New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 233839404142434445464748
Results 1,411 to 1,433 of 1433
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Ionathus's Random Banter #249 -- Directionless Rambling Is Now Mandatory

Also Peelee. My volunteer work is temporary. If they like my work, I'm going to be hired with cash money for permanent work.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Ionathus's Random Banter #249 -- Directionless Rambling Is Now Mandatory

My theory of brontosauruses and what it is. They are small at one end, big in the middle and small at the other end. /Ponty Mython.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_E...Brontosauruses

Space aliens: I think, if they exist they are in the Oort cloud.

They are not Earth life, they came through light years of space, adaped to it and they don't like to be close to gravity wells at all, particularly stars, but they're not fond of planets either.

What are they like? they're skinny, not strong, but very clever. They almost must have body changing tech, so they can be any shape that makes sense. This excludes greys because the eyes don't fit the heads, but the rest of the grey design might work, though a dragon would be more fun.

Their great* grandparents might have launched the Chicxulub impactor, Or not, who knows, not me.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2024-07-15 at 01:37 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    My theory of brontosauruses and what it is. They are small at one end, big in the middle and small at the other end. /Ponty Mython.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_E...Brontosauruses

Space aliens: I think, if they exist they are in the Oort cloud.

They are not Earth life, they came through light years of space, adaped to it and they don't like to be close to gravity wells at all, particularly stars, but they're not fond of planets either.

What are they like? they're skinny, not strong, but very clever. They almost must have body changing tech, so they can be any shape that makes sense. This excludes greys because the eyes don't fit the heads, but the rest of the grey design might work, though a dragon would be more fun.

Their great* grandparents might have launched the Chicxulub impactor, Or not, who knows, not me.
    I think you're going to struggle to find any tool using species (which includes any space faring group by definition) that actively doesn't like to be in a gravity well. In order to use tools, you need stuff to make them and use them on. And stuff by and large comes either in tiny little chunks that you can't do much with on their own, or in planet sized chunks that have gravity wells and are in other gravity wells.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hello everyone. A few days ago I wrote Chapter 19 in my D&D: The Dragoon Story so far.

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Colossus in the Playground

It's too damn hot.

Perfect body plans all now for sure include adaptions to be immune to harm or discomfort from heat.

...Also cold, to cover my ass. Don want to be immune to heat only to become dependant on high temperatures or just feel colder in general.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's too damn hot.

Perfect body plans all now for sure include adaptions to be immune to harm or discomfort from heat.

...Also cold, to cover my ass. Don want to be immune to heat only to become dependant on high temperatures or just feel colder in general.
    Join the club.

Anyway, I finally finished my Degrassi: The Dot story in Wattpad (37 chapters). Now I'm going to focus on my other story.

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's too damn hot.
    Yep, it reached twenty seven degrees over here today, annoyingly my Russian friend is comparatively comfortable. I really need to buy a skirt, because unfortunately I'm still expected to wear clothes outside even when I'm melting.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Yep, it reached twenty seven degrees over here today, annoyingly my Russian friend is comparatively comfortable. I really need to buy a skirt, because unfortunately I'm still expected to wear clothes outside even when I'm melting.
    I think one of the unfair parts about temperature is that even with no clothes there's no guarantee it'll be cool enough, but people who are too cold can basically always put on more clothes.

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    I think one of the unfair parts about temperature is that even with no clothes there's no guarantee it'll be cool enough, but people who are too cold can basically always put on more clothes.
    That's why we made roofs for rain and AC for heat.

Also, that's why whenever I ask the old "would you rather be too hot or too cold", I always make sure it's permanently that. If you're too cold and put on more clothes and get warm, you're no longer too cold. That's not the question.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I prefer cold weather any day.

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Sure, and if I could live my entire life right next to an AC, I might not mind hot weather that much. But unlike clothing, it's kinda hard to take with me.

Also, that's why whenever I ask the old "would you rather be too hot or too cold", I always make sure it's permanently that. If you're too cold and put on more clothes and get warm, you're no longer too cold. That's not the question.
    Even with that restriction, I'd take too cold in a heartbeat. It wouldn't be comfortable (since if it was, it wouldn't be too cold) but I'm rather uncomfortably cold than uncomfortably warm.
    Last edited by Batcathat; Yesterday at 02:59 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly I've never seen AC make a difference, at work it drops temperature from 'melting' to 'melting slightly slower'. Cold is just much easier to deal with, if the worst comes to the worst I just need to move more to generate heat.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

13. - Top - End - #1423

Even with that restriction, I'd take too cold in a heartbeat. It wouldn't be comfortable (since if it was, it wouldn't be too cold) but I'm rather uncomfortably cold than uncomfortably warm.
    Other way for me. If it's too warm, I can sleep. Not happily, but I can. If it's too cold, I can't.

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly I've never seen AC make a difference, at work it drops temperature from 'melting' to 'melting slightly slower'. Cold is just much easier to deal with, if the worst comes to the worst I just need to move more to generate heat.
    I do think they can make a difference, but it does depend on model and placing. A few years ago I bought an AC for my home and it does make things a lot better (though I wish it wasn't quite so loud), but a lot of them do indeed just make it slightly less unbearably hot.

Other way for me. If it's too warm, I can sleep. Not happily, but I can. If it's too cold, I can't.
    Yeah, I'm definitely the other way around. Even with the aforementioned AC I feel like I haven't slept that well for like a few months. At the very least, I feel more tired in the mornings than in the winter (yes, I know most people are the other way around).
    Last edited by Batcathat; Yesterday at 03:04 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1425

I do think they can make a difference, but it does depend on model and placing. A few years ago I bought an AC for my home and it does make things a lot better (though I wish it wasn't quite so loud), but a lot of them do indeed just make it slightly less unbearably hot.

Yeah, I'm definitely the other way around. Even with the aforementioned AC I feel like I haven't slept that well for like a few months. At the very least, I feel more tired in the mornings than in the winter (yes, I know most people are the other way around).
    Living your whole life on a glacier probably has an affect on that.

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Ogre in the Playground

Living your whole life on a glacier probably has an affect on that.
    Oh, I wish I was living on a glacier. Well, I don't really like snow and ice either (I usually sum it up by saying I hate weather, it's mostly accurate). I guess my ideal climate would be some sort of snowless tundra, is that a thing?

And trust me, most people around here share your sun worship, I suspect most of my soul mates are in Africa.

17. - Top - End - #1427

Oh, I wish I was living on a glacier. Well, I don't really like snow and ice either (I usually sum it up by saying I hate weather, it's mostly accurate). I guess my ideal climate would be some sort of snowless tundra, is that a thing?

And trust me, most people around here share your sun worship, I suspect most of my soul mates are in Africa.
    As someone who lives not on, but adjacent to, glaciers: it's great until it is summer and you have near 24 hours of sunlight and it heats up to 31 degrees C and you have to have an AC and two fans aimed at you at all times.

The closest you're getting to a place that is approaching tundra in cold but lacking in snow is... maybe a taiga, and even then they still have snow. While I've said that I live in the tundra due to being so far north (and there is some tundra areas up here) we more accurately live on a taiga, or "snowy forest" biome.

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    As someone who lives not on, but adjacent to, glaciers: it's great until it is summer and you have near 24 hours of sunlight and it heats up to 31 degrees C and you have to have an AC and two fans aimed at you at all times.
    The one time I've been on a glacier was actually in the summer with 24 hours of sunlight, but luckily it was on Svalbard where even the summers don't get too hot. I'd consider living there if not for all the snow, several months of complete darkness and occasional polar bear attacks.

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Titan in the Playground

I'm in the hospital for an emergency organ yank! Darn human bodies being so imperfect.

Show

20. - Top - End - #1430

I'm in the hospital for an emergency organ yank! Darn human bodies being so imperfect.
    Oh ****, you okay?
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #1431

The closest you're getting to a place that is approaching tundra in cold but lacking in snow is... maybe a taiga, and even then they still have snow. While I've said that I live in the tundra due to being so far north (and there is some tundra areas up here) we more accurately live on a taiga, or "snowy forest" biome.
    Taigas are cool! The forest part makes up for the snowy part.
    Here's hoping it's not a vital one, and/or that you have a spare!

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Bugbear in the Playground

Which would you say is worse: near 24 hours of sunlight or near 24 hours of night?

At least you're not so far up north you have to worry about vampires.

23. - Top - End - #1433

Oh jeez, hope you're recovering well. As someone who has also lost/replaced organs, prepare for some weird oddities like "it doesn't feel right to sleep on my front anymore" and stuff like that.

Taigas are cool! The forest part makes up for the snowy part.

Here's hoping it's not a vital one, and/or that you have a spare!
    Yeah! We're also up aside a rocky plateau sort of area. The Canadian Shield it's called, which has always been amusing to me for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    Which would you say is worse: near 24 hours of sunlight or near 24 hours of night?

At least you're not so far up north you have to worry about vampires.
    That's honestly a good question. Lack of sunlight will literally kill you if you're not careful because you kinda need the energy you get from the sun... and lack of sunlight to that degree means it is winter so it can get to around -50 C, another example of why living up here can be a nightmare. But sunlight is replaceable and cold is something you can beat with More Warm, whereas the sweltering heat of a 24 hour sunlit day... well, ever since Dad finally opted to get an AC it's been survivable, but there's a level of heat where you can't actually get More Cold, I think?

I genuinely feel bad for any vampires up here. At like midnight on some days it's still as bright as like, noon. That's gotta be some bull****.