New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1303 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I think it's better for a GGI-practical-effects company.
    Gaming Genre Influencer?

(The degree of "micro" and "actions per second" the top StarCraft players can generate blows my mind. My thoughts don't move that fast, let alone my fingers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaAp2XDY-MM )
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    (The degree of "micro" and "actions per second" the top StarCraft players can generate blows my mind. )
    Mine as well. I have slowed down a bit, but even at my best I could not keep up so now I just play versus the PC.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Best use is for a K-Pop boy dance band. I wonder if The Giant thought about copyrighting Digit Knight?

Kwan And The Digit Knights
    The Superb Digit Knights
    The Digit Knights With Analog Dae
    Last edited by brian 333; 2024-06-15 at 08:57 PM.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Didn't Serini just teleport around earlier?

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1295.html

5. - Top - End - #245
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Yes, short teleports are still possible as long as they don't cross through the dimensional stone walls. Calder probably did not intend to make a short trip if he was using Greater Teleport though.

6. - Top - End - #246

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor West View Post
    Yes, short teleports are still possible as long as they don't cross through the dimensional stone walls. Calder probably did not intend to make a short trip if he was using Greater Teleport though.
    Yeah, it's extremely unlikely he's familiar with the nature of the stone. He probably would have been stymied.

I don't blame Roy for going for the Spellsplinter though. This is rapidly turning against Calder, what with Bloodfeast constantly getting him into grapples. Keeping the dragon shut down is probably more effective at this moment than laying on extra dps, and he probably couldn't know what spell was gonna be cast before splintering it (I'm on the "needs a readied action camp: Roy in panels 4 and 6 is moving in a way inconsistent with the other full attack or standard attack actions in this fight and others).
    "Thursdays. I could never get the hang of Thursdays."-Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide

"I had a normal day once. It was a Thursday." -Will Bailey, The West Wing

Roy will be Xykon's Final Boss

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor West View Post
    Why not? Greater Teleport doesn't just let you travel far, it let you teleport without any risk and to places you've never seen.

Even teleporting a couple rooms away would be enough of a lead to make it difficult for the humanoids to catch him again.

8. - Top - End - #248

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Why not? Greater Teleport doesn't just let you travel far, it let you teleport without any risk and to places you've never seen.

Even teleporting a couple rooms away would be enough of a lead to make it difficult for the humanoids to catch him again.
    I think it comes down to how much Calder knows about the dungeon, which we can't possibly answer with current information. Does he know about the dimensional stone? If so, does he know a way out? Is there even a way out for someone his size without the party catching back up? If nothing else, someone like him would probably recognize that a dungeon like this is likely to impede him, so I'm inclined to agree that he was going for the longer shot.
    "Thursdays. I could never get the hang of Thursdays."-Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide

9. - Top - End - #249
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

And where would he go? If he doesn't know the layout, then the whole thing is just as much a maze for him as it is for everyone else. If he does know the layout, then a regular teleport can get him to the entrance. I don't see any reason for Greater Teleport in this scenario other than range.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    I quibble with the bolded part. In this comic we see Spellsplinter work, but no damage inflicted on the caster.

As for when he practiced, I suppose the theory is that if we didn't see it on panel it never happened. In which case, The Order never eats breakfast, Durkon never calls his mommy, and Belkar never farts in public spaces. I'm betting that as a Lawful Fighter, Roy has a daily workout routine that we never see on panel because it would be boring. Sure, you may enjoy going to the gym and watching physically fit humans exert themselves in physically demanding ways, but I would not expect the majority of comic readers to have that interest.
    I'm not sure where you got that I was staying "they didn't show it so it didn't happen." My point is that they wouldn't want to use a potentially valuable resource when combat could ensue at any given moment.

As for the needing to hit them, lets say I'm reading off a set of 25 numbers and you want to practice a move that will make me mess up my reading of those numbers. To find out if you're actually going to be able to make me mess up you're actually going to have to hit me. Nothing else would work. Also, Calder looks pretty damaged to me.
    Last edited by Taragorn; 2024-06-17 at 11:45 AM.

11. - Top - End - #251

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Taragorn View Post
    I'm not sure where you got that I was staying "they didn't show it so it didn't happen." My point is that they wouldn't want to use a potentially valuable resource when combat could ensue at any given moment.

As for the needing to hit them, lets say I'm reading off a set of 25 numbers and you want to practice a move that will make me mess up my reading of those numbers. To find out if you're actually going to be able to make me mess up you're actually going to have to hit me. Nothing else would work. Also, Calder looks pretty damaged to me.
    He's damaged all right, but Rich went out of his way to have Roy's sword avoid hitting any part of the actual dragon here. That's all from the rest of the battle.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Barbarian in the Playground

But what business would he have only a couple of rooms away? There's no point in teleporting away a few rooms and then continuing to flee, just teleport to where you ultimately want to go.

I interpret his monologue in the first two panels as him thinking out loud; maybe not the best situation to do so, but fictional characters often do unrealistic things so the audience knows what they're thinking. Calder wants to escape and he doesn't have concrete plans beyond that. He doesn't want to ambush Serini five minutes later; he doesn't want to team up with Team evil (who he doesn't know exists). There is nothing for Calder nearby but trouble.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Taragorn View Post

I was talking about whether Roy practiced the Spellsplinter feat off panel or not. It appears to me, after seeing him use Spellsplinter on page, that he must have practiced at some point and I assume that he took the feat, even though neither was shown.

As for what resources are being used, umm, what ones? V drank a potion. Everything else used so far they get back after a rest. Since Team Evil will not be in this dungeon sooner than tomorrow, (almost two days being likely,) I can't see how spellcasting or use per day limits on feats matters.

If Spellsplinter interrupts the somatic, (finger wiggling,) part of the spell, then no actual contact is required. However, it appears to me that what Roy is doing is interfering with the accumulation of the magical energy which is required to cast the spell.

He isn't attacking the spellcaster, he is attacking the spell.
    Last edited by brian 333; 2024-06-17 at 03:25 PM.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

I quibble with the bolded part. In this comic we see Spellsplinter work, but no damage inflicted on the caster.
    We don't know that it did no damage though. We see a snapshot of the action, but not the entire sequence. And the focus is on disrupting the spell and not causing damage. It is interesting, however, that of the two definite times we know for sure he's used the move in the real world, we have not been shown a clear "this hit and caused damage" indication. But every single time it's been shown in the afterlife (both when Horace used it, and when Roy was practicing it), it was used in conjunction with a damage causing attack, and all 4 times it was shown in the dream/illusion sequence it also hit and did damage.

So... we don't know? It's possible that both times we've been shown him using it "for real", the opponent already had damage from several hits (a lot of hits in the case of Caler), so maybe the minor damage of one sword strike just wasn't significant enough to show? Maybe in the next frame we see Calder's claws, we'll see some minor scratch damage on one of his claws? Who knows?

It could also be some kind of touch-attack versus damage attack to-hit roll thing? So if he rolls well enough to "hit" he disrupts the spell, but has to roll well enough to "hit with damage" (penetrate armor) to do damage as well? Given the high natural AC of a dragon, this might be super relevant. But yeah, still just pure speculation on my part.

I was talking about whether Roy practiced the Spellsplinter feat off panel or not. It appears to me, after seeing him use Spellsplinter on page, that he must have practiced at some point and I assume that he took the feat, even though neither was shown.
    Yup. Again though, if he gains a level and takes the feat, it's just assumed retroactively that he has been practicing this all along and has now mastered it, but we know that this assumption occurs even in the absence of anyone else actually having been involved in this practice at all.

15. - Top - End - #255

He isn't attacking the spellcaster, he is attacking the spell.
    Sorry, I couldn't resist: So depending on what was being cast, Roy might be attacking the darkness?
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Sorry, I couldn't resist: So depending on what was being cast, Roy might be attacking the darkness?
    I'm not sure that link means what you think it means, but sure, why not?

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not sure that link means what you think it means, but sure, why not?
    Oh, it very surely does. If you can, listen to the whole thing...but the immediately relevant portion is 1:30 in...probably need about 15 seconds before for context.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

18. - Top - End - #258

Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    Oh, it very surely does. If you can, listen to the whole thing...but the immediately relevant portion is 1:30 in...probably need about 15 seconds before for context.

- M
    Thank you, and indeed it was just a callout to that section of the (in)famous parody.

(Though my favorite part has to be "If there are any girls there, I wanna do them!" followed by the girls who just walked into the bar immediately running out.)
    Last edited by arimareiji; 2024-06-19 at 12:52 AM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I don't see any reason for Greater Teleport in this scenario other than range.
    I am not at all advocating for Calder wanting anything other than teleport directly out of the dungeon but as we are on the internet and it is expected to show how other people are wrong in their views :

It could simply be that there are no other teleport spell on his spell list.

20. - Top - End - #260

Quote Originally Posted by Timy View Post
    I am not at all advocating for Calder wanting anything other than teleport directly out of the dungeon but as we are on the internet and it is expected to show how other people are wrong in their views :

It could simply be that there are no other teleport spell on his spell list.
    Could be. Could also be that the final fight against Xykon will go down exactly as Roy envisioned in Girard's Pyramid. But I'm going to go ahead and assume otherwise simply based on probability.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Could be. Could also be that the final fight against Xykon will go down exactly as Roy envisioned in Girard's Pyramid. But I'm going to go ahead and assume otherwise simply based on probability.
    Chekov's MitD has been primed, cocked, and aimed for quite a while. I expect MitD switching sides to be ... dramatic.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

22. - Top - End - #262
    Barbarian in the Playground

Elan: Wait, wait! Let me try talking to it first; it's an old friend.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

23. - Top - End - #263

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    Elan: Wait, wait! Let me try talking to it first; it's an old friend.
    Thank you for inducing my favorite kind, delayed-blast laughter. (^_^)

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

What does… oh, goddamnit.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #265

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    What does… oh, goddamnit.
    I know, right? XD

Bards are writing songs that voices never shared
    And no one dared disturb the sound of Greyview meeting Durkon

26. - Top - End - #266

Thank you for inducing my favorite kind, delayed-blast laughter. (^_^)
    It got past me when I first read it. Heh.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Hello darkness, my old friend
    I've come magic missile you again
    Because a vision softly creeping
    Left its seeds while I was sleeping
    And the vision that was planted in my brain
    Still remains within the sound of silence

In restless dreams, I walked alone
    Roy's feat defeated Xykon
    'Neath the halo of a street torch
    I turned my collar to the cold and damp
    When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a arcon's light
    That split the night, and touched the monster's darkness

And in the naked light I saw
    Ten thousand people, maybe more
    People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening
    People writing songs that voices never shared
    And no one dared disturb the sound of silence

"Fools," said I, "You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you"
    But my words, like silent raindrops, fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence

And the goblins bowed and prayed
    To the purple god they made
    And the sign flashed out its warning
    In the words that it was forming
    And the sign said, "The words of the clerics are written in the astral sea and demiplanes there
    And whispered in the sound of silence"

28. - Top - End - #268

What does it mean for a light to be invisible?
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2024-06-20 at 06:25 PM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    What does it mean for a light to be invisible?
    Physics is weird. All light is invisible. What you see is the energy discharged by atoms which absorb photons and kick back an electron. Technically you see the excitement of stimulated matter.

Oh. You were talking about the metaphorical invisible light.

Nevermind. Nothing to see here.
    Move along.

30. - Top - End - #270

What you see is the energy discharged by atoms which absorb photons and kick back an electron. Technically you see the excitement of stimulated matter.
    And we call that "light".