A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [Avatar d20 Project] Setting Main Hub

Added the Si Wong Desert. After this I'll have to start naming regions. I've listed the parts that are entirely my own creations and may be not only non-canon, but not really possible. On the other hand, I'm rather fond of them. So, your choice whether or not you want to use them in your campaign. Anyway, feel free to correct me on anything.
    Lao Tzu
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished.
    A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent upon arriving.

Samurai, Anachronisms, and Swords
    Spoiler
    Show

Builder of the:

Jomei, Wandering Miner (Now an avatar thanks to Nevitan)

Avatar: The Last Airbender fanfiction:
    Scorched Earth

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Maybe we should sort them on canon and non-canon places?

Any ideas on the gravitybending anyone?
    Last edited by felinoel; 2008-08-14 at 10:56 PM.

The Swashbuckling Jellyfish of Elan's Chaotic Conscience Fanclub

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

It seems to me, as I remarked earlier on that subject, that it would just be easier to include them all in the same place for ease of use and reference. It would be awfully tedious to have to flip back and forth between threads when wanting to read about settings.

And no, no ideas on gravitybending. I don't recall as I took much interest in it, though my interests in such areas do tend to be mostly confined to earthbending.
    Lao Tzu
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Builder of the:

Scorched Earth

4. - Top - End - #154

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zak Crimsonleaf View Post
    It seems to me, as I remarked earlier on that subject, that it would just be easier to include them all in the same place for ease of use and reference. It would be awfully tedious to have to flip back and forth between threads when wanting to read about settings.

And no, no ideas on gravitybending. I don't recall as I took much interest in it, though my interests in such areas do tend to be mostly confined to earthbending.
    Yes I agreed that that would be best earlier

Yea its really just the fine details of it, how much would you way is the max a human could weigh? And the min for an adult human, how much would you say that is?

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think it's really great that you've stepped up to the plate and started working on those place write-ups, Zak. That's real setting document meat and substance. I like your non-canon additions to the Si Wong desert, I think they're sensible and useful. By clearly marking them as non-canon in the document, DMs have the option to use, discard, or mutate them as they please...which is really what they should be doing with any setting element.

Would you be interested in some help or assistance with this project? I might be interested in contributing some write-ups myself. Send me a PM and we can talk.

To felinoel:

...The weight range is something like 85 lbs to 950 lbs, when you start figuring in anorexic people and morbidly obese people, and probably a bit beyond that when you start figuring in Guinness World Records.

You're probably better off looking at the average ranges, or what's listed on a BMI chart, or something.

Having you tried looking at Google or Wikipedia for this information? You're probably going to get better luck there instead of randomly asking us here in the setting main hub.

And what was your support for being able to increase gravity with Airbending, anyways? Specifically increase. When does that happen in the show? Or was this a non-canon project that you're asking about?
    Last edited by Zuki; 2008-08-15 at 09:15 AM.

Avatar adopted, courtesy of Mr_Saturn

6. - Top - End - #156
    Bugbear in the Playground

well, it wouldn't really be "gravity bending" it would just increased downward airpressure on someone or creating lifting pressure beneath them...
    Half-elves are like slinkies.
    They're not really good for anything,
    but you can't help laughing when they fall down the stairs.

7. - Top - End - #157

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zuki View Post
    I think it's really great that you've stepped up to the plate and started working on those place write-ups, Zak. That's real setting document meat and substance. I like your non-canon additions to the Si Wong desert, I think they're sensible and useful. By clearly marking them as non-canon in the document, DMs have the option to use, discard, or mutate them as they please...which is really what they should be doing with any setting element.

Would you be interested in some help or assistance with this project? I might be interested in contributing some write-ups myself. Send me a PM and we can talk.

To felinoel:

...The weight range is something like 85 lbs to 950 lbs, when you start figuring in anorexic people and morbidly obese people, and probably a bit beyond that when you start figuring in Guinness World Records.

You're probably better off looking at the average ranges, or what's listed on a BMI chart, or something.

Having you tried looking at Google or Wikipedia for this information? You're probably going to get better luck there instead of randomly asking us here in the setting main hub.
    Well I was just giving weights as an example of one of the last few things I need before its finished, but 1000 lbs to 50 lbs would be fine for that, thanks

And what was your support for being able to increase gravity with Airbending, anyways? Specifically increase. When does that happen in the show? Or was this a non-canon project that you're asking about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Shadow View Post
    well, it wouldn't really be "gravity bending" it would just increased downward airpressure on someone or creating lifting pressure beneath them...
    Well its not increasing that is canon, Aang was shown decreasing, I know you asked specifically for increasing but if one could make a force using air currents in an air shield to create something that appears as if he is decreasing gravity, then one can assume he can also do the same for increasing

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

8. - Top - End - #158

o.o like I said... increasing atmospheric pressure around them could simulate increased gravity

9. - Top - End - #159

Right. Alright, here's the final bad news. I am, as of now, off of the Avatar project. There are some problems that I would like to fix up (specifically with the Dai Li, the Earthquake seed, and the Lightning seed), but I know that as soon as I finish those, others will appear. Also, it's a shame that I won't be able to see the final incarnation of the item enhancement system paired with new wealth-by-level.

But in any case, school is starting soon, and I am alarmed by my recent tendency to check the GitP forums before checking my email, and by the fact that I finished the silver-based wealth-by-level system before I even got halfway through my first college application. In any case, I need to be off this project, sad as it may be. I might pop in occasionally, but don't count on it. It's been great homebrewing with all of you, and we've got a setting to be proud of just as it is, and getting better. Goodbye for now, and God bless.
    Water, Earth, Fire, and Air: Benders of the Avatar world
    Monks and Rangers for a non-magical world
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.
    Avatar By the amazing Mephibosheth

10. - Top - End - #160

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eighth_Seraph View Post
    Right. Alright, here's the final bad news. I am, as of now, off of the Avatar project. There are some problems that I would like to fix up (specifically with the Dai Li, the Earthquake seed, and the Lightning seed), but I know that as soon as I finish those, others will appear. Also, it's a shame that I won't be able to see the final incarnation of the item enhancement system paired with new wealth-by-level.

But in any case, school is starting soon, and I am alarmed by my recent tendency to check the GitP forums before checking my email, and by the fact that I finished the silver-based wealth-by-level system before I even got halfway through my first college application. In any case, I need to be off this project, sad as it may be. I might pop in occasionally, but don't count on it. It's been great homebrewing with all of you, and we've got a setting to be proud of just as it is, and getting better. Goodbye for now, and God bless.
    I set these threads to send me an email whenever someone makes a new post in it, thats easier for me then checking the forums every day, but good luck with college, I am about to finish my last year of it

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

11. - Top - End - #161

SwashbucklerGuy

http://felinoel.deviantart.com/art/T...r-Map-95026596
    http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/The_Wor...orld_of_Avatar

I finalized my world map, now it has all the canon locations listed as to where and what

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nice map. Sorry to hear that the progenitor has departed, hopefully they'll return someday. Anyway, something new to add. This next region covers the lands around Omashu. Hopefully I made the borders clear enough. As usual, tell me what you think. I'm open to suggestions.
    Lao Tzu
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Builder of the:

Scorched Earth

13. - Top - End - #163

SwashbucklerGuy

Nice map. Sorry to hear that the progenitor has departed, hopefully they'll return someday. Anyway, something new to add. This next region covers the lands around Omashu. Hopefully I made the borders clear enough. As usual, tell me what you think. I'm open to suggestions.
    Would you like a smaller, not covered in markers map to use to define the borders?

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

14. - Top - End - #164
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't think I have the software to trace borders even if I had the map. I'm not quite sure what it would take. Not that it wouldn't be handy, just that I don't know I could do it.
    Lao Tzu
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Builder of the:

Scorched Earth

15. - Top - End - #165

SwashbucklerGuy

I don't think I have the software to trace borders even if I had the map. I'm not quite sure what it would take. Not that it wouldn't be handy, just that I don't know I could do it.
    Well as long as you are using a PC I am positive you have the paint program, you could use that to make a sort of border, then send it to me and I cna make a better version of it if you want

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sure, that's better than nothing. Send me that smaller map, and I'll get right on it.
    Lao Tzu
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Builder of the:

Scorched Earth

17. - Top - End - #167

SwashbucklerGuy

Sure, that's better than nothing. Send me that smaller map, and I'll get right on it.
    http://images.wikia.com/avatar/image...World_002b.jpg

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

18. - Top - End - #168

I really like both Zak Crimsonleaf's area writeups and the newest version of felinoel's map. Nice work both of you!

Felinoel, I still think that your gravitybending idea is interesting but ultimately unappropriate for the setting. Maybe it's just the term "gravitybending," but it seems outside the scope of the airbender abilities we've seen depicted. Sure, Aang's levitated things with air currents and whatnot, but he's never used that ability to hinder an opponent's movements (other than blowing them backward) that I can remember. Also, it seems like the levitation abilities you mention seem easy to account for with Wind Shaping and other abilities. I like the idea for a non-canon game or a combination seed, but not as a class ability.

Finally, I just want to let you (and by "you" I mean "participants in the Avatar d20 project") that I've sent an email to someone at Nick who might be able to forward information about our project on to Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. My purpose was to make them aware of the project (particularly in light of the MMORPG that was announced) and possibly get some input, with no motives other than that. If anything developes, I'll let everyone know.

Mephibosheth
    The Scroungers Campaign Setting
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew
    A Zombiemageddon Campaign Journal!

19. - Top - End - #169

RedWizardGuy

If Nick, wanted to make an official game out of this, what would happen, would they take the info, and make it so people wouldn't be able to see it. Or would we still be able to look at all this great work.

20. - Top - End - #170

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mephibosheth View Post
    I really like both Zak Crimsonleaf's area writeups and the newest version of felinoel's map. Nice work both of you!

Felinoel, I still think that your gravitybending idea is interesting but ultimately unappropriate for the setting. Maybe it's just the term "gravitybending," but it seems outside the scope of the airbender abilities we've seen depicted. Sure, Aang's levitated things with air currents and whatnot, but he's never used that ability to hinder an opponent's movements (other than blowing them backward) that I can remember. Also, it seems like the levitation abilities you mention seem easy to account for with Wind Shaping and other abilities. I like the idea for a non-canon game or a combination seed, but not as a class ability.

Finally, I just want to let you (and by "you" I mean "participants in the Avatar d20 project") that I've sent an email to someone at Nick who might be able to forward information about our project on to Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. My purpose was to make them aware of the project (particularly in light of the MMORPG that was announced) and possibly get some input, with no motives other than that. If anything developes, I'll let everyone know.

Mephibosheth
    Well I am up for suggestions for a different name, and I thought it was a combination seed...

Quote Originally Posted by Imbasel View Post
    If Nick, wanted to make an official game out of this, what would happen, would they take the info, and make it so people wouldn't be able to see it. Or would we still be able to look at all this great work.
    Thats up to Nick
    Last edited by felinoel; 2008-08-20 at 03:57 PM.

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

21. - Top - End - #171
    Firbolg in the Playground

Nick would not make an official game out of this. You could:

- Get major people who worked on the project pulled for an official one (highly unlikely)
    - Get the backing of the creators (which would be pretty cool)

This is because:

- All of this information has been floating around free on the interwebs for a -long- time in various places.
    - An extremely large amount of people contributed to the project and tracking down all of them for permission to use their IP (especially if any of the threads have gone under) would be exceptionally difficult.
    - Dungeons and Dragons is targeted at an older demographic than Avatar is targeted at. (Any cartoon which is enjoyable by adults but not exclusively by them is marketed at kids. Kids buy more via whining than the D&D 15 to 33 bracket does.)
    - WotC is backing 4th edition, not 3rd. Regardless of your opinions on 4th and if you think it's going to eventually fail, it's certainly doing well enough for itself right now that the future of 3.x is uncertain. WotC represents the overwhelming majority of the RPG market, as Monte Cook has remarked before.
    Last edited by AstralFire; 2008-08-20 at 06:41 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    Nick would not make an official game out of this. You could:

- Get major people who worked on the project pulled for an official one (highly unlikely)
    - Get the backing of the creators (which would be pretty cool)

This is because:

- All of this information has been floating around free on the interwebs for a -long- time in various places.
    - An extremely large amount of people contributed to the project and tracking down all of them for permission to use their IP (especially if any of the threads have gone under) would be exceptionally difficult.
    - Dungeons and Dragons is targeted at an older demographic than Avatar is targeted at. (Any cartoon which is enjoyable by adults but not exclusively by them is marketed at kids. Kids buy more via whining than the D&D 15 to 33 bracket does.)
    - WotC is backing 4th edition, not 3rd. Regardless of your opinions on 4th and if you think it's going to eventually fail, it's certainly doing well enough for itself right now that the future of 3.x is uncertain. WotC represents the overwhelming majority of the RPG market, as Monte Cook has remarked before.
    What do you mean eventually going to fail, it already is a failure, besides most d20 systems I have seen are either in 3.0 or 3.5

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

23. - Top - End - #173

Quote Originally Posted by felinoel View Post
    What do you mean eventually going to fail, it already is a failure, besides most d20 systems I have seen are either in 3.0 or 3.5
    They recently ordered a second printing. That is far from anything approaching a clear failure. It is widely endorsed by independent media (the 4E marketing blitz got Penny Arcade and 8-Bit Theater on their side, which I'm very sure helps given the shared community they have with tabletop gamers.)The only thing that currently makes the situation ambiguous is the lightening of the GSL, but that's far from enough market data to state that 4E has inarguably failed. So no one's going to be putting out any 3E licensing right now.

The latter is due to the fact that those d20 adaptations weren't designed within the last year for the most part. (The most recent is SWSE which is a bit older than that, and represents several 4E mechanics as well as 3E.) It takes some time to come up with and perfect this material, and I'm sure a lot of license holders are waiting to see exactly how the dust settles as well.
    Last edited by AstralFire; 2008-08-20 at 06:58 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174

SwashbucklerGuy

They recently ordered a second printing. That is far from anything approaching a clear failure.

The latter is due to the fact that those d20 adaptations weren't designed within the last year for the most part. It takes some time to come up with and perfect this material, and I'm sure a lot of license holders are waiting to see exactly how the dust settles as well.
    I was just kidding with the first part, its an adequete game but a sigh goes to your response to my second part, because now if Nick does decide to make a d20 system, they might just make their own

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

25. - Top - End - #175

Quote Originally Posted by felinoel View Post
    I was just kidding with the first part, its an adequete game but a sigh goes to your response to my second part, because now if Nick does decide to make a d20 system, they might just make their own
    That is most likely, given the potential for hold-outs on IP rights as well as the fact that much of the information is currently widely dispersed for free. That does, of course, assume that they even deem there to be a sufficient market for such a thing. Like I said, Avatar's primary market is younger than D&D's, inherently limiting the market. That's one black mark. D&D is still saddled with some baggage the soccer mom that purchases things for the younger demographic is going to be wary of. Two black marks. The majority of official d20 adaptations are of things which are actually targeted at the 15 to 33 demographic originally.

26. - Top - End - #176

well, 4e is hardly DnD at all, they've changed it so much. But that's not what this topic is for.

Nick would probably not do anything with it, though they might send the note on to the creators. I have some friends that have written in to TV shows and have gotten responses from the hosts or writers. So, who knows, even them responding and saying "good job" or "looks cool" would be nice wouldn't it?

27. - Top - End - #177

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Shadow View Post
    well, 4e is hardly DnD at all, they've changed it so much. But that's not what this topic is for.

Nick would probably not do anything with it, though they might send the note on to the creators. I have some friends that have written in to TV shows and have gotten responses from the hosts or writers. So, who knows, even them responding and saying "good job" or "looks cool" would be nice wouldn't it?
    Plus it would be excellent to put on the main page of the site

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

That is most likely, given the potential for hold-outs on IP rights as well as the fact that much of the information is currently widely dispersed for free. That does, of course, assume that they even deem there to be a sufficient market for such a thing. Like I said, Avatar's primary market is younger than D&D's, inherently limiting the market. That's one black mark. D&D is still saddled with some baggage the soccer mom that purchases things for the younger demographic is going to be wary of. Two black marks. The majority of official d20 adaptations are of things which are actually targeted at the 15 to 33 demographic originally.
    Although there is always the off chance that they will use a different rule-set. GURPS and World of Darkness are the main competitors, and therefore the most likely rule sets to be used other than d20. However the soccer mom that purchases things for the younger demographic is not going to be happy about finding a link between the Avatar game and World of Darkness. Lets face it, for those of you with kids would you want your 6-7 year old reading and playing that? GURPS could very well work though. Of course I'm going to hope for the impossible, and that they make it with the Fudge rules, thus bringing Fudge into the public eye and finally getting it quite a few players. Spirit of the Century traces back to it, and might just be big enough to give this a slight chance. A very slight chance.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

29. - Top - End - #179

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Although there is always the off chance that they will use a different rule-set. GURPS and World of Darkness are the main competitors, and therefore the most likely rule sets to be used other than d20. However the soccer mom that purchases things for the younger demographic is not going to be happy about finding a link between the Avatar game and World of Darkness. Lets face it, for those of you with kids would you want your 6-7 year old reading and playing that? GURPS could very well work though. Of course I'm going to hope for the impossible, and that they make it with the Fudge rules, thus bringing Fudge into the public eye and finally getting it quite a few players. Spirit of the Century traces back to it, and might just be big enough to give this a slight chance. A very slight chance.
    Or they might just ignore us completely

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

30. - Top - End - #180

Just a quick note. I'm not really expecting anything substantial to come of the email I sent. I did not in any way ask for them to endorse an official version of Avatar d20 or create a purchase-able product. I simply thought that we put a lot of work into creating a system that represents the world they'd created, and thought they might be interested, particularly since there was an Avatar MMORPG announced recently. Like most of you, I don't think anything other than possibly a brief note will come of this, I just wanted to make everyone aware of it.

Mephibosheth
    The Scroungers Campaign Setting
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew
    A Zombiemageddon Campaign Journal!