New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 89 of 89
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Planeptune, Gamindustri
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Eat the monsters IC, Team A

    An enormous metropolis! Yorshka has not seen anything of its like, as she gazes upon the destruction imposed upon the ancient city. "What kind of civilisation dwelled here, I wonder?" They proceed, and again...

    "Just like before -- fire destroyed this area," Yorshka points out. "Was it a triggered trap, or are we following a fire-breathing quarry?"

    She kneels before the scorched mark to see if there's a common pattern with before.

    Perception - (1d20+6)[23]

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    namo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Eat the monsters IC, Team A

    For some reason she can't explain, Yarafel finds the atmosphere oppressive.
    Perhaps it's just claustrophobia.

    She soldiers on, keeping her eyes peeled.

    OOC: Perception 19 (taking 10)
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Greenflame133's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Eat the monsters IC, Team A

    Looking over the marks, Yorshka find they differ quite a bit. This one looks like flash from an incendiary weapon, while the one near vertical shaft was more similar to a house fire.

    As you press onward, the area is more and more destroyed. The walls and room give way to rubble. Eventually you encounter a light From a distance, you see a campfire and what looks to be 8 small creatures gather around it. Some kind of humanoid, maybe goblin or other. They seem to be cooking something in a large pot. Whatever conversion they had, quiets down, as they see your light.

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eat the monsters IC, Team A

    "We're outnumbered, but given their stature, we may have an advantage should the situation devolve into combat. I'd prefer to try a diplomatic approach rather than find out. I can speak Undercommon and a few other languages if it comes to it, but I'm no negotiator. What are your thoughts?" Hunter inquires to the group in a coarse whisper, easily heard among the group while hoping the sound doesn't carry as far as the small camping group.

    "Should we hail them?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Planeptune, Gamindustri
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Eat the monsters IC, Team A

    "Hmm. This burn mark was made by an incendiary weapon," Yorshka explains. "Keep an eye for any explosives or similar such substances, and we may yet glean an advantage."

    They proceed through, and eventually, come onto the campsite of another group. "I'm quite comfortable leading the conversation," Yorshka answers Hunter, "And they've spotted us anyhow. If language becomes a problem, I may need your assistance." She procures a plain bottle with a spritzer, and applies a perfume the fragrance of sandalwood.

    The white-garbed woman with the cat ears steps forward, arms spread with nothing on them -- she's unarmed, of course. "Hail, friends! My name is Yorshka, a fellow traveler of the dungeon, and these are my compatriots. We come in peace -- would you mind if we shared the fire, if only for some company?"

    (1d20+12)[24] Diplomacy!

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    namo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Eat the monsters IC, Team A

    At the mention of an incendiary device, Yarafel signals for the group to spread out.

    She herself has her weapon in hand at all times, but it is currently lowered in a non-threatening position.

    She waits to see how the creatures will answer.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Greenflame133's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Eat the monsters IC, Team A

    Yorshka greeting seems friendly, or at lest friendly enought for the tallest of the craters to lay down it spear and approach her. Moving about 10ft forward. It answers with in kind. "Greetings. I suppose we can share the fire, we have more than bought bat to share it too, but tell me. What are you doing in the Thi-ra city? And what dungeon do you speak of?" When they finish, their companion yell something in a foreign tongue.

    Spoiler: Yarafel
    Show
    These creatures are known as Kipza, they are something like a changeling, but rather than human and a hag, they are born of a goblin and a hag. Common folk have many tales about their wickedness

    Spoiler: Sylvan
    Show
    "Who are they? What are they saying? Boss?"

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Planeptune, Gamindustri
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Eat the monsters IC, Team A

    "I see, so this area is known to you as Thi-ra City? I myself am in pursuit of my daughter, who has unfortunately been kidnapped by ruffians. I imagine they have some kind of dungeon to lock her up in," Yorshka explains. "I'm certain that we can share some of our supplies as well and have a hearty meal."

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    namo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Eat the monsters IC, Team A

    As a show of goodwill, Yarafel translates the conversation in slightly halting Sylvan - hers is a bit rusty.
    Then:
    "Thank you for your generous offer. We'd be delighted to hear more about this place from knowledgeable people like you."

    She gestures quite urgently to her companions to come closer to listen to her:
    "These are Kipza. Let's not trust them too much. It's possible the folk lore is unjust to them, but let's err on the side of caution.

    You can take me as pretext, saying that my culture forbids 'stealing' light and heat from a fire... which is only somewhat true. And I'm the worst liar you've ever met, so I can't be the one telling this.
    "
    She whispers to avoid getting overheard.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eat the monsters IC, Team A

    Hunter grimaces, hiding the disappointment that his linguistic knowledge was of no help here and nods, indicating he is agreeable to sharing the fire and a meal with creatures.

    "It's prudent to be wary around new faces, but let's assess them by their actions, not their reputation. They laid down arms, so I doubt they wish for hostility." Hunter whispers back to Yorshka.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Greenflame133's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Eat the monsters IC, Team A

    "Ruffians, huh? Strange that they could bring her here, of all places. There is sure to be a dungeon in the fortress, but I thought they broke in there." The leader speaks more freely as they lead the group to the fire. The other Kipza are a bit whispering better themselves in Sylvan. "Toll man... sylvan... why." However, then the group approaches they pull their spears between their legs. laid on the ground. "We have been here for a while, so we might be able to tell you bit, but where did you come from?"

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Planeptune, Gamindustri
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Eat the monsters IC, Team A

    Yorshka takes Hunter and Yarafel's advice to mind, though she seems to be of a similar mind of wanting to judge by their actions. The information she divulges regardless she doesn't treat as particularly sensitive, given her mission - but she chooses to "The Cursebite have a gang patch, it looks something like this," Yorshka explains, rendering a simple sketch of the gang tattoo for them. "I'm unsure myself if they have an operation in here, or if they're just using this place as a hideout, but they're a bunch of no-gooders."

    Yorshka seats herself at the fire, looking to the rest of the group with a nod. "I was born in nearby Brightshard City, though I've chosen to live away from civilisation for quite a while. To be quite honest, if my daughter hadn't been spirited away, I would've just enjoyed my retirement in the woods."

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eat the monsters IC, Team A

    Hunter sits down and places his own spear between his legs in mimicry of the Kipza. "We came down from somewhere far above, all with personal motivations for coming here. Have you happened upon an Elf with a spear like mine during your time here?"

    Hunter isn't entirely comfortable around the Kipza strangers. He takes the waterskin off his belt and lifts it to his mouth, drinking just enough to slake his thirst, without taking his eyes off of the others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Greenflame133's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Eat the monsters IC, Team A

    "Far above? I don't know where that might be. The slimes control the woods, but it's a bit below us." The leader walks around, gathering as they talked. "An elf? I don't think I ever seen one, the rumor has it this used to be an elven city, but it's been ages"

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Planeptune, Gamindustri
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Eat the monsters IC, Team A

    "The slimes? Could you tell us more about them?" Yorshka asks, rather curious. "An elven city... curious. It doesn't look like it's been one for ages."

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eat the monsters IC, Team A

    Hunter looks somewhat dejected at the mention of yet more slimes. Ooze-type creatures lack hides and pelts, so Hunter never knows what to do with their remains other than leave them where they died. However, he got the answer to his question, so elects to listen rather than speak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Greenflame133's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Eat the monsters IC, Team A

    "In deed, a long time. Yet this place reeks of death. Quite a big area, but nobody claiming it. they say it's cursed." They finally sit down, looking into a pot a deciding to let boil for a bit longer. "The slimes are quite a cheerful bunch. Few of them even said they would trade if us, but we don't have much to offer"

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    namo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Eat the monsters IC, Team A

    Yarafel has stayed stiff throughout the conversation, having a hard time relaxing.
    But the last sentence gets to her, cracks the wall she has erected. She smiles in disbelief.
    "They are... cheerful? How can you tell? How do you communicate with them?"
    Last edited by namo; 2024-07-13 at 06:45 AM.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Planeptune, Gamindustri
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Eat the monsters IC, Team A

    "Cheerful slimes!" Yorshka, on the other hand, looks quite interested. "Do tell as well, that'd be quite the new experience for me."

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Greenflame133's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Eat the monsters IC, Team A

    "We don't always share language, but we usually do, be traders (common), lower folk (undercommon) and fey (sylvan)" The terms they use are a bit unusual, but you are able to think to understand.

    Lunette will be able to recognize that their Kipza are likely talking about Slimefolf, a sentient slime race able to take on humanoid forms. They are known for settling and thriving in extra environments.

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Planeptune, Gamindustri
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Eat the monsters IC, Team A

    "That's good to hear," Yorshka remarks, thinking of Yarafel's proficiency in Sylvan... at least, she assumes that's what Fey language meant. "What were they interested in trading, and so that we don't offend, what should we also keep in mind?"

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eat the monsters IC, Team A

    Hunter listens on silently. The Kipza don't appear to have information of personal relevance to him, but they have piqued his intellectual curiosity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Greenflame133's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Eat the monsters IC, Team A

    "Monster parts are all we ever had to offer. They are a cheerful folk, so I would not worry about other stuff."

    "So... tell me. there is some place height above here? What is like?"

    While she trikes to be sneaking, everyone expet Yorshka, will notice one of the Kipza trying to steal from hunters bag.

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eat the monsters IC, Team A

    Hunter turns towards the would-be Kipza thief, kicking his spear off the ground into his hands but not pointing it at anyone in particular and growls "What do you think you're doing?" to the Kipza messing with his bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    namo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Eat the monsters IC, Team A

    Yarafel still has her weapon in hand (though lowered), due to her locked gauntlet, so she makes no move for now.

    "Amongst the people of the surface, sharing a fire precludes stealing from one another" she states matter-of-factly, waiting to see if the scoundrels will apologize or double-down.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Greenflame133's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Eat the monsters IC, Team A

    The Kipza leader scolds the would be thief in sylvan before turning to the rest of you and speaking in common. "My apologies. Not used to friendly chatter. Let's eat an the we will be on our way." Wit hthat the leader turns to the pod, and start giving out bowls of soup. Trating the party first and then the other Kipza

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eat the monsters IC, Team A

    Hunter adjusts his bag, ensuring nothing is obviously missing. This time, though, he places his spear against his shoulder rather than between his feet, not quite ready to give up his defenses so readily.

    Though when the soup is offered, Hunter had to consider it. They'd only encountered an ooze which seemed unsafe to ingest, and he didn't have any rations. His stomach growled, hopefully not loudly enough to be noticed. After a deep breath Hunter speaks, no longer with the quite the same edge to his voice as before.

    "Do you have use for coin?" Hunter carefully uses his cloak to conceal the movement of his hand before producing a single golden coin. "As thanks for feeding us." he says in a bit more of a reserved tone as he presses it into the hand of the Kipza leader as he takes the bowl.

    Hunter takes a few moments to really sort through the odors from the soup, unsure if this will even be safe to eat. He waits to see if others eat before partaking.

    Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    (1d20+6)[12] - trying to determine if the Kipza have ill intention giving us food
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Planeptune, Gamindustri
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Eat the monsters IC, Team A

    Yorshka doesn't visibly react to the thief, as the leader already has the situation in motion. She noticed Hunter's hunger, and looked to the soup herself; with a nod to him, she procures a small bottle from her pack, then tries a bit of the soup. Now, what kind of flavours will she experience? "Thank you for the meal."

    Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Yorshka is setting aside one of her wismuth salix in case!

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Greenflame133's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Eat the monsters IC, Team A

    Hunter movements are perhaps a little ledd graceful then he would like, partly on account of his heavy armour. Kpiza leader of the coin. "Thank you. You shouldn't have, but we are in possession to refuse coming freely given."

    When it comes to edibility of the soup. It doesn't look good, it's mostly lean meat. that said, it looks save and Kpiza are quick to chow down on it.
    Last edited by Greenflame133; 2024-07-17 at 12:17 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •