New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Girl Genius XXXIII: Plotting, ranting, and menacing the countryside

Quote Originally Posted by Kardwill View Post
    I think the Dyne is a slow, regular supply. Enough to power day-to-day operations and casual dismemberments, and slowly accumulate the surplus into the batteries, to be used when you need to put up a show of power.
    The lightning is a big, short term supply of energy to instantly power up the batteries whenever a big lightning storm blows over the castle.

The dyne is slow and reliable, the lighning is a quickcharge that can be kept for whenever you really need it, and the batteries ensure that you can keep going for some time even if both fail. It's a nice system.
    And there's a Flame down there somewhere, too, which once again makes me think that the Castle is a form of Queen. The Flame waxes and wanes, as we know Albia's does; the Madboy Heterodynes found a way to tap the Dyne (and, also, lightning) to keep their mechanical Queen fully powered. This is why Mechanicsburg is impregnable when the Castle is fully charged; you are taking on an angry Queen, full of Flame, in her demesne, plus her "consort" (the Heterodyne), plus hordes of troops.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    And there's a Flame down there somewhere, too, which once again makes me think that the Castle is a form of Queen. The Flame waxes and wanes, as we know Albia's does; the Madboy Heterodynes found a way to tap the Dyne (and, also, lightning) to keep their mechanical Queen fully powered. This is why Mechanicsburg is impregnable when the Castle is fully charged; you are taking on an angry Queen, full of Flame, in her demesne, plus her "consort" (the Heterodyne), plus hordes of troops.
    Close but not quite. The Castle does not tap into a Flame directly. The Dyne is charged by the flame just as we have seen the waters on that rat island. And the Heterodynes only indirectly use that energy to power the Castle by extracting all of it out of the Dyne.

To be honest, I am very much wondering if we will ever learn anything about the mirror builders. That defeated Polar Lord implied he has some knowledge about the times before the Queens, so the possibility is there. The Flames seems to be directly connected to this ancient technology - Queens just used what was set up by other people before them.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic

Well, seems the Castle has it's priorities straight.
    Really, Gil should have known better.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    New comic

Well, seems the Castle has it's priorities straight.
    Really, Gil should have known better.
    Probably should have done this before going into the city.

5. - Top - End - #95

Girl Genius XXXIV: Looted After the Destruction

Frankly, castle-bot is great. I will miss him.

6. - Top - End - #96

We'll see what happens, but I actually don't see castle-bot going anywhere. At worst, it's a way for the Castle itself to get info from the world outside Mechanicsburg (albeit slowly), so I don't see a reason to destroy it. Ideally, though, if Agatha invents something like radio, then castle-bot can be used to enable the Castle to come along on her adventures (if just in an advisory capacity)

7. - Top - End - #97

SamuraiGuy

Am I the only one worried that the Castle just got "brought up to speed" by the mini-Castle, with all the biases and omissions that implies? Would, say, Bang planning to kill Zeetha rate a mention?

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Frankly, castle-bot is great. I will miss him.
    As we see in a flash-forward, the castle-bot will stay in Mechanicsburg.
    Post, post, post, post an amusing and insightful comment!

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by HeeJay View Post
    As we see in a flash-forward, the castle-bot will stay in Mechanicsburg.
    My worries are assuaged. Now, who is up for some CAKE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Halfling in the Playground

Am I the only one worried that the Castle just got "brought up to speed" by the mini-Castle, with all the biases and omissions that implies? Would, say, Bang planning to kill Zeetha rate a mention?
    I imagine that the Castle would figure that if the Heterodyne's combat instructor can be killed in combat, then she doesn't deserve the job.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Devlerbat View Post
    I imagine that the Castle would figure that if the Heterodyne's combat instructor can be killed in combat, then she doesn't deserve the job.
    Also, the Castle is more likely to grab some popcorn than try to prevent the fight.

12. - Top - End - #102

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Devlerbat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Also, the Castle is more likely to grab some popcorn than try to prevent the fight.
    You're both right, but that doesn't mean the information isn't useful when observing party dynamics.

Also, a question is "Would the Heterodyne be weakened if Bang and / or Zeetha died on the other's blade?", and the answer is likely yes. Therefore, the Castle might let them fight, just not to the death. But if the Castle has to choose, I think Dupree will exit the strip with a Bang.

EDIT:

"Girl Genius XXXIV: (By the standards of the family), This is Hardly Weird at All!"
    Last edited by Shining Wrath; 2024-06-14 at 05:53 AM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

EDIT:

"Girl Genius XXXIV: (By the standards of the family), This is Hardly Weird at All!"
    Saves me putting it in, I guess. Noted.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

14. - Top - End - #104

Thread title: It is beautiful! Let's krengulate it!

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Ailurus View Post
    It is noted! And I'm not going anywhere near it until I know what is involved when you krengulate something.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

16. - Top - End - #106
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ailurus View Post
    Seconded! I came here just to post that.

Anyone else expecting Vaapnoople to show up through that portal?
    GO FOR THE EYES, BOO!!!

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by wingnutx View Post
    Seconded! I came here just to post that.

Anyone else expecting Vaapnoople to show up through that portal?
    Tallied.

Actually, I'm half expecting it to be Vapnoople...

18. - Top - End - #108

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Tallied.

That's my prediction as well. It's the obvious twist, and sometimes the Foglios do follow the obvious plot-path.

19. - Top - End - #109

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    would be the best for everyone not involved.
    Last edited by Agi Hammerthief; Yesterday at 01:11 AM.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

20. - Top - End - #110

SamuraiGuy

If it is Vapnoople, that will give Kjarl some closure as he cured Dr. Dim, and now can take responsibility for the consequences.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Leave your bodyguards and friends glued in a timestop, and come alone with me to an isolated place just in front of the giant monster"

Am I paranoid, or does it sound awfully fishy?
    Last edited by Kardwill; Today at 02:11 AM.

22. - Top - End - #112

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kardwill View Post
    "Leave your bodyguards and friends glued in a timestop, and come alone with me to an isolated place just in front of the giant monster"

Am I paranoid, or does it sound awfully fishy?
    I had not considered Dreen betrayal. It's possible, I suppose, but I think they could have killed Agatha already if that was their intent.

Also possible: bringing the lantern too close to the big monster will speed it up, and it will attack before the Dreen are ready.