New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: What Are You Playing 10: Ten Builds, Zero Progress

Got back into Skyrim, which I figure was inevitable.

I'd gotten pretty deep into my Unarmed playthrough of New Vegas and I was pretty satisfied with the force of the punches and how they sent the enemy flying, but I kept wanting a bigger launch. I also found myself wanting a bit more variety in scenery, less visually crowded dungeons, more spectacle, and a bit simpler, brighter, world.

At the end of the day I just had to admit to myself that all I really want is to shout stuff off of things.

It's good to be back. I missed you, old friend.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Shadow of the Erdtree DLC:
    Show

Good news everyone! I beat Promised Consort Radahn. how I did it: getting nearly the heaviest armor, crucible greatshield for blocking, physicking to reduce damage and heal, leveling to the point where my vig is at 60 and End at 40, mimic tearing then stone of gurranqing but that wasn't getting me far enough- only down to like 25% or so health, then I added in Ekzyke's Decay to the mix and a couple tries after that, he went down to the scarlet rot!

what a relief to be done with this DLC, bosses are real aggressive, I had fun with the new toys but I think if they do another soulslike after this, they got to de-escalate boss-wise, and like ground themselves a bit, they're getting a bit too ridiculous and anime I think for us to respond well, and soulslikes are best when they have a certain level of groundedness and clear strategy to them, and also like, too much pressure to do certain things to win rather than allowing people to breath and have fun with how they beat the boss, y'know? like I'd say the DLC is overall good, its just pushing the envelope as far it can go and maybe a bit too far in places and anything after this needs to get back down to earth, I'd say.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Barbarian in the Playground

I dipped my toe back into Path of Exile. The game remains addictive as ever... but the endgame still looks like it has all the same problems.

I'm really hoping PoE 2 fixes those problems.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Playing more Wizardry, three Fighters was definitely the right move but I'm not sold on the Bishop I recruited. I'll stick with them for now, but I feel like I should have gone double mage (and then reclassed one to Thief later).

Actually I might replace them with a second mage, I just realized that I set my party up so I can't reclass anybody into Thief. Going to sleep on it and decide on the morning, I can always train up extra spellcasters later.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Binging through Cats Huddling Together -- kitties as jigsaw puzzles.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Playing more Wizardry, three Fighters was definitely the right move but I'm not sold on the Bishop I recruited. I'll stick with them for now, but I feel like I should have gone double mage (and then reclassed one to Thief later).

Actually I might replace them with a second mage, I just realized that I set my party up so I can't reclass anybody into Thief. Going to sleep on it and decide on the morning, I can always train up extra spellcasters later.
    Wizardry 1 is weird in that the advanced classes (Bishop, Samurai, Lord) are largely worse than the basic ones gished together. A level 9 Samurai is a slightly squishier Fighter of equal level that can cast level 2 spells. A level 9 Mage that reclassed into a level 9 Fighter, on the other hand, will likely have more HP, be equal with a sword, and be able to cast up to level 5 spells. The Samurai does have the benefit of using the best weapon in the game, assuming you actually get a Muramasa to drop.

The Bishop more or less has one use: Make one, let him warm a bench in the Tavern, and use him to identify your loot for free. Otherwise you're better off having a Mage/Cleric or Cleric/Mage. Later games in the series give classes unique skills and more varied equipment so it's a tougher choice, but Wizardry 1 is basic and exploitable. There's a certain charm to that, though.
    Last edited by ArmyOfOptimists; 2024-07-08 at 08:33 PM.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyOfOptimists View Post
    Wizardry 1 is weird in that the advanced classes (Bishop, Samurai, Lord) are largely worse than the basic ones gished together. A level 9 Samurai is a slightly squishier Fighter of equal level that can cast level 2 spells. A level 9 Mage that reclassed into a level 9 Fighter, on the other hand, will likely have more HP, be equal with a sword, and be able to cast up to level 5 spells. The Samurai does have the benefit of using the best weapon in the game, assuming you actually get a Muramasa to drop.

The Bishop more or less has one use: Make one, let him warm a bench in the Tavern, and use him to identify your loot for free. Otherwise you're better off having a Mage/Cleric or Cleric/Mage. Later games in the series give classes unique skills and more varied equipment so it's a tougher choice, but Wizardry 1 is basic and exploitable. There's a certain charm to that, though.
    Samurai also has the issue of being selectable at the start, and my reaction to it was 'yeah, I am not bothering to set up the stay points to see what that is'. Honestly reclassing and 'advanced classes' are just hard to pull off in general, so I'm not going to fault a faithful remake for not updating them.

In fact I have one dwarf I might try making into a Lord, but mostly my plan was to just reclass my mage into Thief before I realized that I'd messed up and made them Good. A bunch of high level Fighters in the front line to stop the casters in the back from being murdered seems like they would only perform better with even more Fighter levels.

I'll probably make a second Mage in the morning.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Shenmue III. Hilariously realistic, unapologetically wastes your time, and I really enjoyed it. The side quests are very funny,
    Spoiler
    Show
    like a martial arts master who asks for 1930s baijiu to teach you, which is an insanely tall order, and is treated as such. Whenever I hit some stupid obstacle it's funny instead of annoying.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Continuing with Granblue Rising in between my BG3 time, I've gone through some time with two more characters.

Grimnir, originally my second-favorite character when the game launched, I find is no longer nearly that high on my list. He definitely has some things I like about him - combo structure, setplay, tricks with his air mobility, his overall personality and character - but as people have gotten better at the game, his flaws have become more apparent and frustrating to me. In particular, his floaty jump - he literally stays in the air longer than other characters when he jumps, which in a game with only limited air-blocking (you can air block jump attacks and projectiles, but not most grounded moves) is a liability, and people have gotten good enough at anti-airing for it to feel like one now. Plus there's some smaller flaws that are more annoying in retrospect, but they'd take more explaining to get across. Long story short, while I still enjoy him, he's dropped a ways in my overall preferences list.

After that I felt like going to one of the characters I finished trying earlier feeling iffy about: Vaseraga, the game's big, armored brute. The whole point of playing him being to get me out of my comfort zone, and oh boy, he does that unquestionably. Being the big slow guy, he just kind of has to take things at his opponents' pace a lot of the time, which means playing fairly patiently. A lot of his means to enforce his game plan require either that he has his armor buff up - something that takes time he often doesn't have - or requires meter. So he'll spend a lot of many matches on the defensive, either trying to find an opening on enemies that want to play at more of distance than he does, or trying to find a hole in the offense of speedy close-range types that's big enough for him to take advantage of. Still, when he does get to do his thing, it definitely feels powerful - many enemies struggle to answer him when he has his armor buff up and enters his stance, from which he slowly walks forward and threatens multiple big, powerful moves, and with the buff can tank multiple hits before getting interrupted out of it. And when he gets combos, they hurt, a lot (he does need resources to make them hurt outside the corner, but that's not terribly unusual). A particularly swingy matchup I fought today is when he's up against Avatar Belial, the game's Akuma, for lack of a better comparison. Avatar has a bunch of powerful ranged options, is still reasonably good up close, and does big damage, but is the lowest-health character in the game and hurts himself with his own moves. Vaseraga meanwhile has the highest health in the entire game as one of his perks. So that matchup is frequently pretty miserable as Vaseraga, with Avatar Belial pelting you with projectiles and making it hard for you to fight back in general, but it legitimately often only takes one solid hit that turns into combo to kill him, since his health is low to begin with and he will be doing a fair amount of self-damage by necessity. So you can spend most of the fight feeling like you're losing, then get that one good hit and suddenly you've won.

Despite all his struggles in ways I don't much like, I do strangely find myself enjoying him more than I'd expect, and do better with him than I'd expect as well. It is satisfying to smack people down with him when you manage to do so, as it can happen quite suddenly (though not quite to the degree of one touch = win against anyone but Avatar Belial). He's definitely near the bottom of my preferences list at this point, but I think he's staying on it so far.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Made it to Act 2 in Inscryption.

Decompressing now with Dogs Huddling Together.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Same old same old:

Go on Kisedo Go Server (KGS),

Il*2 Sturmovik on Win 7,

Spider solitaire,

Dragon Age Origins.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've finished Road to Elysium, the Talos Princple 2 DLC. Finished all the puzzles, had a blast. The hexadron looks more intimidating from the outside than it actually is. I suspect the developers figured that thing might be a little disorienting once you're inside and didn't throw the most difficult puzzles at you in there, which is good because less disorienting means more focus on puzzle solving. The main draw is still the puzzles, but I admit I've grown fond of these robots and their banter as well. And just like the base game it's still a very optimistic game.

Maybe I'll stop seeing laser beams bouncing between refractors, inverters and RGB converters when I close my eyes now... but I kind of still want even MOAR puzzles? Maybe I have puzzled too much.

Also still continuing with Rogue Trader. I've put the difficulty back to daring again and that seems to be going well so far. Of course I'm still doing heresy whenever I can. I'm hoping I'll be able to lead sister Argenta down the path of chaos, but I suspect the game won't actually let me do that so I'll settle for dramatically betraying her near the end if the game will let me do that.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    Maybe I'll stop seeing laser beams bouncing between refractors, inverters and RGB converters when I close my eyes now... but I kind of still want even MOAR puzzles? Maybe I have puzzled too much.
    If you need recommendations for puzzle games:
    Antichamber - A Portal-like with non-Euclidean geometry. Game works in delightfully unhinged ways, and will make your head hurt trying to figure things out.
    The Witness - A Myst-like game in setup, with a very large number of puzzles and very little explanation of what anything does. Surprisingly complex puzzles overall.
    Baba is You - Deceptively simple looking programing adjacent game. Still banging my head against this game going on 2 years due to stubbornly refusing to look up solutions.
    Slayaway Camp - Slide block style puzzles, where you play as a the villian in 80s horror themed levels. Delightfully over the top, does have a non-gore mode as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    If you need recommendations for puzzle games:

The Witness - A Myst-like game in setup, with a very large number of puzzles and very little explanation of what anything does. Surprisingly complex puzzles overall.
    The Looker -- a free parody game of the above

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

As an aside, I'm still trying to finish Talos Principle (haven't even touched the Road to Gehenna DLC yet) -- but there's still a few puzzles I'm having trouble with because I don't have the eye-hand coordination on either keyboard or console to avoid the bombs yet in them (and I can't parkour my way around them).

16. - Top - End - #316
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Tried out the Tactical Breach Wizards demo, looks quite charming and fun.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

Since War of the Righteous is now complete I can finally tackle this beast of a game
    I've been playing it for the past 2 weeks and so far I'm pretty happy with the game. I've just reached Act 3 so there is still a lot to cover.
    War of the Righteous offers a very focused experience and to my surprise manages to convey the war atmosphere pretty well.

The companions are a mixed bag, but my overall impression is positive. Ember is by far my favorite so far. Also, as the game does not expect you to drag everyone with you I've dismissed companions pretty rigorously. My core party is Seelah, Camelia, Lann, Ember and Sosiel. I've kept Ulbric as a back-up character because there is no in-character reason to get rid of him, as well as Regill. Again, it makes sense to keep him around and he spices things up in conversations. Also, he is a better back-up character then Ulbric.

I find the approach to the combat interesting. While round-to-round micro-decisions are still important, there is a stronger focus on strategy dealing with a particular combat scenario. I think when broken down the challenge comes from two axis: first, as there is real attrition in this game, you have to approach combat with that in mind. Fight while preserving your strength and options. The second type of challenge are the encounters that are just difficult. Where you need a solid plan to even win.
    Mind you, I'm not saying that this approach is better then that of Solasta or the Divinity: OS games. Just different.
    Games like War of the Righteous, Baldurs Gate 3 and Pillars of Eternity can seem deceptively similar to each other, so to me it is a good thing that there is a good amount of variation in the genre

18. - Top - End - #318
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    The companions are a mixed bag, but my overall impression is positive. Ember is by far my favorite so far. Also, as the game does not expect you to drag everyone with you I've dismissed companions pretty rigorously. My core party is Seelah, Camelia, Lann, Ember and Sosiel. I've kept Ulbric as a back-up character because there is no in-character reason to get rid of him, as well as Regill. Again, it makes sense to keep him around and he spices things up in conversations. Also, he is a better back-up character then Ulbric.
    That's kind of interesting. Why do you feel the need to dismiss them? Most of them sticking around don't do anything if you aren't actively using them, so there's no real detriment to having them, and their quests often unlock pretty big things. Though maybe you're planning on multiple playthroughs so you just want the content saved.

Honestly, I just really like all the companions. Even the ones that seem one-note have a lot of depth if you get to know them. It's how I came to believe that Wenduag is the most complex character in the game, even though she initially appears as nothing but a straight murderhobo.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Back from honeymoon, so back to the normal rotation.

World of Warships for like two, three matches a day, tops. I'm kinda-sota grinding out the commonwealth cruiser line, but am inevitably completely out of credits again, so it's less "play commonwealth cruisers" and more "play rando premium ships."

Speaking of rando premium ships, I snagged US T9 combo destroyer/wannabe aircraft carrier USS Halford for coal. This is a real thing the US Navy actually did, remove a gun turret and some other stuff from a Fletcher and stick on a catapult for launching a recon and weather observation float plane. In game it's a rocket attack plane, which is joined by a couple other planes that materialize out of the quantum plane field which hangs over every WoWS battle.

The actual combat effect is decidedly underwhelming. The attack flight is really small and has a slow attack run, so it's damage output is bad. And while you're doing that, your very frail little destroyer is left to the tender mercies of your predetermined course and the game's rather bad autopilot. Survivability is questionable. And for this you give up a quintuple torpedo launcher, a 5 in gun, and a mess of AA.

But the support effect is huge. See, WoWS uses a sort of ring model for detection, each ship has a detection radius, and if any enemy is in that radius with clear LoS, you get seen by the entire enemy team. Destroyers generally have really good detection radii of 5.5 - 6.5 km or so, Halford has a completely respectable 6. But thanks to the magic of naval aviation, you can launch a set of eyeballs out, find the enemy destroyers, and let the rest of your team kill them, all from relative safety. Halford on its own is mediocre, Halford on a flank with another DD is dangerous. Halford late game can be a real menace.

Shadows Awakening Got out of Thole (the starting city) and picked up the gnoll puppet, who is the first puppet outside your primary with actual dialog. Also he's kinda a terror in combat.

Penny Arcade On The Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness Ep. 1

Oldie but in my mind a goodie. The game is both extremely linear and very simple, though with enough going on to keep one involved. The real reason to play is the gobs of writing everywhere, which is quite funny if you like the style.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I'm currently game-hopping. I started playing some Skyrim, and decided "Hey, I haven't played the Special Edition ever, let's try that."

I forgot how much I needed SkyUI to get through this game. I am so, so tired of control schemes optimized for controllers. I have 128 keys, not 8.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyOfOptimists View Post
    That's kind of interesting. Why do you feel the need to dismiss them? Most of them sticking around don't do anything if you aren't actively using them, so there's no real detriment to having them, and their quests often unlock pretty big things. Though maybe you're planning on multiple playthroughs so you just want the content saved.
    I think the only companion where dismissing them might be a benefit is
    Spoiler
    Show
    Camellia,
    and even then I don't think there's any real gameplay consequences for not doing so. I also actually quite like that scene.

Honestly, I just really like all the companions. Even the ones that seem one-note have a lot of depth if you get to know them. It's how I came to believe that Wenduag is the most complex character in the game, even though she initially appears as nothing but a straight murderhobo.
    I loathe Nenio, to the point I've considered doing a Sorcerer run just to make her completely redundant. Otherwise I generally agree, I've not used Wenduag yet (I've mostly tried Good runs and not recruited her) but I might on a CN Trickster run. I do like that despite being a counterpoint to Lann she's NOT Chaotic

I should have another crack at a 'no horses' run. Cavalier or Rogue...

Show

22. - Top - End - #322
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I loathe Nenio, to the point I've considered doing a Sorcerer run just to make her completely redundant. Otherwise I generally agree, I've not used Wenduag yet (I've mostly tried Good runs and not recruited her) but I might on a CN Trickster run. I do like that despite being a counterpoint to Lann she's NOT Chaotic

I should have another crack at a 'no horses' run. Cavalier or Rogue...
    Nenio has a very important role in my game: She gets crafting feats. Potions and scrolls of haste, heroism, and any other spell that it will be useful to have in the field.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground

Nenio is very useful because she's an illusionist and a surprising amount of enemies are weak to Phantasmal Killer - and she gets enough save boosting effects that she can kill anything that's vulnerable to it aside from superbosses. Her only real sin is she's the wrong wizard subclass - she'd be far more efficient as a Shadowcaster than a Scroll Savant.

Seriously there's a ton of basic enemies, and even boss level enemies, that she can just instantly kill with a Heightened Persistent Phantasmal Killer. Her only real problem is with Undead with Mind-Effecting immunity and immunity to paralysis AND stun, which shuts down even her best Greater Shadow Evocation choices (icy prison and Ki Shout). Luckily Ember can learn at 18 a hex that save or dies all undead and you can improve hex dcs by +3, making her a decent undead killer for Nenio.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Finished my second playthrough of Shadow of the Erdtree. This was my Dragon Communion build which I had converted into a Fire build, but I quickly swapped back to being full Dragon Communion.

Spoiler: Elden Ring DLC
    Show
    The flame spells just don't compete with Dragonfire. The new fire incantations were all pretty disappointing, with only Mesmer's Orb being pretty cool but ruined by the lack of hyperarmor (hmmm, where have we heard that before?) which will no doubt be addressed in a patch a year from now. The new Dragon Communion spells were also pretty disappointing, with Bayle's Flame Lightning filling the same role as Dragonmaw but taking longer to charge up, harder to aim, and leaving you in a much more vulnerable position if you whiff. Ghostflame Breath is basically the same thing as Dragonice, although apparently its a bit more efficent. However, it has the named dragon animation, which limits its range, makes it harder to aim, and most importantly cannot be used from Torrent.

The old standbys still work though, and Dragon Communion builds are as OP as ever. I was doing my first "story run" so I almost always had an NPC summon alongside me, and bosses melted. The only two to give me trouble were Rellana and the final boss, and the former was just because my damage couldn't deal with her healthpool/resistances. I was able to get off my dragonbreaths against the final boss, but the damage was poor and trying to balance the potions was too much. So, I swapped to a Poison/Bleed build with The Poison Flower Blooms Twice, and awesome Ash of War that lets you rip Poison/Scarlet Rot off your opponent for a massive damage spike on the same level as a Bleed proc. Since my Great Katana already did Bleed, bosses were getting chunks taken out of them on the regular.

I went sword and board again against Radahn/Miquella, but this time it was with a relatively light metal shield. Just enough to throw up a block against unexpected blows before dodging again, rather than turtling up. I felt like I learned the fight a lot better, although there are still moves I cannot avoid at all (his gravity drag into shockwave got me every time). I finally got him with a simultaneous Bleed/Poison Flower proc that chunked his last bit of health immediately after his comet before he had time to go crazy and kill me.

Next build is going to be a Perfumer, but it's going to take me a while since I have to go from scratch this time. It's been a long time since I did a full Dex build and I've never really messed with the base game Perfumes so I'm pretty excited.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryOgre View Post
    I'm currently game-hopping. I started playing some Skyrim, and decided "Hey, I haven't played the Special Edition ever, let's try that."

I forgot how much I needed SkyUI to get through this game. I am so, so tired of control schemes optimized for controllers. I have 128 keys, not 8.
    So...install it? SkyUI is compatible with Special/Anniversary Edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post

Next build is going to be a Perfumer, but it's going to take me a while since I have to go from scratch this time. It's been a long time since I did a full Dex build and I've never really messed with the base game Perfumes so I'm pretty excited.
    Consider rolling with a combo of Seamless Co-Op and the "Glorious Merchant" mod that turns Kale into a cheat vendor. It's been the easiest way I've found to get instant access to DLC items when I want to do a normal playthrough. Seamless Co-Op is technically optional but gives you a "best of both worlds" approach by disabling the anti-cheat (which you need to do for mods anyway) but still giving you access to almost all base game features, including co-op (obviously) and even the ability to Invade since it uses its own launcher and servers.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2024-07-11 at 05:39 PM.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah Special Edition has 90% of the mods Oldrim does.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

I can't really think of a mod Oldrim has that SE doesn't at least have an equivalent for, and usually one that runs smoother and with less script bloat.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

There are a couple but they're obscure quest mods. And a couple where the original functionality couldn't be duplicated so they changed and that was enough for me not to consider them properly ported.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Consider rolling with a combo of Seamless Co-Op and the "Glorious Merchant" mod that turns Kale into a cheat vendor. It's been the easiest way I've found to get instant access to DLC items when I want to do a normal playthrough. Seamless Co-Op is technically optional but gives you a "best of both worlds" approach by disabling the anti-cheat (which you need to do for mods anyway) but still giving you access to almost all base game features, including co-op (obviously) and even the ability to Invade since it uses its own launcher and servers.
    Thanks for telling me about the Glorious Merchant mod, I wasn't aware that existed. Very cool for just getting what I want on a new run.

I decided to start out with the Firespark Perfume since it's "the classic" perfume the base game enemies use. Each time I kill a Shardbearer I get to have another, and I'll probably save at least one for when I actually do the DLC (perhaps by including some of the offensive base game perfume bottles in my Shardbearer rewards?).

Doesn't do as much damage as I thought it would, it hits kinda like a short sword at very low levels which makes it a bit tricky to use. Very different playstyle though so hopefully I'll grow into them.

The way the Perfume bottles play makes them perfect for trying a Throwing Jar run at the same time, another build I've always wanted to try. Might make more use of the Glorious Merchant just so I don't have to farm materials, gathering the cookbooks through natural play.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    There are a couple but they're obscure quest mods. And a couple where the original functionality couldn't be duplicated so they changed and that was enough for me not to consider them properly ported.
    Which ones couldn't be properly duplicated? Most major overhauls to existing mods I've noticed come from SE just having way more tools to better implement on the concept; they do all the same stuff and more.

Thanks for telling me about the Glorious Merchant mod, I wasn't aware that existed. Very cool for just getting what I want on a new run.
    No problem! Me and my friend group have been playing around with it, it's great for all the DLC stuff that SHOULD be usable by lower level characters (really low stat requirements on some of the weapons and spells) but can't be unless you really wanna do an SL1 run to Mohg.

I decided to start out with the Firespark Perfume since it's "the classic" perfume the base game enemies use. Each time I kill a Shardbearer I get to have another, and I'll probably save at least one for when I actually do the DLC (perhaps by including some of the offensive base game perfume bottles in my Shardbearer rewards?).

Doesn't do as much damage as I thought it would, it hits kinda like a short sword at very low levels which makes it a bit tricky to use. Very different playstyle though so hopefully I'll grow into them.

The way the Perfume bottles play makes them perfect for trying a Throwing Jar run at the same time, another build I've always wanted to try. Might make more use of the Glorious Merchant just so I don't have to farm materials, gathering the cookbooks through natural play.
    Yeah, the bottles need some tweaks IMO. Their base damage is low, and the Rolling Spark skill was broken before the last patch (like "3 shot the DLC final boss" broken). Now they've nerfed Rolling Spark but not buffed the baseline performance of the bottles.

I'd love to see them, Dryleaf Arts/Dane's Footwork, and Beast Claws given a little more damage so all three aren't just usable with Cold/Blood infusions or other statuses.