New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Noctumancer Questions

Alright, so I have a few questions about the noctumancer class from Tome of Magic.

#1. The noctumancers starting ability, Capture Magic's Shadow, enhances your caster level after successfully dispelling a spell/mystery. If you use the Area Dispel function of Dispel Magic do you add the caster level multiple times or do you just use the highest level spell?

#2. This isn't so much a question about the noctumancer so much as it's question about hybrid spellcasters (mystic theurge) in general. A wizard/shadowcaster qualifies for the noctumancer class at a total level of 6. Now lets say I stop advancing the wizard or shadowcaster completely at go straight through and master the noctumancer class. At the point I'd be a Wizard3/Shadowcaster3/Noctumancer10 and have 4 levels left over to advance. If I chose to advance the wizard or shadowcaster to level five, world I cast spells/mysteries as a 15th level wizard/shadowcaster or a level 13 wizard/shadowcaster?
    Add me on Steam!
    Steam ID: tfblackdrop

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Noctumancer Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris_Shadowblade View Post
    Alright, so I have a few questions about the noctumancer class from Tome of Magic.

#1. The noctumancers starting ability, Capture Magic's Shadow, enhances your caster level after successfully dispelling a spell/mystery. If you use the Area Dispel function of Dispel Magic do you add the caster level multiple times or do you just use the highest level spell?
    I would rule Highest level spell, to avoid cheese (500 level 1 spells, all dispelled at the same time? Winner!)
    #2. This isn't so much a question about the noctumancer so much as it's question about hybrid spellcasters (mystic theurge) in general. A wizard/shadowcaster qualifies for the noctumancer class at a total level of 6. Now lets say I stop advancing the wizard or shadowcaster completely at go straight through and master the noctumancer class. At the point I'd be a Wizard3/Shadowcaster3/Noctumancer10 and have 4 levels left over to advance. If I chose to advance the wizard or shadowcaster to level five, world I cast spells/mysteries as a 15th level wizard/shadowcaster or a level 13 wizard/shadowcaster?
    Your levels stack as follows:
    Wizard levels + noctumancer levels = total wizard level
    Shadowcaster +noctumancer levels = total shadowcaster level
    This is regardless of the order in which you take levels.
    So, Wizard 3/Shadowcaster3/Noctumancer10/Wizard 4 more is a level 20 character with Wizard casting level of 17 and Shadowcaster casting level of 13.
    Last edited by blue_fenix; 2008-01-13 at 06:15 PM.
    "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
    -Dinobot, quoting Hamlet.

Current Characters:

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Noctumancer Questions

Alright, thank you very much.
    Add me on Steam!
    Steam ID: tfblackdrop

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    Spoiler