New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Question Gestalt class-Prestige class level up question

Well, I got confused while I planning my character build. If I am Gestalt Fighter/Paladin 8, and decided to put a level in cavalier prestige, then will I be just Fighter/Paladin 8 and Cavalier 1 (level up in only prestige) or allowed to level up in BOTH prestige and core class? (like Fighter 9/Paladin 8/Cavalier 1)

I'm really confused. Please help me
    Last edited by ChromaticOne; 2008-01-14 at 05:46 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Gestalt class-Prestige class level up question

You can only level up in two base-classes or in one base-class and one prestige-class

"And the Raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
    On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door"
    - Edgar Allan Poe, "The Raven"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

You need to think of Gestalt not as multiclass, but as having two classes each level, only one of which may be a prestige class each level. Separate them with a double slash, like this: Paladin 8//Fighter 8. So, when you gain your 9th level, you could become either a Paladin 8/Cavalier 1//Fighter 9 or Paladin 9//Fighter 8/Cavalier 1. When you then advance to 10th level (assuming you took the 1st option), you could become Paladin 9/Cavalier 1//Fighter 9/Knight Protector 1 or something like that, the important thing is that each level you only have one prestige class (and that dual-advancement classes aren't allowed).

That said... Fighter//Paladin is a rather bad idea for Gestalt, since they have a lot of the same class features (d10 HD, a good fort save, full BAB, few skill points). What you want is classes with different abilities that mesh well togeather. A simple example is Fighter//Rogue. Beyond a regular Fighter, you'd have: 6 extra skill points each level and a bunch of useful class skills, sneak attack dice, a good reflex save, trapfinding, uncanny dodge, evasion and so on - all the class features of the rogue. And the whole point of Gestalt is to allow you to fulfill more than one party role efficiently, in a small party.
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    This is a D&D web forum. There's more cheese here than there is in France.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swooper
    A simple example is Fighter//Rogue. Beyond a regular Fighter, you'd have: 6 extra skill points each level and a bunch of useful class skills, sneak attack dice, a good reflex save, trapfinding, uncanny dodge, evasion and so on - all the class features of the rogue.
    Hell, even just take the Feat Rogue variant. You trade Tower Shield Proficiency for all of the Rogue abilities beside the Sneak Attack dice, even keeping your Fighter Bonus Feats

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Thanks everyone! I got it now

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wordmiser View Post
    Hell, even just take the Feat Rogue variant. You trade Tower Shield Proficiency for all of the Rogue abilities beside the Sneak Attack dice, even keeping your Fighter Bonus Feats
    Huh?

No, you are a rogue who trades Sneak Attack for Feats. You don't have anything non-roguish besides the feats: not full BAB, not weapon proficiencies, not HD, not fort saves... This is very different from a Fighter//Rogue who gets full BAB, two good saves, d10 HD, all armor and shields and simple and martial weapons, bonus feats, sneak attack...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    Huh?

No, you are a rogue who trades Sneak Attack for Feats. You don't have anything non-roguish besides the feats: not full BAB, not weapon proficiencies, not HD, not fort saves... This is very different from a Fighter//Rogue who gets full BAB, two good saves, d10 HD, all armor and shields and simple and martial weapons, bonus feats, sneak attack...
    But as Paladin//Feat Rogue very much better than Fighter//Paladin, since now you´re a Paladin with good HD(almost as good as Outsider), useful class Features and, best of all, Fighter Bonus Feats. Depending on how you want to continue, it´s either a Skillmonkey with Paladin powers or a versatile Paladin that can easily qualify for PrCs.
    Also, thanks to Wayril for the nice Avatar!

Mourning Ashigaru of the - Fanclub

8. - Top - End - #8
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Swooper View Post
    the important thing is that each level you only have one prestige class (and that dual-advancement classes aren't allowed)
    Note that the "only one prestige class" rule is really only a recommendation, your DM may be more lenient.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of URL View Post
    Note that the "only one prestige class" rule is really only a recommendation, your DM may be more lenient.
    Fair enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    This is a D&D web forum. There's more cheese here than there is in France.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei
    I was refering to the fact that Paladin//Feat Rogue is strictly better than Paladin//Fighter. The only thing the latter has that the prior doesn't is Tower Shield Proficiencies.

[edit:] Oh, I see the problem. I misread the bit I quoted to say Paladin//Rogue. If that were the case, I think my first post would have made a bit more sense.
    Last edited by Wordmiser; 2008-01-15 at 11:15 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wordmiser View Post
    I was refering to the fact that Paladin//Feat Rogue is strictly better than Paladin//Fighter. The only thing the latter has that the prior doesn't is Tower Shield Proficiencies.

[edit:] Oh, I see the problem. I misread the bit I quoted to say Paladin//Rogue. If that were the case, I think my first post would have made a bit more sense.
    Looks like we both got our levels confused. I agree that Paladin//Feat Rogue is a better combination than Paladin//Fighter and probably than Fighter//Rogue.