New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Re: OOTS #1303 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I dunno once you get to 115. I've spent plenty of summers on the Gulf Coast and in Las Vegas, and while what you're saying is true to a certain point, once you start going over 115 (and Vegas hit 120 at one point last week) the heat becomes too unbearable to spend any more than a minute or so at a time in the sun.
    Yeah, definitely a point when even under ideal conditions a temperature is just too high to be comfortable in.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I dunno once you get to 115. I've spent plenty of summers on the Gulf Coast and in Las Vegas, and while what you're saying is true to a certain point, once you start going over 115 (and Vegas hit 120 at one point last week) the heat becomes too unbearable to spend any more than a minute or so at a time in the sun.
    Shade and a breeze and the temperature doesn't bother you if the humidity is low enough. Finding shade in Vegas might be an issue, and a breeze between 9AM and 4PM is hit or miss, with mostly miss.

Of course, above 115 is slow-roasting. The other day one of my neighbor's chickens was in the road, (probably thinking up an excuse to cross it,) so I put it in my truck and went to work. When I got off for lunch I discovered roast chicken. Next week I'm bringing a hamster wheel to see if I get rotisserie chicken.
    Last edited by brian 333; 2024-07-10 at 06:00 PM.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aodha View Post
    OK, Giant... We're talking about air conditioning capacity and repair here, and My Little Pony even teleported in for a moment. Save us, Oh Great One, with a new manifestation; restore us to the true path with thy brilliance.
    Bless the Maker and his comics?

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    Why not both? I feel like there's a lot of territory to discuss the death star's cooling system.

By my calculations, the death star must have at least 300 times the energy density of C4 to blow up a planet, so it's rather impressive that there's any scenario that doesn't end with it blowing itself up.

So even if the weapon is 99.9% efficient, the death star would still melt if it didn't manage the excess heat.
    Hence why the Death Star didn’t need a “backdoor” built in by Galen Erso. It just needed literally every single thermal exhaust port open to fire at full power.

But I still love Rogue One. It’s so stupid in so many ways. I love it.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Barbarian in the Playground

Humans are some of the best sweaters in the animal kingdom, but our ability to sweat is finite. If you're in one of the few places where the heat is much worse than the African Savanna, your sweat glands won't be able to keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by No Good
    Hence why the Death Star didn’t need a “backdoor” built in by Galen Erso. It just needed literally every single thermal exhaust port open to fire at full power.
    I'd expect there would a margin of error of a few ports; it is designed for battle after all and a port might be damaged even accidentally. But there's enough ports, and the cooling system is complicated enough that damage to one might be a critical failure without being an obvious design flaw.

I do like the back door. Because the plot required the rebels to be sure a fighter orders of magnitude smaller could do the job; not an off chance it it happening, and not a design flaw that surprised everyone. The original version where the rebels figured out the design flaw, but not the imperials; this isn't the worse science thing in star wars, but it's not great either.

However, this is actually a very appropriate back door. Not only do you need to be an engineer, but also a particular type of engineer or possibly multiple types to understand what happens when this or that system overheats by two degrees. Vader (and possibly Plapatine) seems to think of actually, physical weapons as "nerd ****", and probably wouldn't have the patience to understand a cooling system problem even if an engineer shoved it in his face.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Humans are some of the best sweaters in the animal kingdom
    I prefer wool sweaters, myself.
    I do like the back door. Because the plot required the rebels to be sure a fighter orders of magnitude smaller could do the job; not an off chance it it happening, and not a design flaw that surprised everyone. The original version where the rebels figured out the design flaw, but not the imperials; this isn't the worse science thing in star wars, but it's not great either.
    The Imperials did figure it out in the original. "we've analyzed their attack pattern, sir, and there is a danger". The flaw was readily available to see. The Imperials simply didn't look too hard for it until they needed to, whole the Rebels did. Which fits into the theme of the Empire relying on brute force and ignoring the details.

However, this is actually a very appropriate back door. Not only do you need to be an engineer, but also a particular type of engineer or possibly multiple types to understand what happens when this or that system overheats by two degrees.
    It wasn't an overheat issue at all? Galen's sabotage wasn't dealing with the exhaust, it was with the reactor system itself. Which is not an appropriate backdoor, since reactors tend to have massive amounts of protection to protect them because blowing up reactors tends to not end well for them to start with. It was perfectly reasonable to believe that a reactor for a moon-sized space station with enough power to destroy a planet (which, notably, is initially thought to be impossible by people who live in that universe, and is called "the ultimate power in the universe" by the people who built it) would be destroyed by destroying it. Imean, a nuclear power station is pretty big, and a 2ft3 mass of C4 is pretty small, but i have to imagine that detonating it in the reactor itself would be very bad news not only for the power plant but also anything even remotely close to it, ya know?

And it was doubly not a reasonable sabotage because it relied on the rebels being able to detonate the reactor of the ****ing Death Star. Even with Galen's sabotage, they had to get insanely lucky to both A.) be able to find a method to actually act om said sabotage, and 2.) make the shot for that method to even be effective, which nobody except a literal space wizard was able to accomplish.

I agree on thr point that Rogue One was fun and i enjoy it but that plot point makes no sense.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

6. - Top - End - #396

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I prefer Imean, a nuclear power station is pretty big, and a 2ft3 mass of C4 is pretty small, but i have to imagine that detonating it in the reactor itself would be very bad news not only for the power plant but also anything even remotely close to it, ya know?
    Well, it might beach containment/scatter nuclear material, but it wouldn't increase the fission rate. However an anti-matter reactor would be more fail-deadly, so your point stands.

And it was doubly not a reasonable sabotage because it relied on the rebels being able to detonate the reactor of the ****ing Death Star.
    I meant more in the sense of Galean being able to get away with it. It's a slim shot, but it's better to get the defect actually build in then something obvious that gets caught in the blueprint stage.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

7. - Top - End - #397

I meant more in the sense of Galean being able to get away with it. It's a slim shot, but it's better to get the defect actually build in then something obvious that gets caught in the blueprint stage.
    Oh, i misunderstood, my bad. Yeah, 100% with you on that.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

I appreciated the pre-Disney Death Star Novel , which pointed out that the power to destroy a planet, or accelerate into lightspeed, is comparable to that of a small star, which is why the Death Star and capital ships use Hypermatter reactors . It's also noted that hypermatter reactors are notoriously tricky things; in the opening chapters an entire Star Destroyer goes KABOOM because something got ever-so-slightly out of balance.

Put that way, the Death Star blowing up is not a surprise. If anything, it's a marvel of engineering that the thing can even move through space at all. So it doesn't require much in the way of a push to blow it up if a torpedo hits in exactly the right spot. Something similar happened in the real world to the HMS Hood . One lousy shell in the wrong place and the wrong time -- and 45,000 tons of ship, not to mention 1500 crew, all gone in an instant. And Hood was running on fossil fuels, not antimatter.

In the novelization, it wasn't a deliberately engineered flaw so much as a design mistake. Which is also feasible. I think any engineer will tell you any vehicle is a hundred thousand design flaws just waiting to break down, which is why auto mechanics et al are a very viable industry. It's definitely more believable than Galen deliberately engineering a design flaw in, but I suppose that is a reference to another real world event . Forcing slaves to build your ammunition and weapons of war is a flawed idea. And if they want to make Galen Erso such a person, fighting from the inside against an evil he can't confront openly, well, it makes storytelling sense even if it's a bit weak on the technical aspects.

I love Rogue One, BTW.

so, anyone else have dragon recipes?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

"As for the rest, I'd like to take a moment to compliment your dedication to rational discussion. You are a gentleperson and a scholar, and I salute you."
    -- DaedalusMkV

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    1. Peanut butter and dragon sandwich.
    2. Four Alarm Dragon Chili. {Yeah, it's hot!}
    3. Dragon pudding, dragon sorbet, and strawberry tart.
    4. Dragon quiche (hey, ya gotta use the dragon eggs!)
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

10. - Top - End - #400
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Red Dragon Court Boullion

Begin with a marinara sauce heavy on the vegetables. Onion, celery, and bell pepper are necessary. Add Cajun Seasoning mix, or salt, pepper, garlic, and file powder to taste. Put in refrigerator for 3 days.

With a +5 cleaver, slice tenderloin steaks, (cylinder-shaped muscle on either side of backbone,) about one finger thick to make medallions. Soak in buttermilk overnight, dredge in cornmeal flour and have another fire-breathing dragon toast both sides to develop a good char.
    Drop medallions into cold marinara, which should begin to simmer as the medallions cool down. (Do not boil your marinara!)

Serve over white rice with shredded Parmesan. (Do not use that crap in a shaker. It is mostly freeze-dried whey and chemical preservatives. Really, don't.)

If you substitute, any cut of meat will serve as long as it is thin and boneless. Broil till browned then simmer in sauce just until meat is done. Do not boil sauce. Ever.

Fish is delicate. Pour warmed sauce over fish fillets lying on bed of rice.

Note: Cornmeal and Cornmeal flour are not the same. If you cannot get cornmeal flour, use self-rising wheat flour.

Garlic Butter Dragon Steak

Any steak cut from the back, (tenderloin, sirloin, ribeye, t-bone, etc.) will do. Avoid flank, roast-cuts, and marrow-bone steaks.

Salt and pepper both sides and place on cooling rack set on baking sheet. Overnight, cover with plastic wrap and place in frost free fridge. At three hours before cook time remove plastic and allow to air-dry in fridge. Remove from fridge half hour before cooking, but leave on rack.

Olive oil bottom of heavy skillet and heat until the oil shimmers, but not smoking. Place steak in pan and cook up to three minutes for 1" thick, faster for thinner cuts. When crust forms remove from pan, add oil if needed, bring back to hard shimmer, and place raw side down.

Put 1/4 pound salted butter and four minced and mashed garlic cloves in microwave for twenty or so seconds. When the second side of your steaks begin to form a crust, begin to drizzle garlic butter over them until you have about 1/4" of butter in the pan. Tilt pan so steak is not sitting in butter and use a large spoon to keep top of steak wet. When bottom is adequately crusty. Flip and spoon butter over it until steak achieves desired doneness. Three minutes each side to char, one minute to butter is about right for 1" medium steaks. Adjust times according to thickness and doneness desired. Serve with grilled or roasted vegetables.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Halfling in the Playground

The Imperials did figure it out in the original. "we've analyzed their attack pattern, sir, and there is a danger". The flaw was readily available to see. The Imperials simply didn't look too hard for it until they needed to, whole the Rebels did. Which fits into the theme of the Empire relying on brute force and ignoring the details.

It wasn't an overheat issue at all? Galen's sabotage wasn't dealing with the exhaust, it was with the reactor system itself. Which is not an appropriate backdoor, since reactors tend to have massive amounts of protection to protect them because blowing up reactors tends to not end well for them to start with. It was perfectly reasonable to believe that a reactor for a moon-sized space station with enough power to destroy a planet (which, notably, is initially thought to be impossible by people who live in that universe, and is called "the ultimate power in the universe" by the people who built it) would be destroyed by destroying it. Imean, a nuclear power station is pretty big, and a 2ft3 mass of C4 is pretty small, but i have to imagine that detonating it in the reactor itself would be very bad news not only for the power plant but also anything even remotely close to it, ya know?

And it was doubly not a reasonable sabotage because it relied on the rebels being able to detonate the reactor of the ****ing Death Star. Even with Galen's sabotage, they had to get insanely lucky to both A.) be able to find a method to actually act om said sabotage, and 2.) make the shot for that method to even be effective, which nobody except a literal space wizard was able to accomplish.

I agree on thr point that Rogue One was fun and i enjoy it but that plot point makes no sense.
    I always figured the “no redundancy in the exhaust systems” was Tarkin’s idea of maximum Imperial efficiency.

I always thought it interesting that the Death Star didn’t actually blow up until Tarkin ordered the firing of the Superlaser. Dramatic timing aside, I always wondered if anyone else wanted the Death Star to survive if the Station had just been hit by the torpedo and not fired the Superlaser??? Silly of me I know.

I know it stretches the incredulity because now the right person (Luke) needs to be in the right place (the trench) at the right time too (very close to firing so the Imperials have no time to abort firing).

12. - Top - End - #402

Quote Originally Posted by No good @ names View Post
    I always figured the “no redundancy in the exhaust systems” was Tarkin’s idea of maximum Imperial efficiency.

I always thought it interesting that the Death Star didn’t actually blow up until Tarkin ordered the firing of the Superlaser. Dramatic timing aside, I always wondered if anyone else wanted the Death Star to survive if the Station had just been hit by the torpedo and not fired the Superlaser??? Silly of me I know.

I know it stretches the incredulity because now the right person (Luke) needs to be in the right place (the trench) at the right time too (very close to firing so the Imperials have no time to abort firing).
    For what it's worth, i don't think Tarkin valued efficiency - dude used a planet buster as leverage to get a confession. And then blew up a planet to make a point.

Efficiency is kinda out the window with that guy.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground

For what it's worth, i don't think Tarkin valued efficiency - dude used a planet buster as leverage to get a confession. And then blew up a planet to make a point.

Well, it was also a public demonstration of the fire power of the station, intended to cow any systems that might still be considering rebellion. Far more efficient to blast one planet into debris than to send hundreds of Star Destroyers (that can't really destroy stars) to hundreds of systems to show the flag.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

14. - Top - End - #404
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Agreed. He is the kind of guy who, upon seeing a nail, gets a pile driver instead of a hammer. Then he murders everyone who ever made a nail as an example. Then he blows up the planet Nail and kills the Dragonball character named Nail.

Then he finds Thog an kills him over the Nale nails Not-Nale speech.

15. - Top - End - #405

Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    Well, it was also a public demonstration of the fire power of the station, intended to cow any systems that might still be considering rebellion. Far more efficient to blast one planet into debris than to send hundreds of Star Destroyers (that can't really destroy stars) to hundreds of systems to show the flag.

- M
    It's several years and films later, but he also destroys an entire Imperial base to kill a small insurgency after a transmission was already made.

Dude likes grand gestures.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2024-07-11 at 07:56 PM.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ogre in the Playground

It's several years and films later, but he also destroys an entire Imperial base to kill a small insurgency after a transmission was already made.

Dude likes grand gestures.
    As Gwen DeMarco is wont to say, "That episode was badly written!". I guess this applies as an entry where I was surprised that the majority opinion was so different than mine. I liked 75% of Solo better than all of Rogue One. And I liked all of Eps I-VII and IX more than Act III of Rogue One. Even the Jar Jar and Baby Anakin bits. And I hated those!

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

17. - Top - End - #407

Quote Originally Posted by No good @ names View Post
    I agree with the others that efficiency wasn't really the empire's style, but more over this is a comical extreme of efficiency, more like who the boss is Dilbert would design the death star.

Any competent engineer is going to consider failure rates and redundancies when designing something big with a lot of parts.

An engineer for weapons (or anything designed for use in war) is going to maximize the ability of the station to operate when damaged. While the engineers may not have considered inertia defying torpedoes fired by space wizards, it is pretty reasonable to expect literal armadas to be attacking it while it destroys planets.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    Well, it was also a public demonstration of the fire power of the station, intended to cow any systems that might still be considering rebellion.
    Agreed; it's pretty obviously a metaphor for a nuclear weapon.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki were not the worst bombing of WWII by many metrics, but the psychological impact was entirely different. One of the limitations of the conventional bombing campaigns were that they were clearly the worst the attacker could do, and people could "keep calm and carry on" because there were sure it was survivable on a societal level.