Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Yet another Stat yourself thread

Yes, that's right another thread to stat yourself in. However, a few notices/tips/rules.

1. The strongest/fastest/smartest ect. of our time are level 4. This includes Olympians, Stephen Hawking, ect. Legendary figures in the history of the world are level 5. For example, Napoleon was a level 5 Marshal, talented and experienced, a legend that practically stretched the limits of humanity.

2. Please no Spellcasters, not even classes that gain spells later. Seriously now, I doubt any of us can use magic.

3. Please be honest about your abilities, and evaluate yourself as honestly as possible. Because this is an internet forum, we don't really care what your stats are, so please don't exaggerate, and more importantly, this is more for fun than bragging about ourselves.

4. For a point of reference, the highest ability score possible at our levels is 19, and that is putting you at the forefront of human abilities, Napoleon probably had 18-19 Charisma (He was able to turn an entire army from Hostile to Friendly in 1 round), and Hawking probably has 18 or so INT. With regards to various formulas floating around concerning IQ scores and intelligence, feel free to use them, but personally, I feel that IQ scores are fundamentally flawed, and do not encompass everything that INT does.

Now that that is over with, here is me, and my Brother.

Me

1st Level Commoner
    Abilities: 10 Str, 11 Dex, 8 Con, 14 Int, 8 Wis, 14 Cha
    Feats: Skill Focus (Diplomacy), Negotiator
    Skills: Dunno really, probably Diplomacy, Swim, Speak Language (Spanish)

My Brother

1st Level Commoner
    Abilities: 12 Str, 11 Dex, 12 Con, 12 Int, 10 Wis, 8 Cha
    Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Weapon Focus (Quarterstaff)
    Skills: Again, not really sure, maybe Craft (Really Good Food), Jump, Climb, Swim
    Thanks a TON to Almighty Salmon for the Amazing Log Man!

The Legend of TheLogMan

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Yet another Stat yourself thread

Think about this. Why do we need another?

3. - Top - End - #3

We actually haven't had one in like 3 months now, firstly, and secondly, because I have been imagining d20 rules behind everything that's been happening to me for the past 2 weeks or so, and need to get it out of my system.
    Thanks a TON to Almighty Salmon for the Amazing Log Man!

The Legend of TheLogMan

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

But... accurate realistic stats of ourselves are boring. And I think this goes in a differant forum.
    We're all level 1 commoners anyways. Oh, sure, maybe some of us are experts, and there may be one or two aristocrats, and probably some warriors, but when it all gets down to it, we aren't exactly an "ooh, aah" breed of people.

5. - Top - End - #5

I know some epic level whiners in real life. This one woman was like a level 35...
    Last edited by Lupy; 2008-01-25 at 10:16 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar, and many thanks, to Nevitan!

Thanks to Lubirio for the calligraphy signature!

Quotes and Links:

Quote Originally Posted by Beholder1995 View Post
    Lupy, you have officially reached that point known as 'awesome'.
    Quote Originally Posted by quinsar View Post
    You win Lupy!
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFox View Post
    It had nothing to do with the damn parakeet!
    A little song about the internet.

To the Dancing Fox Inn!

PM me about Linux!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Napoleon was a level 5 Marshal, talented and experienced, a legend that practically stretched the limits of humanity.
    Alright, i'm good

Literally, um

Chrisma 17
    Int 19
    wisdom 10
    Strength 14
    Con 15 (but i don't feel pain so?)
    Dex 14 (fencing)
    no i'm not cheap
    from
    EE
    Last edited by EvilElitest; 2008-01-25 at 10:32 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

[IRL Name Omitted]
    Human Male Monk 2
    Str 6 Dex 13 Con 8 Int 14 Wis 13 Cha 7
    Feats: Weapon Finesse (Unarmed Strike), Improved Unarmed StrikeB, Stunning FistB, Extra Stunning, Combat ReflexesB
    Skills: Balance, Diplomacy, Hide, Listen, Spot, Move Silently, and Tumble all have 5 ranks.
    Languages: English, German, and Uryuomoco (Dan Shive made me waste a starting language slot on his webcomic's aliens.)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EvilElitest View Post
    Alright, i'm good

Literally, um

Chrisma 17
    Int 19
    wisdom 10
    Strength 14
    Con 15 (but i don't feel pain so?)
    Dex 14 (fencing)

from
    EE
    That's it.

Send in the House Cats.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Parvum View Post
    That's it.

Send in the House Cats.
    wait what? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Really what?
    from
    EE

10. - Top - End - #10

Thumbs up Re: Yet another Stat yourself thread

I dunno, here goes:

1st Level Commoner

Cha: 12
    Int: 18
    Str: 8
    Con: 8
    Wis: 14
    Dex: 8

Knowledge (Parakeets, fish, Star Wars, Star Trek, Boinicle, Harry Potter, Middle Earth, Shannara, Miscellanious Fantasy, Music, useless trivia)

I'm what we call... Athletically challenged...
    Last edited by Lupy; 2008-01-26 at 11:05 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar, and many thanks, to Nevitan!

Thanks to Lubirio for the calligraphy signature!

Quotes and Links:

Quote Originally Posted by Beholder1995 View Post
    Lupy, you have officially reached that point known as 'awesome'.
    Quote Originally Posted by quinsar View Post
    You win Lupy!
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFox View Post
    It had nothing to do with the damn parakeet!
    A little song about the internet.

To the Dancing Fox Inn!

PM me about Linux!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd be more of an expert than a commoner... me thinks.

Human Expert 2
    Str 8 [can't lift a darn thing]
    Dex 11 [slightly above average, but not very much so]
    Con 9 [*cough cough* no sir, I ain't got any cold at the moment sir.*sneezes*]
    Int 15 [smart for my own good. Overall Position 1 isn't something to scoff at, you know. Although I have a strange feeling EE will have a go at this.]
    Wis 13 [calm and reflective, but not amazingly so.]
    Cha 11 [always jolly and friendly, but people sometimes... fine, often find me somewhat annoying because I talk too much...]

I think that's about it. I'll have full ranks in Listen and Spot (very observant) too.
    Last edited by Bag_of_Holding; 2008-01-25 at 10:43 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Strength 10 (I'm not particularly strong or weak.)
    Dexterity 10? (I tend to fall down and trip on things, but I am a decent shot with most firearms. So... It averages out?)
    Constitution 11? (I have pretty bad asthma, but I heal faster than normal and have never gotten dizzy after giving blood. Kind of mixed messages again.)
    Intelligence 16 (I am very smart, especially when it comes to logical problem solving skills.)
    Wisdom 6 (I'm brash, impulsive and easily distracted. I als- hey is that a quarter!? I'm gonna go get some gum!)
    Charisma 14 (People seem to either love me or hate me. I'd say that's a strong personality.)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

1st Level Commoner
    Abilities: 10 Str, 11 Dex, 8 Con, 14 Int, 9 Wis, 8 Cha
    Feats:
    Skills: Knowledge (Useless junk)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvies by Z-Axis, now bearer of 3 divine rank.
    So you may have heard of Lord Herman. Well, he's pretty awesome.
    Chief Arial Commander of HALO
    Through hostilties, Leader of AMEN
    Annoyingly Androgynous Elf
    Larger Avvies:
    Shas aia Toriia (under constuction)
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Let's see...being 15, I am going to go by 'intelligence' as intelligence potential instead of actual reservoir of knowledge.

Me
    1st level commoner or possibly expert
    Strength: 7 (I'm both young, and not particularly strong)
    Dexterity: 12 (I'm quite dexterous.)
    Constitution: 12 (I am skinny, but I never get sick. I recently had a bad (101) fever that lasted about a day.
    Intelligence: 15 (I am a very smart kid...straight As, honor/AP classes...)
    Wisdom: 9 (psh, common sense is for losers)
    Charisma: 12 (I don't look for leadership, but when I end up in a leadership position I completely take over and organize everything. People try to put me in said positions.)

Feat: Great Fortitude. See note on constitution: never sick.
    Skills: Let's see...maybe 1-2 in Balance, Diplomacy, maybe jump, perhaps a few knowledge skills, listen, Sleight of Hand (card tricks ), Speak Language (Spanish) with 1 skill point, maybe spot, swim. Maybe one in tumble, if not then I will once I find the opportunity to start practicing parkour. The rest go into stuff like Skiing.

By the way, haven't had a chance to comment yet. EE: awesome new avatar.
    Last edited by Icewalker; 2008-01-25 at 11:04 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by EvilElitest View Post
    wait what? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Really what?
    from
    EE
    You either didn't read the original post or have an absurdly inflated ego. You're not, I'd wager, in the realm of 19 Intelligence (Goethe, maybe, Da Vinci, that sort of combination Polymath/Super Genius).

Myself? Human Commoner 1, maybe Expert 1.

Str 9
    Dex 13/14 (passable gymnast, several martial arts)
    Int 16/17 (maybe too high, but I did get a 34 on the ACT and win essay/poetry contests etc. I'm really more of a Diderot-type than someone who's really good in any one area. I've noticed that Int is the stat people most care about [or at least exaggerate the most]. It's probably a symptom of our relatively cerebral society.)
    Con 7-10 (I really haven't been hurt or sick enough to really find out but it's northing exceptional either way. I have slight eczema and thin skin, though.)
    Wis No idea. 10?
    Cha 11/12, I guess. I'm generally rather eloquent in speech and prose, though I resort to silence fairly often, which tends to unnerve people.

Languages: English, Spanish (idiomatic), Japanese (broken), Latin (bits and pieces)

Probably a few martial weapon proficiencies and a diverse host of Knowledge skills (yay school!), a little tumble, etc.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hitler had a charisma of probably 20. To take Germany from being amongst the poorest nations of the world to being a military superpower fueled by national pride is an amazing accomplishment. (note I do not in any way approve of his beliefs and ethics and actions. He is one of the top 5 evil people in the history of everything. I have to respect his leadership ability though.)
    "The point of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other [guy] die for his."

Yarr! The river always be a good place to hunt dinosaurs.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    You either didn't read the original post or have an absurdly inflated ego. You're not, I'd wager, in the realm of 19 Intelligence (Goethe, maybe, Da Vinci, that sort of combination Polymath/Super Genius).

Myself? Human Commoner 1, maybe Expert 1.
    1. No, how the hell do house cats fit in
    2. A guy with a Napolion Avater has an inflated Ego? Named EvilElitest? Noooooo
    3. Ironically enough, that was in fact a parody on honesty , read the bottom of the post, their is a white statment
    4. the 19 was a typo, the 18 is true. I belive it. Wizareds can start out with it
    5. I will rise to power. I'm only a kid now, but your all see
    Hitler had a charisma of probably 20. To take Germany from being amongst the poorest nations of the world to being a military superpower fueled by national pride is an amazing accomplishment. (note I do not in any way approve of his beliefs and ethics and actions. He is one of the top 5 evil people in the history of everything. I have to respect his leadership ability though.)
    at the risk of bringing in Gordwin's law, i don't think Hitler was a political genuis, his blunders over hte course of the war even if you ignore Russia were absurd and he is an ungodly writer. Restoring Germany was pretty impression but remember, it is Germany and his goverment is a miltary dicatorship. Germany already had a culture of having National Pride letting them do seemenly impossible task (considering how well they did in WWI in retrospect, they should have lost ages ago) and a miltary government is the perfect system in terms of getting out of inpoverment, providing you know how to pull it off (Again german, miltary culture) I'd give him a Chrisma 16, a high int (he knew what to do, but he made some major basic blunders) more than anything.
    On a random note, i love Germany (not for the militarism though, i like the place)

A far simpler man is Napoleon, he would have
    Int 19, remember that man was a mathematical master
    2. Chrisma 21 (I mean after all he did, France still wanted him back after the Hundred days
    3. Strength 14 most likely, he was a solider
    4. Con 12, he was sickly and ate very badly, possible dying from Stomach cancer and was quite small
    5. Wisdom 16, he was smart but his ego got in the way of his tactical sense
    6. Dex unknown

from
    EE
    Last edited by EvilElitest; 2008-01-25 at 11:55 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

probably not accurate

Human Male nationality: Bay Area/El Cerrito, (I am not an American, not while we have a president who gets 1/2 of the vote by saying it is god's will)
    Commoner/Warrior/Fighter? 1 or 2, I am a decent Fencer and am one of the best at my club.
    Str:11, I'm not particurly strong or weak.
    Dex:13-14, I am ambidexterous and have decent reflexes, also see above note about fencing.
    Con:8, I don't get sick often but I have a small cronic illness and have a stamina of virtually nil.
    Int:15-16, I'm around the top of my class, have a 4.0(No AP for freshman alas) Like Icewalker said I'm basing this off of potential intelligence not actual knowledge.
    Wis:14, I notice things that other people don't, I can hear pretty well when I'm actually paying attention and have pretty good intuition.
    Cha:14, I'm an okay jazz musician and have been offered a chance to audition in an independent film.

Feats:Weapon finesse
    Skills:Speak language(japanese)(random pidgin), Spot, listen, sleight of hand(I was into stage magic for a while), Bluff (fencing) Perform(piano and trombone), knowledge(ramdom junk, various others)
    Last edited by SilentNight; 2008-01-25 at 11:53 PM.
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Commoners are farmers. If you have any education, you're an Expert.
    Speaking of which, for those "stat yourself as you are, not as you would be if you were a DND adventurer" threads, D20 Modern works much better. Where, as much as I can understand it, level 1 means you're inept or a teenager, level 2 is college or the beginning of career, and most adults are level 3.

And considering this:

Smart Hero 2
    Str 9
    Dex 8
    Con 12
    Int 15
    Wis 14
    Cha 13

Skills: some technical Knowledge skills, lots of Knowledge skills about useless/geeky stuff, Computer Use
    Feats: Probably some with the Luck descriptor

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu View Post
    Speaking of which, for those "stat yourself as you are, not as you would be if you were a DND adventurer" threads, D20 Modern works much better. Where, as much as I can understand it, level 1 means you're inept or a teenager, level 2 is college or the beginning of career, and most adults are level 3.
    Yep, I think D20 Modern works much better than D&D in this regard. Or GURPS, for that matter; that's what I'd pick:

ST - 10
    DX - 11
    IQ - 14
    HT - 10

Advantages - Wealth (Comfortable), Mathematical Ability

Disadvantages - Bad Sight, Insomnia

Skills - Probably 4 points in Physics and 2-4 points in Engineering, 2 points in Mathematics, 1-2 points in Writing and Teaching, miscellaneous points in things like Driving and Computer Operation.

Quirks would include posting to internet message boards, having a ponytail, I'm sure I could put in something about musical preferences, and so forth.

21. - Top - End - #21

I'd say I'm a Lvl2 Expert (finishing a Ph.D. soon to be lvl3)
    10 Str (Gym twice a week and cardio 3 times a week)
    8 Dex (yoga is hard! I have the basics of juggling and am trained with a bow)
    14 Con (genetic nerve condition which lowers Dex but raises Con/pain threshold)
    16 Int (PhD in the Sciences, 8 years of university with unlimited to go)
    14 Wis (Got through 8 years of university and I do not owe anyone any money)
    13 Cha (natural leader, got a medal from the queen, married, but not gorgeous)

Feats are likely something like: Skill Focus (Profession:Science), Skill Focus (Survival) as I've been a beaver/cub/scout/venturer/rover/leader for 20 years.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'm a level 1 or 2 Expert, I suppose...
    STR 10: I'm not weak, but not super-strong either.
    DEX 12: Good hand-eye coordination, decent reflexes...
    CON 10: Allergies, but can resist weather, pain, etc. when I am determined to.
    INT 16: Valedictorian in HS, 34 on ACT, easily learn languages
    WIS 13: I can notice minute differences, strong willed
    CHA 8: Not good in public, depressive tendencies...

Skills: Knowledge: Arch/Eng, Knowledge: History, Knowledge: Religion, Knowledge: Tactics, Knowledge: Mathematics, Sense Motive, Decipher Script, Search, Profession: Engineer, Perform: Trumpet

Feats: Iron Will, Self-Sufficient

Languages: English, 3 undetermined (but formerly taken by Latin, Spanish, and German, but not used frequently enough or studied enough for them to really be Known Languages)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Using the standard that the All-Time Greats are 5's in their fields, I'll estimate that it takes 10-15 years of meaningful experience / training for the average person to earn a level. Of course, someone who is abnormally gifted could get their levels faster. For combat purposes, I am probably a CR 1/4 to 1/2 depending upon the circumstances.

Str 13
    Dex 12
    Con 11
    Int 16
    Wis 14
    Cha 12

HP: 13
    AC: 11
    Move: 30

Saves: Fort +2, Reflex +2, Will +5
    Initiative: +5

Attacks: One attack with fist/kick (armed) at +3 for 1d3+1

Levels: Expert 3 (Math PhD, JD, and Martial Arts)

Physically: fairly athletic but aging... bench ~225, run a 10K in ~ 1hr
    Mentally: solid memory, very strong at math/logic/puzzles, studied many fields

Feats/Class Abilities: Skill Focus (Knowledge - Mathematics), Unarmed Strike, Improved Initiative

Skills(60): Knowledge - Mathematics 6, Gather Information 6, Concentration 6, Profession - Lawyer 5, Knowledge - Engineering 4, Knowledge - Religion 4, Knowledge - Geography 4, Knowledge - History 4, Knowledge - Nature 3, Profession - Businessman 2(4), Knowledge - Local 2(4), Diplomacy 2(4), Swim 2(4), Perform - Oratory 1(2)
    Last edited by mroozee; 2008-01-26 at 01:34 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow. It's actually quite humorous to see the insanely high int scores some of you give yourselves. The way I see it, if we were to compare game stat numbers to real life, 16 is in the genius range, not just "really really smart." Remember, 10-11 is the average: that means the normal person, not the stupid people. You could be a straight A high school student with a 10 int if you were very dedicated. That's how I see it, anyway.

If you look at my scores in my sig, I'd say to be accurate, subtract 3 from all of those to get my real scores. (btw, I was valedictorian in high school) Well, I might have a Cha of higher than 10- I have a strong personality, but I'm not very charismatic in the usual, non-game terms sense of the word.
    I'm currently writing a story, titled "Zenith: Another World Saga."

It's a fantasy/adventure story. Here's the summary:

When I opened my eyes, I was in a fantasy world. I quickly discovered that it functioned off of game-like rules (levels, EXP, skills, and so on). Taking the name Zenith, I decided to make the best of my new world and live as an adventurer aiming for the top together with my new best friend Rozenskye. And I might be functionally immortal? An Isekai-style story.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

An ability score of 22-24 is the upper limit for humans. This can be calculated by taking world record strength demonstrations and comparing them to how D&D calculates Strength score via physical lifting capacities.

You can also attempt to compare D&D-style ability scores to RL percentiles via the probability curve of a 3d6 roll. Anything 19+ is very rare.

Going by those standards, I am a:

Human Expert 2

Str 15
    Dex 13
    Con 13
    Int 17
    Wis 14
    Cha 10-12
    Last edited by JaxGaret; 2008-01-26 at 03:51 AM.
    You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. - Friedrich Nietzsche

26. - Top - End - #26

I think the easiest way to do this is with Mutants and Masterminds, I tried it out the other day for kicks. Normal people are PL 2, which gives you 30 points to work with. Here's how I came out:

Str 10, Dex 12, Con 8 (heavy smoker), Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 14 (people either like me or hate me, but they pay attention, dammit)
    8 points spent on Abilities

Skills (ranks only, stat bonuses not added):
    Bluff 3, Computers 2, Diplomacy 2, Disguise 2, Drive 2, Gather Information 2, Intimidate 1, Knowledge: Pop Culture 3, Knowledge: Civics 2, Knowledge: Behavioral Sciences 2, Knowledge: Theology and Philosophy 2, Medicine 1, Notice 2, Perform: Acting 2, Perform: Oratory 2, Profession 1, Search 2, Sense Motive 2, Stealth 1, Survival 1, Swim 2.
    Most of these come from being a Boy Scout, actor, and a communications major, the rest is from general knowledge, nerdiness and my job.
    10 points spent on skills

Feats: Grappling Finesse, Master Plan, Taunt, Well-informed, Accurate Attack
    I took a few martial arts and learned to wrestle. The Master Plan, Taunt and Well Informed Feats are just things that I do naturally.
    5 points spent on feats.

Combat and Saves:
    Attack: +1, Defense +1
    4 points
    F +1, R +1, W +1
    3 points
    Total F +0, R +2, W +1, Toughness -1 (I do have a glass jaw, many people have tested it )

Total 30 points.

Not too shabby, but nothing impressive. I can live with me
    Last edited by Grynning; 2008-01-26 at 05:06 AM.
    My friend and I have a blog, we write D&D stuff there: http://forgotmydice.com/

Comedian avatar by The_Stoney_One

A Guide to Commonly Misunderstood 5th Edition Rules

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Lord Silvanos: Beholder elder orb Sorcerer 19 Mindbender 1
    Huge Aberration
    HD: 33d8+330 plus 20d4+200 (732 hp)
    Abilities: Str 21, Dex 17, Con 30, Int 26, Wis 21, Cha 34.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Level 1 Human Expert, approaching Level 2.

Strength 12 (a bit of occasional weight training)

Constitution 8 (My resistance to disease and pain is by no means exceptional, and my endurance is poor)

Dexterity 10 (I can't catch, but I move fairly quickly)

Intelligence 17, maybe even 18 (based on the reasoning that D&D intelligence should fall on a bell curve created by rolling 3d6 and on the number of people I've ever met whom I can say are definitely noticeably smarter than me)*

Wisdom 7 (I have decent intuition and a modicum of common sense, but relatively little willpower, and my eyesight and hearing are rather poor)

Charisma 7 (I care a lot about people and very few people find me actively dislikeable, but I have trouble interacting with people gracefully, and often make poor first impressions and jokes that fall flat).

I have no idea where my skills or feats go.

*No, I'm nothing like as smart as Einstein or Hawking by an enormous margin (and since I work in the same profession we can actually compare honestly). But their intelligence was rather specialized and cannot be modeled well in the D&D system. There's very little room between the intelligences that can be obtained by rolling 3d6 and the maximum attainable by 5th level. Einstein and such should fall into that range; I should not.
    Last edited by Dervag; 2008-01-26 at 06:22 AM.
    My favorite exchange:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    If your idea of fun is to give the players whatever they want, then I suggest you take out a board game called: CANDY LAND and use that for your gaming sessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Obviously, you have never known the frustration of being stranded in the Molasses Swamp.
    _______
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    Physics is a dame of culture and sophistication. She'll take you in, keep you warm at night, provide all kinds of insight into yourself and the world you never find on your own.

29. - Top - End - #29

y'know, it does seem like no-one wants to characterize themselves as having anything less than genius-level intellect on these threads. Most people use the defense that they don't know anyone smarter than them and that they are fairly successful at intellectual pursuits compared to other people they know (re: people who aren't nerds like us ) I disagree with statting yourself at Int 16+ based on these two factors. First of all, the unwashed masses around you are probably not as dumb as you think they are, they just don't share your interests, thus you have little to discuss with them. Second, not knowing anyone smarter than you shouldn't really be surprising - it means that you're fairly average, or maybe slightly above. Genius level intelligence is relatively rare, after all.

Edit: I realize this may sound slightly hypocritical, considering I stat myself at Int 14, which would indicate "genius" level. I honestly don't know how "smart" I really am compared to anyone else, but I base the stat on an essay I read (somewhere in the annals of teh intarwebs) that had a pretty long comparative analysis of D&D Int vs. real-life IQ based on relative frequency and conversion tables. I don't remember the math, but the gist of it was that D&D Int stats that fell between 6 and 15 or so could pretty much be multiplied by 10 to get the equivalent IQ. I took two APA board-certified IQ tests and both gave me results between 130 and 140. I round up for stat threads, since I'd rather have a +2 bonus
    Last edited by Grynning; 2008-01-26 at 06:46 AM.
    My friend and I have a blog, we write D&D stuff there: http://forgotmydice.com/

Comedian avatar by The_Stoney_One

A Guide to Commonly Misunderstood 5th Edition Rules

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

I've actually statted myself out on a charecter sheet

Yes, this is info from d20 Modern from the d20M SRD.

Reasoning behind each:

STR: Average in most details, but I'm a decent grappler
    DEX: Very good balance, decent agility, and all that stuff, but I'm a bad pistol shot, although that can be related more to inexperiance.
    CON: People are amazed that I'm not sick all the time once they looked at my room when I was younger. I've only rarely been seriously sick, and the only work I've ever ducked out of was one hour of quarterdeck watch becuase I got hit by some pretty bad food poisoning.
    INT: Using the 10 IQ points = 1 point of INT, with AVG INT beng 10 and AVG IQ being 100. My last IQ test scored me at 130, admittidly, that was a few years ago.
    WIS: I have excellent SPot and Listen checks, but I'm quite gullible.
    CHA: Honestly, I'd score myslef at 9, but people keep telling me that I'm a good leader, so I bumped it up, based on other people's perceptions.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP