New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Human Paragon and Psions

Well, I joined a PbP game, and was planning to go with the fairly standard 2 Ranger / 8 Psion / 10 Slayer (never played a Psion before and wanted to try it out). Then I saw this nifty Human Paragon PrC.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/ra...m#humanParagon

My question is: does the Human Paragon +1 existing class at levels 2 & 3 apply to Psion?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Human Paragon and Psions

not by RAW, because it specifically says "spellcasting" class in the text rather than "manifesting" class. However, I'm pretty sure that almost any DM would allow it to progress psionics as well.
    My friend and I have a blog, we write D&D stuff there: http://forgotmydice.com/

Comedian avatar by The_Stoney_One

A Guide to Commonly Misunderstood 5th Edition Rules

3. - Top - End - #3

actuly by raw it can because of the rule called magic-psisonic transparacy. as long as it dont say arcane or divine spellcasting, psisonic is good enough

4. - Top - End - #4
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by vegetalss4 View Post
    actuly by raw it can because of the rule called magic-psisonic transparacy. as long as it dont say arcane or divine spellcasting, psisonic is good enough
    Technically, that's not what Psi-Magic transparency does.
    Spell resistance is effective against powers, using the same mechanics. Likewise, power resistance is effective against spells, using the same mechanics as spell resistance. If a creature has one kind of resistance, it is assumed to have the other. (The effects have similar ends despite having been brought about by different means.)

All spells that dispel magic have equal effect against powers of the same level using the same mechanics, and vice versa.

The spell detect magic detects powers, their number, and their strength and location within 3 rounds (though a Psicraft check is necessary to identify the discipline of the psionic aura).
    But most people interpret it to mean "psionics" and "magic" are completely interchangable - such as allowing the Paragon to advance manifesting, which makes a lot of sense.

5. - Top - End - #5

As Morvo would say:
    Magic-psionic transparency does not work that way!
    It only applies when comparing the effects of psionics and magic, not when learning the spells or powers. Manifester levels and Caster levels are tracked separately, and classes that advance one do NOT advance the other (i.e. you can not take a spellcasting PrC and advance manifester levels). Otherwise wizards could pick powers at some levels and psions could learn spells when they felt like it. There is substantial difference between a manifesting class and a spellcasting class in 3.5 (namely, power point reserves and the way manifesting works).
    However, back to the original topic. Once again, I see no reason not to allow the Human Paragon PrC to advance manifester levels. The PrC is not overly powerful nor does anything about it break when combined with psionics instead of spellcasting.

Edit: Ninja'd!
    Further edited for spelling and word-choice.
    Last edited by Grynning; 2008-01-15 at 06:12 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

damn i was pretty sure, i will check it in my copy of the expanded psionic handbook when i get home

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Well, I joined a PbP game, and was planning to go with the fairly standard 2 Ranger / 8 Psion / 10 Slayer (never played a Psion before and wanted to try it out). Then I saw this nifty Human Paragon PrC.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/ra...m#humanParagon

My question is: does the Human Paragon +1 existing class at levels 2 & 3 apply to Psion?

Yes, because RAI predates RAW IMO:

Unearthed Arcana @Feb 2004 is the original source for race Paragon classes and PREDATES the introduction of Psionics into the game in @April 2004 with the Expanded Psionics Handbook.

The game is about having fun and I don't recall many psionic variants in UA probably because psionics didn't officially exist yet so pretty hard to incorporate into a source book.

Edit P.S. playing a Synad psion PC from CP could be interesting and in the end the DM always makes the final decision on how the rules play in their game but most are reasonable especially when you can give them a good reason like publishing dates on the rules for things in gray rules territory.
    Last edited by CASTLEMIKE; 2008-01-15 at 06:45 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Of course, the final word on this is: ASK THE DM!
    It's always going to come down to their call anyways, regardless of RAW, RAI, or forum debates

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Grynning View Post
    Of course, the final word on this is: ASK THE DM!
    It's always going to come down to their call anyways, regardless of RAW, RAI, or forum debates
    now thats 100% correct, as was your pointing out my misunderstood RAW reading