New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Maximum Negative LA

Ok, so I was reading through the Crystal Keep indexes, and I noticed a creature with a negative Level Adjustment (Xvart from DR339 p64). It has a -2 LA, which raises the question how does a negative LA work? I believe that it means that you can take other templates to balance out your LA back to 0, but I have no RAW to support that at this time.
    What I really want to know, is how can I maximize my negative LA? I have come up with a Incarnet Construct Effigy Xvart, which yields a -4 LA. Can you come up witha way to get more? and how can we abuse this?
    Last edited by WorthingSon; 2008-01-10 at 02:11 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Maximum Negative LA

Quote Originally Posted by WorthingSon View Post
    Ok, so I was reading through the Crystal Keep indexes, and I noticed a creature with a negative Level Adjustment (Xvart from DR339 p64). It has a -2 LA, which raises the question how does a negative LA work? I believe that it means that you can take other templates to balance out your LA back to 0, but I have no RAW to support that at this time.
    What I really want to know, is how can I maximize my negative LA? I have come up with a Incarnet Construct Effigy Xvart, which yields a -4 LA. Can you come up witha way to get more? and how can we abuse this?
    This is Crystal Keep we are talking about. When you see such a massive oddity, it is almost 100% certainly a typo rather than RAW.

3. - Top - End - #3

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by RandomFellow View Post
    This is Crystal Keep we are talking about. When you see such a massive oddity, it is almost 100% certainly a typo rather than RAW.
    Point taken, but my question still stands... you could just make a Incarnet Construct Effigy Human and get a -2 LA... so how would that work? and can you come up with a way to increase/abuse that?
    Last edited by WorthingSon; 2008-01-10 at 02:16 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Well considering incarnate construct doesn't let you reduce your level adjustment below 0 I'd say it's pretty hard to abuse.

5. - Top - End - #5

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Tira View Post
    Well considering incarnate construct doesn't let you reduce your level adjustment below 0 I'd say it's pretty hard to abuse.
    Not really, it's all in the order in which you apply the tmeplates. Lets use winged for example (+2 LA). Ok, start with human (0 LA), add winged (2 LA), add effigy (0 LA), and then incarnate construct (-2 LA). Which brings us back to 0 LA... TaDa!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Not really, it's all in the order in which you apply the tmeplates. Lets use winged for example (+2 LA). Ok, start with human (0 LA), add winged (2 LA), add effigy (0 LA), and then incarnate construct (-2 LA). Which brings us back to 0 LA... TaDa!
    Except that effigies have LA - not LA 0, so that doesn't work either.

7. - Top - End - #7

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Tira View Post
    Except that effigies have LA - not LA 0, so that doesn't work either.
    Says what? The entry in Complete Arcane is listed as "-"...

I see what you are saying now. But LA - mean no change unless I am mistaken...
    Last edited by WorthingSon; 2008-01-10 at 02:53 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Says what? The entry in Complete Arcane is listed as "-"...

I see what you are saying now. But LA - mean no change unless I am mistaken...
    You are mistaken. LA - means the creature or template is not suitable for PCs, and thus no LA is provided for it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Right. LA - means unplayable, like beholders and the Tarrasque. Occasionally, a monster that would be playable if it didn't have such high HD is given LA - (a lot of MM outsiders are perfectly viable, but would have ECL well over 20, so they don't give a level adjustment), but the later books tend to give level adjustments for whatever's playable.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!