New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: FR overpowered?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default FR overpowered?

In the Battle of the Earths thread the characters on the FR material plane are battling Tolkein's Middle Earth and are losing!
    We need some people with lots of FR and D&D optimization knowledge to show that FR is the higher powered world!
    Last edited by GoC; 2007-12-24 at 08:50 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: D&D experts and FR experts needed!

Bring out the epic bartenders, and have the epic spellcasters create a spell that lets them destroy Middle earth whole!

Or bring Incantatrix's.

Edit: That aside, if you can make any portals from Middle Earth be redirected to Undermountain, you'll win lots of time and cause casualties. Also consider sending them to the tundra, and paying the thayan mages to involve them in the war. If you can get Drow to have a go at the elves, go for it too.
    Last edited by Azerian Kelimon; 2007-12-24 at 08:43 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

bring out the gods, times of troubles wuld make them on faerun. Or bring out Elminster, Drizzts, Queen of evermeet, Evermeet army, Rashimen beserkers, a couple great wyrm dragons, and thats the start.
    Spoiler
    Show

sig by Bitzeralisis

Old Avatar by Simius

new Avatar by Qwernt

Tiger Paladin of HALO

4. - Top - End - #4

Default Re: FR overpowered?

Or, bring out the most powerful being ever, which can exist naturally only on FR:

Pun-Pun.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by de-trick View Post
    bring out the gods, times of troubles wuld make them on faerun. Or bring out Elminster, Drizzts, Queen of evermeet, Evermeet army, Rashimen beserkers, a couple great wyrm dragons, and thats the start.
    I don't know about any of those!
    Couldt you present your case in the thread?

Azerian Kelimon: Heh. Unfortunately a "no omnipotent beings" rule is in effect.
    Last edited by GoC; 2007-12-24 at 09:07 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Hey, if Franklin can play, why can't ol P?

In any case, if that's not allowed, use one epic spell to bring the Mortiverse to you. He's just that dang powerful, though good luck making him leave.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Azerian Kelimon View Post
    Hey, if Franklin can play, why can't ol P?

In any case, if that's not allowed, use one epic spell to bring the Mortiverse to you. He's just that dang powerful, though good luck making him leave.
    Franklin wasn't allowed either.
    Which epic spell?
    Last edited by GoC; 2007-12-24 at 09:13 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Cast Major Creation and summon Antimatter onto Middle Earth.

It's in my sig.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, middle earth is a really, really low magic setting. So try sending some well made wizards at them. Show Gandalf a little competition, cast some fireballs, a cloudkill or two, maybe teleport around some. Hell, I think the scene right before Moria proves that Black Tentacles is capable of giving the fellowship a run for their money, imagine if they were getting sneak attacked and/or spike chained the whole time as well?
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GoC View Post
    In the Battle of the Earths thread the characters on the FR material plane are battling Tolkein's Middle Earth and are losing!
    We need some people with lots of FR and D&D optimization knowledge to show that FR is the higher powered world!
    But it isn't. The Imperium of Man would glass/virus bomb/totally destroy Abeir-Toril before any of the inhabitants even knew what was going on.

I mean, it's certainly higher powered than Middle Earth, but in the context of that thread it doesn't even matter because of how much they're both outclassed by both Coruscant and Holy Terra.
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2007-12-24 at 09:36 PM.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Wouldn't Fly + Protection from Arrows(archers) + Contingent Teleport(dragons/etc) beat anything ME could throw at a FR mage? And what if said mage got epic levels?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

there loosing cause they just cant compare to gods and demi-gods (maiar and valar)

if you take those away then ME would (sadly) lose.
    _i_
    llllll Cake?

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    But it isn't. The Imperium of Man would glass/virus bomb/totally destroy Abeir-Toril before any of the inhabitants even knew what was going on.
    Faerun has a space army if we got dragons from faerun to krynn, we can send dragons to attack the deathstar.
    Spoiler
    Show

sig by Bitzeralisis

Old Avatar by Simius

new Avatar by Qwernt

Tiger Paladin of HALO

14. - Top - End - #14

Faerun has a space army if we got dragons from faerun to krynn, we can send dragons to attack the deathstar.
    This doesn't even make any sense.

First, Krynn doesn't even enter into the equation.

Second, who the heck said anything about the Death Star?

Third, dragons need to breathe.

Fourth, even if they didn't and the Death Star was somehow present, they couldn't do anything significant to damage it, at least not in time to prevent it from firing.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

15. - Top - End - #15

1)No krynn doesn't but 3 faerun dragon went through space somehow and got to krynn, meaning dragons can go in space(could have been through magic)

2)sorry thought we had starwars in there somewhere, also when you here planet destruction you think Deathstar

3)Not with magic

4)acid would melt metal, lighting short circuit, fire burn spaceship, cold freeze it.
    Spoiler
    Show

sig by Bitzeralisis

Old Avatar by Simius

new Avatar by Qwernt

Tiger Paladin of HALO

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

1)No krynn doesn't but 3 faerun dragon went through space somehow and got to krynn, meaning dragons can go in space(could have been through magic)

2)sorry thought we had starwars in there somewhere, also when you here planet destruction you think Deathstar

3)Not with magic

4)acid would melt metal, lighting short circuit, fire burn spaceship, cold freeze it.
    1. Bhu wha? Dragons are living creatures, and need to therefore breathe. One would imagine, based on the vague description, that your dragons didn't fly to Krynn. Most likely they employed some portal in the sky, since it is impossible to fly from one Prime Material Plane to another in the D&D cosmology. Furthermore, there are more concerns in space than simply breathing; assuming they all have the foresight to shield themselves from the intense cold, there is no spell in D&D that lets the caster control the pressure of their environment. So, dragon flies into space, dragon pops like a balloon, spewing gases in all directions as the pressure in its body equalizes with zero.

2. An Imperial Armada capable of performing an Exterminatus makes the Death Star look like an adorable sneeze.

3. See number 1.

4. Assuming that the dragons somehow survived in space long enough to fight, they would be long dead before getting close enough to attack. Such a fleet would have a ship, if not a number of them, that a dragon would fit in the main cannon of and such ships are designed to fire at hundreds of kilometers due to the necessity of ship combat. The Impergium of Man would simply glass such an obviously heretical world.

17. - Top - End - #17

Not a problem, guys. The super Locate city shows itself as being more than on par with the Exterminatus.

18. - Top - End - #18

On the subject of the OP, though, this situation shouldn't be happening unless the people having the discussion simply don't know what they are talking about. Faerun magic trumps ME magic with barely any effort. A group of mid to high level wizards and clerics crush any army from ME and leave the "Fellowship" choking to death in a pool of their own blood. The only thing ME could pull off would be its propensity for Deus Ex Machina, a characteristic of poor writing.

19. - Top - End - #19

Not a problem, guys. The super Locate city shows itself as being more than on par with the Exterminatus.
    Super Locate city?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Don't forget all the weird space dragons. I don't think they were ever brought into 3x but they naturally exist in space and make gold dragons look like baby lizards.
    Buying a magical sword-

(Merchant)- This blade has bathed in the blood of dragons!

(PC)- But it's USED!

21. - Top - End - #21

This link might help:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archi...p/t-60534.html

Put enough boosts on INT and the Reflex save WILL be failed.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Caxton View Post
    Don't forget all the weird space dragons. I don't think they were ever brought into 3x but they naturally exist in space and make gold dragons look like baby lizards.
    Hmm. Well, I'm not sure you could use such a thing in this discussion, but sure, let's go with it. Super Space Dragons destroy Imperial Fleet. Eventually word gets back to someone in the Impergium with enough power to fill the solar system with ships. Such action is taken, since the Impergium is not above simply throwing men at a problem until its gone. Drawing resources from over 1,000,000 worlds goes a long way.

23. - Top - End - #23

This link might help:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archi...p/t-60534.html

Put enough boosts on INT and the Reflex save WILL be failed.
    Again, Super Locate City does nothing to planets or space ships. It only works on creatures. You should go read Born of the Three Thunders and Explosive Spell.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

24. - Top - End - #24

I'm working on that. Give me some time to think it out.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by graymachine View Post
    On the subject of the OP, though, this situation shouldn't be happening unless the people having the discussion simply don't know what they are talking about. Faerun magic trumps ME magic with barely any effort. A group of mid to high level wizards and clerics crush any army from ME and leave the "Fellowship" choking to death in a pool of their own blood. The only thing ME could pull off would be its propensity for Deus Ex Machina, a characteristic of poor writing.
    Forgotten Realms crushes Middle Earth handily, yes (although the Middle Earth people are invoking the vaguely-defined and generally unknown powers of the Valar and Maia taking an active hand in the fight to compensate). It's not just Realms vs. Tolkien, tho; the thread's premise is a four-way free-for-all between the Realms, Middle Earth, and Terra (Warhammer 40k) and Coruscant (Star Wars). Middle Earth and the Realms have a lot of work to do to come up with any reasonable counter to planets from settings that have the ability to fairly trivially render other planets into asteroid clouds.

26. - Top - End - #26

I'm working on that. Give me some time to think it out.
    There isn't any way.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Forgotten Realms crushes Middle Earth handily, yes (although the Middle Earth people are invoking the vaguely-defined and generally unknown powers of the Valar and Maia taking an active hand in the fight to compensate). It's not just Realms vs. Tolkien, tho; the thread's premise is a four-way free-for-all between the Realms, Middle Earth, and Terra (Warhammer 40k) and Coruscant (Star Wars). Middle Earth and the Realms have a lot of work to do to come up with any reasonable counter to planets from settings that have the ability to fairly trivially render other planets into asteroid clouds.
    Epic spell cheese FTW. With prep and a DM willing to let you do anything that the letter of the rules allows, there's nothing epic magic can't do.

(Except defeat Pun-Pun.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Made you look.

28. - Top - End - #28

Yeah, tyckspoon, I've switched over to the other thread. Just kind of waiting until someone can come up with a half-decent reason why anyone but the IoM would win. Some people seem to think they do, but apparently they don't realize the numbers and weapons involved, not to mention what fanatical means in WH 40K.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Let's see... ME is easy enough to slaughter. On the other hand, if FR and ME joined forces, the firepower involved with ME's DM fiat's would be sufficient to destroy the armies of 40K. SW might be a slight difficulty. Considering their psionics, and brilliant energy weapon wielding ground forces.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Let's see... ME is easy enough to slaughter. On the other hand, if FR and ME joined forces, the firepower involved with ME's DM fiat's would be sufficient to destroy the armies of 40K. SW might be a slight difficulty. Considering their psionics, and brilliant energy weapon wielding ground forces.
    You say WH40k would be a push-over, while Star Wars might have a chance on basis of psionics (of which WH40k has much more and much stronger ones than SW) and energy weapon wielding ground forces (of which WH40k has much more and much stronger ones than SW)?
    Something's not right about this logic...
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll