New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1303 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by elecampane View Post
    If only they had a friendly floating eyeball that can use disintegrate ray (also known as #8) at will
    The dragon's name is Calder, not Will.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gbaji View Post
    I actually got the main question not really being "does the feat have limited uses?", but "if the feat does have limited uses, would Roy know this, and if so, how?". That was also based on the idea that when practicing the move, one presumably isn't actually interrupting a spell being cast, and thus would not consume a use of the feat (again, if it does have X/day uses). That's what the comment about Roy saying "It... it worked!" was about. He'd literally never actually used it to disrupt a spell prior to that point (well, and really hadn't yet then either). So... unless it comes with an instruction manual, how would someone "in game" know this?
    Part of what makes the dream sequence weird for me is the implication that Roy was somewhat surprised that the maneuver worked... that he'd never used it for real previously. It's tactically unsound to haul out an untested move in a big fight, where its failure would have terrible consequences. Roy ought to have been practising the move against Durkon, in some kind of combat work-out. (Do D&D fighters do fighter practise? All of the SCA fighters I know do, to keep in shape and to keep their skills up. Real-world fighters gain the equivalent of XP from their practise sessions, but I'm assuming that D&D fighters don't.)

Roy used the maneuver successfully, for real, only a short time after the phantasm trap. I'd been thinking that he hadn't mastered it, in practise with Durkon, prior to the dream sequence, then did more training and figured it out before using it for real. But that can't be the case.
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2024-06-11 at 11:45 AM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    Roy used the maneuver successfully, for real, only a short time after the phantasm trap.
    Did he? Damage can disrupt casting (eg panel 2) generally, and there's nothing specific in 928 to indicate it's the maneuver.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Part of what makes the dream sequence weird for me is the implication that Roy was somewhat surprised that the maneuver worked... that he'd never used it for real previously. It's tactically unsound to haul out an untested move in a big fight, where its failure would have terrible consequences. Roy ought to have been practising the move against Durkon, in some kind of combat work-out. (Do D&D fighters do fighter practise? All of the SCA fighters I know do, to keep in shape and to keep their skills up. Real-world fighters gain the equivalent of XP from their practise sessions, but I'm assuming that D&D fighters don't.)
    Yeah. It is strange that he never seems to have actually practiced with it against an actual spellcaster. Unfortunately, this is just one of those "game mechanics trump in-game realism" things. Characters gain a level and then just magically gain whatever new abilities those levels provide. If it's a feat, they go from "have zero chance to do this" to "I can do this as well as I ever will be able to, and know every detail about how it works".

I'd been thinking that he hadn't mastered it, in practise with Durkon, prior to the dream sequence, then did more training and figured it out before using it for real. But that can't be the case.
    The rules assume that this is the case, that the character has actually been practicing whatever new "thing" they gain along the way (see Elan's conversation with V about this here). And we would normally assume this, and perhaps could assume this with Roy. There was presumably some time period between when Roy was resurrected and when he gained his next level. So there should have been time for him to have been "practicing" the move he vaguely remembered his grandfather showing him in the afterlife until he regained his lost level and could take it as a feat. It's possible that he did actually practice it, but clearly not with Durkon. Durkon comments that he "wasn't sure it would be effective against divine magic", which suggests that he knew about the feat that Roy had, but that he and Roy had never actually tested it out.

Which seems somewhat odd. Roy was practicing this move, talked about it (at least to Durkon), but never actually practiced using it? Or maybe he did, but only with V? I would have thought Durkon would want to practice it with Roy, if for no other reason that to know for sure whether it would work against divine magic ahead of a potential fight with Roy. Unless maybe the feat was taken before Durkon's vampirization and Roy had practiced with it before then? Dunno. Timing is really tricky for that to have been the case though, so maybe we just go with "he never actually practiced using it with an actual spellcaster".

Which puts us back to "that's strange". How do you practice using a combat move that requires timing your strike to the spell energy building up to whatever, without maybe having a spellcaster to assist with learning when that is? It's kinda like learning how to shoot more accurately by doing target practice, but without any actual targets ("I'm quite certain that shot would have been closer to where I would have been aiming than the last ones, so I must be getting better!"). I'm stil pretty firmly in the "it doesn't have per-day uses" camp, so that's not really as much of an issue IMO. And I even get the reason for Durkon and Roy not testing this (it allowed for Durkon and Roy's fight to show the feat in use. In front of specators even). And in a fun twist, it's kind of Rich using the ambiguity and oddness of the rules to his benefit storytelling wise. It's "assumed you practiced", but apparently that assumed past practice doesn't involve actual practice that other people (like Durkon) would have first hand experience with. So... evil vamp kept in the dark due to odd rules loopholes. Foiled again!

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by gbaji
    Which puts us back to "that's strange". How do you practice using a combat move that requires timing your strike to the spell energy building up to whatever, without maybe having a spellcaster to assist with learning when that is? It's kinda like learning how to shoot more accurately by doing target practice, but without any actual targets ("I'm quite certain that shot would have been closer to where I would have been aiming than the last ones, so I must be getting better!"). I'm stil pretty firmly in the "it doesn't have per-day uses" camp, so that's not really as much of an issue IMO. And I even get the reason for Durkon and Roy not testing this (it allowed for Durkon and Roy's fight to show the feat in use. In front of specators even). And in a fun twist, it's kind of Rich using the ambiguity and oddness of the rules to his benefit storytelling wise. It's "assumed you practiced", but apparently that assumed past practice doesn't involve actual practice that other people (like Durkon) would have first hand experience with. So... evil vamp kept in the dark due to odd rules loopholes. Foiled again!
    A missed opportunity , in my view. Roy has a sister who is a spell caster and they could have perfected the feat together; it would have been a neat bonding and character-building moment. Ah well.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

"As for the rest, I'd like to take a moment to compliment your dedication to rational discussion. You are a gentleperson and a scholar, and I salute you."
    -- DaedalusMkV

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I retroactively assume that Roy practiced with Vaarsuvius along the way and the reason we never saw it on panel was that he didn't. But I retroactively assume he did.

7. - Top - End - #217

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    I retroactively assume that Roy practiced with Vaarsuvius along the way and the reason we never saw it on panel was that he didn't. But I retroactively assume he did.
    Thor help us, please don't say we're going to get a Royanalicus comic... XD
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

8. - Top - End - #218

"I'm quite certain that shot would have been closer to where I would have been aiming than the last ones, so I must be getting better!"
    "I'm glad I can just pull my arrows out of thin air, rather than having to collect them between rounds of practise!"

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Considering that the entire Order saw Xykon riding a zombie dragon during the Battle of Azure City, I find it very unlikely they'll leave Calder's corpse behind for him to reanimate.
    Correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    It is difficult to eliminate an entire dragon corpse except with Disintegrate. Will V want to burn that spell slot just on the off chance Xykon might come through this way (which is not on the path to the Gate)?
    "Say Disintegrate one more time, Vaarsuvius. For me."
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

10. - Top - End - #220
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Does Roy know, in advance of using the maneuver N times, that he'll be able to use it that many times on that occasion? Does he know if there's a limit of, say, 5 uses per day if he hasn't ever tried a 6th time and had it not work because of the limit? Can he be confident, going into his first combat where he uses the maneuver, that he can pull it off as many times as he wants, or should he have some concern about conserving it for countering really bad enemy magic? He presumably will have been practising the physical moves, but it doesn't look like he's been trying it out in some kind of combat practise with Durkon where the latter has been using spells and Roy has been trying to disrupt them.
    That's probably because it requires Durkon to actually use a spell slot trying to cast. and Roy to actually try to hurt him with a sword. It's only been a few days max since Durkon became human again and Roy has had much of a chance to try that. All of those days involved the possibility of violence and they wouldn't want to be down 5 (10? More?) Spell slots, hit points, the feats themselves, experimenting. Not to mention physically splitting open the skin muscle and bone of your friend so you can find out how something works is generally something people don't do.

As for leaving Calder's corpse behind, and the likelihood of Team Evil finding it, Team Evil isnt on the path to the gate, They are on a brute force check of all doors. They are doing it faster now, but they are still just wandering methodically. The chance of them finding it is pretty good, but at least its not one in a million.
    Last edited by Taragorn; 2024-06-12 at 10:20 AM.

11. - Top - End - #221

Quote Originally Posted by Taragorn View Post
    That's probably because it requires Durkon to actually use a spell slot trying to cast. and Roy to actually try to hurt him with a sword. It's only been a few days max since Durkon became human again and Roy has had much of a chance to try that. All of those days involved the possibility of violence and they wouldn't want to be down 5 (10? More?) Spell slots, hit points, the feats themselves, experimenting. Not to mention physically splitting open the skin muscle and bone of your friend so you can find out how something works is generally something people don't do.
    Fighter training is usually done with blunted weapons, or simulated weapons (e.g. wooden swords). Fighters do it regularly, to train up and to stay in shape. One collects bruises but, if it's done properly, no significant damage. (It always seemed weird to me to see the SCA fighters bragging about their bruise collections. My best guess was that it was a kind of bragging: "look how tough I am!" rather than "I'm not that good at defensive fighting".) And Durkon could be using his 0-level slots for much of the training, not much of a loss.

EDIT:
    Yeah. It is strange that he never seems to have actually practiced with it against an actual spellcaster. Unfortunately, this is just one of those "game mechanics trump in-game realism" things. Characters gain a level and then just magically gain whatever new abilities those levels provide. If it's a feat, they go from "have zero chance to do this" to "I can do this as well as I ever will be able to, and know every detail about how it works".
    See also: Roy trying to figure out how to unlock the special abilities of his sword, knowing that there are powers, but not what they are nor how to activate them.
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2024-06-12 at 12:11 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222

(It always seemed weird to me to see the SCA fighters bragging about their bruise collections. My best guess was that it was a kind of bragging: "look how tough I am!" rather than "I'm not that good at defensive fighting".)
    You reminded me of Joe West's finest moment as an umpire: Flexing to show how tough he was, when he was too everything to get out of the way of a foul ball.
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

It's unclear when Roy actually took the feat. He imagines using it in the illusion, so I'm assuming he leveled up somewhere along "fighting slavers in the desert", "dealing with the worm", "finding the wrong gate address", "getting into a barfight", "gladiator training", "defeating thog" (my personal bet), "first fight/retreat with the linear guild", and "leading a successful ambush in the pyramid". Where exactly, is impossible to say, but it presuambly happened *before* Durkon became a vampire. So it's not about the time Durkon has been since becoming human (dwarf?) again, but how much time he had prior to Durkon becoming a vampire in the first place.

They didn't have a ton of time in there though. But here's the thing. Durkon later seems to know about the feat (at the godsmote), so he and Roy must have discussed it at some point. Again though, the timeline is tricky to try to nail down. But I would have guessed that they did have time on the airship to practice this if they wanted. Might have had time while travelling through the desert (before meeting Tarquin), as well. But yeah, if he leveled up in the Thog fight, there was not really any time prior to Durkon's vampification that Roy and any of the spellcasters could have practiced it. Afterwards, he could have practiced with either V or Durkon while on the airship though. But takes me back to "Durkon was a vamp then, and clearly would have benefited from knowing whether it worked against divine magic, so why not practice with Roy then to find out?".

I guess the storytelling reason was "but then we would not have a dramatic use of it while in the big Durkon/Roy fight, with the gallery watching them". So... either Roy never actually practiced it, or he practiced it with V, but not Durkon for some reason (which would also explain why Durkon would know it works against arcane magic, but not divine... I guess). We do know that they had a 10 day journey to go, 8 if the world depended on it, and could shave off two additional days if they got permission from the Elves to use their airspace. So... that still leaves us with a minimum of 6 days travel. Of course, then they hit a storm, and had to detour to the gnomes for repairs, and then detour again the the godsmoot, and then again to Firmament, so it's unclear how much actual time was expended where. But there should have been a day or three in there to practice this if he wanted to. I mean, Durkon had enough time to get Belkar to jump off the ship at least twice during all of this, so there was clearly a fair amount of idle time involved.

And, of course, they had two days travel from Firmament to Kraagar's gate, so Roy certainly had enough time after devamping Durkon to have practiced this enough to know if it had per-day uses, and if so, how many. But I was more going with the "what did he know about this prior to the Durkon/Roy fight at the godsmoot?" question.

As for leaving Calder's corpse behind, and the likelihood of Team Evil finding it, Team Evil isnt on the path to the gate, They are on a brute force check of all doors. They are doing it faster now, but they are still just wandering methodically. The chance of them finding it is pretty good, but at least its not one in a million.
    The chance of them finding it are zero, unless Calder flees into the dungeon, triggers a bunch of traps and is killed by something other than the Order.

If the Order kills Calder, they will disintegrate the body. There's literally zero reason not to, and they know exactly what Xykon would do with the corpse if it's found.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Fighter training is usually done with blunted weapons, or simulated weapons (e.g. wooden swords). Fighters do it regularly, to train up and to stay in shape. One collects bruises but, if it's done properly, no significant damage. (It always seemed weird to me to see the SCA fighters bragging about their bruise collections. My best guess was that it was a kind of bragging: "look how tough I am!" rather than "I'm not that good at defensive fighting".) And Durkon could be using his 0-level slots for much of the training, not much of a loss.

EDIT:

See also: Roy trying to figure out how to unlock the special abilities of his sword, knowing that there are powers, but not what they are nor how to activate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    You reminded me of Joe West's finest moment as an umpire: Flexing to show how tough he was, when he was too everything to get out of the way of a foul ball.
    Combat training of any kind involves bruises and bragging. The difference between training and the real thing is, training leaves you with a bruise you can brag about while swordfighting leaves you with the nickname "Lefty."

While it is not shown that Roy practiced, Horace did say that he would have to. It is unreasonable to think he did not. He had both Durkon and V to aid him, both of whom could benefit from the knowledge they would receive by doing so.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

I assumed he DIDN'T practice with Vaarsuvius because he didn't want to put a Greatsword through her chest. And the feat doesn't disrupt the spell unless it lands kind of thing.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

In panel 6 it appears that Roy avoids actually striking the dragon and instead 'hits' the magical field developing around Calder's hand. It does not appear that actually striking the caster is necessary for Spellsplinter to work.

17. - Top - End - #227

While it is not shown that Roy practiced, Horace did say that he would have to. It is unreasonable to think he did not. He had both Durkon and V to aid him, both of whom could benefit from the knowledge they would receive by doing so.
    And now I may have to back off on my concerns, because Roy apparently learned the maneuver just by attacking a dummy. Hmm.

In panel 6 it appears that Roy avoids actually striking the dragon and instead 'hits' the magical field developing around Calder's hand. It does not appear that actually striking the caster is necessary for Spellsplinter to work.
    That's a bit hard to be sure about. Xykon is definitely collecting damage in the dream sequence, for what it's worth. And it does look like Roy struck Miron, though as Peelee points out, it's not certain that Roy used the maneuver there.

18. - Top - End - #228

And now I may have to back off on my concerns, because Roy apparently learned the maneuver just by attacking a dummy. Hmm.
    Well, Xykon IS a sorceror. (^_~)
    Last edited by arimareiji; 2024-06-12 at 11:33 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

I was interpreting that as smacking the hand with his fancy twirl, but looking at it again I can see where your take would also be a valid interpretation.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

20. - Top - End - #230

Flumph

Xykon is a dummy.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

It is plausible that Spell Splinter attacks the spell (it's in the name, after all) but if the sword happens to impact the caster, well, frosting on the cake.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

22. - Top - End - #232

DwarfBarbarianGuy

If they ignore it, it will return.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post15476516

I know I'm stealing this from someone else. But it's SO FUNNY

Zweisteine quoting Razanir:

"I am a human sixtyfourthling! Fear my minimal halfling ancestry!"

Bagnold could be one sixty-fourth halfling.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

It's unclear when Roy actually took the feat. He imagines using it in the illusion, so I'm assuming he leveled up somewhere along "fighting slavers in the desert", "dealing with the worm", "finding the wrong gate address", "getting into a barfight", "gladiator training", "defeating thog" (my personal bet), "first fight/retreat with the linear guild", and "leading a successful ambush in the pyramid". Where exactly, is impossible to say, but it presuambly happened *before* Durkon became a vampire. So it's not about the time Durkon has been since becoming human (dwarf?) again, but how much time he had prior to Durkon becoming a vampire in the first place.

They didn't have a ton of time in there though. But here's the thing. Durkon later seems to know about the feat (at the godsmote), so he and Roy must have discussed it at some point. Again though, the timeline is tricky to try to nail down. But I would have guessed that they did have time on the airship to practice this if they wanted. Might have had time while travelling through the desert (before meeting Tarquin), as well. But yeah, if he leveled up in the Thog fight, there was not really any time prior to Durkon's vampification that Roy and any of the spellcasters could have practiced it. Afterwards, he could have practiced with either V or Durkon while on the airship though. But takes me back to "Durkon was a vamp then, and clearly would have benefited from knowing whether it worked against divine magic, so why not practice with Roy then to find out?".

I guess the storytelling reason was "but then we would not have a dramatic use of it while in the big Durkon/Roy fight, with the gallery watching them". So... either Roy never actually practiced it, or he practiced it with V, but not Durkon for some reason (which would also explain why Durkon would know it works against arcane magic, but not divine... I guess). We do know that they had a 10 day journey to go, 8 if the world depended on it, and could shave off two additional days if they got permission from the Elves to use their airspace. So... that still leaves us with a minimum of 6 days travel. Of course, then they hit a storm, and had to detour to the gnomes for repairs, and then detour again the the godsmoot, and then again to Firmament, so it's unclear how much actual time was expended where. But there should have been a day or three in there to practice this if he wanted to. I mean, Durkon had enough time to get Belkar to jump off the ship at least twice during all of this, so there was clearly a fair amount of idle time involved.

And, of course, they had two days travel from Firmament to Kraagar's gate, so Roy certainly had enough time after devamping Durkon to have practiced this enough to know if it had per-day uses, and if so, how many. But I was more going with the "what did he know about this prior to the Durkon/Roy fight at the godsmoot?" question.

The chance of them finding it are zero, unless Calder flees into the dungeon, triggers a bunch of traps and is killed by something other than the Order.

If the Order kills Calder, they will disintegrate the body. There's literally zero reason not to, and they know exactly what Xykon would do with the corpse if it's found.

I think that the fight at the godsmoot is proof they never practiced it as Durkon didn't know if it would work on divine magic. Since then they have been in a fight for the world. Yes they had two days as they approached Kragor's gate, but they are approaching the fight of thier lives and I'm guessing they stayed at high readiness for what ever took out thier missing paladins, Xykon on patrol, etc. My headcannon for the spellsplinter feat is that you can practice the move all you want, but to actually try breaking a spell you need to stick them with the sword. That means to find out if there's a daily limit you need to keep hurting your friend. Even if they have heals, that's rough. Plus does it matter if its a level 8 spell vs a level 1 one? Better try them all, don't forget the heal slots to repair yourself, etc. That's a lot of resources when Team Evil is running around, your scout paladins have vanished, etc. Plus they know that few feats have daily limits, so why look for something that may not exist. So far its worked (even if it might have been resisted once) each time that he's tried to do it. He hasnt run out yet, so he doesn't have much reason to go looking for a rule that probably doesn't exist.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Spamalot in the Playground

The original question was "I'm wondering if Roy's spell splinter feat is limited in uses per day?" and you repeatedly asserted that it wasn't, based on it having worked four times (in the illusion). I don't have a strong opinion either way, but you're the one who was making the definite claim.
    My definite claim was "at least four" - not "unlimited." You then proceeded to put a bunch of words in my mouth, along with some baseless claims.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

25. - Top - End - #235

Would it be a big deal, though? I mean, a Colossal zombie is just a big, slow bunch of HP with a moderate attack. And Xykon has been dungeoneering for days (weeks), and has access to a lot of monster corpse to reanimate.
    I'm probably missing something, but would undead-Calder make such a difference in Xykon's arsenal?

It doesn't mean they won't disintegrate him just to be sure and to avoid Xykon getting a "speak with dead" infodump, of course.

(Calder raised from the dead would be another story, though. But I don't see Team Evil doing such a thing.)

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I think that the fight at the godsmoot is proof they never practiced it as Durkon didn't know if it would work on divine magic. Since then they have been in a fight for the world. Yes they had two days as they approached Kragor's gate, but they are approaching the fight of thier lives and I'm guessing they stayed at high readiness for what ever took out thier missing paladins, Xykon on patrol, etc. My headcannon for the spellsplinter feat is that you can practice the move all you want, but to actually try breaking a spell you need to stick them with the sword. That means to find out if there's a daily limit you need to keep hurting your friend. Even if they have heals, that's rough. Plus does it matter if its a level 8 spell vs a level 1 one? Better try them all, don't forget the heal slots to repair yourself, etc. That's a lot of resources when Team Evil is running around, your scout paladins have vanished, etc. Plus they know that few feats have daily limits, so why look for something that may not exist. So far its worked (even if it might have been resisted once) each time that he's tried to do it. He hasnt run out yet, so he doesn't have much reason to go looking for a rule that probably doesn't exist.
    I quibble with the bolded part. In this comic we see Spellsplinter work, but no damage inflicted on the caster.

As for when he practiced, I suppose the theory is that if we didn't see it on panel it never happened. In which case, The Order never eats breakfast, Durkon never calls his mommy, and Belkar never farts in public spaces. I'm betting that as a Lawful Fighter, Roy has a daily workout routine that we never see on panel because it would be boring. Sure, you may enjoy going to the gym and watching physically fit humans exert themselves in physically demanding ways, but I would not expect the majority of comic readers to have that interest.
    Last edited by brian 333; 2024-06-13 at 09:36 AM.

27. - Top - End - #237

It always seemed weird to me to see the SCA fighters bragging about their bruise collections. My best guess was that it was a kind of bragging: "look how tough I am!" rather than "I'm not that good at defensive fighting".
    It's not reasonable to expect to be good at something from the start, and typically getting good at a thing involves doing it badly at first. And even if one is already good, one isn't perfect and frequent and intensive training will still leave bruises.

Without actually meeting them, I'd SCA/HEMA values improvement above absolute skill. If a group want to retain new members a culture of improvement enables the group to validate new members that aren't good, but are trying. Absolute skill isn't directly important since nobody is going off to die in battle or fight million dollar prize matches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kardwill View Post
    Would it be a big deal, though? I mean, a Colossal zombie is just a big, slow bunch of HP with a moderate attack. And Xykon has been dungeoneering for days (weeks), and has access to a lot of monster corpse to reanimate.
    I'm probably missing something, but would undead-Calder make such a difference in Xykon's arsenal?
    Most of those monsters are too visually complex to reanimate properly.

Zombie dragons also have damage reduction, although the order doesn't seem to be struggling with that now.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    Most of those monsters are too visually complex to reanimate properly.
    They’re animated now?

Alas, poor Sir Thumb, I’m not sure he’d be able to manage that! Unless he has an army of digit knights!

29. - Top - End - #239

Quote Originally Posted by No good @ names View Post
    They’re animated now?

Alas, poor Sir Thumb, I’m not sure he’d be able to manage that! Unless he has an army of digit knights! [emphasis added]
    Now I have a great idea for the name of a CGI-special-effects production company…

30. - Top - End - #240
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    Now I have a great idea for the name of a CGI-special-effects production company…
    I think it's better for a GGI-practical-effects company.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.