New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Default Re: What Are You Playing 10: Ten Builds, Zero Progress

One oldrim mod that I saw that I do not think was ever ported to SE was the one that turns the dragons into Thomas the Tank Engine characters.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WritersBlock View Post
    One oldrim mod that I saw that I do not think was ever ported to SE was the one that turns the dragons into Thomas the Tank Engine characters.
    I'm pretty sure it just works, texture and mesh mods in general work without needing conversion IIRC.

Quick research says one model in particular breaks (the generic freight car one) but it works overall.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    No problem! Me and my friend group have been playing around with it, it's great for all the DLC stuff that SHOULD be usable by lower level characters (really low stat requirements on some of the weapons and spells) but can't be unless you really wanna do an SL1 run to Mohg.
    I like low stat requirements on even endgame stuff because it allows you to use weapons without totally changing your build. For example, the Great Katana I used only needed 14 Str 18 Dex, and that's pretty much all I had for those stats. I relied instead on 80 Arcane to rapidly cycle the Poison explosions from the Art of War, and it worked great.

That said, there are weapons that only become available near the very end of the DLC (there's an amazing Holy weapon that requires finding a secret path in the final dungeon), and that just seems a waste to me. The DLC does a great job of letting you pick up stuff early on if you know where to look, but it still means you're restricted to the DLC. This is a problem all Souls games have, and why I've always especially loved Randomizer runs of them. Getting the Godslayer Greatsword as your starting weapon and using it to take down Fell Omen Malenia is a trip and a half. My other favorite was a fog wall Randomizer run where I had to beat Oolacile Township using only the unupgraded tail of the Guardian Chimera.

Yeah, the bottles need some tweaks IMO. Their base damage is low, and the Rolling Spark skill was broken before the last patch (like "3 shot the DLC final boss" broken). Now they've nerfed Rolling Spark but not buffed the baseline performance of the bottles.

I'd love to see them, Dryleaf Arts/Dane's Footwork, and Beast Claws given a little more damage so all three aren't just usable with Cold/Blood infusions or other statuses.
    I've seen videos of that, and hilarious as it was the nerf was deserved for sure. The low damage and funky staggers on the bottles are pretty fun in the early base game though. I'm used to rolling over bosses like Farum Azula Beastman and Twin Demi Human Chiefs, but with my current setup fighting them is an exercise in caution. The bottles don't seem to stunlock enemies like fast attacking light weapons do, but to make up for that they have great flinch values that interrupt most attacks. The result is a kind of dance where I'm backing away and timing my shots to interrupt the boss' attacks while slowly whittling them down. It's quite fun.

The one thing I really don't like is that you can't visceral enemies. I get that they don't have a blade, but surely they could have come up with an animation where you blast enemies away for a ton of damage.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

TBF, they aren't the first weapon type you can't visceral with; you can't do it with whips either, and for similar reasons (both "realistic" ones and for the game mechanic benefit of the extra range you get and the fact that you can't be Parried). I think it's thematically appropriate to keep a Misericorde or something in your back pocket to shank enemies who let their guard down lol.

And I agree, randomizer runs are super fun. Waiting for it to be updated for DLC content, should be a blast.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2024-07-12 at 02:33 PM.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

Was going back to P3R, but I hit an annoying Monad corridor that feels intended for about five levels after the point that you unlock it. Maybe I'll give it another go in a bit, possibly knock the difficulty down just for the final enemy in it.

Also booted up Rogue Trader and restarted again, this time as Noble/Officer/Dogmatic. Mostly because while being a psyker is fun I wanted something that was a little more in line with canon, and because the Noble's ability to nominate anybody to be Abelard looked fun. The hope is that by the end of Act 1 I can set up my build so that weapons become nothing but stat sticks
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    TBF, they aren't the first weapon type you can't visceral with; you can't do it with whips either, and for similar reasons (both "realistic" ones and for the game mechanic benefit of the extra range you get and the fact that you can't be Parried). I think it's thematically appropriate to keep a Misericorde or something in your back pocket to shank enemies who let their guard down lol.
    Yeah, I've never liked that Whips don't get it either. Just let me Bloodborne my fist into enemies already! And it's not like whips would be tearing up the meta if you could visceral with them. I get the logic, but disagree from a game balance standpoint.

The problem I've noticed with the Perfume Bottles is that they don't multi-hit. The heavy attacks can sometimes, but the regular ones don't. This leads to a weird situation where one-handing the Perfume Bottles is usually better, because you get faster attack speeds than two-handing or dual-wielding and the damage is pretty much the same, so why not fire off rapid one-hand attacks instead? Funnily enough, where most weapons become trash on Torrent the Perfume Bottles are actually kind of crazy. Multi-hitting is much easier and you can create walls of flame with the charged R2. Staying mounted may be the way forward.

It's increasingly looking like the Perfume Bottles are going to be my sidearm for dealing with trash mobs while I build up the materials and recipes to becoming a throwing pot god.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

Beat Elden Ring DLC in about 20 hours total, with half of that time spent rebuilding for two specific bosses and gathering Scadutree Fragments. Will not be coming back, very few truly good bosses, quite a few bad ones (including the last one), a terribly forced and yet bad separate progression (seriously, you locked this thing behind true Mohg, could've just tuned it for level 150 to 180 and called it a day), exploration was very empty because there's very little to find without Scadutree Fragments (or as my friends call them, Scooby Snacks).

I second the complaints about the new weapons being basically inaccessible for NG+0 cycles without cheating or mules. But the DLC is unpleasant enough that I'd rather go offline and drop a few weapons to myself with CE. New weapons are pretty cool though, I'd love if the DLC just distributed them across the regular game world.
    Last edited by Ignimortis; 2024-07-13 at 07:07 PM.
    Elezen Dark Knight avatar by Linklele
    Favourite classes: Beguiler, Scout, Warblade, 3.5 Warlock, Harbinger (PF:PoW).

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

And that's a wrap on Thr Rainslick Precipice of Darkness Ep. One. Took just under 6 hours.

I wish more games ran for 6 hours.

Anyway, I've played this a couple times before, so no surprises, but it's still a blast. The writing is quite sharp if you enjoy that style of humor, and the combat remains very enjoyable. Each character gets three moves, Inventory, Basic Attack, and Special Attack, which are on cooldowns and fill up in that order. Using any ability resets all a character's cool cooldowns. I believe this is a sort of JRPG system, and I quite like it. You could certainly make it deeper with items and so on, but Precipice of Darkness sticks to just some set damage upgraded and unlocking progressively cooler Special Attacks, all of which come eith their own mini game. I rather enjoy the minimalism, I'm not gonna say I never enjoy poking around an Inventory for a more powerful build, but I also enjoy not doing that. Build crafting is an aesthetic, not a universal virtue.

Anyway, on to Ep 2. In this one you get a hoe instead of a rake. A much more appropriate lawn instrument for killing evil fruit fornicating robots, obviously.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

After wrapping up my BG3 run, I've pulled out another old great to re-play: Devil May Cry 5. Because I wanted an action game after a long turn-based RPG like that, and it occurred to me that since getting Special Edition on my PS5, I've never gone through that version with the main character set, only with Vergil. So, Son of Sparda difficulty run with Nero, Dante, and hanger-on, let's go!

Fortunately I had a bunch of red orbs from my time as Vergil that let me purchase pretty much everything as Nero right away (well, after needing to the prologue and first stage without buying anything anyway...), so no waiting on him, and he can build up red orbs for Dante and V. I am holding on buying a lot of V's stuff though, since he only has three stages you need to use him in anyway, two extremely early, and I'd much rather buy all of Dante's upgrades. While I can appreciate what they were trying to do with V, it still just doesn't work for me compared to the other three - although being able to swap V's normal battle theme for Bury the Light is a definite improvement in that area at least. And otherwise, yeah, enjoying Nero, looking forward to Dante, already thinking I'll probably do a second run on Dante Must Die difficulty after this, since inevitably I'll want more time with Dante's later weapons and Nero actually having Devil Trigger.

Over with Granblue Rising, took some doing, but I finally reached S+ rank with Yuel today as well, which makes seven characters I've reached that rank with. Now considering whether I want to fool around with some of the other characters that were more borderline for me when I tried everyone, or go and finally make a real effort at ranking up again with my main, Belial, see how close I can get to S++ (the game's second-highest rank, below only Master) with him.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyOfOptimists View Post
    That's kind of interesting. Why do you feel the need to dismiss them? Most of them sticking around don't do anything if you aren't actively using them, so there's no real detriment to having them, and their quests often unlock pretty big things. Though maybe you're planning on multiple playthroughs so you just want the content saved.
    That is part of it, yes. Roleplaying reasons are also a big one:
    Nenio is the Most Annoying Person and so far detached from reality that she's just not a good fit for this whole crusade business I'm running here. Employing her would be pragmatic, but my character is very much about doing this the Right Way. The 5th Crusade (and the whole Worldwound war in general) is not just a battle of arms and magic, but of hearts and minds*.
    Woljif is a sentenced criminal I had had no reason to just set him free.
    Daeran very clearly did not want to partake in the crusade and I do not force people against their wills.
    Greybor doesn't care. Sure, I could pay for his help, but what kind of "help" could he provide? I already have a strong band of companions who are motivated by principal. He is a loner and assassin - unlike Regill, who is a commanding officer of a core unit of my crusading army, Greybor doesn't bring any allies to the table.

* again, WotR is a pretty decent piece about War in general.

I continue with having a blast with WotR
    I made progress, but I'm still in act 3. I think I've identified the location that will progress the "main quest" so to speak, so I will focus on doing everything else first. My crusading armies slowly take shape. The enemy is reduced to a handful of level 9 armies and the last remaining level 10 fort. So far so good

But I've also encountered the probably (hopefully) worst area of the game: Blackwater. In short it is a massive grind with an aesthetic that is jarringly out of place. It's like the area was designed by InExile for Wasteland 3 but it somehow got uploaded to the wrong Git repository. Not a fan!
    Last edited by Zombimode; 2024-07-15 at 04:16 AM.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

Woljiff isn't a sentenced criminal, at that point he's pretty much being held with no hope of a trial. Plus for all his faults he's not dumb enough to steal anything during Act 1, it's not unlikely that he was tried after Act 1 and, if recruited, is probably officially counted as one of the Condemned. Trusting Woljiff involves multiple leaps of faith, but he turns out to be an incredibly useful asset even when he goes AWOL.

Greybor meanwhile is recruited for exactly one mission and can be let go after it's completed. Letting him go is in fact not the worst idea, from what you've seen his targets tend to be people on the other side.

Meanwhile you've got someone in your party who you'll almost definitely want to part with. Assuming you haven't already reached that scene, of course.

The game is actually pretty neutral on pragmatism, sometimes it works out and sometimes it bites you in the arse. Kind of like how in Rogue Trader being idealistic will lead to a lot of problems but in the end does actually work.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Woljiff isn't a sentenced criminal, at that point he's pretty much being held with no hope of a trial. Plus for all his faults he's not dumb enough to steal anything during Act 1, it's not unlikely that he was tried after Act 1 and, if recruited, is probably officially counted as one of the Condemned. Trusting Woljiff involves multiple leaps of faith, but he turns out to be an incredibly useful asset even when he goes AWOL.
    Sure, but picture this from the characters perspective: you've just arrived at the most important bastion of resistance in Kenabres led by a paladin of Iomadae. You explore the building and come across someone behind bars. Very clearly not by accident.
    "Why are you imprisoned?"
    "Heheh... thats none of your business. Hey, can't you just let me out?"
    "No."

Meanwhile you've got someone in your party who you'll almost definitely want to part with. Assuming you haven't already reached that scene, of course.
    That might be the case. And when push comes to shove I will part with this person. That's what sticking to your principles mean

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    Sure, but picture this from the characters perspective: you've just arrived at the most important bastion of resistance in Kenabres led by a paladin of Iomadae. You explore the building and come across someone behind bars. Very clearly not by accident.
    "Why are you imprisoned?"
    "Heheh... thats none of your business. Hey, can't you just let me out?"
    "No."
    My Chaotic Good Character: alright I talked to Irabeth, she says you're not going to like murder people so let's go 'secure some supplies'.

More seriously you do get to ask Irabeth why he's locked up and she outlines it and goes 'if you'd find him useful I'd rather not have two men be forced to guard him'. There's actually legitimate reasons for a LG character to cart him around for the first act.

I'll also note that once forced into the crusade Daeren actually does want to stick around, if only to mock Galfrey by actually being useful. In fact being dismissed before Drezen is pretty much the last thing he wants, he's not going to be a soldier but he's more than willing to contribute (and by Drezen he's basically a fully committed crusader for his own reasons). I tend to bench him until the end of Act 2 except for the one mission to his estate.

Show

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Speaking of WOTR. I'm thinking of having another go at actually finishing it but I'll probably be starting again. Are there any mods that people would recommend to add abit more to the game? I saw the expansion mod on nexus got an update recently.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Barbarian in the Playground

My Chaotic Good Character: alright I talked to Irabeth, she says you're not going to like murder people so let's go 'secure some supplies'.

More seriously you do get to ask Irabeth why he's locked up and she outlines it and goes 'if you'd find him useful I'd rather not have two men be forced to guard him'. There's actually legitimate reasons for a LG character to cart him around for the first act.

I'll also note that once forced into the crusade Daeren actually does want to stick around, if only to mock Galfrey by actually being useful. In fact being dismissed before Drezen is pretty much the last thing he wants, he's not going to be a soldier but he's more than willing to contribute (and by Drezen he's basically a fully committed crusader for his own reasons). I tend to bench him until the end of Act 2 except for the one mission to his estate.
    That still requires one to go a bit out of the way to take actions that wind up justifying a decision when, really, it's hard to imagine someone organically deciding to make it their mission to help someone who gives you no good reason to do so.

Owlcat does have a slightly annoying tendency to lock paths/characters/content behind a less than organic series of choices that makes having a guide potentially necessary. I don't mind easter eggs and blocking off characters based on roleplaying decisions that clearly justify them, but when my character has a very good reason to want to do something, and there's an obvious and direct path to pursue that goal, there really should be a dialog option for "Hey, I want to do this".

I'll have to play Wrath again sometime late this year.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

[
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodSquirrel View Post
    That still requires one to go a bit out of the way to take actions that wind up justifying a decision when, really, it's hard to imagine someone organically deciding to make it their mission to help someone who gives you no good reason to do so.
    You'll probably want to talk to Irabeth for IC reasons anyway, and can just bring it up then. It delays getting Woljiff by a bit but how I'd roleplay recruiting him as a heavily lawful character is stumbling across him and having that first conversation, going to the library first, checking in with Irabeth for a status update, bring up Woljiff, recruit him, be very annoyed after completing his first quest.

IIRC the actual issue with Woljiff is that he's the only character in Act 1 and 2 who's specced into Stealth by default, which means not taking him massively increases the number if random encounters you fight. And random encounters in this game are just tedious. If your Commander doesn't have the skill he feels required until Arue joins in Act 3, at which point IMO he's basically outclassed in every way (archers get ridiculous damage output with like two mythic abilities, I like to have at least two by Act 3).

Anyway, started a new game of WotR as a Tiefling Knife Master. Why? Rogue skills plus that ridiculous d8 sneak attack die should give me a good damage output by the mid game. Plus this way I can start at 20 DEX 15 CHA and by about level 4 have a good enough Persuasion that I don't feel like Daeren is required. Canny Observer has mostly made up for the lack of Trapfinding, but I might retrain that and just go all in on dual daggers.

Show

17. - Top - End - #347
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Speaking of WOTR. I'm thinking of having another go at actually finishing it but I'll probably be starting again. Are there any mods that people would recommend to add abit more to the game? I saw the expansion mod on nexus got an update recently.
    I never used mods when playing WotR myself, but after I finished the game, I read comments from many people recommending a mod to automate the casting of buff spells. Had I known such a mod existed, I would have leapt on it; the repetitive casting of buffs was one of the most annoying parts of an otherwise very good game.
    Like the Phantom Tollbooth or Sherlock Holmes? Try some stories that combine math and mystery with puns and wordplay.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ettin in the Playground

The toolkit mod is real good, lets you do things like gestalt or play classes with wrong alignments.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    I highly, highly, highly recommend using Tabletop Tweaks. It's a huge inclusion mod that ports a lot of things from the Pathfinder rulebook that help many of the classes, while also changing a few things to work more like the paper rules. I don't know how much of it got fixes, but there was highly egregious errors like allowing you to cast Magic Vestments and Magic Armor to receive both bonuses or using Crane Style without a free offhand. You could stack a lot of this to huge AC levels that the game seemed balanced around at times. It's not necessary, but I appreciated not feeling like I had to police myself. Plus, the added feats and mythic abilities really do fill in gaps that make a lot of builds possible.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    The toolkit mod is real good, lets you do things like gestalt or play classes with wrong alignments.
    Is that Toybox? I found that one quite useful but it did have a few restrictions (notably alignment restrictions still apply in character creation).

Scaling Cantrips is also a great install, it allows cantrips damage to scale (and adds a handful of new attack cantrips) so that higher level casters don't have to rely on spell slots to be effective every round. I believe the only downside is that you can't turn it off mid-playthrough.

Show

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, Toybox. Couldn't remember the name.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

Back to Noita for a lack of a better "action" roguelike. Man, the game is equally genius and silly at the same time.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

Completed my DMC5 re-run tonight. Love those final boss fights. Though I have to say, if they're serious about sidelining Dante and Vergil and giving Nero more of the spotlight next time, as the ending feels like it implies, he really needs to start getting more than one weapon. Red Queen's a fun moveset, but it's really noticeable that Nero is less fun to play than his uncle or father due to having much less variety to how he plays, and it really does just come down to him only getting the one sword I think. Dante gets four different weapons (kind of five, since Balrog has both punch and kick modes with totally different movesets) and Vergil gets three, and they feel a lot more varied and fun to play as a result. Helps of course that Dante's weapons in DMC5 in particular are just brilliant, all of them very fun and well-designed, but still. Also, playable Trish and Lady again please.

And yeah, as predicted, I'm definitely going through another time, probably on Dante Must Die - game's fantastic, but short, and unlocking new stuff even at the very end really does leave you wanting to do an immediate re-run.

I also played one of the characters I was iffy about, Narmaya, for the past couple of days in Granblue Rising, and unlike the last one I tried she won't be getting played again I think. Not that there aren't things I like about her, but she's the hardest character in the game to play (a two-stance character who really needs to be on the ball about which stance she's in and when she needs to swap), and it just ends up feeling like the juice isn't worth the squeeze - there are other characters that have the same elements I enjoy in her play style who don't require nearly as much to get even the basics down with.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2024-07-16 at 11:57 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, now I know :D

Spoiler
    Show
    While Camellia was claiming that her actions will lead to a way of closing the Worldwound, I actually doubt her. Having spoken to her she really seems like person that just makes up stuff to justify everything. *sigh* But so far my Knight Commander has not taken action. While I doubt her I have no proof that her intentions where insincere. Right now she is on probation, so to speak. One wrong move and she's out.

But I do have to admit that one reason not to throw her out right now is that replacing Camellia is hard!
    She started out as the weakest part of my band, but she has long evolved into an incredible high-performer. She is one of my primary damage dealers (alongside Lann and my Cavalier Knight Commander), and I rely on her spells for buffing.
    But replacing her is what it will come to sooner or later. I've already made build decisions towards that goal. My main focus here is Arueshalae who will most likely take her spot. She can cast Barkskin and the Entangle spells. She has Trickery. She not quite there, but maybe in a level or two...

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

Played through some really cool stuff in Shadows Awakening this morning. I was attempting to do some side quests, but kept going into completely optional and unrelated dungeons by mistake. One of them was a surprisingly complex three level affair where you had to move up and down between the levels to finally unlock the fourth, final layer. That had a cool miniboss demon and a puzzle so exacting I actually respecced a bunch of items for +movement speed just to beat it. Messing with gear to beat a fight is pretty normal, but I can't really remember doing it for a puzzle before.

Another was actually the dungeon for a different part of the side quest, and likewise had some excellent puzzles, and a quite cool final demon boss who kept resurrecting when I killed him. Pesky. Fortunately I have the ability to summon a substantial little army (two phantom gnolls, one sand golem), so this wasn't much of a problem.

This highlights what I'm enjoying so much about Shadows, it's actually fun to explore. There's lots of hidden loot and little puzzles. Most of them are pretty easy, but they reward paying attention to the environment in a way that a light isometric action RPG generally doesn't. It's a bit like BG3, except less fussy and elves aren't constantly trying to sleep with me.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

I woke up, started WotR, and vanquished Playful Darkness. Holy Cojones, that one was a tough MF.
    Dispeling the Displacement effect did the trick.
    Last edited by Zombimode; Today at 02:45 AM.