New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Zodi Streams: Jenny LeClue (Jenny LeClue and the Case of The Authorial Anxiety)

    A long-ish time ago, I saw someone stream a video game. This is not an uncommon occurrence I watch a number of videos game streamers. It is an enjoyable activity that I do. But this time, I saw a game that immediately hit me as like, incredibly quite good. A game good enough that I bought it for basically everyone I knew so they could play it. No one did, tragically, so I must take it into my own hands to show everyone...

    JENNY LECLUE - DETECTIVU!

    Zodi Streams: Jenny LeClue [1] Rude Girl Adventure

    Video Length: 4:33:28

    We are the titular Jenny LeClue, a young teenage detective genius, and she has a problem; she is getting tired of not having real actual mysteries to solve. Jenny LeClue also has another problem; it is a long-running young teenage detective genius genre mystery novel series, which has slumped in popularity due to formulaic writing and lack of any stakes or progression. The latter problem forces the hand of the author, and in doing so begins to solve the former problem... but in doing so, what new issues will occur? Arthur, the author, is conflicted about the direction the story honestly needs to take for his book series to continue- he loves his characters, his world, and the static comfort of it all. But at this point, now that the brakes are off, even Jenny seems to be fighting against him...

    Jenny LeClue is a point and click adventure game, in the mystery genre. Those of you who know me may recognize that I... generally don't like that sort of game. Phoenix Wright is fantastic of course, but things like Monkey Island or Grim Fandango are games that bounce off me like one of those high-tension spring mattresses. So when I say this is one of my favorite games of all time, that's gotta mean something. As Jenny you must search your environment for scraps of post cards, concept art, and of course actual clues to help progress the story, solve the mysteries you encounter, and get to the bottom of the odd things going down in Arthurton.

    This game also has a (relatively light) choose-your-own-adventure style to the dialogue, ala games like Mass Effect and the like. Your choosiness will influence the characters and the story somewhat here and there, but is ultimately not the be-all end-all deciding factor of things, which makes it a bit easier to work with. Generally, Jenny is a pretty rude and sassy girl (befitting a child detective sort) so even if you're trying to be nice, it might take a bit before she figures out how. And when you have her be mean... well, she doesn't pull punches.

    In this episode, we get all the way to the actual major mystery; the death of a beloved local figure and fan-favorite character. Oh no! We're also introduced to a number of folk who'll be important in the future; Jenny's Mom, the concept of her Dad, her friend Keith, her "local older guy who she hangs out with due to genre conventions" CJ the Conspiracy Jheorist, Dean Strausberry, and of course her cousin Susan Quincy Glatz. The voice work in this game is incredible, perfectly capturing the feel of one of these child detective novels, and I love it.

    Next time, join us as we escape our current predicament (trying not to spoil things TOO much in the write-up, this is a mystery after all) and begin our pursuit of the case in earnest...

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: Zodi Streams: Jenny LeClue (Jenny LeClue and the Case of The Authorial Anxiety)

    Let's Go meta as hell murder mystery!

    The "want" is worn off. That's a bad sign. *bdmtsh*
    Last edited by Rater202; 2024-06-08 at 11:07 AM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lord Raziere's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Zodi Streams: Jenny LeClue (Jenny LeClue and the Case of The Authorial Anxiety)

    Yeah this is a fun game just to watch and like, occasionally participate in, if I hadn't already spent my money on like, Elden Ring DLC and my trans/lesbian pride stuff, I'd probably be purchasing this to play myself just to see the different choices, but I guess it can wait for the next Steam sale.

    Spoiler
    Show

    what will be interesting to see is how much of Jenny's world is real and how much of it is just the author being conflicted because its currently very ambiguous to me. Jenny seems to be aware how small her world is, but none of the other characters seem to be.

    like, Jenny could just be where all the authors criticisms of his own story come bursting out because she's a rude little girl and it makes sense for her to not like being stuck in some midwest town. and people think writers have everything planned out at the beginning of a story, but I don't think thats always true or even a good mindset for all writing, because sometimes you write to explore an idea and feel it out, to question and examine before you come to any conclusions. and that writing can be as much of the writer working through their own thoughts as much as it presenting a story to others.

    like why kill Dean Strausberry? on a reality level it makes no sense, because the Dean seems to be a good well-meaning dude with no reason for anyone to kill him. But on a meta writer level he is perhaps symbolic of what Arthurton and the story is: a static figure from a long line of tradition that hasn't changed in a long time and that version of the story and Arthurton is dead and facing something completely new in how they died that changes everything. a good person like that who has seemingly done nothing wrong and is apart of the main cast dying is a signal that indicates pretty much anyone can die and the story can go anywhere because if the author can kill this guy....he can kill anyone. its a deliberately dramatic and forceful choice that not every reader or author will agree with. just ask any fan of a long-running franchise if they like their beloved long-running character being killed off.

    this does however remind me of the pokemon anime....it was static for a long, long time. and I think the only reason it didn't go a darker route for its change from Ash to new trainers is because its so popular as a franchise. the more I observe media, the more it seems popularity limits what a work can be, because people feel the work has to keep a certain tone so that people are interested, rather than exploring the world made in all its ups and downs. its only when something is less popular that it has room to grow and do more. the author here is down to two fans so....that is way past the time to make changes and take some risks. in some ways this premise is an examination of what happens to a story and author who really does get popular then stops changing entirely to consistently write the same stuff over and over again in its purest simplified form, as well as what happens when they have to make choices to change the story.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: Zodi Streams: Jenny LeClue (Jenny LeClue and the Case of The Authorial Anxiety)

    I'm seeing some red flags with Jenny's Mom: It seems that Jenny has been raised to be inquisitive, observant, and logical, and yet her mom seems to react negatively when Jenny does so in a way that inconveniences her.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: Zodi Streams: Jenny LeClue (Jenny LeClue and the Case of The Authorial Anxiety)

    Finished the Stream.

    In addition to the red flags with Jenny's mom, um... That bedroom door locking from the outside is another red flag. That is... A child's bedroom locking from the outside is a sign of an overly controlling parent.

    Also Jenny's grandfather seems like a ****.

    The Newspaper article filled with lies is... Two separate relatives of my stepfather have been slandered by the media shortly after their deaths. In one case it might have contributed to a murder victim being falsely declared a domestic abuser and attempted murderer and the death ruled a suicide in spite of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

    ...the fact that Susie has a secret lab and compulsively hides the fact that she's a prodigy of science and engineering strongly supports the argument made by the fact that her door locks from the outside.

    The first time I saw the ACAB acronym I read it as "assigned cop at birth" and got really confused.

    ...And there it is, emotional abuse motivated by adherence to outdated stereotypes.

    Ain't gonna lie, me thinks Jenny needs a hug.

    ...On the meta aspect, I'm of two minds. Our Author very clearly feels very attached to his characters, given the way he cries tino a jar of jam after writing the Dean's death and... Honestly, his interaction via narration with Jenny kind of makes him come across as an overprotective father. At the same time, this kind of story does need at least the illusion of danger... On the third hand, the fact that his publisher insisted that it had to be a murder mystery implies that Authur here isn't wrong about his publisher being a hack, even if there wasn't much in the way of malice behind that insistence.

    Also, I'm gonna mention that I um... Have something of a soft spot for point-and-click adventure games. Some of my fondest childhood memories involved Humungus Titles like Putput, Freddie Fish, or Pajama Sam(not so much Spy Fox, though I did play one of those in midle school) and with mystery in particular I distinctly recall playing through almost the entire Nacy Drew point and click series with my grandma back in middle school(Blackmoore Manner and Secret of The Old Clock being most distinct in my mind.) Honestly, wish I could react to this live but my computer doesn't play well with Twitch streaming.

    Suzie no! Why do you have that!?

    "Super security conscious" is just another way of saying overly controlling.

    Suzy, why the **** does your gamma-powered lie detector sentient? God damn it she's gonna be the one who makes the Internet of Things in Battlenetwork. All cars are gonna be controlled by sapient AI with different AI for stopping and going... Why would you make a lie detector that gets upset at big lies?

    ...Is this an Amity situation? Suzy's friends are just people she has to hang out with due to social obligations she never asked for and she's actually terribly lonely? Is that way her gadgets are also people? She had to build herself real friends?

    So gold actually can be affected by strong electromagnets. Or rather, it can be magnetized by them.

    ...You know, Jenny... Causing a power surge using Suzy's equipment will probably get her lab discovered if anyone tries to investigate what caused the surge.

    Pictured: Zodi and Qwerty

    Suzy what the ****?
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Zodi Streams: Jenny LeClue (Jenny LeClue and the Case of The Authorial Anxiety)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Also, I'm gonna mention that I um... Have something of a soft spot for point-and-click adventure games. Some of my fondest childhood memories involved Humungus Titles like Putput, Freddie Fish, or Pajama Sam(not so much Spy Fox, though I did play one of those in midle school) and with mystery in particular I distinctly recall playing through almost the entire Nacy Drew point and click series with my grandma back in middle school(Blackmoore Manner and Secret of The Old Clock being most distinct in my mind.) Honestly, wish I could react to this live but my computer doesn't play well with Twitch streaming.

    Why would you make a lie detector that gets upset at big lies?

    ...Is this an Amity situation? Suzy's friends are just people she has to hang out with due to social obligations she never asked for and she's actually terribly lonely? Is that way her gadgets are also people? She had to build herself real friends?

    Pictured: Zodi and Qwerty

    Suzy what the ****?
    To be clear, it's very much a personal issue with pointy-clicky games. I don't think they're bad games I just had the misfortune of getting stuck on pixel hunts for a total four hours in Grim Fandango and any of its middling-to-funny comedy was instantly rendered into annoying prattle. Monkey Island likewise, less pixel hunt and more "oh this is just impressively unfunny". I enjoyed the Wii Sam and Max games though, they're like... the baseline bare minimum of what I can endure, in this genre.

    Also there is no problem with not being able to watch live, it's fine.

    The impression I got was that Suzy didn't... intend, for them to have the personalities they do. They just got them. Judy gets upset about big lies because she's just a sensitive person, it happens.

    Yeah it is definitely an Amity situation- though unlike most of these set ups Suzie seems like she's genuinely trying to be nice while in those groups. It's not like Amity who puts up the mean bitch persona because she's supposed to, or Chloe who is a mix of "I need to be performatively mean" and "I've kind of lost sight of how to say things nicely".

    That image is true!

    I don't recall the last thing Suzy! Oops!
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2024-06-13 at 11:59 AM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: Zodi Streams: Jenny LeClue (Jenny LeClue and the Case of The Authorial Anxiety)

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I don't recall the last thing Suzy! Oops!
    She kind of went overboard with that lie about killing the Dean.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lord Raziere's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Zodi Streams: Jenny LeClue (Jenny LeClue and the Case of The Authorial Anxiety)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Also, I'm gonna mention that I um... Have something of a soft spot for point-and-click adventure games. Some of my fondest childhood memories involved Humungus Titles like Putput, Freddie Fish, or Pajama Sam(not so much Spy Fox, though I did play one of those in midle school) and with mystery in particular I distinctly recall playing through almost the entire Nacy Drew point and click series with my grandma back in middle school(Blackmoore Manner and Secret of The Old Clock being most distinct in my mind.) Honestly, wish I could react to this live but my computer doesn't play well with Twitch streaming.
    doesn't play well with- Rater my computer has 8gigs of RAM, and has been with me since 2015-2016, its considered an outdated potato now and I'm probably going to upgrade to a better one relatively soon, it handles streaming just fine and always has, what ancient computer are you using???

    and yeah Suzie's parents are honestly horrible. they're fictional and rich so this is pretty expected TBH, I'd be more surprised to find fictional rich parents that are actually good at parenting.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: Zodi Streams: Jenny LeClue (Jenny LeClue and the Case of The Authorial Anxiety)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    doesn't play well with- Rater my computer has 8gigs of RAM, and has been with me since 2015-2016, its considered an outdated potato now and I'm probably going to upgrade to a better one relatively soon, it handles streaming just fine and always has, what ancient computer are you using???
    It's not a hardware issue as far as I can tell, and it's not a conenction issue either. Twitch specifically just... Doesn't coem in clearly. vido playback will stop while audio continues... I can stream other things just fine, most of the time, but twitch is an issue.

    and yeah Suzie's parents are honestly horrible. they're fictional and rich so this is pretty expected TBH, I'd be more surprised to find fictional rich parents that are actually good at parenting.
    Now now, Raz, there are plenty of good rich fictional parents. But it's just that most of them are dead. Like the Waynes.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lord Raziere's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Zodi Streams: Jenny LeClue (Jenny LeClue and the Case of The Authorial Anxiety)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Now now, Raz, there are plenty of good rich fictional parents. But it's just that most of them are dead. Like the Waynes.
    I mean......if most good rich parents are dead ones that kind of says something all by itself right? they did the best thing a rich parent can apparently do for their child and not be present in their life :P

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: Zodi Streams: Jenny LeClue (Jenny LeClue and the Case of The Authorial Anxiety)

    I'm not gonna lie, I have expected Suzy to offer Jenny a gun.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Zodi Streams: Jenny LeClue (Jenny LeClue and the Case of The Authorial Anxiety)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I'm not gonna lie, I have expected Suzy to offer Jenny a gun.
    You'd think! Also sorry it took awhile to post this.

    ------

    Jenny time!

    Zodi Streams: Jenny LeClue [2] Eyes To See

    Video Length: 3:37:13

    In this episode, Jenny makes her way across town in search of her detective gear, wondering all the while about who actually killed the Dean and why. With so many questions surrounding his mysterious death, with so many odd happenings going on in town, it seems that even the faintest scrap of information pointing us towards the real killer simply opens up far more questions than answers. Luckily, CJ gives us a tool that'll help us in the long run- his compass, that points towards Them... and in doing so, Jenny stumbles upon something far grander than one single murder.

    As Jenny begins unraveling the darkest secrets Arthurton has hidden just belong that idyllic surface, the deeper those secrets seem to run... and the deeper Arthur's cup of brandy seems to be. The despair inherent in writing a story where your beloved characters start getting hurt, scared- when they're really, truly in danger? That can be a lot. But you don't become the author of a 37 book long series that has started to decline without having once been an up-and-coming author with a number of quality books under your belt.

    While Jenny's world may have devolved into more saccharine, simple stories, I think it's reasonable to assume that these books were once good. I think the core of that is Jenny's father- his death seems like such a... normal, known quantity, by the characters that it must have been in the series since the beginning. It is that emotion of loss, beyond just the standard LeClue family desire to know everything, that I think spurred Jenny into becoming the detective she is... and made people lock in to the series at the beginning. And Arthur knows that. He's a good writer, clearly, he's just been in a rut... but even as he despairs about what he's writing, even he can tell that this is some of the best work he's written in ages. The story has a mind of its own now, and wherever it is going is the right way. He just needs to direct it, one step at a time...

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: Zodi Streams: Jenny LeClue (Jenny LeClue and the Case of The Authorial Anxiety)

    I can't help but feel that, since Suzy is supposedly Jenny's cousin, that she likewise is a long-term character and the "secret genius" thing is Arthur's attempt to shake up the status quo in less scary ways than the murder.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Zodi Streams: Jenny LeClue (Jenny LeClue and the Case of The Authorial Anxiety)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I can't help but feel that, since Suzy is supposedly Jenny's cousin, that she likewise is a long-term character and the "secret genius" thing is Arthur's attempt to shake up the status quo in less scary ways than the murder.
    Yeah, that also feels VERY true.

    The one question I have is... is Jenny's personality as presented in this game accurate to her depiction across the entire series? Some of her willfullness is clearly new because she's outright arguing with the narrator, but if she always was a sassy little **** it'd help explain the popularity of the earlier books, and why the decline may have been happening. Arthur's been getting further and further away from the truth of Jenny's character- she's a good person at heart of course, but there's layers of personal self-assurance that leads to her being a bit of a know-it-all... and worse, a know-it-all that does know it all, to at least some degree.

    And maybe it's just me, but a sarcastic genius who is clearly nice inside but due to her dad's death is relatively closed off to people, cold and distant and analytical- useful for her job, killer for her relationships- is someone I'd really like to read about. I can absolutely see how Jenny slowly losing the edge would kill her popularity as a character. It is likely that the world we see in this game is pushed MORE than it used to be- there are DIRECT confrontations about her dad's death after all, and a far sharper feeling to Jenny that may feel appropriate, like the "be REALLY mean" option- but it's stuff that feels RIGHT, despite that.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: Zodi Streams: Jenny LeClue (Jenny LeClue and the Case of The Authorial Anxiety)

    It's taking me a bit to get through this because I got bit by my muse. I'm currently at the hour and two minute mark... That bit about winston LeClue distancing himself from the investigation is another out-and-out lie in the newspaper, continuing from the blatant lies in the last episode.

    We know for a fact that he actively interrogated Jenny which... Would be a no no even if his daughter-in-law wasn't the suspect since Jenny is his granddaughter. And if the dream is accurate he went full Bad Cop on her and accused her of lying when she (in this playthrough) wasn't.

    Combined with how shady he and Jenny's aunt are acting and it seems like not only is he not distancing himself, but beyond a conflict of interest he's actively railroading his daughter-in-law.

    ...Which makes me wonder whether Jenny's mom actually refused legal counsel or if she never got any and the cops lied about it.

    Jenny, you know your next mission: Commit arson at the headquarters of the local paper so that they cannot keep peddling lies.

    Edit: 2 hours, 12 minutes: I can think of another reason for Jenny not to leave the report: Ther'es no presumption of innocence in this case and active evidence of a cover up: Julie has already been convicted in the court of public opinion and the newspapers have published false details that only could have come from the police, which combined with how Julie's grandfather tried to railroad her during interrogation and lied about distancing himself from the investigation and the general shady way he's acting makes it abundantly clear that Julie ain't getting a fair trial. Any evidence that could implicate her, even circumstantial like this, is more ammo to screw her over.

    The only way to prove that Julie is innocent is to find the real killer. Until that's done anything that could be used to frame her will be and let's be honest, it's easier to get her out of jail if she hasn't been convicted yet.

    A third reason... It tarnishes Dean Strousberry's memory, if this info got out that would make things harder for Keith and Jenny's already feeling terrible about how things went down.

    Edit 2: See above reasoning, in addition to demonstrated incompetence, for why telling the cops is a bad idea.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2024-06-19 at 10:59 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Zodi Streams: Jenny LeClue (Jenny LeClue and the Case of The Authorial Anxiety)

    That is some good reasoning Rater! I'm curious what you'll deduce from the final episode...

    ------

    Zodi Streams: Jenny LeClue [3] The Final Choice

    Video Length: 4:24:21

    We resume our exploration of the graveyard, in search of the biggest cross... or should I say, the tallest Cross! While the puzzle isn't as tricky as it could be, I've always liked the little twist in what the puzzle actually is- searching not for a gravestone by a body. It's fun! And thanks to that little search, we slowly but surely find our way deeper, deeper into the mysteries of Arthurton...

    To be blunt, we finish the game this stream, and writing it all out would actually spoil the discussion, so lets leave it there. I'll give my non-spoilery thoughts here, and we can discuss how it goes once folk have actually watched it.

    Jenny LeClue is, genuinely, a really good story, and for a game like this that above all else is paramount. Mechanically I can understand people not being super enthused by it, since it is fairly basic adventure game stuff... though without the possibility of hard-locking the game to death like certain other adventure games. It's mechanics are more a vehicle for the story, and in that they shine brightly, making you feel like the junior detective Jenny is. Her interrogations and deductions are fun, and searching around for puzzles and stuff really does feel like you're unraveling some darker secrets. The "choosiness" aspect of the story helps make Jenny feel more real as a character... AND ties into the meta narrative of this being an author trying desperately to save his series.

    The only real negative I can lay on the game is, well, the ending, and that is simply because "I would like to experience the sequel please video game maker man please please please", and honestly if that's the worst thing I can say about you that's praising with faint damnations. The good news is that as of 2022 we know Jenny LeTwo is in production, but beyond that radio silence. I'll try adjusting the red, green, and blue lines to see if I can get it clearer, and when that sequel does come out we're absolutely playing it blind.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lord Raziere's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Zodi Streams: Jenny LeClue (Jenny LeClue and the Case of The Authorial Anxiety)

    Yeah I really like it, it offers some weird choices that I wouldn't expect a choice-based adventure game to do.

    like, maybe its basic adventure stuff but I can see the meta-aspect in that its technically harkening back to an even earlier genre than the ones we're used to being forced to become the adventure genre we know now.

    you say its a place out of time, but I disagree! much of the things shown are things that showed up around the 1920's-50's range. the computers are big, bulky and using tapes, but many modern conveniences are there- things like the refrigerator, electricity and most common appliances came about during the 1910's-20's as Edison and Tesla spread the applications of electricity. but, critically is what we don't see: definitely nothing internet age, though the report from the Enigma show being in color yet having that old timey propaganda style would probably put its disappearance.....well color TV was actually first invented 1920's but it wouldn't be refined and perfected until the 40's. the TV show has some color but also uses black and white footage of arthurton, as if it can't get color consistently. right in the ranged 20's to 50's range that I theorize this game to be. what also doesn't show up? human space travel, this is important as early space travel is an important signifier of the 60's and onwards- it changed more than you think. for example, the candy bars! did you know the current way that candy bars are sealed now is because of the astronauts? they needed food that was vacuum safe and thus invented a way to wrap things so that space doesn't get in, this just so happens to be convenient and useful for the rest of us as well. but none of the candy bars we see use the astronaut food method of sealing their chocolate instead wrapping them in foil the old-fashioned way, and the fact that packs of cigarettes is in the vending machine as well indicates a 50's or earlier time period. even the weird fancy sciencey stuff that has no basis in reality has basis in 1920's to 1950's pulp, as science as still seen as this weird wondrous thing of possibility and whatnot.

    as further evidence, the Author himself uses a typewriter and communicates with people via letter or a phone that is distinctly in an old fashioned style that dates to such a period of time, and his clock is non-digital. I'm pretty sure that if more people examined this game they could pinpoint the exact period of time Jenny LeClue is taking place in better than me. I saw nothing anachronistic throughout the game that indicates the author or the game devs are haphazardly smashing two eras together or including things that didn't exist within the 1920's-50's range of time, and there is room for doubt on the 50's part because nuclear power was a big thing during the 50's, sure Fallout may have exaggerated it to parody, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there, and a game like this would certainly use such a big thing as an indicator of the trend and genre its drawing upon, because anything close to that is highly experimental and not perfected yet- so closer to 30's, probably.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: Zodi Streams: Jenny LeClue (Jenny LeClue and the Case of The Authorial Anxiety)

    Matt has no tact. He is tactless. The concept of tact does not exist in his cognition. Also, did he um... Just imply that the cemetery murdered his predecessor? He said Owen died digging a grave that turned out to be his own due to budget cuts, so... "dig your own grave" has implications.

    ...Or maybe he's just dumb?

    I'm seeing a pattern of victim blaming in regard to tragedies in this town.

    I'm realizing a contradiction in Matt's story: He claims his memory is bad but knows all the bodies by name.

    Arthur's natation urging Jenny into danger when she's reluctant is an interesting twist on the game's formula so far. Also "distended bowls of arthurton" is cursed phrasing.

    Oooh, ooh, ooh! "Crossing the Threshold" is a literary term. It refers to the point in the hero's journey where there's no going back to the way things were before. The hero has left the world they've known and won't be able to return home again, if ever, until their journey is complete, at which point they will, for better or for worse, be changed forever.

    Arthur narrating that Jenny has crossed the threshold, in this context, is an affirmation on his part that he's fully committed to seeing this through to the end.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2024-06-21 at 11:26 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Zodi Streams: Jenny LeClue (Jenny LeClue and the Case of The Authorial Anxiety)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Yeah I really like it, it offers some weird choices that I wouldn't expect a choice-based adventure game to do.

    like, maybe its basic adventure stuff but I can see the meta-aspect in that its technically harkening back to an even earlier genre than the ones we're used to being forced to become the adventure genre we know now.

    you say its a place out of time, but I disagree! much of the things shown are things that showed up around the 1920's-50's range. the computers are big, bulky and using tapes, but many modern conveniences are there- things like the refrigerator, electricity and most common appliances came about during the 1910's-20's as Edison and Tesla spread the applications of electricity. but, critically is what we don't see: definitely nothing internet age, though the report from the Enigma show being in color yet having that old timey propaganda style would probably put its disappearance.....well color TV was actually first invented 1920's but it wouldn't be refined and perfected until the 40's. the TV show has some color but also uses black and white footage of arthurton, as if it can't get color consistently. right in the ranged 20's to 50's range that I theorize this game to be. what also doesn't show up? human space travel, this is important as early space travel is an important signifier of the 60's and onwards- it changed more than you think. for example, the candy bars! did you know the current way that candy bars are sealed now is because of the astronauts? they needed food that was vacuum safe and thus invented a way to wrap things so that space doesn't get in, this just so happens to be convenient and useful for the rest of us as well. but none of the candy bars we see use the astronaut food method of sealing their chocolate instead wrapping them in foil the old-fashioned way, and the fact that packs of cigarettes is in the vending machine as well indicates a 50's or earlier time period. even the weird fancy sciencey stuff that has no basis in reality has basis in 1920's to 1950's pulp, as science as still seen as this weird wondrous thing of possibility and whatnot.

    as further evidence, the Author himself uses a typewriter and communicates with people via letter or a phone that is distinctly in an old fashioned style that dates to such a period of time, and his clock is non-digital. I'm pretty sure that if more people examined this game they could pinpoint the exact period of time Jenny LeClue is taking place in better than me. I saw nothing anachronistic throughout the game that indicates the author or the game devs are haphazardly smashing two eras together or including things that didn't exist within the 1920's-50's range of time, and there is room for doubt on the 50's part because nuclear power was a big thing during the 50's, sure Fallout may have exaggerated it to parody, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there, and a game like this would certainly use such a big thing as an indicator of the trend and genre its drawing upon, because anything close to that is highly experimental and not perfected yet- so closer to 30's, probably.
    To clarify by "out of time" I mean that though there are the occasional notes of weird tech or allusions to real world stuff (the "interconnected communication system full of cat pictures" line) the place really does feel like it could take place "any time" if that makes sense? There's a lot of markers that indicate it takes place in a certain time period, you're not wrong there, but it still has a sort of timeless vibe to me?

    Arthur strikes me as an old-fashioned person who would just enjoy having a rotary phone. He's stuck in the past, after all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Matt has no tact. He is tactless. The concept of tact does not exist in his cognition. Also, did he um... Just imply that the cemetery murdered his predecessor? He said Owen died digging a grave that turned out to be his own due to budget cuts, so... "dig your own grave" has implications.

    ...Or maybe he's just dumb?

    I'm seeing a pattern of victim blaming in regard to tragedies in this town.

    I'm realizing a contradiction in Matt's story: He claims his memory is bad but knows all the bodies by name.

    Arthur's natation urging Jenny into danger when she's reluctant is an interesting twist on the game's formula so far. Also "distended bowls of arthurton" is cursed phrasing.

    Oooh, ooh, ooh! "Crossing the Threshold" is a literary term. It refers to the point in the hero's journey where there's no going back to the way things were before. The hero has left the world they've known and won't be able to return home again, if ever, until their journey is complete, at which point they will, for better or for worse, be changed forever.

    Arthur narrating that Jenny has crossed the threshold, in this context, is an affirmation on his part that he's fully committed to seeing this through to the end.
    Yeah Matt is immediately suspect to me, especially because of that contradiction (and the fact that he rats us out, obviously).

    Every story needs a good Rubicon to cross over, yeah.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: Zodi Streams: Jenny LeClue (Jenny LeClue and the Case of The Authorial Anxiety)

    I am now condoning Arthur's opinion that his publisher is a Hack.

    Literally, everyone does a little creative writing in school, that doesn't make you good at it.

    He seems to be forgetting that this is still a book for children at the end of the day, and likewise seems to think that Lowest Common Denominator Pulp Novels at the epitome of mystery fiction.

    Throwing in an extra murder for the hell of it—requiring that it even be murder in the first place—would be ****ty and the way he demands that Arthur cater to his tastes or else is...

    Arthur needs to look for another publisher.

    th eLatin is "to build a new world" and "freedom from order." The second one specifically is worded so that the freedom comes from order, not that you're free from order.

    Given that the notes were under one that had the motto on the Dean's ring, this suggests that the council of three are Illuminati types.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2024-06-26 at 07:16 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Zodi Streams: Jenny LeClue (Jenny LeClue and the Case of The Authorial Anxiety)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I am now condoning Arthur's opinion that his publisher is a Hack.

    Literally, everyone does a little creative writing in school, that doesn't make you good at it.

    He seems to be forgetting that this is still a book for children at the end of the day, and likewise seems to think that Lowest Common Denominator Pulp Novels at the epitome of mystery fiction.

    Throwing in an extra murder for the hell of it—requiring that it even be murder in the first place—would be ****ty and the way he demands that Arthur cater to his tastes or else is...

    Arthur needs to look for another publisher.

    th eLatin is "to build a new world" and "freedom from order." The second one specifically is worded so that the freedom comes from order, not that you're free from order.

    Given that the notes were under one that had the motto on the Dean's ring, this suggests that the council of three are Illuminati types.
    Yeah, it'd be COMPLETELY fine to let the meta-plot narrative serve as the true plot, with the Dean's reveal of actually being alive playing into that. Having it HAVE to be a murder, a real one, where someone actually dies is just hack ****. The themes of this Jenny LeClue story is about how things change, how sometimes you cross a threshold and things will never be the same again... and while a permanent death would CAUSE that, I personally find the fact that Jenny has learned some dark ****ing secrets about her world and the people in it do that well enough. Sure, the Dean is alive, and her friendship is restored, and the status does seem to be quoing... but Jenny KNOWS, now, about things she cannot step back from.

    Yeah, that makes sense. Given the phrase on the Dean's ring, my best understanding is that the other two factions of these three are the Glatz Foundation (to build a new world, and they're manufacturers) and the cops (freedom from order, naturally).

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: Zodi Streams: Jenny LeClue (Jenny LeClue and the Case of The Authorial Anxiety)

    I'm actually wondering if the declining popularity of the series isn't at least partially because the publisher isn't doing his due diligence in marketing it rather than soley being because Arthur's too protective of the characters.

    Like, this is a good story and met every demand that was asked for.

    Also, the threat to not publish the book... Remember the first letter? The Book's already been ordered and they're bound by contract. If Arthur writes it, then unless the publisher put all liability in their contract on Arthur the publisher can't not publish it. He's bluffing to manipulate Arthur and Arthur's despair at what he's doing to his beloved creations, possibly augmented by how much brandy he's been drinking, mean he's not cognizant enough to see the trap and avoid it.

    Publisher's an entitled *******.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lord Raziere's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Zodi Streams: Jenny LeClue (Jenny LeClue and the Case of The Authorial Anxiety)

    from what I can tell the "normal" faire of Jenny LeClue is pretty tame, safe stuff. like "find a kids missing homework before they need to turn it in" level kind of thing.

    so like, the author's audience would be a bit specific, probably kids, and the publisher probably doesn't care about marketing a series like this properly because they prefer more adult stuff and thus don't know how evaluate what is a good story for kids instead of adults. I'd probably not read a "normal" Jenny LeClue adventure myself because it'd be less interesting than a pokemon episode at the height of Ash's filler episode-ness, and Pokemon anime is already pretty bad for being so formulaic and safe at that point.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Zodi Streams: Jenny LeClue (Jenny LeClue and the Case of The Authorial Anxiety)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I'm actually wondering if the declining popularity of the series isn't at least partially because the publisher isn't doing his due diligence in marketing it rather than soley being because Arthur's too protective of the characters.

    Like, this is a good story and met every demand that was asked for.

    Also, the threat to not publish the book... Remember the first letter? The Book's already been ordered and they're bound by contract. If Arthur writes it, then unless the publisher put all liability in their contract on Arthur the publisher can't not publish it. He's bluffing to manipulate Arthur and Arthur's despair at what he's doing to his beloved creations, possibly augmented by how much brandy he's been drinking, mean he's not cognizant enough to see the trap and avoid it.

    Publisher's an entitled *******.
    I feel like that's definitely part of it. I think the "fake-out" ending is absolutely meant to be indicative of the series' current quality of writing, exaggerated after spending so much time writing a REAL novel, but the reality is these books did start out with a high popularity. The decline of the series is absolutely a mix of both the publishing house being hacks and Arthur just, refusing to grow and change as a writer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    from what I can tell the "normal" faire of Jenny LeClue is pretty tame, safe stuff. like "find a kids missing homework before they need to turn it in" level kind of thing.

    so like, the author's audience would be a bit specific, probably kids, and the publisher probably doesn't care about marketing a series like this properly because they prefer more adult stuff and thus don't know how evaluate what is a good story for kids instead of adults. I'd probably not read a "normal" Jenny LeClue adventure myself because it'd be less interesting than a pokemon episode at the height of Ash's filler episode-ness, and Pokemon anime is already pretty bad for being so formulaic and safe at that point.
    And then this new episode of Jenny LeClue hits everyone, new fans and old-heads alike, like how the Sun and Moon Pokemon anime struck us in real life, and there's a sudden surge of popularity because oh **** it's good now.

    Also new game new thread: please enjoy having a sense of Control over your environment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •