New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Challenge rating

I can't, for the life of me, work out what ECL my BBEG wizard needs to be to be challenge rating 5.

It's my first serious campaign, and could someone tell me how to work out what ECL something needs to be for a certain challenge rating?
    Round Four: Eat Brains.
    SPLAT!
    Cheers for the avvy, Rincewind

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Challenge rating

For NPCs, ignore Level Adjustment. Completely. If the character in question has no templates and no Racial Hit Dice, and all his levels are in PC classes, then his CR is equal to his Character Level. Human Wizard 5 = CR 5. Hobgoblin Wizard 5 = CR 5.

If he has a template, the template will say how much it adds to the CR. Half-Fiend Hobgoblin Wizard 4 = CR 5. Half-Fiend Hobgoblin Wizard 5 = CR 7.

If he has Racial Hit Dice (RHD), see these rules. Ogre Wizard 4 = CR 5. Ogre Wizard 9 = CR 10.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2008-01-04 at 06:04 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Could be many things, really.

A Human Adept 10 (ECL 10), a Human Wizard 5 (ECL 5), and a Celestial Fiendish Vampire Half-Red Dragon Human Sorcerer 1 (ECL 16) are all technically CR 5.

ECL and CR have very little to do with each other.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

If you want a CR 5 Wizard, I'd suggest going with a level 7 Wizard. CR of NPCs is overrated by the official rules.

5. - Top - End - #5

I swear I used a challenge rating calculator somewhere, you put in the race and class of the foe and it worked out the CR.

Does anyone know where I could find this calculator, if it even exists?
    Last edited by Lolzords; 2008-01-04 at 06:16 PM.
    Round Four: Eat Brains.
    SPLAT!
    Cheers for the avvy, Rincewind

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Witch View Post
    If you want a CR 5 Wizard, I'd suggest going with a level 7 Wizard. CR of NPCs is overrated by the official rules.
    The level 7 wizard opens with Confusion. Half the party, if not three-quarters, fails the save. They start hitting each other, and people wind up dead.

Alternatively, he opens with Greater Invisibility, and killing him just got MUCH harder. Especially if his second spell is Fly. Heck, the fifth-level wizard can open with Fly, then cast nothing but damage, and inflict more than his CR's worth of resource drain.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Lorelei View Post
    The level 7 wizard opens with Confusion. Half the party, if not three-quarters, fails the save. They start hitting each other, and people wind up dead.

Alternatively, he opens with Greater Invisibility, and killing him just got MUCH harder. Especially if his second spell is Fly. Heck, the fifth-level wizard can open with Fly, then cast nothing but damage, and inflict more than his CR's worth of resource drain.
    And if the wizard loses initiative, the party charges and kills him in a single round.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

And if the wizard loses initiative, the party charges and kills him in a single round.
    A problem shared just the same by a level 7 wizard. In fact, a problem shared by almost all solo monsters.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Yup, this can always happen.

Like when one of my DM setting us up for a dramatic moment where we had managed to be going up (we were 3 level 8's) against a near epic level rogue in a cut-scene-esque battle.

Lets just say it went..
    DM: the but grinning and twirling the golden dagger between her fingers, obvoiusly toying with you-

Wizard; Suggestion
    Cleric; Hold Person
    Fighter; Coup de grace
    Party; NEXT!
    DM; o.0

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Yeril View Post
    Wizard; Suggestion
    Cleric; Hold Person
    Fighter; Coup de grace
    Party; NEXT!
    DM; o.0
    Yes, of course. If an NPC is going to toy with a full armed adventure party within arms reach he should pay the price. Don't make your intelligent npcs dumb. Remember: there is no such thing as a fair fight.
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Unless, of course, the fight is too far away for that to be an option. "50% chance of a couple of people dying" isn't exactly CR-appropriate. What's more, a wizard who's initiating hostilities might be flying or invisible before the fight.

What's more, a level 7 wizard doesn't have enough HP over a level 5 one to prevent him from being splattered if a Fighter and a Barbarian charge him when he's defenseless.