New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 48 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Ionathus's Random Banter #249 -- Directionless Rambling Is Now Mandatory

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Pretty standard Mascot Horror stuff.
    When you think about it, that's such a weird (and oddly popular) genre. Is it all Five Nights at Freddie's fault or are people just generally living in fear of mascots?

2. - Top - End - #932
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Ionathus's Random Banter #249 -- Directionless Rambling Is Now Mandatory

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    When you think about it, that's such a weird (and oddly popular) genre. Is it all Five Nights at Freddie's fault or are people just generally living in fear of mascots?
    FNAF codified it as its own genre, but examples predate FNAF.

and it makes sense: On the one hand, mascot costumes, animatronics like you'd see at a Chuck E Cheese, and certain types of puppets can all be unsettling to a degree... And the idea fo subverted innocence, that something like a cartoon or a character meant to entertain children is or has been used for something malicious is terrifying all on its own.

So it's very much the same logic that sparks the fear of clowns, or those low-budget horror movies about killer Snow Men or murderous Mall Santas.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say people have long had a tongue-in-cheek fear of mascots, similarly to clowns. I can think of a few examples and pseudo-examples in horror before FNaF; the Chucky movies technically count IMO.

But FNaF definitely opened the floodgates for trend chasers. I don't think it would be a common horror game genre without FNaF popularizing the concept. Most mascot horror titles feel like really cynical cash-ins TBH.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Does rule 12 of Random Banter threads apply to statements about being first for things other than the thread it's being posted in?
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain: It's a bit odd for that to be in the "rules" for Random Banter, since it's an actual rule for these boards overall. To wit (bolding mine):
    Minor Spam
    Minor spam refers to posts that do not add to any discussion; often, one word posts will fall under this ruling (outside of SMBG games which require one-word responses of course). For example, quoting another users post and putting "QFT" or "quoted for truth," or a similar agreement, without adding any additional information of your own would fall under this rule. Posting any page or response claim - for example, "first page! or "first response!" would also fall under this heading, even if you include other discussion in your post. Posts that note "in before the lock" or merely warn that the thread will end badly are also minor spam. Likewise, posts that merely bump a thread (whether that post is "bump" or "this happened") are minor spam. It also includes comments hazing new posters no matter how innocuous. Posts of this type will be removed or edited, and the poster may be issued an Infraction.
    Also, for future reference, questions on rules clarifications (even "thread rules", as is the case here or in curated threads elsewhere on the site) would be better served by being PMs directly to moderators, or best yet, posted to the Board and Site Issues sub-forum.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

5. - Top - End - #935
    Firbolg in the Playground

Pop culture Trivia: In the IDW comics continuity for Transformers, cybertronians are "male" by default and only developed a concept of "female" when interacting with organic species which lead to some of them thinking over the concept and coming to the conclusion that "male" didn't feel right for them.

Essentially, in that continuity, all female presenting Transformers are trans fem.
    I think you've omitted an implicit but important initial step. Presumably they didn't develop a concept of "male" either until making concept with organic life

EDIT:
    Also, minor nitpick, and this might not apply to the specific continuity you're talking about, but not all Transformers are ipso facto cybertronian. The Bot-Bots and (arguably) Suri Sumdac being counterexamples
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2024-06-18 at 11:46 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

6. - Top - End - #936

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I think you've omitted an implicit but important initial step. Presumably they didn't develop a concept of "male" either until making concept with organic life
    I am presenting the facts as they were presented to me.

Admittedly, "did not have a concept of gender until met species with differing gender roles" would make more sense, but "sexless species defaults to one gender" isn't exactly a rare trope.
    EDIT:
    Also, minor nitpick, and this might not apply to the specific continuity you're talking about, but not all Transformers are ipso facto cybertronian. The Bot-Bots and (arguably) Suri Sumdac being counterexamples
    Sari is referred to repeatedly as being cybrtronian in origin and, had the show not been canceled, an arc of her going to Cybertron to learn her "native culture" would have occured. What's arguable is how she got to Earth and how she was able to assume a human alt-mode.

However it does raise the point that the IDW continuity's rules for how this work isn't universal: Sari was "born" female despite scanning a male human to form her alt-mode suggesting that the protoform was female by default, which in turn suggests that in that continuity cybertronians do have discreet "sexes," for lack of a better term, that roughly correlates with gender.

If Transmutate is anything to go by, meanwhile, the G1 continuity in the Beast Wars era seems to default to a gender-neutral "it" and use of gendered pronouns and gender-presenting forms is a matter of preference: Transmutate is referred to exclusively as "it" because the other characters can't tell and it is not capable of answering.

(Beast Wars Uprising, a sort of alternate continuity of the show, depicts Transmutate as female but 1: That started life as a fan comic so I'm not sure how canonical it is and 2: I kind of have issues with that depiction of her and, given that that continuity radically different origins for the Maximals and Predacons, I'm legitimately unsure whether or not she can be considered the same character..)

...Finally, an Ask Vector Prime entry suggests that techno-organics regardless of continuity are capable of sexual reproduction, so... Make of that what you will.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Fake trivia for comedy
    Show
    Did you know? The provinces of Canadia are:
    Albertson's.
    Columbian Britain.
    Mani-pedi.
    One New Brick.
    Poodle and German Shepherd.
    Top-weast Areas*.
    None of it.
    Some of it.
    All of it.
    Supermario.
    Trebek.
    Prince Albert in a Can.
    Worcestershire.

(*capital city: Orangespoon)
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2024-06-19 at 01:38 AM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

8. - Top - End - #938
    Titan in the Playground

Isn't that the same continuity that removed Doctor X's cool robot hand and mohican?

I'll chalk this up to "the writers weren't thinking that deeply about sex and gender'.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

9. - Top - End - #939

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post

EDIT:
    Within the IDW continuity the Transformers as a race where built along the lines of a "band of brothers" mentality by their creators. They're all dudes and they all link arms and protect each other as they do their construction work and fighting and... well. Brotherly, manly unity... in every way. This is what my point about the homonormative culture stems from, actually. It is only once they've met other species, found that they are NOT a uniform sex, and started experimenting with their own presentation, that in this continuity trans formers start to exist.

Sari and those bot-bots are from a different continuity that don't follow these rules. It's a directly bespoke point in Transformers that other realities exist so we can't actually paint any general scope on the canon beyond the most basic ass premise stuff like "they sure do be robots".

UNRELATED: I finished my comic strip. My friend Saria will be doing thumbnails for it later. This is Going To Happen!
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2024-06-19 at 10:06 AM.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Titan in the Playground

I now want a comic where Optimus Prime admits he's been a closeted lesbian all along.

...oh screw it, I want every major comics character to reveal that.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

11. - Top - End - #941
    Titan in the Playground

Happy Juneteenth, everyone.

Essentially, in that continuity, all female presenting Transformers are trans fem.
    Wow. I didn't expect Transformers to be a bastion of transfem representation.

So, my birthday is in two days, on the 19th, so to celebrate I'd thought I'd do something special: try out being a streamer at least once to see if I like doing it, specifically for Elden Ring preparing for the DLC, and I'd though I'd go around letting people know in the communities and friend groups I have about this stream, which I plan to stream on raziere23 on Twitch at June 19th, 12 PM Pacific Time. If you can make it, I'd appreciate you coming, and if you can't, thats fine and I understand that you probably have your reasons. Just letting you know in advance, and if all goes well I'll do more streams exploring Shadow of the Erdtree.
    Happy birthday! Hope the stream is going well. I've never gotten into the streaming/streamwatcher subculture, but I hope you're having lots of fun.

12. - Top - End - #942

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    I prefer "Jubilee Day".

13. - Top - End - #943
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I prefer "Jubilee Day".
    This is the first time I've heard the name and I now also prefer it.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #944
    Titan in the Playground

I prefer "Jubilee Day".
    I feel like part of the point of the holiday is that your and my opinions don't matter on the name lol.

15. - Top - End - #945

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I now want a comic where Optimus Prime admits he's been a closeted lesbian all along.

...oh screw it, I want every major comics character to reveal that.
    While that would be fun, it's important to note that a big recurring plot occurrence is that Optimus and Megatron definitely wanna bone down to some degree. Depends on the canon of course.

Wow. I didn't expect Transformers to be a bastion of transfem representation.

Happy birthday! Hope the stream is going well. I've never gotten into the streaming/streamwatcher subculture, but I hope you're having lots of fun.
    Happy Juneteenth!

Yeah! Especially weird in that the first female transformer, Arcee, was introduced with the plotline of "an evil scientist knocked her out and modified her to be female". Later stories reclaimed this and it is rad.

I prefer "Jubilee Day".
    *slightly louder* Happy Juneteenth!

16. - Top - End - #946

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Yeah! Especially weird in that the first female transformer, Arcee, was introduced with the plotline of "an evil scientist knocked her out and modified her to be female".
    Wow um, okay. That's definitely a thing.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Firbolg in the Playground

I prefer "Jubilee Day".
    Me as well
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

18. - Top - End - #948
    Titan in the Playground

While that would be fun, it's important to note that a big recurring plot occurrence is that Optimus and Megatron definitely wanna bone down to some degree. Depends on the canon of course.
    A lot of human media has to deal with the fact that a majority (although not all) of the human race wants to run their private parts on another person's private parts. These feelings show up everywhere because the likelihood is that any particular creative wants to do it at some point while making the work.

I also consider the entirety of humanity's progress to be driven by a game of one-upmanship in regards to kinky sex.

The end result is that Star Trek got a lot less gay as more women joined the main cast.

Show

19. - Top - End - #949
    Titan in the Playground

I had fun with it, the fights went surprisingly well, I got everything I wanted done and more and I had fun commenting on things. think I'll do the same for the DLC, though looking back at the recording I'll have to adjust the audio, I think both my voice and the game are too quiet, as well as other things I'd have to work out. if nothing else streaming be a way to give more structure and schedule to my gaming. like I was stressed out about it all morning before it started trying to get every detail I can right but then when it got going I just kinda relaxed.

20. - Top - End - #950

The original Marvel and UK Transformers Comics are A ****ing Lot, yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    A lot of human media has to deal with the fact that a majority (although not all) of the human race wants to run their private parts on another person's private parts. These feelings show up everywhere because the likelihood is that any particular creative wants to do it at some point while making the work.

I also consider the entirety of humanity's progress to be driven by a game of one-upmanship in regards to kinky sex.

The end result is that Star Trek got a lot less gay as more women joined the main cast.
    Entirely fair. And I can't really deny this, Star Trek TOS was REALLY gay. Like I watched a few clips and I'm like... wow. I get it now.

I had fun with it, the fights went surprisingly well, I got everything I wanted done and more and I had fun commenting on things. think I'll do the same for the DLC, though looking back at the recording I'll have to adjust the audio, I think both my voice and the game are too quiet, as well as other things I'd have to work out. if nothing else streaming be a way to give more structure and schedule to my gaming. like I was stressed out about it all morning before it started trying to get every detail I can right but then when it got going I just kinda relaxed.
    You should personally DM me your link so I can follow you because I'd intended to watch this but a million other things made me forget when this was.

21. - Top - End - #951
    Titan in the Playground

You should personally DM me your link so I can follow you because I'd intended to watch this but a million other things made me forget when this was.
    Its okay, you were kind to me when I missed your streams so it'd be hypocritical and ungrateful of me to not do so return- you had other things on your mind and its not as if your obligated to watch me, so don't beat yourself up about it. Besides I'm more focused on figuring out what to do about Shadow of the Erdtree, if I'll do more streams for that and if I do, how to improve. at least with those the planning stages will be easier because I'll just be able to explore without know whats going to happen.

Besides! its not the only thing that happened on my birthday, I got gifts! volume 1 of a version of Journey to the West, a book an Ukiyo-E artbook, and a ukiyo-e like tapestry to hang in my room. art to appreciate always makes a day good.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2024-06-19 at 08:46 PM.

22. - Top - End - #952
    Titan in the Playground

I prefer "Jubilee Day."
    I've never heard that name as an alternative for Juneteenth, so I looked it up on Wikipedia. Two out of three references about "Jubilee Day" were incorrect, but the third link mentions:

June 19 became Afro-Texans' new "Emancipation Day" or "Jubilee Day."

So I guess it was a Texas thing first. Pretty neat. I wonder when the name shifted over.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I feel like part of the point of the holiday is that your and my opinions don't matter on the name lol.
    This is funny.

Happy Juneteenth!

Yeah! Especially weird in that the first female transformer, Arcee, was introduced with the plotline of "an evil scientist knocked her out and modified her to be female". Later stories reclaimed this and it is rad.
    Glad later stories modified the original plotline.

Cool! I'm glad it seems like the right sort of thing for you. It would probably stress me out to have so many people watch me be bad at games.

23. - Top - End - #953

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    *slightly louder* Happy Juneteenth!
    Y'all are aware that "Jubilee Day" as a name predates "Juneteenth" and was coined by the same community, yes? It may be a less popular name for it currently but it's a historical KY accurate name and conveys the importance of the day - ie, a major milestone - much better, IMO. And it's not as if holidays can't have multiple names (eg Independence Day is also very commonly referred to as simply "July Fourth").

ETA: Also, if you think part of they point of the holiday is some people's opinions don't matter, then i think there is some fundamental misinterpretation of the point of the holiday.
    So I guess it was a Texas thing first. Pretty neat. I wonder when the name shifted over.
    Texas is also the origin of the holiday to start with.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2024-06-19 at 09:44 PM.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, that I knew. I was just trying to trace the origin of the holiday's names and their histories.

25. - Top - End - #955
    Titan in the Playground

Cool! I'm glad it seems like the right sort of thing for you. It would probably stress me out to have so many people watch me be bad at games.
    From what I can tell from watching challenge runners and speedrunners, the truly top-tier gamers of the world aren't people who are so skilled they get it the first time, they're the people who are willing to be bad enough times, to fail as many times as it takes to get even a single victory, because I guarantee you those gamers have died more times in a single challenge run than you have playing anything normally. like their true power isn't the skills they have, thats just the side effect or result, their true power is their sheer willingness to keep at it long past anyone else would consider doing it reasonable. any perfect run of some hard challenge you see in a youtube video, I guarantee you is built on the corpses of hundreds of failed runs. this relates to saying I've heard "anything worth doing well, is worth doing poorly" as you can't everything on the first try and must learn and learn over and over again.

so to me, I don't consider myself at that stressful place, because I don't do those kinds of challenge runs and have just started out, so its not as bad as say a guy who takes 500-something tries to beat Pokemon Emerald Kaizo Nuzlocke, who has an audience of thousands or so, seeing those failures happening over and over again, over months just to get to one run that beats the game, and they seem to be able to stand it and do those challenges over and over again. Its all relative.

26. - Top - End - #956

Y'all are aware that "Jubilee Day" as a name predates "Juneteenth" and was coined by the same community, yes? It may be a less popular name for it currently but it's a historical KY accurate name and conveys the importance of the day - ie, a major milestone - much better, IMO. And it's not as if holidays can't have multiple names (eg Independence Day is also very commonly referred to as simply "July Fourth").

ETA: Also, if you think part of they point of the holiday is some people's opinions don't matter, then i think there is some fundamental misinterpretation of the point of the holiday.

I'm well aware, don't worry. I was just under the impression that Juneteenth was the more proper and accepted name for it, for reasons I cannot say outloud.

I don't think that myself, though I know you're not referring to me with that statement.

27. - Top - End - #957

I'm well aware, don't worry. I was just under the impression that Juneteenth was the more proper and accepted name for it, for reasons I cannot say outloud.
    It is the official name. I wouldn't say "more proper". And despite quite a bit of searching over time, I've never seen any actual reason for the change to Juneteenth, so I'm not sure where you discovered a reason (and I understand the inability to say!regardless(.

28. - Top - End - #958
    Ogre in the Playground

I must admit I wasn't familiar with the holiday under either name. On one hand, I can explain it by not being American, but on the other hand pop culture has made me fairly familiar with other American holidays like Thanksgiving, 4th of July, etc, so (unless I haven't been paying attention, always a possibility) I'm guessing it hasn't had as much focus in pop culture, which seems like a shame.
    Last edited by Batcathat; 2024-06-20 at 03:13 AM.

29. - Top - End - #959

I must admit I wasn't familiar with the holiday under either name. On one hand, I can explain it by not being American, but on the other hand pop culture has made me fairly familiar with other American holidays like Thanksgiving, 4th of July, etc, so (unless I haven't been paying attention, always a possibility) I'm guessing it hasn't had as much focus in pop culture, which seems like a shame.
    It's the newest federal holiday, only federally recognized a few years ago.

30. - Top - End - #960

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Wot? I don't think we have that, whatever it is. Or maybe it's just me that doesn't know?
    American federal holiday celebrating when the last slaves in the states that attempted to secede from the union were freed.