New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Video preview of 2024 PHB

Quote Originally Posted by Theodoxus View Post
    Also, if the subclass you want to play is in the PHB, you can't use the 2014 one. (I assume this is in official AL play, as good luck enforcing that rule at my home table!)
    They're just being clear about their design intent. Obviously if they update a subclass (e.g. Abjurer) that's the version they want you to use going forward, just like if they had errataed it, and i they didn't (e.g. Necromancer) then you'd stick with the old one until they get around to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodoxus View Post
    All in all, not exactly what I'd call 'backward compatible', but it's tangential. I assume the same "rule" applies to modules. If the monsters in question are in the new MM, you'll need to run the newness. IF they're not, you're ok to use them as printed?
    We're not getting the Monster Manual until 2025 so it stands to reason we'll be using the existing ones for a while. The ones in the PHB are more like companions, mounts, familiars and the like, though there'll be enough Beasts to get a Moon Druid going.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralVryth View Post
    This is exactly what I expected backwards compatibility to look like. It's the only way it makes sense. Anything else makes it too easy to fish for OP combos. The more interesting question to me, is what is the recommendation for Spells/Feats that aren't updated.
    The Character Sheet interview touches on that. When they tell you to pick a feat, if they don't specify a type of feat (e.g. Origin Feat, like they do in the Human, or Epic Boon Feat at 19), then you pick any kind. And spells basically work like subclasses - use the new one if it was updated, the old if not.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #722
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    The Character Sheet interview touches on that. When they tell you to pick a feat, if they don't specify a type of feat (e.g. Origin Feat, like they do in the Human, or Epic Boon Feat at 19), then you pick any kind. And spells basically work like subclasses - use the new one if it was updated, the old if not.
    That's what I get for not watching the video. I suppose that is the expected answer. What feats and spells make it into the PHB will be interesting then. With the roughly 100 feats and 500 existing spells, you are only going to fit chunks of those in the 75+ feats and 225+ spells they have talked about in the PHB. Ideally you would update the outliers on both ends of the spectrum in terms of power, but they may not work so hot on the feat side with what is supposed to be a setting agnostic book. Not to mention creating new feats/spells. Also, since it's a core book, the content should cater towards core needs, which the outliers may not be.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Spamalot in the Playground

I posted the new Crawford interviews over on DDB but forgot to do so here:

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralVryth View Post
    That's what I get for not watching the video. I suppose that is the expected answer. What feats and spells make it into the PHB will be interesting then. With the roughly 100 feats and 500 existing spells, you are only going to fit chunks of those in the 75+ feats and 225+ spells they have talked about in the PHB. Ideally you would update the outliers on both ends of the spectrum in terms of power, but they may not work so hot on the feat side with what is supposed to be a setting agnostic book. Not to mention creating new feats/spells. Also, since it's a core book, the content should cater towards core needs, which the outliers may not be.
    I wouldn't get too excited about the power adjustments. Treantmonk and d4 did a pair of videos today where they basically told us to temper our expectations about which outlier spells may have gotten fixed. They couldn't give specifics because the NDA is still running, but I'm guessing that stuff like Hallow and Simulacrum and even Shapechange might still be broken.

With that said, they did allude to things like Sharpshooter and GWM being better, and bonus action attacks being easier for everyone to come by without being pigeonholed into polearms and hand crossbows anymore. But also that attacking might not be the #1 thing everyone wants to use their bonus action to do now, which I found especially intriguing.
    Last edited by Psyren; Yesterday at 07:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I still staunchly disagree with him as far as making smite a spell. But otherwise, fine. It's easy enough to houserule around anyway.
    Insert Clever Signature Here