New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Need a new task/reminder program

It appears IT doesn't have a choice on accepting the New Outlook "upgrade" since everything is hosted by MS. I can say plenty of bad things about it in terms of UI design, but I'm posting because it basically destroys the "Tasks" function and replaces it with a crippled "To do" interface that doesn't allow sorting, show detailed lists, or allow the opening of tasks in individual windows.

For the last 15 years I've been using Outlook Tasks to manage leads and calls for my sales job. I can set a reminder to call X company at a given date and time, log all my notes in that reminder where they're easy to find/see, and then push the reminder's due date out 2 weeks for a followup if needed. I can have multiple reminders open at once to do a string of calls with fewer distractions, and I can also alt-tab back to my e-mail to do other things without losing my place.

This is now all gone.

I need a replacement program that's probably too basic to be made today:
    -Does not live in my browser
    -Preferably not cloud based
    -Gives me a single interface with all of my "to dos" in it that are currently due/scheduled, even if they're 42 weeks overdue (I get behind a bit), and none of the ones that aren't due yet, sorted by due date.
    -Allows me to open each one in a new window, log updated details, and push the due date out

That's all. No sharing, no sorting, no colorful distractions, no internet anything. If it weren't for the reminder and scheduling part, I could use Notepad.

Any specific suggestions?
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Need a new task/reminder program

Not cloud based is going to be the biggest problem to deal with, as that seems to be where everything is going.

I've seen one company that used reminders in Excel, and some quick googling indicates it is possible, but I didn't look at specifics.

Do you have a work phone? if so, can you use any reminder/calendar program that is a part of it?
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I take all my notes in Tasks as well... much easier to do it with a real monitor+keyboard than a phone.

I have downloaded a few candidate programs and will give them a try. Right now it seems like "New Outlook" doesn't support opening messages or replies in windows at all. It's like a browser experience only with less screen real estate.

Not sure I'm going to be able to do work that way at all. Waiting for IT to respond.
    Campaign Logs:

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    Any specific suggestions?
    A collegue in the office advises me that you can still find the original outlook executable on the machine and run that directly. I'm not sure of the exact details as I haven't tried it myself, and it may be an artefact of the way our work machines are set up.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

My place uses Asana to manage reminders with multiple people in it, give it a try

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Good news! It turns out that it's fine to use Classic (good) Outlook for the foreseeable future.

I do expect Microsoft to eventually drop/deprecate it in favor of "New Outlook," so this has been a good warning of problems to come. I have time to prepare and move to something different.
    Campaign Logs:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm by no means an MS fan, but I suspect that they really want you to use their Teams product for things like scheduling things, and not Outlook. And I think that both come bundled together when you get the office suite (at least, the last home computer I purchased I paid for one package, and got outlook, teams, excel, etc...).

And to be honest, Teams is not a terrible tool (yes. that's high praise from me). It's the actual calendaring/scheduling app, and it can be linked/synced to outlook as well (I actually prefer the outlook calendar interface for "at a glance" viewing, especially when viewed on a phone, but prefer to actually create meetings and appointments in teams, so go figure).

I've literally never used outlook for scheduling tasks, so I can't really speak in terms of your previous experience versus present. I do schedule meetings (and have done so in both, and with other older non-MS tools in the past as well). I do know that teams has some group tools specifically designed less for scheduling and more about listing off sets of projects/tasks, assigning them (and sub-tasks) to different people, etc. I've had some supervisors who have used that extensively for tracking team project work. So I do know that this functionality exists. Can't speak to how well that works with what you're trying to do.