New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 31819202122232425262728
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Works where you were surprised to learn you were in the minority of viewers

The story that I was led to believe was the originator of the term was about a boy who found a dog that everyone he met agreed was incredibly shaggy. As a result he enters the dog in a series of competitions exclusively for shaggy dogs, only to lose in the grand final because, according to the judge, 'he's not that shaggy'. It's an utterly pointless ending that barely even qualifies as a punchline, but it is nonetheless an ending.

There's also the one about a man who visits a monastery and hears a loud repetitive banging sound coming from a tower on the grounds. The monks tell him that they can't explain it or show him what it is because he's not a monk. He then asks to become a monk so he can find out. The monks subject him to a series of bizarre and convoluted trials until eventually they permit him to become one of them and allow him to enter the tower where the noise is coming from.

Spoiler: Punchline
    Show
    But I can't tell you what he found there because you're not a monk!

2. - Top - End - #812
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Works where you were surprised to learn you were in the minority of viewers

Quote Originally Posted by llama-hedge View Post
    The story that I was led to believe was the originator of the term was about a boy who found a dog that everyone he met agreed was incredibly shaggy. As a result he enters the dog in a series of competitions exclusively for shaggy dogs, only to lose in the grand final because, according to the judge, 'he's not that shaggy'. It's an utterly pointless ending that barely even qualifies as a punchline, but it is nonetheless an ending.

There's also the one about a man who visits a monastery and hears a loud repetitive banging sound coming from a tower on the grounds. The monks tell him that they can't explain it or show him what it is because he's not a monk. He then asks to become a monk so he can find out. The monks subject him to a series of bizarre and convoluted trials until eventually they permit him to become one of them and allow him to enter the tower where the noise is coming from.

Spoiler: Punchline
    Show
    But I can't tell you what he found there because you're not a monk!
    See also: Golf Balls, Purple Polka Dots; The Word (Subtitle: The Moral of the Story).

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

3. - Top - End - #813
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

... And also the one about the little purple world, where a man slowly falls into crime and ends up imprisoned. The story finishes in a horrendous colour pun.

(Now that I reflect on it, possibly even two puns as the prose is usually particularly florid...)
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

4. - Top - End - #814
    Barbarian in the Playground

To gently nudge this in a less played-out direction:

I just replayed Doom 3, and I still think it was a seriously underrated game. It still has some of the best atmospheric design I've ever seen in a video game, and it does it will still being a fairly face-paced action shooter. I liked it a lot more than Doom 2016.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BloodSquirrel View Post
    To gently nudge this in a less played-out direction:

I just replayed Doom 3, and I still think it was a seriously underrated game. It still has some of the best atmospheric design I've ever seen in a video game, and it does it will still being a fairly face-paced action shooter. I liked it a lot more than Doom 2016.
    Doom 3 is interesting because Iím pretty sure it was quite well reviewed at the time. There were memes about the flashlight, but the shadow tech was revolutionary and it did have a great atmosphere. I think the game just didnít age well as it got a reputation for being a carnival haunted house. I tried to get into Doom 2016 and couldnt, but I played Doom 3 to completion.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Doom 3 is interesting because Iím pretty sure it was quite well reviewed at the time. There were memes about the flashlight, but the shadow tech was revolutionary and it did have a great atmosphere. I think the game just didnít age well as it got a reputation for being a carnival haunted house. I tried to get into Doom 2016 and couldnt, but I played Doom 3 to completion.
    It's kinda funny... Those two games are actually pretty good... But focus on completely different aspects of the original Doom games.

Doom 3's focus is on atmosphere and horror... While Doom 2016 focuses on the fast-paced action and exploration (which is probably closer to the goal of the original games).

They are both alright... Although I will say that Doom 3 sometimes felt like it wants to be a different franchise. It'd probably have been better received if it wasn't named Doom, TBH.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2024-07-02 at 09:32 AM.

7. - Top - End - #817

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    It got decent reviews, but there was a lot of backlash because it wasn't Doom-y enough. Which I don't think was ever really fair, because if you want to blast demons with a shotgun, there's plenty of that to be had.

Having just replayed it, I think it aged pretty well. Like I said, the atmospheric design is still top-notch. As a shooter, it's a little basic, but it gets all of the fundamentals right. The thing that has aged the worst has been the character models, which are jarringly low-poly by today's standards.

Honestly, it aged a lot better than Half-Life 2, imo. I played that game years ago and it felt more antiquated then than Doom 3 did today. Neither game had the mechanical complexity and encounter design that Halo was putting forward at the time, but Doom 3 does its own thing and does it pretty well, where as Half-Life 2 was really just sort of a technical showcase and doesn't do anything particularly well. If you updated Doom 3's graphics you could release it today as a new game and it would maybe feel like a little bit of a throw-back. I can't imagine HL2 getting much attention if it had been released even a few years later.
    Last edited by BloodSquirrel; 2024-07-02 at 12:31 PM.

8. - Top - End - #818

As long as we're talking about Doom, I was pretty shocked that most people seem to like Doom Eternal more than Doom 2016. The platforming was better, but the combat is a chore. If I want to continually maintain my rotation to keep all my abilities on cooldown, I'll go back to MMO raids.

9. - Top - End - #819
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

It got decent reviews, but there was a lot of backlash because it wasn't Doom-y enough. Which I don't think was ever really fair, because if you want to blast demons with a shotgun, there's plenty of that to be had.
    See this is where I think Doom 3 commits its most egregious sin.

The shotgun sucks.

They turned it into this super random gun to be the multiplayer noobcannon instead of the rocket launcher, so whilst it does high damage per pellet the spread is massive such that if you stick it right in an Imp's face it can still take anywhere between one and three shots before it connects enough in the right place to make it die.

(Doom Eternal is worse than Doom 2016. The combat is too prescriptive with specific enemy weakspots to be shot with specific gun upgrades, and it takes the Doom Lore way way too seriously. Sadly I expect both trends to continue in the new one).

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I much prefer Quake 1 to Doom 1.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

11. - Top - End - #821

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I much prefer Quake 1 to Doom 1.
    Quake came several years after Doom*. That it is a better game in both a technical and thematic sense should not be surpising. If nothing else, the full 3D was an improvement over Doom's "only 1 elevation per space".

*I don't know which came out when, but I remember getting through a Doom clone several times between when my brother acquired it and when he acquired Quake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Quake came several years after Doom*. That it is a better game in both a technical and thematic sense should not be surpising. If nothing else, the full 3D was an improvement over Doom's "only 1 elevation per space".

*I don't know which came out when, but I remember getting through a Doom clone several times between when my brother acquired it and when he acquired Quake.
    Doom came out in 93, Quake was 96.

I never actually played Doom, but I played Quake quite a bit and never fell in love with it. I think some of this was down to the environments and setting, which with the benefit of hindsight felt like they were trying too hard to be edgy in a slightly naive way - sludgy and humourless. Compare with the amount I - and everyone else - played GoldenEye, which came out the following year and had the handicap of console controls.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

13. - Top - End - #823

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post

Quake 1 is also well known now for being a pretty troubled development, because it was so bleeding edge technically at the time and the tech they were using kept changing as they were making it, and they weren't really making any progress on the actual *game* part of the game they were intending to make, which was a big ambitious fantasy game with RPG elements and stuff, until they got to a point where they basically threw out all their original design concepts and just did space-marine-and-guns again.

That's why there's not really what you would consider a coherent plot. The four acts seem to completely disagree with each other about what's going on because they were mostly made in isolation and were made for a fantasy game that turned into a shooter later, the two original expansions disagree with the main game and the newer expansions disagree with those (and have their entire own idea about Quake 1 and 2 actually having continuity).

I'm not sure I prefer it to Doom because I find Doom's environment, enemies*, and levels** a lot more memorable, but I still play it.

*Expecially the noises. Almost everything in Doom has a really memorable sighted and death noise in a way Quake doesn't.

**Quake's original levels are clearly victims of the limitations of the sort of PCs they had to be built on and the fact that the full 3d engine was being developed as they were building. Even the ones in the expansions are more complex, and the ones Machinegames made with and for modern PCs are fantastic.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I heard a lot of good things about Orcenomics, so i gave it a try. I'm not sure I'm even interested enough to finish it. It reads like someone trying very hard to be Terry Pratchett, who is very much not Terry Pratchett.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I heard a lot of good things about Orcenomics, so i gave it a try. I'm not sure I'm even interested enough to finish it. It reads like someone trying very hard to be Terry Pratchett, who is very much not Terry Pratchett.
    If you consider it a thinly veiled criticism of American investment banking practices with a pseudo-fantasy wallpaper pasted on it's... Somewhat serviceable? At the time it was written the banking crisis was fresh in the cultural zeitgeist and the author did a great job paralleling that for a wider audience, but honestly as a stand-alone work in its own right it's not all that good, and the sequel definitely didn't wow me as it moved away from that basic premise.

I think you're pretty much bang on the money with the Author wanting to be Terry Pratchett, though.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    If you consider it a thinly veiled criticism of American investment banking practices with a pseudo-fantasy wallpaper pasted on it's... Somewhat serviceable? At the time it was written the banking crisis was fresh in the cultural zeitgeist and the author did a great job paralleling that for a wider audience, but honestly as a stand-alone work in its own right it's not all that good, and the sequel definitely didn't wow me as it moved away from that basic premise.

I think you're pretty much bang on the money with the Author wanting to be Terry Pratchett, though.
    I had not heard of it at all, so at word 9 I was asking myself "Have I read any Discworld with Orcs?". So, yeah, it screams Mortgage Derivatives! at the top of its lungs.

Too soon?

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

17. - Top - End - #827

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post

I've heard about, and I suspect that I would find it a deeply annoying book unless it was written by someone who actually knew enough about economics and the financial crisis to not just be regurgitating popular myths and memes about it.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Troll in the Playground

I've heard about, and I suspect that I would find it a deeply annoying book unless it was written by someone who actually knew enough about economics and the financial crisis to not just be regurgitating popular myths and memes about it.
    While he's not an actual economist, the author clearly did plenty of research about the root causes of the crash, and does a reasonably good job of converting that to a fantasy pastiche. Or at least good enough for me, also not an economist but reasonably financially literate and having read a couple of books on the subject of the 2008 crash specifically, to not notice anything particularly wrong about it. It's not just 'banks dumb, lol', it correctly identifies that the crash wasn't so much caused by bad banking practices, but rather by a bubble bursting that nobody lots of people never saw coming because bad banking practices were artificially inflating the metrics economists and government agencies used to judge things.

None of which is to say I'd actually recommend reading it if that would concern you. It's a good book for handing to a nerd who's curious about how the crash went down but can't handle reading dry nonfiction, and that's about as far as I'd flog it. I only just barely got invested enough to finish the thing, and I dropped the series after the second book and haven't read anything else from that author, and I wouldn't say I have super high standards when it comes to my genre fiction.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

19. - Top - End - #829

SwashbucklerGuy

Reading all the other answers here, the Orconomics series has just become a prime example for the topic of this thread. I liked it, read the whole series, and assumed that it was generally well-liked. Consider me surprised, when reading all the negative opinions here. Yes, it is exactly the same kind of book that Terry Pratchett could have written, but there is nothing wrong with that. It filled my need for that kind of story, that I was missing for so long.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

I never read it but I hate it's name.