New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Lord of the Rings - Rings of Power Season 2 [airs August 29th]

I didn't like a lot of the art I saw online... quite a bit was too flashy for how I imagine Lord of the Rings. Too much D&D style magic. I also kinda wish they didn't take so many design clues from the movies and were a bit more book accurate, for example with the ents or the balrog.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2024-06-04 at 04:53 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by runeghost View Post
    No matter how you feel about Shadow of Mordor, it was never going to be the only LotR video game, nor the only take on those parts of the legendarium. (Heck, RoP itself has a whole different take on Celebrimbor!) But for the big story of the Second Age, done with a large budget? This is the only version many of us are ever likely to see on screen. That makes seeing it done poorly a painful lost opportunity.
    Not necessarily. They're already rebooting BSG and it's only been two decades. That is the fate of all modern hollywood properties: To be rebooted ad infinitum so long as there is a shred of profit to be made off of it. Regrettably, I would expect future reboots to be just as bad or worse, as they would be made with an eye towards cashing in, not for love of the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan
    The only people who got it even more wrong were Wizards of the Coast, who made a special unique The One Ring, which was the most rare magic card ever and sold for several million dollars.

Actually, that's kinda also getting it extremely right.
    It's getting it exactly right. There was only the One Ring in all of middle earth and if it had ever been put up for auction in universe the bidding would have been fierce indeed. Kings would bid their entire kingdoms just to have that one ring, becuase with it they could win it all back and more besides.

Also, the defining characteristic of humans in middle earth is the quest for power, and that is what the One Ring grants. And if it gave immortality on top of that? Many would consider that a feature, not a bug.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

"As for the rest, I'd like to take a moment to compliment your dedication to rational discussion. You are a gentleperson and a scholar, and I salute you."
    -- DaedalusMkV

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    The only people who got it even more wrong were Wizards of the Coast, who made a special unique The One Ring, which was the most rare magic card ever and sold for several million dollars.

Actually, that's kinda also getting it extremely right.
    The best part is, that they also made a mechanic for being tempted by the ring. While The One Ring itself has some drawbacks and will eventually kill you if you use it too often, the mechanic of being tempted by the ring is all upside. You want to be tempted as quickly and as often as possible. Just as Tolkien intended.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh yeah, I forgot that part.

It would have been so easy too. Make powerful cards with the drawback that you're losing your will to resist the ring, with the temptation table being all negative.
    Resident Vancian Apologist