New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Default Exotic Fae Materials?

Are there any lore-established unusual materials that a fae jeweler might work with?

Asking strictly for flavor, not creation of a practical item. My character wants to make an engagement ring for her suitor with materials that have a personal significance of some sort. The gem is a valuable aquamarine found at the bottom of a crystal-clear stream (having been one of many items thrown there by weirdo cultists to some weird-ass god.) She's currently in a demi-plane among mostly a bunch of friendly fey creatures, and would like to find one of them to set the gemstone in an unusual ring of some sort.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Exotic Fae Materials?

No specific fae-related material comes to mind (although mithril seems appropriate).

I recommend that you ask the DM. There's no generic D&D material, and you didn't mention an established setting. Therefore any lore-established unusual materials that a fae jeweler might work with must come from the DM.

This might get you into some interesting and as-yet unknown part of the DM's lore, or it might encourage the DM to come up with something. Either way, the idea that appeals to the DM will work better than any other.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Dragon 357 had coldwood, but giving someone wooden "jewelry" seems tacky.
    Last edited by Maat Mons; 2024-04-30 at 03:26 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I feel like a fae crafter wouldn't need materials that logically consistent with typical crafting. They'd be more symbolic that, through weird fae-magic, turn into a totally different item. Additionally, they'd look for things that are less.... physical. "The laughter of a child" and other similarly difficult to capture ephemeral things.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Ysgardian heartwire (Book of Exalted Deeds) is more celestial then fey, but Ysgard is the most fey-ish heaven, so I think it fits. Also, the name alone seems apt for this purpose, plus iirc, it heals itself from damage, so repeat visits to the jeweler would be unnecessary, even with a lifestyle as active as an adventurer's.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Dragon 357 had coldwood, but giving someone wooden "jewelry" seems tacky.
    My sister has a wooden wedding ring, but that's because of her metal allergy.

There really are some very nice wooden rings out there, and with Fae usually having ties to nature using exotic lumber for various jewelry does seem like a nice fit.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Winter Fae may use Blueice (Frostburn)