New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Balancing player preferences regarding travel?

So, I asked my players if they prefer a more travel-based game or one that focuses more on a single Kingdom and the war that is brewing.

3 of my 4 players want to see the world. We are playing in Exandria (world of Criticalrole) and they want to explore the setting. The last one fears that he will be less invested in NPCs and locations if taking that route. He wants to explore a single kingdom and it’s politics/problems.

How do I strike a balance? thought about making a campaign hub where they can return to, after adventures. I would need to do some teleportation in that case, I think. Or I alternate. One small arc at home, one small arc sending them to retrieve an artifact in an exotic location, repeat.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Sir-Carlos; 2024-05-01 at 04:15 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: Balancing player preferences regarding travel?

Well, it depends a lot on what "exploring the world" means

Is it gonna be player driven? Like well, lets go to this place in the north, spend some time there and when we bother of that place we go someplace else.

Or is it gonna be the story making them go to specific places?

For the latter you can just incorporate the intrigue and masquerade stuff thru the missions and when the story has them go back to the kingdom whose politics you want the story to flesh out.

For the former, it kinda clashes with the style, trying to force a narrative on a player driven adventure is probably not gonna allow either style to flourish.

What you could do in that case, is instead of them exploring the politics of a kingdom while being in the kingdom, they can explore it by proxy being someplace else. The prelude of the adventure could include the PCs along with a handful of carefully crafted NPCs get stranded somewhere, and have a story akin to Banner Saga, The Pale Beyond, Lost, or the like, where the stuff the PC's do will naturally reflect in the NPCs. One of the NPCs may be pushing them to go to a certain city or contact a certain organization for reasons, two NPCs may quarrel and bicker regularly because the groups they assocciate with have bad blood between them.

For that kind of thing to work, the NPCs should be very consciously designed, a mason can be the proxy for the masons guild, even if he's not someone with rank who can formally represent the organization in world, for the narrative he can be. A couple nobles from allied, neutral or antagonists houses, a spy passing as a tourist or a merchant, an actual merchant who is not part of any formal organization per se, but can be there so the story can incorporate the pov of merchants in general ("house whatever's reign did make the roads safer, but guess what? We are using them roads to get out of the kingdom safely since there's no coin to be made there now, that's how I ended up in this bloody predicament"). Once you have the NPCs designed, and the machinations of the factions determined, the adventure plays itself out, whatever the players do, you would know how the NPCs feel about it, and can thus give the players the freedom to explore the world at their leisure, while simultaneosly unraveling the politics and backstabbing going on in a specific kingdom or city.
    Last edited by Rukelnikov; 2024-05-01 at 10:05 AM.
    Wanna try the homebrew system me and my friends play? It was developed by a friend of mine and all you need to play is found here

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Default Re: Balancing player preferences regarding travel?

If you make use of magic items that replicate phone calls, like Sending Stones or something that can do 2-way Scrying, or even Dream, NPCs can be a world away and still close enough to talk to. Even Animal Messengers help.

Teleportation Circles are also a great way to explore and stay close. As are air ships and flying mounts. Both the PCs and NPCs can make use of these.

Thematically, wars are complicated business. To prevent a war from brewing, maybe explore who is supplying what to whom from far off lands. Whole bunches of resources and plots can funnel back to the small kingdom.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.