New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default TWF with a shield

If one wanted to TWF with a heavy shield, is there a feat out there that would treat the heavy shield as a light weapon? Or a feat that allows someone to TWF with two nonlight weapons?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: TWF with a shield

Quote Originally Posted by Godric View Post
    If one wanted to TWF with a heavy shield, is there a feat out there that would treat the heavy shield as a light weapon? Or a feat that allows someone to TWF with two nonlight weapons?
    you can TWF with nonlight weapons, you just take a slightly bigger penalty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Sorry, I mean with a -2/-2 penalty, not -4/-4

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Oversized Two Weapon Fighting from... Complete Adventurer.
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

There's a feat in the PH2 specifically for this. I don't remember exactly what it's called though. It's off of the Shield Specialization tree.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Agile Shield Fighting.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Ocato got to it before me, Oversize TWF. It's a tossup between Oversize and Agile Shield. If you have good stats, Oversize will get you there faster. You need 13 Str and TWF (which itself requires 15 Dex, unless you have it from Ranger or something like that) to get it. Agile Shield Fighter has two feats as Prereqs (shield Spec. and Imp shield bash). Personaly I'd go for Oversize, since it's a bit more versatile. You can use any one-handed weapon, not just a shield.

EDIT: Make sure you put spikes on that shield, btw.
    Last edited by Telonius; 2007-12-28 at 01:33 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

You need Improved Shield Bash to not lose your shield bonus when using it as a weapon. Then, as Cybren said, the Agile Shield Fighter (I think that improved shield bashing is a prerequisite), that allows you to attack with both weapon and shield with the normal -2/-2, regardless of size (you still can't bash with a tower shield), and doesn't have Dex requisite.
    But if you have good Dex, and want better TWF options, you could get the Oversized TWF, and the rest of the tree. I don't remember if TWDefense stacks with actual shields, though.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah the thing is i doubt dex is a high priority for a sword and board fighter

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you don't have the feat, you could also take a light weapon as your primary hand weapon (such as a shortsword or hand axe) and thus fill the one handed + light requirements of -2/-2

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

All I can contribute is that one of my players once played a palladin/knight who wend sword and board and couldn't decide on what feats to take. So he went with TWF / Imp. Shield Bash / Shield Spec. (tree from PHBII) and he completely loved it. Not really optimized mind you, but he had a great time playing it. I'm a full supporter of the sword and board build.

JP
    Thanks to DarkCorax for the "Gnome Wizard", which holds a special place in my heart as it's the first DnD character I'd ever made.

Live everyday like it's your last and one day, you'll be right.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by spotmarkedx View Post
    If you don't have the feat, you could also take a light weapon as your primary hand weapon (such as a shortsword or hand axe) and thus fill the one handed + light requirements of -2/-2
    This is a good idea, especially if you have combat expertise (I like it for sword and board). That way you can pick up deadly defense for an extra 1d6 damage when fighting defensively or combat expertising.
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jpbooth View Post
    All I can contribute is that one of my players once played a palladin/knight who wend sword and board and couldn't decide on what feats to take. So he went with TWF / Imp. Shield Bash / Shield Spec. (tree from PHBII) and he completely loved it. Not really optimized mind you, but he had a great time playing it. I'm a full supporter of the sword and board build.

JP
    Mike Mearls posted something in EnWorld about improving sword&board style and making it "as optimized" as big-weapon style.

At least for me, thats another good reason not to discount 4e
    Last edited by Amphimir Míriel; 2007-12-28 at 02:41 PM.
    -

Is it evil, Evil, Evil or EVIL?
    Expanded Alignment Rules (PEACH)

-

Playing a Paladin? Don't fall into the traps of casuistry or excessive rigourism!

Instead of that, read Peregrine's lesson

-

"It's almost like the universe is trying to deliberately force some form of arbitrary equality between those of us who can reshape matter with our thoughts and those who cannot!"