New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default HiPS vs special senses?

If I've ogt Hide in Plain Sight, does my Hide skill help against say...a dragon's blindsight? Or another creature's tremorsense, or scent, or any other special ability to detect creatures? Or does Hide only work against things with eyes?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Re: HiPS vs special senses?

Only works against the standard vision types unless you have the Darkstalker Feat from Lords of Madness.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hide is opposed by spot checks; unless otherwise specified, hide doesn't work against things that don't require spot checks at all.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I'm at work and I can't check my books right now, but does Darkstalker negate ALL the special senses?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    I'm at work and I can't check my books right now, but does Darkstalker negate ALL the special senses?
    I believe so. I know Blindsight for sure as well as Tremor. I think it also covers scent, but not sure. It definately does nothing for Mindsight, also from LoM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-...arkstalker,LoM

That posted - it doesn't negate Mindsight feat.

Mr. Friendly Ninja!
    Last edited by Reinboom; 2007-12-18 at 06:05 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

It negates blindsense, blindsight, scent, and tremorsense. Others are not named.

A Dread Wraith could still sense you with lifesense, some other undead with similar powers too. There could exist other weird and rare senses that can help against Darkstalker but I don't know any more atm.

Edit: Ah, yes, forgot about Mindsight.
    Last edited by Amiria; 2007-12-18 at 06:11 PM.
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

The 6th level ability of the Slayer (AKA- Illithid Slayer) Cerebral Blind allows them to hide from Mindsight detection.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Cerebral Blind
    After reaching 6th level, a slayer is protected from all devices, powers, and spells that reveal location. This ability protects against information gathering by clairsentience powers or effects that reveal location.
    Last edited by Hyfigh; 2007-12-18 at 06:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Though, this is obviously a world in which Speak with Dead trivializes most murder investigations. It's not "Well, after spending an exhaustive amount of time searching the crime scene for evidence, I seem to have found some bat guano and- yadda yadda" it's "Steve did it. Go scry Steve"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amiria, Countess of Mispelling View Post
    It negates blindsense, blindsight, scent, and tremorsense.
    Right, but like, those 4 abilities cover 99% of monsters' special senses, so it should be fine.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amiria, Countess of Mispelling View Post
    A Dread Wraith could still sense you with lifesense, some other undead with similar powers too. There could exist other weird and rare senses that can help against Darkstalker but I don't know any more atm.
    Undead aren't really a big concern, as the 1st level spell Hide from Undead will prevent Extraordinary or Supernatural senses of undead from working where the target of this spell concerned. (Lifesense is a supernatural sensory capability.)

Mindsight is a problem without such an easy solution.