New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: What Are You Playing 10: Ten Builds, Zero Progress

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryOgre View Post
    TIL you can quicksave during conversations in Fallout 4.
    I'd pay quite a lot for that ability IRL.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Personal reviews from friends are good enough, I'll buy it eventually. But I'm not gonna shell out opening day money for it.
    While I still have massive nostalgia for Origins and 2, and like a good 10% of Inquisition, I'm pretty much in this boat. Maybe I'll just wait for the price to drop or maybe I'll wait for the 'all the DLC' edition, it depends on what the word of mouth is, but I'm not planning to buy it day one.

Partially because a lot of the promised features don't seem like they'd benefit the game. Implied action combat? Fine, better to just pick one side and stick to it. But I'm really turned off by 'more biomes than ever before', I want less than were in Inquisition. Origins was mostly 'England, but a little less miserable' and 2 got a good look out of poverty and desolation. Both worked and I didn't feel like I was missing out.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    While I still have massive nostalgia for Origins and 2, and like a good 10% of Inquisition, I'm pretty much in this boat. Maybe I'll just wait for the price to drop or maybe I'll wait for the 'all the DLC' edition, it depends on what the word of mouth is, but I'm not planning to buy it day one.

Partially because a lot of the promised features don't seem like they'd benefit the game. Implied action combat? Fine, better to just pick one side and stick to it. But I'm really turned off by 'more biomes than ever before', I want less than were in Inquisition. Origins was mostly 'England, but a little less miserable' and 2 got a good look out of poverty and desolation. Both worked and I didn't feel like I was missing out.
    DA2 didn't even have 10 different maps and people talk about how great it was.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair map reuse was an issue in DA2, but at the end of the day I grew to know every map very well. It might only have one cave map, but it's a good map that holds many good fights.

Like the issue isn't the number of maps but how the game uses them. DA2 stretches it's maps to the limit with minimal changes and keeps things densely packed. Inquisition meanwhile puts a walk between everything, the first thing I do in any of it's maps is set up the fast travel points to make the tedium slightly more bearable.

I've said it before, Inquisition is so much better in the DLC where the quest chains are designed to take you across the majority of the map and then be done.

I'd be entirely fine with a 100 hour Dragon Age game set entirely within a single alienage, it would force them to wring every last scrap of potential out of the area.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

I was generally alright with DA2's heavy reusing of maps, even if it got rather repetitive (and I thought having separate maps for day and night time was pretty neat) but one thing that did bug me was that they didn't bother adjusting the minimaps, so a map might for example have closed off corridor still showing up on the map. Very minor detail, but annoying.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've definitely gotten the feeling over the years that more people have been talking about how great DA2 was the more time passes. I think that maybe it's because the sorts of things it's good at (like character writing) are more memorable than the things it's bad at (like repetitive encounter design).

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    I was generally alright with DA2's heavy reusing of maps, even if it got rather repetitive (and I thought having separate maps for day and night time was pretty neat) but one thing that did bug me was that they didn't bother adjusting the minimaps, so a map might for example have closed off corridor still showing up on the map. Very minor detail, but annoying.
    That's pretty much where I'm at on that one. I probably wouldn't have even noticed most of the map reuse if they'd edited the minimaps.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Most of the map reuse is up front, and the sewer map doesn't quite appear enough to be annoying (and tends to just place an exit instead of a wall). The only one I really have an issue with is The Cave, because it appears in like every third quest all through the game, but yes changing the minimal would have helped with that.

Started up Origins, got bored, made an import save and started DA2. Honestly I much prefer it's opening to the Origins, it feels like you're doing something important much more immediately and it isn't too long until the chest hair appears. Then we get an objective that actually seems reasonable for an experienced mercenary: do odd jobs to raise a boatload of money.

Now if only there was a sexy pirate lady to lesbian with...

Show

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: DA 1-3
    Show
    Isn't 'Veilguard' basically what the Inquisition was doing? Every DA instalment build this massive, powerful organisation and then have to figure out how to get rid of it in the next instalment so the new lead character has something to do.

I'm not that interested in Mage/Templar stuff anymore, and tearing down the veil just seems like a repeat of Corypheus. I'd like to check in on Orzammar, but that's it.

What I'm actually playing. Battlefield 1. Didn't especially enjoy it.
    Last edited by Sapphire Guard; 2024-06-08 at 06:06 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Show
    Isn't 'Veilguard' basically what the Inquisition was doing? Every DA instalment build this massive, powerful organisation and then have to figure out how to get rid of it in the next instalment so the new lead character has something to do.

I'm not that interested in Mage/Templar stuff anymore, and tearing down the veil just seems like a repeat of Corypheus. I'd like to check in on Orzammar, but that's it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    DA2 didn't focus on a massive organization, and sadly looks like it'll be forever the oddball in the series. Plus one of the options at the end of Trespasser is to disband the Inquisition, which really doesn't help with the next game's plot (there may or may not already be a massive organisation that should be looking into this).

Also the Veil stuff was pretty much stated to be the plot of DA4 by Inquisition. It is meaningfully different from what Corypheus planned to do, if only because Solas is not planning to hog all the godlike power for himself, and in fact Cory's survival actually derailed plan A. Loosely speaking Corypheus wanted the power to physically enter the Fade, assume control of the Black City, and become akin to the Maker, Solas is planning to forcibly fuse the Warp with real space and empower every mage to his level.

Yes it's not interesting, but we knew it would be that going in.

Show

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Show

They only did that for Inquisition though? In Origins you join the Grey Wardens, but they're a group that existed before and continued to exist after; in DA2 you weren't a part of any organization at all, you were just a person in a city on a collision course with crazy.

And they already swept the Mage/Templar stuff under the rug in Inquisition (sadly, IMO). And tearing down the veil is very much not a repeat of Corypheus - he wanted to try physically entering the Fade again, as he and the other Magisters had before (also to rule the world, but he was still convinced doing the former would help him do the latter). Solas wants to get rid of the Veil entirely, which would reunite the material world and Fade, basically destroying the material world as we know it in the process in order to restore the world of the Elves as it was in his time.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I can't see tearing down the veil not resulting in a giant demon invasion, which is what Corypheus did in the future timeline.

The Grey Wardens post blight would have had a lot of influence in post blight Ferelden, so inquisition had them removed via blood magic demon summoning and killing themselves.

Hawke is the Champion of Kirkwall and possibly the Viscount. If they're not technically the Viscount, they've put whoever it is in the chair. That's a lot of power and influence that they had to walk away from to get out of the way.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, the more I play of Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown, the more impressed I become. For one, it's always a positive sign for how good a game is when you're losing track of time while playing it, and that's definitely been happening to me with this one. Besides that though, I'm very much digging the overall mechanics of the game, and the creative ways they're applied. For instance, the last few new abilities I picked up were all not ones you'd expect to use in combat, just in exploration - one that lets you set a sort of "echo" of yourself you can teleport back to, one that lets you open a pocket dimension to carry items in (the main use for exploration being pocketing something explosive then throwing it at a breakable wall), and one that lets you "enter an alternate dimension" to cause certain transparent objects in the terrain around you to fully appear or disappear. Yet all of these have combat applications, sometimes rather creative ones.

The alternate dimension one is the simplest, though also the most surprising to find any combat use for; there's at least one type of enemy in the game that disappears from view after attacking you and can't be hit until they reappear, and using this alternate dimension shift lets you see and hit them all the time. The pocket dimension one can also catch enemy projectiles to redirect them (including some very big ones, I grabbed an entire tornado a giant bird enemy shot at me once), or even just catch enemies that are your size or smaller and, when you toss them out, they're briefly disoriented and will attack other enemies for you. And the echo/teleport one has the interesting effect of returning you to not just where you set it, but what you were doing at the time, including if you were in the middle of an attack. Which means you can use it to get multiple uses out of moves you need to charge up, or skip straight to the high-damage/knockback final hit of your basic combo sequence, just to name two. Unfortunately doesn't work with your big super moves, but that'd probably be too much, so eh.

And the last boss fight I had was great too, a real step up from the already-solid first major boss. Quite challenging and exciting, took me several tries to take down, and included quite varied attacks and patterns over the course of the fight. If that's a taste of what later bosses will be like, I'm looking forward to it. Exploration's been quite good too, the platforming challenges and puzzles they put together with the game's mechanics are very satisfying, and checking out different parts of the map with new abilities has been quite rewarding.

I'm also still playing some Granblue Rising. Got to a point where I felt I'd played enough Beatrix, so I moved to other characters. First was Nier, who I'd wanted to try after her nerfs (since she was blatantly, stupidly OP before), but I actually found I'm not fond of her. She has some great setplay potential I do enjoy, but playing neutral with her just feels bad to me due to how her tools work, and I actually find that her characterization makes her less fun too - she's just a depressing character with nothing but depressing dialogue, and I'd rather not have that. So I switched to Anila, a character I'd liked a bit more than expected when I tried everyone, and that's definitely been an improvement. She's not likely to shoot up my favorites list, but she's a fun goofball (sheep lady with moveset based on Terry Bogard, and moves whose names are mostly sheep puns) with solid moves and a few neat tricks.

Spoiler
    Show
    I can't see tearing down the veil not resulting in a giant demon invasion, which is what Corypheus did in the future timeline.

The Grey Wardens post blight would have had a lot of influence in post blight Ferelden, so inquisition had them removed via blood magic demon summoning and killing themselves.

Hawke is the Champion of Kirkwall and possibly the Viscount. If they're not technically the Viscount, they've put whoever it is in the chair. That's a lot of power and influence that they had to walk away from to get out of the way.
    "Future timeline?" Anyway, demons are likely to be the least of your worries there - from what Solas described removing the Veil in itself is enough to destroy the world, so if he gets that far, you're screwed anyway.

As for the rest, how is that any different than the army of Ferelden not being able to stop the Blight on their own in Origins? Or the Viscount not being able to keep the Qunari under control in 2? It's just a part of this sort of story - not just RPGs, but any story that revolves around a hero needing to save the region/world/etc - that other groups involved in the story will be in some kind of trouble and need the hero's help to resolve the situation.

(Also, we knew Hawke went missing after DA2 from the very start of DA2. I honestly didn't remember that they could become the Viscount, apparently because it only happens when you side with the Templars; all the more reason to consider that the lesser ending in my mind, since it does make them walking away afterward make a lot less sense.)
    Last edited by Zevox; 2024-06-08 at 11:35 PM.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Since I'm holding off on getting the new Destiny 2 expac, it's freed up time to play other things, so I've gotten into the Multiversus relaunch. And damn, is it the grindiest, greediest game I've ever played. There's a fun game that tries to exist in there, but it's smothered under all the ways Warner Brothers makes their games into bank account extraction devices. WB has a natural ability to take enjoyable game ideas that were actually done well by their dev teams, and then making people refuse to play them by adding such blatant extortion. At least Shadow of War's insulting quantity of microtransactions were completely unneccessary, in Multiversus you're only getting the entire character roster if you spend either 900 hours or 300 dollars. And it doesn't look like the devs managed to sabotage the execs like the Shadow of War devs did with the infinite lootbox exploit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    TBH I'm kind of astounded so many people are willing to give the game another shot after how dog**** Lightfall was. Like putting aside the narrative (which has been bad since Red War, and only got marginally better from there) everything about the story content was atrocious to play and the seasonal content was passable at best.
    I preordered Lightfall sight unseen because I stupidly assumed they'd bring out another masterpiece on par with Witch Queen, but I'm not making that mistake again. My clan was made of dedicated twice-per-week raiders until Lightfall killed everybody's interest in several ways. The raid it gave us beating out Garden of Salvation for softlock mechanics while also being unchallenging when it functioned properly was the last straw.

Even though D2 was my main game for years, I mostly dropped it for a year after Lightfall, and I haven't gotten Final Shape yet, because I'm waiting for reviews. A lot of positive reviews from people I know. It had better not do what Lightfall did and keep taking away the new element until after the campaign is over. I spent that whole damn storyline thinking, "OK, I must have Strand unlocked after that mission!" but then having it taken away from me. Adding a bunch of frustration to the disappointment, great plan!

As much as I want to play through the conclusion of the storylines I've been following for 6+ years now, if Final Shape isn't worth playing, I can just watch a summary. There's potential, as I love the fact that we've been successfully making peace with the enemy factions over the years, something I never imagined in an MMO. Also since it's only the second time I've seen an MMO complete the entire storyline it was built around, instead of whatever that core conflict happens to be just continuing to grind along forever until it's far past ridiculous... Not naming any names, since it's too obvious.

Final Shape needs to be at least as good as Forsaken or Rise of Iron or D2 is pretty much finished. With all that's happened with Bungie and their publishers over the past year, everyone's lost faith, and only delivering will count. Of course, since Bungie's policy is "Don't overdeliver," I'm trying not to get my hopes up.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    "Future timeline?"
    The bad future from the Inquisition quest where you recruit/conscript the mages, I believe.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVid View Post
    Since I'm holding off on getting the new Destiny 2 expac, it's freed up time to play other things, so I've gotten into the Multiversus relaunch. And damn, is it the grindiest, greediest game I've ever played. There's a fun game that tries to exist in there, but it's smothered under all the ways Warner Brothers makes their games into bank account extraction devices. WB has a natural ability to take enjoyable game ideas that were actually done well by their dev teams, and then making people refuse to play them by adding such blatant extortion. At least Shadow of War's insulting quantity of microtransactions were completely unneccessary, in Multiversus you're only getting the entire character roster if you spend either 900 hours or 300 dollars. And it doesn't look like the devs managed to sabotage the execs like the Shadow of War devs did with the infinite lootbox exploit.
    I was also playing this, but uninstalled yesterday after realizing that their "Relaunch Login Event" required you to log in every day or you missed the reward skin. I understand the purpose of these events is to get people to commit to the game, but tuning them that strictly tells me exactly what they expect from their players. They don't want people to play occasionally and have fun. They want the obsessive, gatcha grinder people who make a minor religion out of their devotion to a title.

No thanks. Nothing turns me off a game faster than a naked attempt to dictate my playtime.

Doesn't help that every time I've tried to play 2v2, there's about a 50% chance the game stops working. Unplayable lag, crashes, or desyncs that abort the match halfway through. I was hoping I could get some friends to play every now and then, but it'd be a frustrating experience for everyone.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Firbolg in the Playground

As one of the *counts* between 3 and 4 people that seems to own a series x I think I'm going to be playing that Macross game when it launches in August.
    I mean Microsoft isn't calling it Macross but
    c'mon. they're Tomcats that transform into Mecha.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Saw there is a new Fatal Fury game being made, now this is a new game release that has brought some hype for me.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SerTabris View Post
    The bad future from the Inquisition quest where you recruit/conscript the mages, I believe.
    Huh. I have no recollection of that whatsoever. Been a decade since I played the game though, so I guess that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyOfOptimists View Post
    I was also playing this, but uninstalled yesterday after realizing that their "Relaunch Login Event" required you to log in every day or you missed the reward skin. I understand the purpose of these events is to get people to commit to the game, but tuning them that strictly tells me exactly what they expect from their players. They don't want people to play occasionally and have fun. They want the obsessive, gatcha grinder people who make a minor religion out of their devotion to a title.

No thanks. Nothing turns me off a game faster than a naked attempt to dictate my playtime.
    Yeah, I've never played Destiny (not a FPS fan), but I know that sort of thing from other games, and agree entirely. That's a red flag for me the moment I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by WritersBlock View Post
    Saw there is a new Fatal Fury game being made, now this is a new game release that has brought some hype for me.
    Huh, that surprises me. I've been thinking Fatal Fury was so little-remembered at this point that City of the Wolves would have its work cut out for it getting attention. Even Terry and Mai most people know better from King of Fighters these days.

It is at least visually looking good so far. I'll be curious how it feels when I get my hands on it though. SNK has yet to truly impress me since their revival - I did not like the Samurai Shodown reboot, and had pretty mixed feelings on King of Fighters 15.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I've never played Destiny (not a FPS fan), but I know that sort of thing from other games, and agree entirely. That's a red flag for me the moment I see it.
    That was a response to what I said about Multiversus. You have to log in every day of the 11-day relaunch event to get the Superman skin. Yes, it's a free skin, but it also makes it obvious that Multiversus is the epitome of a live service game: You have to give it 100% of your free time, attention and money or you miss out. Don't feel like playing today? Too bad, you're required to do that or you permanently lose out. Unable to log in even though you are addicted to the game? Too bad, you should have made sure your internet never goes out if you're going to play Multiversus.

Good thing there are currently several hundred live service games in development, I'm sure they'll all find enough players to sustain them...
    Last edited by NeoVid; 2024-06-10 at 01:35 AM.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

20. - Top - End - #140
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

It had better not do what Lightfall did and keep taking away the new element until after the campaign is over. I spent that whole damn storyline thinking, "OK, I must have Strand unlocked after that mission!" but then having it taken away from me. Adding a bunch of frustration to the disappointment, great plan!
    For the record while it takes a while to unlock all the alternative abilities and perks, you unlock the new subclass with a functional build at the end of the first mission.

Final Shape needs to be at least as good as Forsaken or Rise of Iron or D2 is pretty much finished. With all that's happened with Bungie and their publishers over the past year, everyone's lost faith, and only delivering will count. Of course, since Bungie's policy is "Don't overdeliver," I'm trying not to get my hopes up.
    Maybe not Forsaken, but definitely better than Rise of Iron. Comparable to Witch Queen, I'd say.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

That was a response to what I said about Multiversus. You have to log in every day of the 11-day relaunch event to get the Superman skin. Yes, it's a free skin, but it also makes it obvious that Multiversus is the epitome of a live service game: You have to give it 100% of your free time, attention and money or you miss out. Don't feel like playing today? Too bad, you're required to do that or you permanently lose out. Unable to log in even though you are addicted to the game? Too bad, you should have made sure your internet never goes out if you're going to play Multiversus.

Good thing there are currently several hundred live service games in development, I'm sure they'll all find enough players to sustain them...
    It's a real shame. The game is fun, but the ridiculous monetization and refusal to fix the worst parts of the gameplay (the MASSIVE input buffer, primarily) are going to kill this game. The only question is how fast.

I have been fascinated by the Multiversus relaunch because it's like a textbook of how NOT to launch a game. It is in almost every way worse than the beta.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Colossus in the Playground

Once again proving that Deep Rock Galactic is the only good lifeservice game.

All seasonal content that was ever added is still available to unlock. For free, only through playing. And with the new season five, you can now choose to switch content from the previous four seasons on or off depending on what you like.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

23. - Top - End - #143
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
    Maybe not Forsaken, but definitely better than Rise of Iron. Comparable to Witch Queen, I'd say.
    I'd say TTK is a good reference point here, depending on whether or not they do anything interesting with Failsafe.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

24. - Top - End - #144
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    I'd say TTK is a good reference point here, depending on whether or not they do anything interesting with Failsafe.
    The thing is that TTK and Forsaken both exist in a context where they were make or break expansions that radically overhauled the game to make it actually functional.

Final Shape was important to get right, but it's not a 'fix the game' sort of expansion. I know people who didn't like Vanilla D1 or D2 that got onboard with TTK and Forsaken, but if you didn't like Witch Queen you aren't going to like Final Shape and that's okay. It just needs to be a good campaign with some cool new toys to play with, and it is.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Y'all, I finally got into Fallout: New Vegas and am only now starting to see why people like it so much, especially the writing/worldbuilding/characters.

I played it once, many years ago, and I really only rushed through the "main" questline. Wandered around the casinos a little bit. Had some side missions here and there but I didn't get too invested -- I'd played Fallout 3 recently so it all felt a bit "samey" and I was kind of bored with the aesthetic. I'd already heard people talk about how this game was so much better than F3, especially in quality of writing, and I supposed they just meant it was nice to have some nuance instead of the railroad plot of 3. But I didn't really get into New Vegas on that first playthrough.

This time, I've been meandering about doing lots of little quests. And the real strength of F:NV seems to me to be that they put effort into every conversation and dialogue tree. There's incredibly specific dialogue for each path a quest could take, and so many characters feel unique in tiny ways. I love how the little pockets of humanity all have their own dramas and quirks, and so many of these minor NPCs have genuinely human goals and personalities. Little idiosyncrasies that take effort to write into the dialogue to make them feel special. Fallout 3's NPCs and storyline writing feels like cliched cartoon characters in comparison.

I wound up becoming really favored by the NCR just because those were the quests that sounded the most interesting to me, and it was fun to restore hope to a demoralized troop of soldiers who are on their last legs in a nasty conflict. Also because **** the Legion, bunch of boorish LARPing slaver sociopaths And I wandered by Camp Golf at one point and talked to Chief Hanlon out on the balcony, and he had this beautiful little monologue about how it's felt for him to fight this war and how wonderful he finds it that I chose to help everyone. I almost teared up. It was just genuinely heartwarming and made me realize how invested I was in New Vegas.

Great game. A plus plus. I would love to have more than six songs on the radio on infinite loop, but I suppose you can win 'em all -- especially in Vegas

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

You'll want to snag CONELRAD as a mod then. It adds a bunch of songs and some lore-friendly pre-war announcements.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I tried Multiversus two years ago when it went into its open beta, and even then its daily quests, general grind to unlock characters, and the stupid price tags they put on cosmetics turned me off pretty fast despite enjoying the gameplay. Its relaunch needed to get some fairly positive word-of-mouth about the f2p elements getting better to even get me to try it again; instead, it's been the reverse, and worse. Suffice to say I don't see myself playing it again, which is a shame because I do like the concept and did enjoy the core combat for a while there.

And yeah, the number of live service games being made is clearly folly, as certain companies have been finding out. (Square-Enix has released and killed what, a half-dozen in the last few years alone? And we're waiting on the inevitable death of another of theirs, Foamstars, right now.) Some day the folks who salivate over how much money the most successful onea can print will need to realize there's only so many that can possibly be that successful, and that number isn't very high since they all demand so much of their players' time.

It's a real shame. The game is fun, but the ridiculous monetization and refusal to fix the worst parts of the gameplay (the MASSIVE input buffer, primarily) are going to kill this game. The only question is how fast.

I have been fascinated by the Multiversus relaunch because it's like a textbook of how NOT to launch a game. It is in almost every way worse than the beta.
    The most baffling thing to me is the features from the beta that were reportedly missing from the relaunch, like being able to try characters you haven't unlocked in training mode (an extremely valuable feature I wish all fighting games would adopt for their DLC...), setting your preferences for team colors, and swapping the neutral/forward attacks so they match Smash Brothers' controls. Made even more baffling by the reason: apparently one of the big things they did during that nearly-a-year period the game was down was change engines, from UE4 to UE5. Which, considering everything I've ever heard is that engine swaps are a nightmare for game devs, just makes me go "why?!"
    Last edited by Zevox; 2024-06-10 at 01:19 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Barbarian in the Playground

The last time I played Destiny 2 I logged in and wandered around for a while trying to figure out where the content was and what I was supposed to be doing.

It has the "late stage MMO" problem (unless it's changed since then) that the content structure becomes massively complicated due to so much stuff being tacked on over time while relying on dedicated players who have been through the build-up. It's very unfriendly to returning players.

I'm on-board if there's a Destiny 3 in the pipeline, but just like WoW, it needs a good reset to be turned back into a coherent experience.

Not that Blizzard is even remotely capable of doing that with a WoW 2, but still...

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

The most baffling thing to me is the features from the beta that were reportedly missing from the relaunch, like being able to try characters you haven't unlocked in training mode (an extremely valuable feature I wish all fighting games would adopt for their DLC...), setting your preferences for team colors, and swapping the neutral/forward attacks so they match Smash Brothers' controls. Made even more baffling by the reason: apparently one of the big things they did during that nearly-a-year period the game was down was change engines, from UE4 to UE5. Which, considering everything I've ever heard is that engine swaps are a nightmare for game devs, just makes me go "why?!"
    Swapping from UE4 to UE5 makes a ton of sense. UE4 is on the verge of being sunset, and UE5 is actually a lot easier to develop for. I've played around with it a bunch myself and it's really intuitive and powerful. Like I've had people throw the "so what do you want them to do, just click a button and turn on physics for this projectile? Game development isn't that easy" at me sarcastically for a few newer Unreal games and I'm always glad to inform them that, yes, "Turn on physics" is just a checkbox in UE5.

However, doing so in ELEVEN MONTHS is complete insanity. It doesn't matter if you're making the same game in a new engine, implementation takes time. You're essentially remaking the game from scratch. So this is not a relaunch, this is a SECOND BETA for a DIFFERENT GAME.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2024-06-10 at 04:22 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

However, doing so in ELEVEN MONTHS is complete insanity. It doesn't matter if you're making the same game in a new engine, implementation takes time. You're essentially remaking the game from scratch. So this is not a relaunch, this is a SECOND BETA for a DIFFERENT GAME.
    Yeah, if it were just the engine swap, it would've been reasonable, if a bit ambitious. But they also wanted to address all the concerns from the beta; like the hypercrack-speed gameplay, lack of punishable movesets, inconsistent hitboxes, shoddy netcode, and character balance. Doing all that in under a year was complete lunacy.

And then they threw on top the horrible monetization and live-service elements. Let me be clear, that login event was one of five running concurrently. Two login campaigns, the Joker event to do special Joker missions, one to grind character levels, and a final event to do the new PvE content for Agent Smith and Matrix-themed unlocks. All of this on top of Daily/Weekly missions and a Battle Pass. This wasn't just live service garbage. This was a whole sewer system of player abuse.