New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Guardians of Tomorrowville (Superhero game, custom system)

Plenty of ways to do it depending on what sort of benchmark one wants.

For Star's powers how I'm pretty open on specifics since I could get away with more basic versions but I see them working as follows:

Spoiler: Powers
    Show
    -- Invincibility: What takes this from 8 to 16 to 32 while keeping in mind what I said above? Well when I yolo it up that high I thought it would be amusing if Star can shrug off not simply all environments or magic/mind control but even the most esoteric stuff imaginable. Conceptual attacks that rewrite reality, bargaining in a time loop, the non-euclidean angles from beyond madness wall, you name it. She's a 'fixed point' in the universe of sorts, you can with Kryptonian strength beat her down but you can't ever outsmart her resistance. This would manifest as something like if its doesn't target her deliberately it probably doesn't work but focused intent can intrude on her little reality wall so roll dice with your Leaguer class fireball or mind control or such.

-- Super Strength: Life large ships, skyscrapers, and kaiju class. Stuff that is still a discrete object and maybe has a prayer of holding together, but try to move a mountain and she'll just dig her hand into the rock. Also she has to be very careful with this because she lives in a World of Cardboard as one of her complications.

-- Flight: Star just moves in the direction she wants, can hover or fly backward etc. In space, air, underwater she can move. How fast would be however fast the GM feels is acceptable and with respect to her Complications.

-- Heat Generation: Sort of an underlying power, her body generates tons of energy so she can let it out, probably pretty short ranges and wide spread NOT heat vision lasers.

-- Telepathy: How she knows English or any other language. So focused on short range communication not deep mind dives or being J'onn J'ozz Global Cellphone.

-- Warframe: What does a superwoman need with a space ship? Well getting around and such. That's what I need it to do, if the GM allows it I'd also like it to be a sort of secret weapon that lets Star uses her abilities on a larger scale. Fight kaiju, space battleships, alien invasions. And yes this would include functioning as a mecha why do you ask? Superman has robots, stop giving me that look!

Incidentally her unifying concept is psychic powers and her alien heritage are probably more Martian then Kyrptonian.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Feathersnow View Post
    This is a good point. My first Instinct is to increase all DC's by 2/3 and then use a d8.

As for powers- my powers have few if any modifications. This, I am interpreting to mean I have only the weakest, most literal versions. Like- if Amazo tries to copy Johnny Storm, he ends up burning himself. I have godlike shadow magic- only useful for things cats can already do.

Modifications are things like "cast spells with magic" or "steal the best power instead of the flashiest."
    Okay, well I should probably specify the calculations on my powers:
    The 64-point power is really two separate 16-point powers with x2 modifiers for being both powerful and fundamental/broad. I combined them because they're the same sort of power and they're tied to one another in their origin.
    The "body" power is 16 points because it's the whole "ye olde ridiculously-resilient elemental being" power that includes broad invulnerabilities to normal and biological attack forms, flight, regeneration, the kitchen sink, and exceptional sensory and physical capabilities. Nothing's really a modifier since it's a pretty monolithic, tropey power, whereas the "I have elemental magic bs surrounding light and darkness" is definitely going to warrant a multiplier for being essentially magic.
    There are 1d20 types of people in the world: people that always roll natural 1 when it matters.

I don't know why, but I think more people have studied linguistics than I have.
    ...yes, the above sentence is in fact meaningless. But you did a double-take, didn't you?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

New version of Nyx:

Spoiler: Nyx
    Show

Rankings: (19)
    Strength: 1
    Dexterity: 2
    Constitution: 2
    Intelligence: 8
    Wisdom: 6
    Charisma: 0

Abilities: (109)
    1: Good Looks
    4: Telekinetic Movement (Flight 4)
    4: Healing Touch (Healing 8, x0.5 for only one at a time)
    8: Psychic (whole-suite Psychic powers 8)
    12: Nearly Arch-Mage (All Magic 8, x1.5 (Immense Skill in Shadow Magic, good at all others))
    32: God-like Telekinesis (32, or Telekinesis 8, x4 (god-like modifier))
    48: Dimensional Gateway (Interplanetary Teleportation 16, x3 (Bring Others 1, Inter-dimensional 1))

Complications: (28)
    Backlash (4): (Rare-uncommon x2 frequency, Low-moderate severity x2: damaged when using non-Ritual magic)
    Enemies (8): (Rare x2 (enemies will show up at inconvenient times, but usually not critical), Severity x4 (Any Friends))
    Repressed Fury (4): (Very Rare x1 (when using psychic powers and sensing powerful anger), Severity x4 (nearly berserk))
    Spellcraft (4): Magic is reliant on Incantations (Rare-uncommon x2 frequency, Low-moderate severity x2 full Incantation and not just a word)
    Uncanny (8): Disconcerting anyone around me who doesn't know her (Everyday x8, low severity x1)

Notes: I figured Nearly Arch-Mage would include Wards/Barriers, which will probably complement her primary fighting style of Shadows and Healing.
    Last edited by Naysmith; 2024-05-30 at 03:04 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I was not sequestered, though I do have jury duty obligations, so I will attempt to run this, as Killerkat never resurfaced.

Does anyone have immediate requests for clarification or rules adjustment they would like to formally make? I am tempted to try them as written, though they are rough.
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

I was not sequestered, though I do have jury duty obligations, so I will attempt to run this, as Killerkat never resurfaced.

Does anyone have immediate requests for clarification or rules adjustment they would like to formally make? I am tempted to try them as written, though they are rough.
    I do have question about Rankings. Is there a limit to how broad we get? Wouldn't, Might, Mind and Charm cover whole spectrum? Another examples of trinity like this could axis from world of darkness grid, so Physical, Mental and Social or Power, Finess and Resistance

Another is what is interaction between Rankings and Abilities. For example would lifting an arbitrary amount of weight be purely dependent on strength or would athletic body ability be required, and would going to super human requier an superhumanly athletic body

6. - Top - End - #36
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

I don't actually see a system for damage and recovery, just that it exists. Nor experience points/boosts/etc, if that exists. Any details on that?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Naysmith View Post
    I don't actually see a system for damage and recovery, just that it exists. Nor experience points/boosts/etc, if that exists. Any details on that?
    I guess we should come up with one, lol

I posit that, since character points were there at the start, there was probably supposed to be some means of gaining them (as a form of experience), but idk.
    Also, the lack of a damage and recovery system...yeah it's possible the idea was to do that in free-form, but it might make sense to have a sort of hit-based system like in Savage Worlds or...something lol
    There are 1d20 types of people in the world: people that always roll natural 1 when it matters.

I don't know why, but I think more people have studied linguistics than I have.
    ...yes, the above sentence is in fact meaningless. But you did a double-take, didn't you?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Well there is a rudimentary damage system in the form of increasing narrative complications, though it doesn't deal with say between scenes heroes always showing up fresh as daisies is on brand.

Also its point buy so "XP" is just... more points?

Anyways here's a full version of Starr with a heap of notes on my intentions for each piece:

Spoiler: Shooting Star, the Girl who Fell to Earth 2.0
    Show
    DESCRIPTION
    Lara Starr crashed to Earth a little more than a year ago, and was soon dubbed Shooting Star by the press. Half alien, half human she is gifted with incredible abilities far beyond those of ordinary men and women on either of her home worlds. In the physical arena her boundless power is nigh unmatched, capable of great feats of strength and speed while shrugging off even the mightiest of weapons. Fortunately Star has so far chosen to use these powers for good, and most fights become questions of limiting collateral damage and bringing her foe back alive.

While Earth has become a sanctuary for Shooting Star it has not all been smooth. Raised and educated to be military officer from a distant empire Lara has little experience with civilian life, and a fine bundle of traumas she is reluctant to let on about. And while Earth's culture delights her even if it is strange, Lara's legal status is contentious and she has no secret identity making it difficult for her to do anything other then hero work, and some still assume her presence is the prelude to an invasion.

Slowly though she is building a following of friends, fans, and associates. And despite or perhaps because she lost her previous lover she has recently begun a new romance.

RANKINGS [55]
    15 Power -- Max effort, top speed, hitting hard
    15 Resilience -- Resisting damage, recovering quickly, extended effort
    10 Adeptness -- Complex maneuvers, quick reactions, fine control
    05 Intelligence -- Reasoned analysis, factual recall, procedural execution
    05 Awareness -- Insight, instinctive judgements, sensory processing
    00 Charisma -- Confidence, force of will, fluid grace

Limited [5]
    02 Intimidation [½]
    02 Musician [½]
    06 Advanced Physics [¼]
    06 Military Strategy [¼]

ABILITIES [73]
    32 Absolute Resistance -- Endure damage, endure any environment, resist 'reality change' level phenomena
    16 Titan Strength -- Lift tankers, kaiju, buildings well in excess of 100 Tons
    08 Perfect Flight -- Fly in any direction without regard to gravity, lift, etc.
    04 Heat Generation -- Project broad amounts of energy
    04 Telepathy -- Universal communication
    01 Remote Island Hideout -- No facilities to speak of, but its a nice spot to camp.

08 Draconi Warframe -- A psycho-reactive mecha that allows a warrior to operate on more massive scales. Also has limited interstellar abilities and onboard AI to advise the pilot.
    [32/4: -½ Extended Setup + -¼ Limited Power]: Requires extended time to bring into action, both to summon the warframe and prepare it for battle. Requires recharge after extended use, shorter with pilot generated energy.

COMPLICATIONS [28]
    08 Love Interest (1 Fr, 8 Sv) -- Alex Alvarez, a nature photographer who is teaching her about Earth's biosphere
    08 Resident Alien (4 Fr, 2 Sv) -- An illegal alien with dubious legal status of yet, still knows little of Earth
    08 World of Cardboard (4 Fr, 2 Sv) -- Must take constant care not to break things, especially people
    04 Veteran of Very Foreign Wars (2 Fr, 2 Sv) -- She wasn't always so invincible and has done many things she isn't proud of anymore

Spoiler: Background
    Show

Born La-Starr Lara many lightyears away from a certain unremarkable rock in space, Lara hails from the Draconi Star Empire. By fusing their psychokinetic abilities with advanced technology the draconi are almost unstoppable in war, and their empire is a vast one incorporating a diverse array of client species. While far beyond their borders their survey corps studies worlds and stars, the better to guide new expansion and head off threats. One such surveyor deemed Earth of no importance, but while here fell in love with a local woman, eventually the astronomically unlikely pair left Earth never to return.

For Lara growing up a half-blood in an empire was less trouble than might be expected. Draconi biology being highly morphic they could incorporate themselves into many species whilst remaining predominantly draconi, and this was a pivotal tool for the empire, with new client races having their elites ‘encouraged’ to accept draconi mates, subsuming the local aristocracies into the imperial citizenship. Picking up country bumpkins from primitive worlds was another matter, but still far from unprecedented.

What mattered far more for the scions of mid ranked families like Lara’s was that they prove themselves assets to the empire whatever their breeding. Thus for Lara a military career was all but predetermined and by age ten she was in training to be an officer. She would excel in her studies and her human heritage proved no detriment to her powers. A gift for astrogation in particular that saw her awarded an elite berth in the warframe pilot program. Graduating the top of her class Lara would soon find herself thrown into war, by age twenty she was a decorated veteran pilot. Yet it was romance not war that dominated the young Lara’s mind over the next few years. Fanthar Var-Miriel, a navy officer and member of one of the most elite mercantile clans in the empire. Who made no secret to her lover that she merely went into the military as it was expected of young draconi and would rather the empire pursued a trade focused path of peace. She tried constantly to seduce Lara into joining her. Yet for Lara even a position at the head of house forces could not compete with her top of the line warframe.

It would take Miriel’s death to settle the matter. At Cannae Prime the Draconi Forces met with disaster, Lara and Mir’s ship was disabled before she could even take to the void. Blown from the ship Lara found herself hurtling rapidly to the planet below. Draconi were a resilient species, far more so then humans like Lara’s mother, but even so uncontrolled planetary reentry was a death sentence. Or should have been for Lara but even as the friction burned her pilot suit away, she refused to die knowing that Miri was in danger. One of countless shooting stars that fell on Cannae that day, Lara hit the planet hard, but somehow she survived. Better than survived, from the crucible she emerged stronger than ever. Racing back into space she found her ship adrift in space. Tearing through bulkheads Lara searched for her lover, only to arrive at the blasted remains of a lane battery burn where Miri should have been. The last remaining power to the computer listed all crew who made it to the escape pods, but no Var-Miriel among the names.

That day Lara declared she was done with war and done with the empire of her birth. She recovered her warframe, and headed for the only place she could think of, her mother’s homeworld of Earth. Splashing down in San Diego bay Lara was almost instantly a public spectacle. A combination of lacking social skills, new powers, and lack of knowledge of Earth customs soon combined to make her a somewhat controversial one. Earth’s own heroes recognized her good intentions though and welcomed the new Shooting Star into their ranks, even if many citizens and governments are less enthusiastic.

Over the past year Lara has slow settled in on Earth. She has found new friends, new interests, and even struck up a potentially romantic relationship with a local photographer.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Kind of interesting to want to continue a game in a homebrew system after the creator just dips. I might be down for it myself though, assuming there's room. And assuming I can set aside time to read the rules.

I have had a few superhero ideas over the years, but unfortunately they've proven very hard to make in, say, Mutants and Masterminds... for reasons I'll have to go into later. Mostly, transformation/very open-ended powers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Honestly, most players would get super excited about Zenob the god of crabs because it's eccentric. I know I would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    But a friendly reminder that, by RAW, this game is unplayable

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Raven View Post
    Kind of interesting to want to continue a game in a homebrew system after the creator just dips. I might be down for it myself though, assuming there's room. And assuming I can set aside time to read the rules.

I have had a few superhero ideas over the years, but unfortunately they've proven very hard to make in, say, Mutants and Masterminds... for reasons I'll have to go into later. Mostly, transformation/very open-ended powers.
    You are definitely welcome. I need to think on the concerns raised.

I have ideas to address the concerns raised, but I am ill atm, so you have time to finalize things.
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Jury duty and sick? Is it easy being that lucky?