New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Old School Essentials ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugwampy View Post
    I cannot comment on that . I am actually focused on the OSE basic .

Sooo does Adnd rules have rangers with favoured enemy ?
    Every edition has.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by paladinn View Post
    Every edition has.
    Except edition 0 and also 5th edition might as well be nothing.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

1e AD&D has "Giants" as a favored enemy, with giants typically including humanoids from hobgoblins up through bugbears and ogres and all the way up to actual giants (but not including titans, I think). Rangers inflict bonus damage against them. This ability is relevant at pretty much every level of the player, assuming the DM throws the right type of monsters at the PCs.

2e AD&D rangers must select a racial enemy before hitting 2nd level. They get +4 to hit and a +4 penalty to reactions with the selected race. This ability is extremely limited. Sure, you can choose whatever race you want, but it can't be changed, and it will be useless for most of your campaign. Pick something with relatively few HD and you'll probably stop encountering them after a few levels. Pick something with high HD, and you run the risk of the campaign not lasting long enough to reach the levels where you ever stand a chance of surviving an encounter with your chosen enemy.

3.X I think you get to choose a new enemy every four levels or so, making it useful at any level, again, pending monster selection by the DM.

4e I am unfamiliar with.

BECMI/RC doesn't have rangers.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2024-06-24 at 07:20 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pugwampy View Post
    Except edition 0 and also 5th edition might as well be nothing.
    5e I agree, unless you factor in the UA's and/or Tasha's.

BECMI had a "druidic knight" and a "forester" class that were both ranger-analogs. But you're right, neither had favored enemies.

Otherwise, FE was the cornerstone ranger ability (besides tracking) of Every edition, including the SR original version.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

3.X I think you get to choose a new enemy every four levels or so, making it useful at any level, again, pending monster selection by the DM.
    Pick favoured enemy undead and you got bonuses against every and any undead ever thought up . Woe to any DM who tells players its an undead campaign or curse of Strahd adventure .