New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

confused Druidic Question

This has been a topic of discusion between me and my DM (Being an accomodating type, he allows arguments). I have an animal companion with a mostly crappy AC, and was hoping to buy barding for it. Does the metal armor restriction that applies to druids apply to any armor one would buy for their animal companion, and if the animal companion is also used as a mount, would that make any difference?
    how many dislexics does it change to take a bulb light?

i like to eat raw hedgehog. they dont taste bad, but thats mostly cuz i cant feel my tongue anymore.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: Druidic Question

RAW you can put any barding on it that you like, but remember that he is not proficient with it without taking a feat. RP-wise I don't think any druid would do that.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

According to fluff, you shouldn't, but mechanically its no problem. Just remember, your Companion has to take the Armor Proficiency feats.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvies by Z-Axis, now bearer of 3 divine rank.
    So you may have heard of Lord Herman. Well, he's pretty awesome.
    Chief Arial Commander of HALO
    Through hostilties, Leader of AMEN
    Annoyingly Androgynous Elf
    Larger Avvies:
    Shas aia Toriia (under constuction)
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Just remember, your Companion has to take the Armor Proficiency feats.
    With mithral chainshirt that isn't problem since it has no ACP. With other armors it will be.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, don't forget to multiply the cost according to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    ARMOR FOR UNUSUAL CREATURES

Armor and shields for unusually big creatures, unusually little creatures, and nonhumanoid creatures have different costs and weights from those given on Table: Armor and Shields. Refer to the appropriate line on the table below and apply the multipliers to cost and weight for the armor type in question.
    Humanoid Nonhumanoid
    Size Cost Weight Cost Weight
    Tiny or smaller1 x1/2 x1/10 x1 x1/10
    Small x1 x1/2 x2 x1/2
    Medium x1 x1 x2 x1
    Large x2 x2 x4 x2
    Huge x4 x5 x8 x5
    Gargantuan x8 x8 x16 x8
    Colossal x16 x12 x32 x12
    1 Divide armor bonus by 2.
    It's under Masterwork armor. http://www.systemreferencedocuments....age/armor.html

Edit: Ach that table came out miserably. Check the link. Like for my dire bat, the armor cost x4 and weighs x2 because he's non-humanoid and size large.
    Last edited by Seffbasilisk; 2008-01-16 at 08:09 PM.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

6. - Top - End - #6

I can't see any fluff reason that a Druids animal companion can't wear metal barding just because the Druid can't. The two don't have any connection.

Depending on the DM you may be able to argue that if you have the combat mount set of tricks, that for an additional trick you can gian the ability to wear light barding. Given that some animal companions get war training for free, which includes proficincy in the various armours, it doesn't seem unreasonable.

Stephen

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

I have agree with the general public opinion: There is no rule that forbids it, so it technically not a breach of the rules. However, I would personally see it a BIG breach of character and class virtues.

Of course, you could bypass this whole messy debate by making the armor out of something other than metal. Perhaps dragonhide?
    D&D: Libra Edition
    An update to the core 3.5 system

Currently posted
    Barbarian (Updated- Table completed)

Coming soon...
    Bard

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flarewing View Post
    Does the metal armor restriction that applies to druids apply to any armor one would buy for their animal companion, and if the animal companion is also used as a mount, would that make any difference?
    No, the restriction applies only to the druid.
    If you have a good DM who accepts that not everthing in the Core rules is sane or play in a setting with differences, Metal Armour and Druids work fine.

As an aside, get a War Trained (MM2 Template) Animal - Proficancy in armour aswell as a number of other bonues
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Tarkahn View Post
    Of course, you could bypass this whole messy debate by making the armor out of something other than metal. Perhaps dragonhide?
    Giant, scary dragon: "Insignificant speck! You dare to wear the skin of my slain brothers!?! I shall DESTROY you!"

Druid *offended*: "Of course I don't!...

"...I gave it to my dog."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

On a slightly unrelated tangent... Do animal companions get feats? Ability increases?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Everyone loves loopy. It's true.
    My blog, if you are interested in my rambling.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    On a slightly unrelated tangent... Do animal companions get feats? Ability increases?
    All creatures with an int score get 1 feat per 3 hd.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Tarkahn View Post
    However, I would personally see it a BIG breach of character and class virtues.
    I don't get it. Why would you expect the animal companion to meet the Druids class restrictions. It's like saying a lay assistant to a Roman Catholic priest should be celibate! An animal companion is merely a friend who helps the Druid, and consequently is given some minor powers, but in know way are they Druids, so even fluff wise there is no reason for them to mimic the Druid class restrictions.

Stephen

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    They get feats, but ability increases, other than the Dex/Str increases are dubious. The aren't sepcifically mentioned, but neither are they specifically denied and there is some weasal room for claiming that it's just part of getting skill points and feats fir additional HD.

But RAW I think you have to say they get Feats and Skill points but not ability increases.

Stephen

14. - Top - End - #14

Animal companions should be able to wear metal armor, they're part of nature, and druids want to protect that.

Besides, the no metal armor thing is stupid, i mean they cant wear metal, but are fine wielding scimitars and sickles? EITHER HAVE NO METAL, OR USE AS MUCH AS YOU WANT.

It annoys me.

15. - Top - End - #15

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    Giant, scary dragon: "Insignificant speck! You dare to wear the skin of my slain brothers!?! I shall DESTROY you!"

Druid *offended*: "Of course I don't!...

"...I gave it to my dog."
    This one made me laugh. The DM in our World's Largest Dungeon game rules that magic armour resizes to fit the wearer no matter his anatomy, so that's given me a use for all the +1 chain shirts we've been finding.

At one point a new PC joined with no equipment. I leant him a magic chain shirt. After a couple of sessions he managed to find one of his own, leading to this exchange:

Me: "Is it okay if I have the chain shirt back now?"
    Fighter: "Sure, thanks."
    Me: "Great. Here you go, Dusty."
    Fighter: "I've been wearing your dog's armour?"
    Rogue: "Well, that explains your Charisma score."
    Me: "Good boy, Dusty. Now you get to have an AC of 29 again."

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

say my druid was of both limited level and gold supply. What would be the most efficient armoring technique for a low level druid for armoring ones animal companion (wolf)? If there is no good one, at what level might i be able to find a good armoring idea?
    Last edited by flarewing; 2008-01-25 at 08:01 PM.
    how many dislexics does it change to take a bulb light?

i like to eat raw hedgehog. they dont taste bad, but thats mostly cuz i cant feel my tongue anymore.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen View Post
    Animal companions should be able to wear metal armor, they're part of nature, and druids want to protect that.

Besides, the no metal armor thing is stupid, i mean they cant wear metal, but are fine wielding scimitars and sickles? EITHER HAVE NO METAL, OR USE AS MUCH AS YOU WANT.

It annoys me.
    It's based on Celtic Druids, who used Sickles to gather herbs (incidentally, I think it was Holly and Mistletoe) as parts of rituals.

It's a little weird, but it's not entirely unjustified. Besides, they don't matter. The Druid will be Wildshaped anyways.

...Unless you want that angry Dire Bear to be wearing magical Adamantine Full Plate...
    Last edited by Voyager_I; 2008-01-25 at 08:37 PM.
    Praise me not for my born strengths, but for what I make of them.
    Scorn me not for my born faults, but for my failure to overcome them.

The Practical Monk's Manuscript

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Slightly off topic, but it's a little non-sensical for the nature-loving druid to only be allowed to wear armor made from the hides of slain animals or the wood from chopped down trees.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground

It's not because they love nature. They're just sticking closer to naturalism than most. Fighters can wield state-of-the-art steel armor and weaponry without having to worry about the naturalism of it, but if druids want such equipment, they need to be closer to nature with it to actually use it. Metal is unnatural. Think like a long-time Linux user's reaction towards commercial OS.
    Zoit! Avatar by Cult_of_the_Raven.

Is an adventurer you?
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

Exactly how, sir, is metal unnatural? Leather is tanned animal hide, metal is ore. Ironwood armour had a spell cast on it.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kalir View Post
    It's not because they love nature. They're just sticking closer to naturalism than most. Fighters can wield state-of-the-art steel armor and weaponry without having to worry about the naturalism of it, but if druids want such equipment, they need to be closer to nature with it to actually use it. Metal is unnatural. Think like a long-time Linux user's reaction towards commercial OS.
    How is metal unnatural? Metal is, after all, part of the earth. Sure, you have to treat it to make it optimally useful, but that applies to leather, and even wood.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    How is metal unnatural? Metal is, after all, part of the earth. Sure, you have to treat it to make it optimally useful, but that applies to leather, and even wood.
    From my understanding, it's not that metal armor is "unnatural", but rather that the inventions of industry are required to forge it.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

My house rule is: Druids can use metal armor if they want, but the amount of inorganic material in metal armor mucks up their wild shape mojo. This sidesteps the "natural/unnatural" argument nicely.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground

What Fax Celestis said. Wood and leather, I believe, takes much less industrial work to treat properly. And as for ironwood spells, those are from natural magic, which makes sense.

I don't make the rules, I just interpret them as best as my ranks in Decipher Script allow.
    Zoit! Avatar by Cult_of_the_Raven.

Is an adventurer you?
    Spoiler
    Show