New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 49 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Ionathus's Random Banter #249 -- Directionless Rambling Is Now Mandatory

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    American federal holiday celebrating when the last slaves in the states that attempted to secede from the union were freed.
    Oops, just deleted that as reading further it became redundant in my mind. Sorry about that.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Ionathus's Random Banter #249 -- Directionless Rambling Is Now Mandatory

I prefer "Jubilee Day".
    Doesn't sound American enough -- or rather, sounds too British. All I can think of is the Diamond Jubilees of each of Britain's recent Eternal Queens.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Entirely fair. And I can't really deny this, Star Trek TOS was REALLY gay. Like I watched a few clips and I'm like... wow. I get it now.
    I blame the soft light they cast on everybody. They all seem to just glow. Someone pointed it out to me once and when you're looking for it, it's really astonishing how much they crank up the glowy lighting effects on all the closeups.

3. - Top - End - #963
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It's been an official state holiday in Texas since 1980.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

4. - Top - End - #964
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    Doesn't sound American enough -- or rather, sounds too British. All I can think of is the Diamond Jubilees of each of Britain's recent Eternal Queens.
    I'll be sure to tell the black 19th century Texans who coined it that they sound too British.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

5. - Top - End - #965
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Happy belated Juneteenth everyone. My apologies if I was late for the celebration. I was very busy and waiting to hear if I got the job or not.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

6. - Top - End - #966
    Titan in the Playground

I'll be sure to tell the black 19th century Texans who coined it that they sound too British.
    Impossible, it's impossible to conceive of anything 'too British'.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Except the cuisine.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #968
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Except the cuisine.
    Not true, once you've starved the defenders there's nothing better to fling into a castle.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

9. - Top - End - #969

Except the cuisine.
    Nah, that's mostly Indian.
    Well, i would say "understatement", but then you went against the grain just now so i can hardly pull that out, now can I?

10. - Top - End - #970
    Bugbear in the Playground

tongue Re: Ionathus's Random Banter #249 -- Directionless Rambling Is Now Mandatory

Tell that to the Scots. And the Irish. And the French. And the Dutch. And the Germans. And the Spanish....

Well, all of the rest of Europe, really.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    Tell that to the Scots. And the Irish.
    I said 'too British'. It is incredibly easy to be too English.

Well, all of the rest of Europe, really.
    You forgot India. And, well, a large portion of the rest of the world.

Show

12. - Top - End - #972
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I said 'too British'. It is incredibly easy to be too English.

You forgot India. And, well, a large portion of the rest of the world.
    I believe the Irish also have opinions about being too British.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

13. - Top - End - #973
    Titan in the Playground

I believe the Irish also have opinions about being too British.
    Then they can find a new archipelago then.

Show

14. - Top - End - #974
    Titan in the Playground

listening back to my own streams is so weird because my voice is lighter than I thought it was, and my way of speaking more halting, repetitive and unsure than I realized. ugh. I wish I sounded cooler or more feminine.

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

listening back to my own streams is so weird because my voice is lighter than I thought it was, and my way of speaking more halting, repetitive and unsure than I realized. ugh. I wish I sounded cooler or more feminine.
    My oh my, I can sympathize with at least part of this feeling -- I hate hearing recordings of my own voice unless I'd known someone was recording and had my "performing" voice on. But casual conversation? Ugh, I hate that weird discrepancy. And that's just my cis experience so I can't imagine how you must feel.

16. - Top - End - #976
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Apparently its pretty common to dislike listening to recordings of your own voice. Kind of a similar phenomenon to the uncanny valley.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

You hear your own voice through your flesh and bones as well as the air, so a recording through the air only, which is what we have, sounds different.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

18. - Top - End - #978
    Colossus in the Playground

My voice always sounds either deeper or more nasally than I think it does. Sometimes both.

One time we filmed a skit for a Spanish class in college and my attempts at sounding good in Spanish sounded like a "tough but elegant" type from a telenovela which probably sounds weird considering my level of fluency at the time.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #979

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    You hear your own voice through your flesh and bones as well as the air, so a recording through the air only, which is what we have, sounds different.
    Bone conduction headphones exist, and everything (including recordings of your own voice) sound exactly as they do via air transmission.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2024-06-21 at 12:04 PM.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Bone conduction headphones exist, and everything (including recordings of your own voice) sound exactly as they do via air transmission.
    That would seem to indicate that the bone conduction headphones don't work particularly well then.

21. - Top - End - #981

That would seem to indicate that the bone conduction headphones don't work particularly well then.
    Define "work well". Bone conduction headphones sound just like normal headphones or speakers. They accurately reproduce the exact sounds you would hear from any other source, except yourself. They tend to be most useful for people who want to keep their ears clear to not diminish normal hearing, or for people who have their ears plugged to prevent normal hearing (for example, I use them when doing woodworking and have saws and other power tools running).
    Last edited by Peelee; 2024-06-21 at 12:41 PM.

22. - Top - End - #982
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Define "work well". Bone conduction headphones sound just like normal headphones or speakers. They accurately reproduce the exact sounds you would hear from any other source, except yourself. They tend to be most useful for people who want to keep their ears clear to not diminish normal hearing, or for people who have their ears plugged to prevent normal hearing (for example, I use them when doing woodworking and have saws and other power tools running).
    Uhhh... I guess "work well at affecting sound such that it sounds like its originating within your own body" I guess, which was what I had thought the purpose was based on the context you introduced them.

23. - Top - End - #983

It'll get there, and the nervousness and halting will fade with practice- and trust me, I'm familiar with that sort of pain. You DO sound pretty fem though, more than me by any stretch, so don't worry. You've got this.

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Correct! Knowing this doesn't help.

24. - Top - End - #984

mad Re: Ionathus's Random Banter #249 -- Directionless Rambling Is Now Mandatory

Uhhh... I guess "work well at affecting sound such that it sounds like its originating within your own body" I guess, which was what I had thought the purpose was based on the context you introduced them.
    Then nothing works well at that at all, so they work as good as they possibly can. The purpose of my comment was basically to say, "eh, it's not quite as simple as that".

25. - Top - End - #985

Me: tries to take a nap

Brain: starts train of thought starts with trying to survive in a version of New York that is overrun with feral vampires and ends with usurping a Lovecraftian god with authority over serpents and reptiles.

Me: Aborts nap.

...I think there may in fact be genuinely something wrong with me.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #986

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    ...I think there may in fact be genuinely something wrong with me.
    You tell us or ask us that roughly every two weeks.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2024-06-21 at 06:49 PM.

27. - Top - End - #987
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    It'll get there, and the nervousness and halting will fade with practice- and trust me, I'm familiar with that sort of pain. You DO sound pretty fem though, more than me by any stretch, so don't worry. You've got this.
    Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement and reassurance. I found a piece of advice is not to alter the pitch higher but to try and soften the voice as well, but I've been procrastinating on viewing videos that would go more in depth on the exercises needed for some reason.

in other news, read a bit of my Ukiyo-E art book, it not only has beautiful art, but tells the history and events surrounding said art! Its quite interesting really, and I think there are a few things I could use from its art in my own works, like the sky always being a blend or the way they make those waves.

28. - Top - End - #988

Kinda Sad Pop Culture Trivia.

A recurring plotline in the late 90s, early 2000s children's program Hey Arnold! was how Helga Pataki, bully/stalker of main character Arnold, has an incredibly ****ty home life, being neglected by both parents who favor her older sister Olga, to whom Helga is sometimes compared unfavorably.

In particular, her father "Big Bob" regularly refers to her by her sister's name.

...Helga and Olga are cognates. That is to say, the similar soundings words with the same meaning in different languages: They are respectively the German and Russian words that mean something along the lines of "blessed" or "successful."

The favoritism goes back to the day Helga was born: She was given a variation on her sister's name, as if she was expected to be Olga 2 rather than her own person.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #989
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I don't get how people in Las Vegas can survive extreme heat. In context, believe it or not the highest temperature in Las Vegas is 130 degrees!
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

30. - Top - End - #990
    Orc in the Playground

Meanwhile where I live the last two months have been blessed with a wonderfully temperate weather.
    In late March we had 25°C (77°F) and I was worried it was heralding a suffocating summer, but instead the temperature kept fluctuating in the 15-22°C range for weeks. I'm in no hurry to get 100°F like last summer ; I can handle a bit of cold but there's little I can do against the heat except drink a lot of water. I would wish for this kind of weather every year, but the same clouds that protected me against the wrath of the sun also caused floods elsewhere in France unfortunately.
    On a fateful evening, I foolishly sworn myself to follow Xykon's updated speech rule ...thing. The twelve gods know that I regretted my decision ...since then ...multiple times.