New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Dark Sun Silt Sea... How deep?

Running a Darksun campaign, and it has gotten to a point where the players basically want to create a stronghold in the silt sea, away from everyone. One of the casters has access to a sand to stone spell which creates 2 10ft cubes of stone per caster level.

The only thing that I can find is that there is a deep silt layer about 50ft down that rarely ever gets disturbed. But nothing about how deep that goes. Ideally they want to get down to bedrock. How far should that be?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Dark Sun Silt Sea... How deep?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
    Running a Darksun campaign, and it has gotten to a point where the players basically want to create a stronghold in the silt sea, away from everyone. One of the casters has access to a sand to stone spell which creates 2 10ft cubes of stone per caster level.

The only thing that I can find is that there is a deep silt layer about 50ft down that rarely ever gets disturbed. But nothing about how deep that goes. Ideally they want to get down to bedrock. How far should that be?
    It's described as round, with a large island in the center.

That sounds a LOT like a meteor crater to me. At 400 miles across, depth of a crater is probably somewhere 10 and 100 miles. But it's in a volcanic region, and described as having islands, so having rock formations that don't reach the surface, even very large ones (underseailt mountain ranges), is quite feasible.

Of course who knows what lives on the top of those rock formations, far under the silt, but not willing/able to venture into the true depths. And how they will feel about someone sticking giant stone stilts into the middle of their homes.
    If the deep silt is air to them, but rock is still rock, you've just given them a tower to the heavens. With tasty adventurers at the top!
    Last edited by Elkad; 2024-05-01 at 06:15 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Dark Sun Silt Sea... How deep?

Quote Originally Posted by Elkad View Post
    It's described as round, with a large island in the center.

That sounds a LOT like a meteor crater to me. At 400 miles across, depth of a crater is probably somewhere 10 and 100 miles. But it's in a volcanic region, and described as having islands, so having rock formations that don't reach the surface, even very large ones (underseailt mountain ranges), is quite feasible.

Of course who knows what lives on the top of those rock formations, far under the silt, but not willing/able to venture into the true depths. And how they will feel about someone sticking giant stone stilts into the middle of their homes.
    If the deep silt is air to them, but rock is still rock, you've just given them a tower to the heavens. With tasty adventurers at the top!
    Oh, I fully intend for there to be consequences for their actions. I was just trying to see if it was feasible with widened sand to stones, or if an epic raise island spell would be more feasible.

If the silt sea is like an ocean floor, it could be anywhere from 10 meters to 100 meters down. If that is right then a widened sand to stone spell at 15th level should raise about 100ft island from 100 meters down.