New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: What Are You Playing 10: Ten Builds, Zero Progress

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyOfOptimists View Post
    Playing this really gave me an itch for a good modern dungeon crawler/blobber and I can't seem to find one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    You know maybe I should give these old school dungeon crawlers a go. Any recommendations for a practical first timer?
    A good number of first person dungeon crawlers have been released since the pc gaming revolution of the early 2010's. RPGs in general are niche games with studios like Olwcat, Larian, Obsidian and CD Project being absolute outliers. The norm are small to very small teams with low budget. First person dungeon crawlers are niche within the niche. If you mostly pay attention to big releases you will likely never hear of them.

Personally I would second the recommendation for Legend of Grimrock 2. Yes, skip the first one. The sequel is that much better.
    Another title that I had enjoyed greatly is Operencia. This one features turn-based combat and has a strong focus on characters and stroy. It is somewhat similar to Bards Tale IV, which I would also highly recommend - if you like puzzle games at least ;-)

There are several other titles to look into. I've not played them myself so I'm not aware of their strengths and weaknesses. From the top of my head:
    • Heroes of the Monkey Tavern
    • 7th Circle - The Endless Nightmare
    • Inferno - Beyond the 7th Circle
    • Ludus Mortis
    • Ruzar: The Life Stone
    • A Quest That Became Legend

I have taken interest in A Quest That Became Legend myself. The game's main inspiration seem to be the Might&Magic games. It had a rocky release last year, but the reviews have since taken a turn to the very positive.

And with dungeon crawlers in particular there is always the option to just pick up the old games. Some of them have aged incredibly well. The golden era of Might&Magic (MM6 to MM8) is the best example in my opinion: they were slick and fun and easy to pick up back then and they are all of that today.
    My recommendation of a less well know title is Anvil of Dawn, visceral and dark in its atmosphere and easy to get in (a good automap and just one character to manage).

On topic:
    It has been on my list for quite some time, but I've finally picked up Observer: System Redux. Observer is a first-person cyberpunk crime adventure. It took me some time to understand what this game really is: the video game equivalent of a chamber play. Compared to other cyberpunk games like CP2077 or Technobabylon, Observer is confined to a single apartment block. This microcosm has some zoo-like properties, but it functions as a lens through which the player experiences (or dare I say: observes) the setting.
    The setting is pessimistic even considering the generally dystopian qualities of the cyberpunk genre.
    The game's focus and reason to actually play are the stories of human tragedy and drama that you uncover as part of your investigation. The game rarely spells anything out. Instead it lets images and scenes speak for itself, and relies on the player's abilities to connect bits of information from like dialogues and emails.
    Personally I enjoy this deliberate approach very much.
    Thus Observer is an easy recommendation for anyone who enjoys heavy cyberpunk stories as I think they are very well told and presented in this game - just don't expect any kind of "real" gameplay though.
    Last edited by Zombimode; 2024-06-02 at 07:23 AM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Oh yeah, the new hot thing "Cryptmaster" is supposed to be part dungeon crawler, part typing game too IIRC.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

I'll look up all the suggestions when my next paycheque comes in, but leaning towards Etrian Odyssey just because I know it includes mapping in-game instead of requiring graph paper.

I can see again, so back to the CRPGs. As much as I like Shifter I'm not keen on it's alignment restrictions, do I've whipped up a Dhampir Cavalier (Disciple of the Pike, to do a no mounts run). Now just to see if I can work out why my computer is blue screening all the time.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Completed the single-player content of Yu-Gi-Oh: Legacy of the Duelist now. And with all the currency I've built up doing it, I've unlocked most of the cards in the game too. Most of the "booster packs" you can purchase I've gotten to the point of only having a few cards I have no copies of, and under 100 needed for having three copies of all (out of ~940 needed for three copies), with only a handful of exceptions from the last series in the game. Not sure how much more I might do with the game now that there's no single-player content I haven't experienced left, although there is some surprising cards that seem themed after Star Wars crossed with witches that have been popping up in the latest packs I was buying, and that aesthetic alone makes me kind of want to make that deck, so maybe I'll do a bit more yet.

Also started playing Pretty Princess Dress-up er, Princess Peach: Showtime! Which is a fun little game, and it's nice seeing Peach actually get to kick ass in something besides Smash Brothers for once. Already surprised me a touch with "Dashing Thief Peach," aka Arsene Lupin Peach, which I don't remember from the previews, and was neat to see. It is kind of noticeable how they avoid giving Cowgirl Peach a gun in favor of a lasso, particularly after having just played Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, where Sly's ancestor from the wild west was a gun-slinging cowboy, but eh, still fun. Although I could've done without "Patisserie Peach" (aka Chef Peach), whose entire stage just felt like a series of underwhelming Mario Party mini-games.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

So the next AoW4 DLC drops on the 18th (eldritch abomination rulers, at last I can play as a mind-ripping eyeball-winged horror, I'm psyched.) That means AoW4 detox until then.

So back to Spellforce 3. It really is amazing how much of a difference the RTS portion makes to the narrative. Like the first major map has a village being attacked by orcs. Generally an RPG would have some goofy thing where you did a bunch of quests to challenge the orc leader to single combat or sneak into the base or some goofy thing because you have a party of 4 schmucks, or else you just kill the entire orc army in convenient groups of 5 - 10 dudes.

Here it's just like "raise army, win battle." So much less forced. It also, particularly early in the game, allows for a much more reasonable power differential between heroes and everybody else. The heroes are definitely stronger than any given rando, but absolutely cannot solo even small armies.

There's some rough points in the marriage of RTS and RPG though. The villages and stuff that are set up for the RPG side don't really do anything in the RTS bit, no resource generation or anything because that's all part of the RTS economy. Likewise the RTS economy doesn't touch the RPG economy, so you can't produce stuff for your character in the RTS, or clean out the shop using your giant economy or anything. These are basically nitpicks, and more or less necessary compromises.

I still miss the mode from the first and second games where you could play in a somewhat janky over the shoulder RPG mode though. It wasn't very useful, but it was very cool. I have very fond memories of watching the sun come up through the 2000s-era 3d graphics fog as I explored some random hills.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    And with dungeon crawlers in particular there is always the option to just pick up the old games. Some of them have aged incredibly well. The golden era of Might&Magic (MM6 to MM8) is the best example in my opinion: they were slick and fun and easy to pick up back then and they are all of that today.
    I'd also throw in MM3 - MM5 as contenders as well. Some of the interfaces (paticularly the inventory) are a bit clunky, but the games are full of charm and surprises. Hopped down a hole? Hope you brought a rope and torch, or magic created alternatives. Jumped into a strange teleporter? Now you're on the underside of your flat world.

Made it through year 1 in Stardew Valley finally. About 1/3rd of the way through Spring 2, just got sheep and pigs. Really considering finding a mod that shows villagers' locations on the map, don't really feel the need to live in the wiki or memorize everyone's schedule. Also need to get around to getting a set of the fruit trees for my greenhouse.

Poking at PoE, keep running into death. Running an archer with a murder deer, and have the Mage guy from the town with the hanging tree. Can't finish the blacksmith's quest cause the bandits' leader is a brick wall no matter what I do. Can't get into the Eastern Castle, cause the sewer critters find me tasty. Debating between starting a new character, or looking up where I can snag another party member or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm back in Paragon City playing city of heroes homecoming. I love playing a Tanker with fire aura. Being able to solo a Lead Torch three levels higher than me is so satisfying.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Finished up Observer and I stand by everything I said in my earlier post. The game is a wild experience, the cyberpunk setting while obviously genre-typical is well thought-out and stands on its own, the story is deep and touching.

I would recommend Observer to anyone who enjoys a good cyberpunk/sci-fi story and likes the idea of experiencing one through the lens of a narrative adventure/walking-sim game.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

I've been playing Diablo 4 for just a bit, took a short break before the new season and started a sorceress. I started with a druid in the previous season, but the sorceress just felt better right from the start.

It was hard to care too much about a lot of the quests, because it's really hard to do much new with them in that style of game. But the short little area events and small dungeons are nice.

The end of the storyline had some choices that don't make a lot of sense, but mostly feel like forced tension. But most of the overall storylines were decent.

The slow buildup of gear felt pretty good, until you unlock world tier 3 and in an hour have a full set of legendary drops that completely outclass everything you worked so hard to put together. It really puts a big question mark on when do you actually start using those crafting resources rather than saving them for "the actual good drops you want them for."

I'm sure I'll grind out gear and end game for a little while, but I've never really put that much effort into the loot grinding wheel of endgame

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Dead by Daylight released its new DLC, which brought D&D to the game.

The killer is Vecna. I find it amusing that many in that community knew Vecna from Stranger Things when in fact, it all began with D&D.

As for the survivors, it’s a pair of bards, human and elf. Having played D&D myself, I find an elf bard an odd choice- if they’re going bard, maybe a gnome, but I digress.

Gameplay wise, Vecna is fun to play as. He only gets four spells which is a considerable downgrade given his lore- one of them is Mage Hand, a spell I doubt a demigod would use.

The bards have the ability to create momentary illusions of themselves to distract Vecna and waste time with them, which, given how the illusion has a glamour around them, may be ignored utterly if the killer has sharp observation skills. However, their best ability is taking out a lute and jamming for no reason while murder and mayhem abound around them.

Of note, they added an impressive map which is supposed to be Vecna’s domain- The Rotted Tower. It has a beholder peeping at you from behind a cell and scattered treasure chests invite greedy players to rummage through them… only for the chests to be mimics.

I still am not a fan of Dead by Daylight, but was pleasantly surprised to go back if only for a few matches and play a pseudo D&D one shot adventure.
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2024-06-04 at 04:09 AM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by AlanBruce View Post
    As for the survivors, it’s a pair of bards, human and elf. Having played D&D myself, I find an elf bard an odd choice- if they’re going bard, maybe a gnome, but I digress.
    Obvious technical reasons why they'd want to go for characters within the bounds of the other human characters instead of going for a much smaller character. Also I don't see how an Elf bard is weird?

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
    Obvious technical reasons why they'd want to go for characters within the bounds of the other human characters instead of going for a much smaller character. Also I don't see how an Elf bard is weird?
    It may just be my own perspective. In my games, elves are typically rangers, druids or more commonly, wizards. I never played any editions after 3rd, so other classes may have become more popular for elves. From what I recall, wizard was the default go to class for elf. With Grey Elf being the preferred sub race.

13. - Top - End - #103

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by AlanBruce View Post
    It may just be my own perspective. In my games, elves are typically rangers, druids or more commonly, wizards. I never played any editions after 3rd, so other classes may have become more popular for elves. From what I recall, wizard was the default go to class for elf. With Grey Elf being the preferred sub race.
    Elves are very popular in general and also pretty versatile class wise. I don't think bard is super common, but it's not like against expectations for what an Elf ought to be, it's not unconventional enough to be noteworthy. This is not a half-orc wizard or gnome barbarian, it's a pretty unremarkable class/race combo which also makes a lot of sense for the crossover.

Bard is a classic class but not really a combat powerhouse, so it can still feel like itself in a game that denies it any offensive power, and Elves are a recognizable and popular D&D race that's also basically human in a way which makes it easy to implement.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Tales From Candlekeep: Tomb of Annihilation on normal setting.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Firbolg in the Playground

If anyone is wondering how the destiny expansion launch is going:
    the game has a species of wish dragons that grant monkey-paw wishes
    Bungie wished all their players would come back
    their wish was granted, servers are on fire
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

TBH I'm kind of astounded so many people are willing to give the game another shot after how dog**** Lightfall was. Like putting aside the narrative (which has been bad since Red War, and only got marginally better from there) everything about the story content was atrocious to play and the seasonal content was passable at best.

But D2 I guess just has a stranglehold on some people. I've given the game so many tries over the years due to a friend who plays pestering me about it constantly and it just keeps getting worse.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Completed Princess Peach: Showtime! Very short game, but quite fun. Although after a while you do kind of realize that none of the forms she can take have much more to them than a Mario Party mini-game, but eh, most of them are pretty fun anyway, it's really only Patisserie Peach that is kind of a drag. Personal favorites were Ninja Peach, Mighty Peach (a Power Rangers-style space superhero), and Kung-Fu Peach, in that order. I also must say, if the next Smash Brothers doesn't at least give her
    Spoiler: Final Boss spoiler.
    Show
    Radiant Peach as a new Final Smash, I will be quite disappointed. I mean, they gave her a super form where she flies and shoots lasers made of starlight like she was in Dragon Ball Z, even if they don't want to do anything with the other forms, that ****'s perfect for Smash.

It does kind of feel like this may be the last hurrah for the Switch to me though. I mean, we'll see what it has in the latter half of the year whenever Nintendo does their not-E3 Direct, but given we know the next system is getting revealed in less than a year now and the only things like major releases the system has had this year are this and the Paper Mario remake, this might honestly be the last significant non-remake game the system gets. Not the worst way to go out I suppose, but unless there's some surprise for the second half of the year, it does feel like a pretty dry last year for the system. I suppose it would be hoping for too much for that to mean that the next system will have a strong launch lineup though, since that basically never happens.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

18. - Top - End - #108

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    If anyone is wondering how the destiny expansion launch is going:
    the game has a species of wish dragons that grant monkey-paw wishes
    Bungie wished all their players would come back
    their wish was granted, servers are on fire
    It's a shame, because when it's actually functional I've been enjoying it quite a bit. I've got something of a time limit (unless Bungie suddenly gets cool with SteamDeck) which is applying more pressure than I would like and means I'm gonna miss the raid and finale, so the errors are a lot more frustrating than they otherwise might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    TBH I'm kind of astounded so many people are willing to give the game another shot after how dog**** Lightfall was. Like putting aside the narrative (which has been bad since Red War, and only got marginally better from there) everything about the story content was atrocious to play and the seasonal content was passable at best.
    It's not really that I need to give it another shot, I've been playing consistently. Lightfall was bad, make no mistake, but Destiny's had bad expansions before (if Curse of Osiris couldn't break me, nothing will) and I still enjoy the core game. Bungie's good at making shooters and the Endgame stuff is as good as ever.
    Last edited by Errorname; 2024-06-05 at 12:50 AM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Checked out Cryptmaster. Not as good as people make it to be, but not bad as well.

It's a dungeon crawler, but everything has to do with typing, which has its fun moments. Chests drop letters as loot for example, which you use to guess and remember your old moves. So if you are good at guessing, you open up your skill arsenal faster than intended. And most boss fights are riddles/guessing games.

It's a bit hard to put into just words, really.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Catullus64 View Post
    Legend of Grimrock 2 is one of those sequels that, in my opinion, completely outclasses the predecessor, and as such I would recommend it first.
    Did it fix the headache problem? I, and some other people, couldn't play LoG1 because it persistently gave me a headache, probably due to the way the light flickered constantly and there being no way to disable that.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Seems I missed the bit where you can recruit custom characters at Inns in PoE. So I now have a monk and fighter to meatshield for my Archer and Mage. Things have been much smoother now, cleared the bandit camp with only 1 character getting knocked down and made it to a couple of new zones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

I've been playing a lot of things lately. Mario Kart 8, Pokemon Insurgence (really good fangame, by the way! check it out), Sonic Colors, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy V, plenty of things.
    Hello! I hope you're all having a good day. I make homebrew, could you look at it?

23. - Top - End - #113
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

TIL you can quicksave during conversations in Fallout 4.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

24. - Top - End - #114

Alas, this news did not hit in time for the last What Are You Playing thread...

https://blog.bioware.com/2024/06/06/theveilguard/

The Next Dragon Age Has a New Title

Hi everyone,

Summer is nearly upon us, and as promised, we’re ready to provide an update on our big reveal. We’d like to invite the world to join us on Tuesday, June 11, for the official first look at gameplay for the next Dragon Age!

After Dragon Age: Inquisition launched, the studio was given an incredible opportunity to explore, test, and validate a variety of gameplay concepts as we worked to determine what the next Dragon Age could look like. We brought everything to the table which, yes, even included a multiplayer concept. The time we spent experimenting and iterating gradually taught us a lot. This work, and the amazing support from EA, helped us re-focus on creating an incredible single player game, with all the choices, characters and world building you’d expect from us.

At BioWare, we create worlds of adventure, conflict and companionship, where you’re at the center of it all. As fans of our franchise know, every Dragon Age game has delivered a new standalone story. Set in the world of Thedas, these tales explore epic locales and threats, always thrusting you into a new conflict. Each game also introduces a new lead hero – The Warden, Hawke, The Inquisitor – that you can call your own. You can expect all that, and more, with the new game. And of course, much like your unique hero, it wouldn’t be a Dragon Age game without an amazing cast of companions – right?

Each of the seven unique characters that make up your companions will have deep and compelling storylines where the decisions you make will impact your relationships with them – as well as their lives. You’ll unite this team of unforgettable heroes as you take on a terrifying new threat unleashed on the world. Naturally, the Dread Wolf still has an important part in this tale, but you and your companions – not your enemies – are the heart of this new experience.

So, to capture what this game is all about, we changed the name as the original title didn’t show just how strongly we feel about our new heroes, their stories and how you’ll need to bring them together to save all of Thedas.
    We proudly introduce to you Dragon Age™: The Veilguard.

We know you’ve been waiting a long time for this reveal and we’re so ready to show you what we’ve been up to. We’ll see you on Tuesday, June 11th at 8:00am PT at the Dragon Age YouTube channel with over 15 minutes of gameplay from the opening moments of the game that has you jumping back into Thedas on your new adventure.

This moment means so much to everyone at BioWare, and we wouldn’t be here without you. We’re ready to have some fun, so join the chat early…we’ve got a few special surprises for you.

Thank you for all your support. See you soon,

Gary McKay

Executive Producer, Dragon Age, and General Manager, BioWare
    Me, I'll wait for the Gold edition or whatever they call it. Inquisition soured me.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryOgre View Post
    Me, I'll wait for the Gold edition or whatever they call it. Inquisition soured me.
    Me, I'll wait for...actually, there is probably nothing they can do to sucker me back in. Inquisition soured me to the point where I looked back and realised something that I had been avoiding. Dragon Age was never any good. The first game quickly turned into a slog after the introduction, and the second game, while fun and definitely the peak of the series, had a large number of very obvious problems.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Not to mention most of, if not all of the original Bioware people bailed anyway. And Inquisition rubbed me the wrong way on SO many levels...

That Night Slashers remaster could be promising. (Really cool Data East arcade beat em up) Especially if they add all the content and story finally playable in english. It is very difficult for me to trust any remaster or remake not done by Nightdive Studio's. (The rise of the triad remaster they did "ludicrous edition" was amazing)

Or I could just play some Snowbreak
    Last edited by WritersBlock; 2024-06-07 at 04:58 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Been playing Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown for the past couple of days. Annoyance at startup aside (I could only play it without creating an Ubisoft account by disconnecting my PS5 from the internet entirely, because apparently Ubisoft really wants to be able to track you very closely even when you play their single-player games), it's pretty damn good. Metroidvania-style action-platformer with some solid combat, and an interesting enough story going on. Slightly surprisingly you're not actually playing as the titular Prince of Persia - you're one of the seven Immortals (just a title), great warriors of Persia, instead, while the Prince is a dude in distress you need to rescue. Once things get going you're exploring a castle where some kind of curse has rendered time rather wonky, with different characters within it experience it at different rates, and even different versions of the same character from alternate timelines being able to show up. I'm curious where that'll all go.

The combat's more challenging than I expected honestly. I'm just playing on the normal difficulty, but death's not been uncommon. The game has a parry mechanic, but no block mechanic - if you don't time the parry right there's no safety of "well, if I do it too early at least I'll block," you'll get hit. In fact, you'll get hit for extra damage; if you mistime a parry or try to parry an unparryable move (which are advertised with a red flash, like unblockables in other games), you take a lot more damage than you otherwise would even from just getting hit. The game is making sure to punish big mistakes harshly. Dodging is safer, being pretty generous with its invincibility, but significantly less rewarding than a successful parry, and not so invincible as to let you just spam it to get out of anything. The couple of boss fights I've had have been pretty good, exploring feels good, you get some great mobility tools (start with a nice dash and wall-jump, get an air dash pretty early on that feels quite good to use, I'm sure there'll be a double-jump at some point); all in all, seems like the makings of a very strong action-Metroidvania game.

Although the part I just did was annoying: after a certain story bit, a non-hostile but annoying character steals the item that lets you see the map. In a Metroidvania game. And to top that off, the area you have to chase him through to get it back is everyone's favorite: the game's sewer level. Yeah, hopefully that part proves to be the exception to the game's quality - the lowest point in more ways than one, if you will.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Been playing Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown for the past couple of days. Annoyance at startup aside (I could only play it without creating an Ubisoft account by disconnecting my PS5 from the internet entirely, because apparently Ubisoft really wants to be able to track you very closely even when you play their single-player games)
    I bought it on Switch specifically to avoid that issue, and because it's the first game I've ever seen cheaper on Switch than PC. Looking forward to playing it at some point.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm doing badge hunting in City of Heroes. I'm a ways off from earning archmage but I'm getting there.

30. - Top - End - #120

Quote Originally Posted by MinimanMidget View Post
    Me, I'll wait for...actually, there is probably nothing they can do to sucker me back in. Inquisition soured me to the point where I looked back and realised something that I had been avoiding. Dragon Age was never any good. The first game quickly turned into a slog after the introduction, and the second game, while fun and definitely the peak of the series, had a large number of very obvious problems.
    Personal reviews from friends are good enough, I'll buy it eventually. But I'm not gonna shell out opening day money for it.
    The Cranky Gamer