New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Cataclysm of Kang [Marvels Multiverse RPG, seeking players]

I recently got Cataclysm of Kang with the intent of playing with my kids, and thought this would be a great place to figure out the system properly as i've never played it, or ran it.

So, any playgrounders want to play a game of Marvels Multiverse RPG utilizing the Cataclysm of Kang campaign book?

We can figure out the system together, though it's pretty dang simple.

PC creation is pretty simple:
    Power Level 1
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Cataclysm of Kang [Marvels Multiverse RPG, seeking players]

I used to be pretty big into superhero stories, especially Marvel. Not so much anymore. And I'm not familiar at all with this system.

Still... I tentatively would like to voice my interest?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

This is the newest Marvel RPG, yeah? I'd love to do a symbiote-based character.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

I could potentially be interested, assuming that I'm allowed to make my own character. For some reason most superhero games lately insist on pre-gens.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InAction View Post
    I used to be pretty big into superhero stories, especially Marvel. Not so much anymore. And I'm not familiar at all with this system.

Still... I tentatively would like to voice my interest?
    Sounds good!

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post
    This is the newest Marvel RPG, yeah? I'd love to do a symbiote-based character.
    Yep! Sounds awesome! I love Agent venom!

Quote Originally Posted by Cerespirin View Post
    I could potentially be interested, assuming that I'm allowed to make my own character. For some reason most superhero games lately insist on pre-gens.
    Absolutely, it was your comment in another thread that gave me the idea for this game
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    Absolutely, it was your comment in another thread that gave me the idea for this game
    Oh no! Now I'm worried that I won't live up to my own hype. =P

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

I’m interested I have a lot of ideas

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

I'd be up to play, probably a mutant.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

In theory I am thinking of playing a cyborg cat-transgirl surgeon with four robotic arms. I have a lot of character concepts I would like to play but I'm not sure how many of them make sense at power level one which, as best as I can tell, is just barely a notch up from a civilian.

10. - Top - End - #10

I had been led to think this system was almost geared more towards playing established Marvel characters. And ordinarily I'd be more into making my own character, I kind of got sold on the idea of playing some of my favorites. Like the Black Knight or one of the Thunderbolts.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm interested, I've been wanting to give this system a try.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Would it be inappropriate to request a status update?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

still waiting for everyone to make their characters.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    still waiting for everyone to make their characters.
    Whoa, what? You haven't even said which players you've accepted into the game yet.

Are there any character creation guidelines beyond "level one?" Where should we discuss the game; is there a thread, Discord server, etc.? How do we know if we got picked or not? Should we put in a formal application, and if so what are you looking for in such a submission? I am very confused!
    Last edited by Cerespirin; 2024-05-07 at 10:09 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Superhero Name: Baron
    Name: Etienne Lacroix
    Origin: Inhuman
    Tags: Heroic, Inhuman Gene, Black Market Access
    Traits: Fearless, Connections: Superheroes (The Inhumans), Surprising Power (Shape Shift, ignore rank requirement)

Melee 1 (Defense 11)
    Agility 0 (Defense 10)
    Resilience 2 (Defense 12)
    Vigilance 1 (Defense 11)
    Ego 1 (Defense 11)
    Logic 0 (Defense 10)

Health: 60 (Health Damage Reduction 1 from Sturdy)
    Focus: 30
    Damage Multipliers: 2 in Melee and 1 in all others.

Powers:

-Disguise
    -Shape Shift
    -Sturdy 1
    -Mighty 1

Backstory:

Etienne Delacroix was born and raised in the French Quarters of New Orleans, living in the rich environment of mysticism, music and traditions. As a bright kid in New Orleans, Etienne spent a good amount of time getting into troubles and watching too many Indiana Jones movies thinking of action and adventures. When the Assassin Guild was running an operation in New Orleans vs X-Force, they were willing to use all kinds of weapons to take down X-Force. It is during that time, that Etienne ended up being on the scene, when an explosion took him out. This explosion was made with some terrigen mist, which triggered his inhuman genes and revealed his powers. He was able to survive and discover that he could change shape and take difference appearances.

It didn't take long after the incident to get in contact with the Inhumans who welcome him to their world, still for now Etienne prefers to live in the human world and doesn't know, if he will go live with the other inhumans later in life.

Note: Kept it simple, since we start at Rank 1 which from my understanding its basically close to origin stories. While I don't know the overall plot of Cataclysm of Kang for people who are worried, I know at least, there are basically a lot of ranking up between each chapter, so yeah we start low but pretty much by the end, we are on par with the some of the strongest characters in marvel.
    Last edited by watermargin; 2024-05-07 at 11:12 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cerespirin View Post
    Whoa, what? You haven't even said which players you've accepted into the game yet.

Are there any character creation guidelines beyond "level one?" Where should we discuss the game; is there a thread, Discord server, etc.? How do we know if we got picked or not? Should we put in a formal application, and if so what are you looking for in such a submission? I am very confused!
    right here is perfectly fine, just like every other game in recruitment I've seen on these boards, players usually create characters and then are chosen. I do have a discord server, link is in my sig. feel free to jump on and ask questions there as well.

Anything level 1 is good for me, watermargin's character is a great example (though i have yet to review it)
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm new here, so I don't know the standard procedure! ^^; Let me know how this looks.

Spoiler: Katey "Medicat" Commons
    Show
    Height: 5' 5" (165 cm)
    Weight: 145 lb. (66 kg)
    Eyes: Usually Blue
    Hair: Usually Blue

Origin: High Tech (cybernetics)

Health: 10

Abilities (5/5)
    - Melee 0
    - Agility 0
    - Resilience 0
    - Vigilance 1
    - Ego 1
    - Logic 3

Tags (unlimited)
    - Black Market Access
    - Extreme Appearance (origin)
    - Headquarters
    - Lab Access
    - Streetwise

Traits (1/1)
    - Clinician (occupation)
    - Connections: criminal
    - First Aid (occupation)
    - Tech Reliance (origin)

Powers [4/4]
    - Additional Limbs
    - Disguise
    - Flexible Fingers
    - Heightened Senses

Power Wishlist
    - Brilliance
    - Invisibility
    - Machine Telepathy
    - Wallcrawling

Katey is an eccentric, bombastic weirdo whose unusual appearance provokes double-takes in nearly all situations. She is of approximately average height and weight, five feet five inches tall and about a hundred and forty pounds, but in virtually all other aspects she veers wildly from the norm. When presenting as "herself" she has softly-glowing sky-blue hair arranged in a pair of giant curly ponytails, matching eyes, and slightly-reflective snow-white skin decorated all over with glowing Japanese-style tattoos that she changes depending on her mood. She has a secondary pair of cat-like ears atop her head with a matching prehensile tail. Most notably of all, she has four hydraulic spider-like metal limbs with replaceable tool heads attached to a control unit just above her hips and connected directly to her spine. The tool limbs and much of the control unit can be removed and her prosthetic hair, skin, and inflatable subdermal pockets allow her to change her appearance on a whim, allowing her to disguise or "enhance" herself in a matter of moments. She typically wears a sleeveless PVC French maid outfit with neon glow-piping and, oddly, an antique mechanical watch with a red leather strap.

Despite her bizarre appearance, Katey is highly intelligent and a consummate professional who knows how to move unnoticed when it really matters. She is most well-known in the underworld for her peerless medical skills and her ability to design bespoke prosthetic replacements and enhancements decades more advanced than anything legally available. She willingly treats both villains and heroes, and her place of business is considered neutral ground where anyone can go to receive surgery with no records or questions asked. She is even prone to bouts of minor heroism herself whenever things start getting a little too dangerous in her neighborhood.

What is less well known is that Katey is a Cyber Raver -- a gang of underground hackivists, tech thieves, and corporate terrorists who operate out of a cyberpunk-themed nightclub set up in the city's abandoned subway system. Although only rarely a direct participant in the organization's anti-corporate activities, much of the money she makes as a street surgeon goes towards supporting them and she frequently hangs out at the AI Core to dance, consume fruity cocktails, and shoot the breeze with her fellow antiestablishmentarians.
    Last edited by Cerespirin; 2024-05-07 at 11:00 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hope this looks good

Superhero Name: Traveler
    Name: Samuel Wagner
    Origin: mutant
    Height: 5’ 9
    Weight: 195 lbs
    Hair: blue
    Eyes: Yellow
    Skin: pink fur
    Tags: Hounded, Krakoan, X-Gene, extreme appearance, heroic, linguist: German, Latin, Japanese, Public Identity
    Traits: Connections: Outsiders, fresh eyes, stranger, surprising power

Melee 0 (Defense 12)
    Agility 2 (Defense 12)
    Resilience 1 (Defense 11)
    Vigilance 1 (Defense 11)
    Ego 1 (Defense 11)
    Logic 0 (Defense 10)

Health: 30
    Damage Multipliers: 1
    Initiative Mod: 1
    Size/ average
    Speed: 5

Powers:
    Blink
    Teleport 1
    Evasion
    Teleport:defense

Backstory:

Samuel is form a dark future where most of earths heroes died when Thanatos won. He grew up with his parents ina underground mutant community. He wants to be a great hero like his dad nightcrawler and his mom Blink who has saved many demensions. Unfortunately one time just a few weeks ago he sneezed when teleporting and he ended up on earth 616. using his powers since he is trying to fine his place in this world and try to meet his “father”
    Last edited by Chronomancer79; 2024-05-12 at 09:32 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Alright, finally settled on something. Decided to go with my Thunderbolt instincts - picked a D-List supercrook, make this be the story of their heroic redemption. So I'm going with this dork.

Spoiler: Blizzard - Donald "Donnie" Gill
    Show

Blizzard
    Height: 5' 9"
    Weight: 170 lbs
    Eyes: Brown
    Hair: Brown
    Skin: White

Origin: High Tech
    Tags: Black Market Access, Convict, Hunted, Streetwise
    Traits: Connections: Criminal, Surprising Power: Elemental Prison, Tech Reliance

Abilities:
    Melee 0 (Defense 10)
    Agility 2 (Defense 12)
    Resilience 1 (Defense 11)
    Vigilance 0 (Defense 10)
    Ego 2 (Defense 12)
    Logic 0 (Defense 10)

Health: 30
    Damage Multipliers: 2 in Agility and Ego, 1 in Melee and Logic

Powers:

- Elemental Burst (Ice)
    - Elemental Prison (Ice)
    - Environmental Protection (Intense cold)
    - Weather Chill

Backstory:

Donald Gill was a small-time crook working under the villainous entrepereneur Justin Hammer. Known in the criminal underworld for supplying his "employees" with advanced and experimental technology to carry out their assignments, Hammer bequeathed unto Donald a cryogenic suit once belonging to a former hired hand. With it he adopted the identity of Blizzard and proceeded to carry out whatever felonious tasks his employer demanded of him, working alongside other super-powered criminals like Blacklash and the Beetle. It wasn't long however before Donnie's prospective new job as a corporate agent came to an abrupt stop thanks to the interference of Iron Man.

Though it was just the start of Blizzard's criminal career; time and again he would manage to escape custody, only to fall in with a veritable rogues' gallery of supervillains, including the Masters of Evil. Inevitably his paths would once again cross the likes of his foe Iron Man, even doing battle with many of the armored Avenger's compatriots among Earth's mightiest heroes. And invariably these skirmishes would often result in his defeat, subsequent capture, and eventual escapes, only to repeat the process all over again.

Though this has not always been the case. Despite evidence to the contrary, Donald has made just as many tries to walk the straight and narrow. He's come under the brief mentorship of his adversary as Tony Stark once in the past, and even for time tried at playing hero with the Thunderbolts. However, every attempt seemed to meet with sudden failure, and the "heroic" Blizzard would revert back to his criminal ways.

Despite this, Donnie is far from being as cold-hearted as he might tell himself otherwise. Perhaps there is still a spark of goodness beneath his icy exterior? Still-burning embers of a noble spirit in need of rekindling to warm his heart and melt away the frostbitten winter that is his sordid past?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, i'll be looking at sheets by the end of this week, and selecting players, though, with the current count, we should be able to take everyone.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A