New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: What Are You Playing 10: Ten Builds, Zero Progress

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    And I wandered by Camp Golf at one point and talked to Chief Hanlon out on the balcony, and he had this beautiful little monologue about how it's felt for him to fight this war and how wonderful he finds it that I chose to help everyone. I almost teared up. It was just genuinely heartwarming and made me realize how invested I was in New Vegas.
    do the changing radio codes quest and call me when you're about to complete it so I can have popcorn ready. I want to see how you thought it turned out
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

In an unexpected development, the game I've been super addicted to for the past week is Remnant: From the Ashes. It's an all-time favorite game of a good friend, and I'd totally forgotten I'd gotten it as a free game on Epic... We've been playing the entire campaign co-op for hours at a time. A quick summary of the game concept: Imagine a guns-based Soulslike set in the RIFTS tabletop game and designed to be fully co-op. With some roguelike elements.

If you can't actually imagine that, join the club.

Remnant's got an insane amount of replay value, thanks to also having roguelike elements. On any particular playthrough, you're likely to only encounter half of the possible zones that can appear in each world... and to add to that, most bosses can be defeated two different ways, and drop unique rewards for each method. Rerolling the adventures after you've beaten them and seeing what comes up the next time gets addictive.

I happen to have played Remnant 2 long before I tried the original, and just about all of the cool, unique features turned out to also be there in the original. I never imagined a game where you'd find entire skill trees as gameplay rewards until I saw it in action.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodSquirrel View Post
    I'm on-board if there's a Destiny 3 in the pipeline, but just like WoW, it needs a good reset to be turned back into a coherent experience.
    One thing that drives me nuts about D2 is that it repeated the worst design mistake I've ever seen an MMO make: Guild Wars 2's early days had the largest and fastest storyline updates in MMO history... however, back during its first season, those would only be active for a couple of months before being removed for the next plot development. So you could only see the quests that introduced the characters who were central members of the supporting cast for years if you were playing during a specific month ten years ago. (Worst of all, we got the coolest World Boss fight in the game's history as part of the Season 1 story, then the Twisted Marionette fight was removed after that section of story was done and not brought back for 7+ years...)

Destiny 2 removing entire expansion zones and storylines is much worse than that, and then top that off with each expac's seasonal content being removed when the next expac comes along... I've been there since the entire main story was accessible, but for anyone who wasn't, I can't even imagine how little sense it all makes now.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    However, doing so in ELEVEN MONTHS is complete insanity. It doesn't matter if you're making the same game in a new engine, implementation takes time. You're essentially remaking the game from scratch. So this is not a relaunch, this is a SECOND BETA for a DIFFERENT GAME.
    Yeah, that's about what I thought from what I'd heard before. Considering the game had, IIRC, already fallen on hard times before it went away, doing that instead of focusing on making it better with that year seems... ill-advised, let's say.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyOfOptimists View Post
    [...]shoddy netcode[...]
    The netcode is one thing I recall always seeming quite good in Multiversus? It was honestly fairly impressive, given no other platform fighter ran that well online at that point*. Although I did only play the game 1v1; I could see 2v2 (and FFA) being harder to make run well. Making fighting games run well online has taken a long time even just connecting two people at a time, much less four.

*Well, that I've played, anyway, there's some indie ones out there that I haven't.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2024-06-10 at 06:01 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Y

The netcode is one thing I recall always seeming quite good in Multiversus? It was honestly fairly impressive, given no other platform fighter ran that well online at that point*. Although I did only play the game 1v1; I could see 2v2 (and FFA) being harder to make run well. Making fighting games run well online has taken a long time even just connecting two people at a time, much less four.

*Well, that I've played, anyway, there's some indie ones out there that I haven't.
    It was REALLY BAD by the end. Like "characters teleporting around the screen" bad. I stopped playing when, on multiple occasions, I'd get knocked off the screen and NOTHING would allow me to get up; jumping gained a bit of height, then lost and equal and inverse amount so jumping essentially just made you die faster if you went off the stage.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVid View Post
    Destiny 2 removing entire expansion zones and storylines is much worse than that, and then top that off with each expac's seasonal content being removed when the next expac comes along... I've been there since the entire main story was accessible, but for anyone who wasn't, I can't even imagine how little sense it all makes now.
    It is insane how much massive status quo breaking stuff has happened in Seasons that will just go completely unexplained to a returning player who missed that year of content. Like if you missed the Beyond Light seasons, you just flat out did not see the introductions of a bunch of really important characters.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

It was REALLY BAD by the end. Like "characters teleporting around the screen" bad. I stopped playing when, on multiple occasions, I'd get knocked off the screen and NOTHING would allow me to get up; jumping gained a bit of height, then lost and equal and inverse amount so jumping essentially just made you die faster if you went off the stage.
    Hm, well, "teleporting around the screen" is what it will look like when you've got a particularly bad connection with rollback netcode. Could be it was, at least in part, suffering from the significant decline in player base making it harder to match people with others who have good connections. Though I really don't know what could be up with the jumping thing; sounds less like netcode and more like some kind of bug to me at first glance, but obviously I can't say for sure.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyOfOptimists View Post
    And then they threw on top the horrible monetization and live-service elements. Let me be clear, that login event was one of five running concurrently. Two login campaigns, the Joker event to do special Joker missions, one to grind character levels, and a final event to do the new PvE content for Agent Smith and Matrix-themed unlocks. All of this on top of Daily/Weekly missions and a Battle Pass. This wasn't just live service garbage. This was a whole sewer system of player abuse.
    Five is a bit high, but not crazy for live service. Last month World of Warships had the daily login track (resets by calendar month,) the battle pass (resets every 5 week patch with a new theme, has free and paid tracks,) the Dockyard (basically another battle pass where you grind out missions for the USS Fomo ship until your soul withers and dies,) and the second month of early access for a new tech line (i.e. pay now for ships that are free later.) This isn't even counting the occasional short mission chain for <insert nation> Navy Day or a battle anniversary or what have you. It's a bit less now, just the tail end of the Dockyard, this patch's battle pass (weeb stuff, easy to ignore unless you want your 50,000 ton battleship to also be a definitely 18 year old school girl with a busom best measured in gallons) and the actually good and also free 80th anniversary of D-Day missions.

Point being, free to play just is that way. Like, the monetization really is the dominant aspect of the title. The actual game is just a sort of angler fish lure to get you engaged with the gaping maw of needle sharp teeth monetization.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Only bad free to plays are that way. That is mobile gatcha game tier FOMO baiting.

I play a lot of F2P games. Usually there's like two ongoing events at a time. Usually for recent games it's the Battlepass (long term, like 60-90 days) and then a cycling seasonal event that lasts between two weeks to a month.

In the 2 weeks since launch, Multiversus launched with: a Batlepass, a login event, the horrible Rifts grinding event to unlock Agent Smith (still impossible to complete).

And then they've launched like 4 other short-term events that last a few days tgo a week and overlap in weird ways and nobody knows when they start or end and they all just require you to grind to complete and at the end of the day they give NOTHING worthwhile. I ignore anything that doesn't say "Fighter Currency" on it because that's the main thing they're stingy with and it is the only currency actually worth a damn.

If I wanted to grind for cosmetics I'd go play a game that respected my time better lol.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Firbolg in the Playground

this has to be some kind of social experiment. Multiversus is doing every single wrong thing in the book.

But yes D2 lore is squirrlier than an acorn farm if you miss anything. Having missed Forsaken totally and the beyond light seasons it's... oh wow my favorite faction turned space racist after my favorite NPC turned good (Again? he was evil?). Rasputin was actually a cool dude then he died after being killed by the religious fundamentalist I had previously turned into an ice cube.

Cayde had a line in a side-mission, "nobody has explained it to me in a way that doesn't make me mad".
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

10. - Top - End - #160
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Hm, well, "teleporting around the screen" is what it will look like when you've got a particularly bad connection with rollback netcode. Could be it was, at least in part, suffering from the significant decline in player base making it harder to match people with others who have good connections. Though I really don't know what could be up with the jumping thing; sounds less like netcode and more like some kind of bug to me at first glance, but obviously I can't say for sure.
    There's a good chance it was bugs. They had to do a major rework on hitboxes in the game, as when it first launched every character was using a mostly static capsule that fit around their standing model. It worked... okay, until you had characters like Superman using his move that turns him completely horizontal. Then it certainly looked like your fists were clipping into his head, but his hitbox was still a ways back.

Now, hitboxes really shouldn't have much impact on netcode, but I've worked in game dev enough (and software even longer) to know that reworking a core system that late is going to be a hacked together mess. I'd buy that it taxed the hell out of the netcode somehow. Multiversus had way more players than most every other fighting game even in its declining weeks when the netcode issues started, so I don't think it was connection related. It seemed to be an ongoing problem they were aware of, since they mentioned it in several patches.

The worst part of this relaunch is that there is a genuinely good platform fighter somewhere in Multiversus. It has some very creative characters, the gameplay has some rough edges but is fun when it gets going, and I think slowing the game down a bit was a good call. WB is doing their all to strangle it in the crib, though.
    Last edited by ArmyOfOptimists; 2024-06-10 at 09:48 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

I play a lot of F2P games. Usually there's like two ongoing events at a time. Usually for recent games it's the Battlepass
    Speaking of F2P games and Battlepasses...

I have a friend group that insists on playing Fortnite. It's a terrible solo experience, but a very fun "wacky shenanigans" game if you have good fun-first group dynamics. Playing with people who are trying to win is an exercise in insanity tho.

The current season is all vehicle-themed, so everyone is constantly driving around the map and blowing things up and crashing through buildings and into other teams. Enemy players can get into your car without you noticing. Some of the best and most chaotic play I've experienced on this game. Good, clean, stupid fun.
    Last edited by Ionathus; 2024-06-11 at 09:33 AM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

I've heard people are super mixed on the current season of Fortnite. It sounds a bit like the "no build" season where big fans of Fortnite hated it but newcomers loved it.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

I'm out of the house right now so I'm mostly playing on the Switch. Gave Super Mario Odyssey another go, I'm getting the hanger of it but feeling the pain of handheld mode cutting off a handful of moves.

Probably going to do a bit of Link's Ladybits' Awakening tomorrow. At least that's fully functional ax a handheld.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Bloodstained ROTN just added another dlc addon. This time you can play as Dominique. And its another classic mode.
    Well the first classic mode they did I think was REALLY badly done. (Started out fine then got really unfun) This one is Castlevania 2 Simon's quest but with Dominique (I actually enjoyed playing that one when I tried it not that long ago.) So I may really like this one.

Good to see Bloodstained continue to get new content.
    Last edited by WritersBlock; 2024-06-12 at 02:38 AM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

I've heard people are super mixed on the current season of Fortnite. It sounds a bit like the "no build" season where big fans of Fortnite hated it but newcomers loved it.
    That certainly makes sense to me. I think the focus on powerful cars this season has made it more chaotic and lowered the skill floor, meaning people can last longer if they just get in a car and drive around, blowing things up. It's hard to catch up and stop them if they're committed to surviving.

Personally I'm not complaining. In my experience Fortnite has had a real problem with matching skill levels: you know how playing tennis against someone much better than you is basically not even a game, just a slaughter? That's how it feels when you go up against someone in Fortnite who REALLY knows what they're doing. I'm okay dying half the time (okay, that's not true, but I'd settle for 1/3 of the time), but frequently you'll ask yourself "what is this person DOING in this lobby?" based on their insane skill level.

The "No Build" thing was the same, yeah. My group switched to no build and never looked back. Most of the playerbase did the same: I think No Build is played at a 3:1 ratio to Build these days. The people who are good at building are seriously on another plane of existence, and it's not fun to fight them. People want to have fun playing games so it's not surprising that the building meta is driving people away.
    Last edited by Ionathus; 2024-06-12 at 09:50 AM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Finished up Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown - well, mostly, there's some challenges that unlocked late in the game that I've saved for post-game. But yeah, it is a damn good game. Love the combat, the exploration and overall mobility and ability options you get, and damn are they creative with some of those at times. I on more than one occasion ran into something that left me thinking "I'll need to come back here later, I clearly don't have the ability to pass this [obstacle/puzzle] right now," only to later find that I totally could have passed it, it just required a more creative use of an ability I already had than I'd thought of. And they create some quite fun platforming challenges that are genuinely quite challenging out of the abilities you get once you have enough of them, too.

Honestly, I found myself thinking while playing it that it might well be my favorite Metroidvania platformer that I've ever played - not something I've ever really though of before. But after finishing it now, well, thinking through other ones I've played, its main competition for that title would be Symphony of the Night, Hollow Knight, and maybe Metroid Dread. And I think I can comfortably say I do like it better than any of those, even, so yeah, this probably is my favorite game of its kind. Very well done on the developers' part - and if it's the last Ubisoft game I ever play, at least it's a damn good one for them to go out on.

Think about the game also made me realize something about my personal preferences as I was playing it. Arguably, Metroidvania games are the "open world" version of platformers in terms of design - big sprawling map, emphasis on exploration, lots of side-content, etc. Yet I very much like those, while largely disliking 3D open-world games, or at times liking them in spite of that design. Granted, modern 3D open-world games tend to be much bigger and take much more time to complete than any Metroidvania game, but I don't think that's the only reason there's a difference for me. I think a big part of it is the genres themselves, and how I view them. Platformers, by their nature, are about movement and traversal of the world first and foremost. Even when they've got a combat system that's a major element of the game, like Prince of Persia, it's still the secondary form the gameplay takes, and in many cases it's much less important to the game than that (i.e. Mario literally just jumping on all of his enemies). That lends itself pretty naturally to putting a focus on exploration for me - and this also fits with me enjoying exploration in 3D collectathon platformers, ala my beloved Banjo games. But the main genres that get the modern open-world design are RPGs and action-adventure games, and in those cases the main elements that I'm looking for out of them are the story and combat, maybe some puzzles. Some exploration can be desirable (more so in action-adventure, at least for me), but it's not something I'm looking to have be anywhere near as prominent in those genres as their other gameplay elements. And since it doesn't feel like the natural extension of what I'm looking for when focused on like it does in platformers, trying to emphasize that element via open-world design just ends up feeling bad to me - you're turning the game into something I wasn't looking for it to be, and it doesn't even fit well with what I was looking for.

I don't know if that's interesting to anyone else, but my enjoying exploration in some games but not others (especially modern open-world games) is something I've wondered about in the past, so it was very nice to get a bit of an epiphany about at least, I think, a significant part of the reason I feel that way.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Trying out an XCOM clone by the name of Capes, which is bashed on Steam for being too... Into the Breachy?

It's a pretty servicable superheroey tactics game. It's not excellent, yeah, okay, but the reviews there are something else all right.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

So Diablo 4 has a lot more going on than it seemed at first. There are quite a few different end game things to do, and at least at this point they all seem viable.
    The paragon path I didn't even realize had multiple pages until I filled up the first, not knowing the gate led to a new page. So I get to go back and re-allocate a lot of points now.

I'm not sure if it's good or bad, but I've made a few trips to the world events like legion incursions, world bosses, and things like that. There have always been enough players, but not more than like 6-8 so not super crowded, that it is easy, with a few big AOEs that need to be avoided to survive being about all there was to worry about.

One thing I don't quite get in a lot of games, D4 just reminded me of it by having to go to the shop for the anniversary rewards, why are cosmetics to expensive? Half the price of the game when new to get a single outfit for a single class? I mostly think of cosmetics being $1-2, I've even happily given some FTP games a few bucks here and there for minor things like storage or minor items. I'm never going to pay that much. I wonder if they've actually done testing or it's just guesswork. Does "the people that will give money will give a lot for very little" come out a lot ahead of "the people that will throw a few bucks at something but aren't going to spend a lot on any given thing." I suppose getting the first extra dollar is a lot harder than getting the 100th.

19. - Top - End - #169

I've picked up Warhammer 40.000: Rogue Trader. I like the WH40k universe and flying around the Koronus Expanse as a rogue trader, building out my trade empire, sometimes murdering heretics/rebels, unveiling mysteries and committing heresy (the heresy is imporant! Death to the corpse Emperor!) does sound like fun, but the combat system is... complicated. It comes with this whole, complex TRPG ruleset with all kinds of abilities, effects, archetypes etc. and I'm just overwhelmed by it. I'm trying to pick abilities that seem to go along with what my characters can do, but honestly I don't know what I'm doing. I guess I'll just scale the difficulty down or maybe look for a build guide for guidance on how to play my party.

I've also been playing Ion Fury on the side to get some simple, straightforward shooter action. I'd say it's alright. Not bad, but it doesn't really stand out either. It's kind of bland. The enemies, the villain, the weapons, the setting, none of it makes it feel unique. Well, I guess you could say it's uniquely bland. Again, not bad and it does scratch my no nonsense shooter itch, but it's a little meh.

20. - Top - End - #170

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Trying out an XCOM clone by the name of Capes, which is bashed on Steam for being too... Into the Breachy?
    It's being bashed for being too similar to a great game?

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    I've picked up Warhammer 40.000: Rogue Trader. I like the WH40k universe and flying around the Koronus Expanse as a rogue trader, building out my trade empire, sometimes murdering heretics/rebels, unveiling mysteries and committing heresy (the heresy is imporant! Death to the corpse Emperor!) does sound like fun, but the combat system is... complicated. It comes with this whole, complex TRPG ruleset with all kinds of abilities, effects, archetypes etc. and I'm just overwhelmed by it. I'm trying to pick abilities that seem to go along with what my characters can do, but honestly I don't know what I'm doing. I guess I'll just scale the difficulty down or maybe look for a build guide for guidance on how to play my party.
    Rogue Trader, especially early on, has too much levelling. You can generally get by via just building characters to a theme and making sure you're fielding a variety of builds.

Ablelard is built more as a tank than a damage dealer. Built right he can lock down enemies with opportunity attacks while absorbing a lot of damage with temporary wounds and high Parry. You can also build him to dish out damage, but if you go for two handed weapons he'll do that anyway (personally I gave him two chainswords).

I've mostly got but on instinct, including mopping the floor with the Act 1 boss, but I've also not actually got to Act 3 yet due to eyesight issues.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    One thing I don't quite get in a lot of games, D4 just reminded me of it by having to go to the shop for the anniversary rewards, why are cosmetics to expensive? Half the price of the game when new to get a single outfit for a single class?
    I agree with you, and the only explanation I can see is simply that people are dumb enough to buy them in enough quantity that the ones setting those prices think it makes sense.

Hell, I look at Granblue Rising setting the price of its costumes at $5 and think that's the high edge of what I'd pay for one, and only when it's one I really like and know for sure I'll use a lot; if they were $1-2 each I'd probably have bought one or two, even though thus far they're all for characters I rarely play. Then I remember Multiversus having costumes whose price (when converted from its stupid in-game currency to real money) was $15-20 and shudder. And that was during its initial open beta, I don't know if they upped those prices after its recent return.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2024-06-14 at 02:53 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
    It's being bashed for being too similar to a great game?
    It is bizarre. As far as I can tell, the reviewers wanted XCOM but with superheroes, and when they didn't get that, they downvoted the game. Which is honestly ridiculous, because there was a free demo that very clearly showed it was not XCOM. Capes is just "here's a scenario, you figure it out" which in the tutorials, sure, is a small scenario with fairly straightforward "solutions" - which drove the reviewers to claim it was just "a puzzle with a predetermined solution". In fact, once you get going, the scenarios are too complex to be predictable - you pick 4 heroes to take to the mission (out of 8, IIRC), and every mission*, AFAICT, can be approached with any combination of heroes. Most missions are delightfully chaotic, where you're just holding on barely, desperately trying to accomplish an objective while holding off waves of enemies; one in particular where you have to destroy a mind-control antenna was so much fun.

There are also optional objectives, and a special reward for completing all of them at once (you can replay missions to go for that), and that also was somehow termed "bad" by the reviewers. FWIW, I have enjoyed it immensely.

I just went to the steam guides and used the character guide there; there is just too much risk of picking a level up that does nothing. Heck, even with the guide, I spent half the game using an ability that increased my damage in "area attacks" only to discover that my weapon was doing "multiattack in an area" instead and that didn't count. That game desperately needs better indicators on the weapons of what kind of attacks they do.

The problem with using the guide, though, is that it was too good a guide - one of my characters was trivially gunning down every enemy in the first round of combat. Even the bosses. Loads of fun, but it did rather remove all difficulty from combat.

Grey Wolf

*Some do have a "main character" you must take, as you can imagine. There are even a couple of solo missions - the one involving not-Xavier and not-Wolverine was about the only one I didn't really enjoy, because it was a bit of a pileup to demonstrate just how nigh-unkillable not-Wolverine is.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2024-06-14 at 03:51 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I just went to the steam guides and used the character guide there; there is just too much risk of picking a level up that does nothing. Heck, even with the guide, I spent half the game using an ability that increased my damage in "area attacks" only to discover that my weapon was doing "multiattack in an area" instead and that didn't count. That game desperately needs better indicators on the weapons of what kind of attacks they do.
    You can respec on your ship up to three times for free per character, and there's an available mod if you want it free forever. You also get a ton of picks, so at worst you'll get abilities in a suboptimal order. By level 20ish, I was already running out of meaningful things to take and diving into the generic skill and stat upgrades. It's a lot of reading and doesn't have the familiarity of an established system like Pathfinder, but it's way more lenient on choices.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Playing Wrath of the Righteous with the latest DLC out. In the spirit of the thread title, I found a new build for Seelah I think I'm going to adore.

Seelah is a paladin. One of the choices paladins make, that determines their build, is they get a mount, which can come from a limited number of types of animal companions - specifically, usually horse, or riding dog if you're small. But. If you have a different animal companion, you can use your paladin levels to level up that companion instead of getting another new one. Previously I tried using Beast Rider Cavalier as a dip - you get a free teamwork feat, you get some limited use out of Mark, and because it's a Beast Rider, you can choose any type of animal companion as your companion. But they nerfed my favorite animal companion (and rightly so, it was overpowered) from having 4 claws and a bite to only two claws and a bite (they gave it some new grapple mechanics but eww, grappling). But the DLC dropped a new archetype for Ranger called Sable Company Marine, and that archetype gets a Griffin as an animal companion, and Griffins are amazing. They only start with one attack, but they eventually get 3, same as the best any animal companion can get. They get Flying Attack, which gives you all the benefits of a charge, without having to worry about terrain or obstacles (the main reasons NOT to charge in WotR). They get pounce. And they get Heavy Landing at level 7, which gives them a free trip attempt with a hefty bonus against every enemy they land next to when they do Flying Attack, their uber charge. Unfortunately, Greater Trip in WotR requires Combat Expertise which requires Int 13, which puts it out of range for animal companions, so there's no way to follow up these trips with more attacks, but getting free trips is nothing to sneeze at, either.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Barbarian in the Playground

Rogue Trader was easily GotY for me, and having a really good, complex combat system that I could really sink my teeth into was part of it. The difficulty settings are definitely a "How optimized is your build?" question, because the difference between "poorly optimized", "reasonably optimized", and "broken" is quite big.

In general: the combat is momentum-based, where different actions/effects continue to stack bonuses as the fight goes on. This means that you generally want to get as many abilities that grant extra actions/turns as possible so that you get things moving fast. You also want to pick a single main damage dealer and have the other characters support that character as much as possible. If you can get your momentum high enough fast enough, then you can take your heroic actions, which ramp things up even further.

I'd agree that the system probably could use a slight flattening of levels and, more importantly, a clearer indication of what the dependency chains are. In fact, I'd argue that systems like either Rogue Trader or Owlcat's Pathfinder games really need to let you "plan" your build by selecting several levels of future upgrades at once. Or, hell, just include a sandbox builder mode that lets you build a max-level character outside of the game so you can explore your options in a easier way.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

The third Atelier Ryza game and the fairy tail game have outfit sets for over 30 DOLLARS EACH!

Is it any wonder I gave those games a pass?...

And yes, Ion Fury is incredibly generic. (The less said about the sequel, Phantom Fury, the better) I just hunt down and play some custom Doom wads when I want a fps fix. (I love the Gzdoom sourceport) Found a really cool robocop one, and one based on an old nes game called Arkista's ring even found a couple of Dr. Chaos based ones.

I do really want to check out Selaco sometime (Fps on steam using GZdoom engine) and that Mullet Madjack one looks cool too.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    It is bizarre. As far as I can tell, the reviewers wanted XCOM but with superheroes, and when they didn't get that, they downvoted the game. Which is honestly ridiculous, because there was a free demo that very clearly showed it was not XCOM. Capes is just "here's a scenario, you figure it out" which in the tutorials, sure, is a small scenario with fairly straightforward "solutions" - which drove the reviewers to claim it was just "a puzzle with a predetermined solution". In fact, once you get going, the scenarios are too complex to be predictable - you pick 4 heroes to take to the mission (out of 8, IIRC), and every mission*, AFAICT, can be approached with any combination of heroes. Most missions are delightfully chaotic, where you're just holding on barely, desperately trying to accomplish an objective while holding off waves of enemies; one in particular where you have to destroy a mind-control antenna was so much fun.

There are also optional objectives, and a special reward for completing all of them at once (you can replay missions to go for that), and that also was somehow termed "bad" by the reviewers. FWIW, I have enjoyed it immensely.
    I nearly fell into the "superhero XCOM" trap, so I get it. If you look at a short preview of the game, it looks like superhero XCOM, and there are plenty of people who don't want to fuss with demos (I'm one of them). I was, however, cautious enough with an unknown dev to look over the reviews carefully and decide it wasn't the game for me. It is unfair to the dev to have the game downvoted for players not getting what they expected, but to quote Chris Rock "I don't agree...but I understand."

On cosmetics being incredibly expensive: Yes, it's priced that way for a reason. TCGs and other games with lots of collectibles rely on "whales" to get something like 90% of their revenue stream. If only a fraction of a percent of players buy a skin, but that skin is extremely expensive, it is still more profitable to release the skin that way than to release it for $1.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

WotR, turns out that he new Slayer archetype requires an Evil alignment.

That's very annoying, as I was planning on doing an Azata run with it (I will do Care Bear Blade one way or another). Toybox theoretically allows me to ignore the restriction while levelling, but working my way there from CE is still annoying.

Show

30. - Top - End - #180
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Makes sense. Pathfinder's stuck to their Always Good/Evil alignments more than DnD. As I recall, Paizo Word of God is that undead are always Evil and the few non-Evil ones that slip in are considered misprints to be disregarded.