New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Favored class homebrew rule

Quote Originally Posted by Darg View Post
    I honestly don't see the problem. Is this one of those "pain point" issues that just because something is tedious or boring it just needs to be flat out removed to be considered "fun" gameplay? Because I would wholly disagree. It's not fun having to manage inventory space and weight, or even watching your wealth deteriorate due to how arrows get destroyed. But we do it anyways because it makes all of the excitement and fun when you manage to get the loot back to sell or find several quivers of enhanced arrows all the sweeter.
    I'm absurdly meticulous, and I never mind managing inventory, even space and weight (I'm the guy who, if able to join a game over level 1, actually buys a donkey and wagon to help carry loot from the dungeon).

But that's non-sequitur here, because you'd be hard pressed to find someone who actually ENJOYS having their XP that they earned arbitrarily reduced.

Probably level loss doesn't exist for you either and that's ok. We can each find fun in different aspects of games. I think we can all mostly agree on what constitutes what isn't fun in the game. The part we disagree about is whether those moments that aren't fun bring value to the experience. We all have different values and live different lives. I find that the manipulation of XP is a valuable part of the game that increases the value of XP. Being guaranteed something does a poor job of making you want to protect and sustain what you do have. The threat of level loss is enough for players to not want to die. Yes, it sucks when you do, but the outcome is that you learn to be less reckless and try to protect your life.
    No, I use negative levels by RAW, so all of your conjecture along that line of thinking is entirely false.

It's not about "being guaranteed something", like it's a sense of entitlement somehow. It's having a reward that one EARNED being arbitrarily reduced, especially when one's party members are not facing such a reduction.
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage125 View Post
    I'm absurdly meticulous, and I never mind managing inventory, even space and weight (I'm the guy who, if able to join a game over level 1, actually buys a donkey and wagon to help carry loot from the dungeon).

But that's non-sequitur here, because you'd be hard pressed to find someone who actually ENJOYS having their XP that they earned arbitrarily reduced.

No, I use negative levels by RAW, so all of your conjecture along that line of thinking is entirely false.

It's not about "being guaranteed something", like it's a sense of entitlement somehow. It's having a reward that one EARNED being arbitrarily reduced, especially when one's party members are not facing such a reduction.
    It's like a glass half empty. Depending on how you look at it it's also half full. Considering you had to have made the choice to take a multiclass penalty, you're getting the amount of xp you chose to get. There's nothing arbitrary about it even if you disagree with the reasoning for the existence of the rule in the first place.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

I honestly don't see the problem. Is this one of those "pain point" issues that just because something is tedious or boring it just needs to be flat out removed to be considered "fun" gameplay? Because I would wholly disagree. It's not fun having to manage inventory space and weight, or even watching your wealth deteriorate due to how arrows get destroyed. But we do it anyways because it makes all of the excitement and fun when you manage to get the loot back to sell or find several quivers of enhanced arrows all the sweeter.
    There are actually tons of people who don't do that either (managing inventory space/weight) for the same reasons. The person you were replying to isn't one of them it seems but they're definitely not uncommon. Any sort of bookkeeping is considered quite tedious. If it wont fit on a standard issue print out official 3.5 character sheet, a lot of players don't wanna track it.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Remuko View Post
    a lot of players don't wanna track it.
    I've had games where we agreed to just ignore all the chaff. It's definitely more fun when you're in the mood for quick dungeon crawls that's for sure. That said, I and people I play with don't mind it. As much as having a video game inventory is convenient, it's not exactly what we want out of a more serious campaign.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've had games where we agreed to just ignore all the chaff. It's definitely more fun when you're in the mood for quick dungeon crawls that's for sure. That said, I and people I play with don't mind it. As much as having a video game inventory is convenient, it's not exactly what we want out of a more serious campaign.
    Yeah that's totally fair, I definitely get that people can and do like that, and even why on some level.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I homebrew rule that any race that has an alternative class feature, that class is considered a favored class.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks for your answers.

I have another question. About enchanter variant.

I mean that:

Cohort
    Upon reaching 6th level, an enchanter using this variant gains the service of a loyal cohort of the player's choice (with the game master's approval). The cohort is a 4th-level character when first gained; after that point, follow the normal rules described in the Leadership feat to determine the cohort's level, but treat the enchanter's level as being two lower than normal.

The enchanter doesn't gain any followers from this ability. If the enchanter selects the Leadership feat, he attracts followers as normal, the penalty to the enchanter's effective level is eliminated, and the enchanter automatically qualifies for the "special power" modifier to his Leadership score.

An enchanter using this variant permanently gives up the ability to obtain a familiar.

Is that mean to determining cohort's level you use all class level or only enchanter's levels? For example: could you multiclass or take prestige class and your cohort will still progress as you leveled up?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Prezes View Post
    Is that mean to determining cohort's level you use all class level or only enchanter's levels? For example: could you multiclass or take prestige class and your cohort will still progress as you leveled up?
    A literal interpretation would be that it is based solely you enchanter level when first gained (because it is hard wired to fourth level then), but becomes based on your character level -2 ("as normal") next time you level up.

Personally, I would base it on character level at all times for consistency (and treat the "level 4" as an example).
    (He/him or they/them)

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by glass View Post
    A literal interpretation would be that it is based solely you enchanter level when first gained (because it is hard wired to fourth level then), but becomes based on your character level -2 ("as normal") next time you level up.

Personally, I would base it on character level at all times for consistency (and treat the "level 4" as an example).
    Thanks, I thought so