New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Question Starting HeroQuest later in the book - extra gold or starting package

Random HeroQuest question: If you want to start a group later in the dungeon, is there some sort of "wealth by level" equivalency to give them a chance, or are they good to just drop in as a starting character?

I've got the OG game from my childhood, and we've always tried to start from the beginning. But time and life always causes a longer break than we want, and somehow we keep losing the sheets/notes to pick up where we left off.

Is there some sort of expected amount of loot a group should have when starting at say Dungeon 8, or is it fine to just drop them in there and hope for the best?

Likewise, do you figure some sort of starting upgrade on custom maps, or just drop them in fresh and hope for the best?
    Last edited by AnonJr; 2024-06-17 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Title clarity

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Starting HeroQuest later in the book - extra gold or starting package

Quote Originally Posted by AnonJr View Post
    Random HeroQuest question: If you want to start a group later in the dungeon, is there some sort of "wealth by level" equivalency to give them a chance, or are they good to just drop in as a starting character?

I've got the OG game from my childhood, and we've always tried to start from the beginning. But time and life always causes a longer break than we want, and somehow we keep losing the sheets/notes to pick up where we left off.

Is there some sort of expected amount of loot a group should have when starting at say Dungeon 8, or is it fine to just drop them in there and hope for the best?

Likewise, do you figure some sort of starting upgrade on custom maps, or just drop them in fresh and hope for the best?
    Depends where you’re dropping them. The base game is pretty easy, but it does expect you to have some decent equipment as you go into the back half. If they’re starting around quest 4-5 or so they’ll probably be okay, dropping them in quest 8 is starting to get a bit scary. As I noted in the other thread, even an “easy” mission can go south if the dice turn against you.

A quick calculation looking at the quest book shows that by quest 8 the reward loot from chests and quest completion is around 1200 gold, or 300 per hero (400 if the Wizard donates his since he can’t use most equipment). That combination should be more than enough to get your heroes up to snuff, it allows for everyone to pick up some armor and a weapon, and if you also give any Artifacts found in those quests out there will be more extra gold to splash out for fancier gear like an axe or crossbow.

Heroes who adventured through normally would be better geared than that due to extra treasure found randomly, but honestly if the entire party is sitting at around 3 attack*/3 defend you shouldn’t have too much difficulty.

*wizard excluded

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Starting HeroQuest later in the book - extra gold or starting package

It would most likely be around the 7 - 9 spot, so I appreciate the rough formula.

Thank you.

I totally get the part about dice doing you in, and the skill of your players... ran the intro last weekend for my brother, my dad, and my aunt. People wandering in different directions should not be surprised at dying. Nor those who respond to "Are you sure you want to open the door?" with "By the way you're asking, I probably shouldn't. But I want to open it."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

My favorite from that quest was the Barbarian stepping on a spear trap, deciding “surely that was the only trap in the corridor” and immediately falling down a pit.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Last weekend's group was relatively new to the genre, much less the game itself. Dad and my brother were visiting from out of state, staying at my aunt's house to help her with some repairs. It's only 45 min from where I live, so I'd brought a literal bag full of board games to my aunt's house for some Father's Day gaming. HeroQuest was what we all eventually settled on.

My usual group, the one we're trying to figure a good formula for starting later in the book with, is too paranoid to split the group or venture anywhere without repeatedly looking at me and saying "I search for traps. You heard me search for traps. Did I find anything when I search for traps?"