Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon

Thread: ECL 5 ideas?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default ECL 5 ideas?

SO, I'm making a batch of new characters. So far, I have a dragonwrought kobold ranger 2/scout 3, with the archery combat style, who's on his way to combat trapsmith, a Dolgrim Fighter 2/Cleric of war 1, a changeling Rogue 1/Ninja 2/warlock 2 on her way to spellwarp sniper, and I'm making a half-prismatic dragon something. Probably paladin or knight. This is the first ECL 5 bunch I've made, so tell me if I've made any stupid mistakes, yet. And I think I'll need a fifth wheel, who I have yet to come up with.

Ten points if you knew right away what a dolgrim is.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: ECL 5 ideas?

So, I made the half-dragon a half-chaos dragon, and added two levels of barbarian on. Sadly, ECL 5 means no dragon breath, yet. But, that's on the list of things to get.

But again, stuck on the fifth wheel. Maybe a full caster?
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3

Yeah, you need a full caster, especially one focused on utility since your Spellwarp Sniper guy is already focusing on dealing damage. Something without an LA, just to be different from some of your other characters.

I recommend Psion. For race ... Elan and Human are the classic strong answers, but you seem to want unique characters more than optimized ones, so ... Dwarf? Halfling? Xeph?
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

With the extra 10 points for knowing what a dolgrim is (an Eberron fan here), I'd say you might want an artificer just for a change. A warforged artificer sounds fancy here.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Level 1 pixie (+4 LA) rogue, can fly, use greater invisibility at will and has a handful of neat abilities, good fun. Also, the +8 to dexterity makes you better at a level 5 human rogue with maxed out (insert dexterity based skill).
    Round Four: Eat Brains.
    SPLAT!
    Cheers for the avvy, Rincewind

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Zen Of Anger View Post
    Level 1 pixie (+4 LA) rogue, can fly, use greater invisibility at will and has a handful of neat abilities, good fun. Also, the +8 to dexterity makes you better at a level 5 human rogue with maxed out (insert dexterity based skill).
    ?

+8 Dex gives you a +4 boost on your modifier, which only makes up for the 4 extra ranks that the level 5 human will have over you. Of course, you'll get that on all your Dex checks, not just the ones the human saw fit to max, but still. Assuming the same base stats the human is your equal in skills you both care about.

Plus, though it's only relevant at precisely this level, the human has synergy bonuses and you don't.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Dragon Shaman -1 for the Healing Aura, Factotum -3 with Iajutsu Foucs skill, Marshal -1 Motivate Aura or Warblade -1 or other class level to taste.

Archivist -5
    Last edited by CASTLEMIKE; 2008-01-23 at 08:51 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    ?

+8 Dex gives you a +4 boost on your modifier, which only makes up for the 4 extra ranks that the level 5 human will have over you. Of course, you'll get that on all your Dex checks, not just the ones the human saw fit to max, but still. Assuming the same base stats the human is your equal in skills you both care about.

Plus, though it's only relevant at precisely this level, the human has synergy bonuses and you don't.
    Then again, it's also got nifty bonuses to just about everything else, too. Including intelligence, which adds up to three extra skill points/level. Then Charisma, makes for quite the infiltrator, and greater invisibility, which gets rid of my need for the ninja levels. Definitely a good plan.

Is it even fluff-legal to have a fey warlock?
    Quote Originally Posted by CASTLEMIKE View Post
    Dragon Shaman -1 for the Healing Aura, Factotum -3 with Iajutsu Foucs skill, Marshal -1 Motivate Aura or Warblade -1 or other class level to taste.

Archivist -5
    Okay, I know two of those classes, and I have rules for one.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2008-01-23 at 09:39 AM.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    Then again, it's also got nifty bonuses to just about everything else, too. Including intelligence, which adds up to three extra skill points/level. Then Charisma, makes for quite the infiltrator, and greater invisibility, which gets rid of my need for the ninja levels. Definitely a good plan.
    Except for the way you can be killed at this level in one hit by anything that can bypass your Invisibility.

Is it even fluff-legal to have a fey warlock?
    Definitely -- Complete Arcane mentions the possibility in the Warlock's fluff, and in 4e this is being expanded to be a major warlock option.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.