New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Best Enhancement for a +2 Sickle

Hey all!

In your opinion, what would be the best enhancement for a halfling cleric wielding a +2 sickle? I'm trading in a scimitar of spell-storing (+2 equivalent weapon) for a +2 sickle. My halfing cleric has a 14 Str (unbuffed) and of course is wielding the small sickle (1d4 / 20 / x2).

The Magic Item Compendium and DMG are available. We're playing in Eberron, so those books are available as well. Should I get a straight up +2 sickle, or +1 flaming sickle, or a +1 lucky sickle? I mention the lucky enhancement (reroll on attack roll per day) because he's a follower of Olladra, Goddess of Luck and he's got the Luck domain.

I'm not sure about an enhancement like Heavenly Burst (+3d6 vs. evil on a critical) because the weapon has a critical range of 20. It won't happen very often. What do you all think?

Thanks for your time and I'm looking forward to hearing the suggestions!

Take care,

Dizlag

EDIT: Added comment and question about enhancements activating on critical hits.
    Last edited by Dizlag; 2008-01-13 at 02:38 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Best Enhancement for a +2 Sickle

Well, spell-storing is one of the best +1 enhancements out there...

Otherwise, Magebane (CArc) is top notch. I'm a fan of Lucky, mostly because I love having second chances.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Best Enhancement for a +2 Sickle

I like the +1 Lucky Sickle, if just because it fits with the character's theme. Of course, if you're only rolling 1d4 for damage, hitting or not isn't going to do a lot of good without something to add on. In that case, Flaming/Shocking/Frost or even just a straight +2 enhancment might be better.
    Now, Heavenly Burst I can definitely go against, probably. It'd be great to get super-extra-bonus-damage on a critical hit (especially considering the kind of damage you'd do without it) but a range of 20 makes it unlikely that you'll get a critical hit very often.

If I had to pick one, I'd go with the +1 Lucky Sickle. It's not bad exactly, just not very efficient. Anyway, as a Halfling Cleric you should be casting spells more than getting into melee combat, but that might not be the way you play.
    Working on a campaign world or adventure and need feedback?
    Check out this site.

Truth

Quote Originally Posted by Talya
    Anyone casting a ninth level spell should not be just bending the fabric of reality, but chewing up the fabric of reality and spitting it out. It represents an expenditure of raw magical force that should be momentous, and should have similar shock value as the events following Grand Moff Tarkin's "You may fire when ready."