New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Forging with silver

I'm running a monk in a 3.0 campaign. Currently he's level 4 and there's a good chance he'll be fighting an imp in the near feature so I wanted a silver weapon to fight with. He has weapon proficiency: unarmed (and a higher DEX score than STR) so I figured a silver gauntlet would be the way to go. My monk has some ranks in craft: weapons so I figured it might be cheaper to forge a set himself. However, I can't work out how much the base cost for silver gauntlets would be. I'm not sure if the DC would be higher than forging a regular set of gauntlets either. I'm also not sure how I factor in the cost. Given a craft skill of 3 (and taking 10 for the skill roll), I'd be able to make a regular set of gauntlets in under a day.

Since I'm working with silver though, I don't know if I simply increase the materials cost of the item but take the same amount of time or if I have to use the new value of the item and increase the production time accordingly. I'm not sure what the value of silver gauntlets are either. A silver dagger is 10 gold vs a regular dagger costing 2 gold. Regular gauntlets are 2 gold also, so would silver gauntlets also cost 10 gold?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Forging with silver

Adding the Silver property to a Light Weapon adds 20 gp to the base price. Gauntlets, however, are filed under "unarmed attacks" rather than Light Weapons. However, since an unarmed strike is itself considered a light weapon, you can probably infer that gauntlets are as well, in every respect that matters, so I'd say 22 gp.

Not sure where you're getting that a Silver Dagger is 10 gp. By my calculations, it should also be 22 gp, and the price of the Silver Dagger, Masterwork backs me up.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-01-05 at 03:05 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Not sure where you're getting that a Silver Dagger is 10 gp. By my calculations, it should also be 22 gp, and the price of the Silver Dagger, Masterwork backs me up.
    I'm getting it from the players handbook. Remember that I'm talking about a campaign under 3.0 rules, not 3.5 rules.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Just apply Silversheen to your fists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

That's outside of my budget and would only work for a short time. I might consider it for a higher level devil, but for a mere imp I wouldn't bother.