83] (crit (2d6+79)[82])
    Attack 4 (1d20+26)[42] (confirm crit (1d20+26)[45])
    Damage 4 (2d6+79)[85] (crit (2d6+79)[88])
    Attack 5 (1d20+21)[34] (confirm crit (1d20+21)[26])
    Damage 5 (2d6+79)[88] (crit (2d6+79)[82])

Also note that this weapon is Ghost Touch and Shadowstriking, meaning no miss chance for incorporeality and no damage reduction applied.
    Last edited by Breitheamh; Yesterday at 03:12 PM.
    Show

Town Square execution.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Merideath is quite irked at the failure of one of her spells - should have just went straight for the Spiritwall! - but alas, dispelling and preventing her own spells from being dispelled was never her forte. She considers teleporting in, but her allies are no longer in cohesion, and gathering them together would be too difficult. Besides, she might need her teleportation spell for a quick escape. So, she just runs towards the entrance, hoping she doesn't actually get there ahead of her allies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Honestly, most players would get super excited about Zenob the god of crabs because it's eccentric. I know I would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    But a friendly reminder that, by RAW, this game is unplayable