New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Concerning vs. Threads

Well, we have noticed an alarming trend with the versus threads, and that is the sheer volume of joke, silly and "me too! me too!" threads created without a good cause. While the concept of versus threads is not against the rules or bad in itself, the number of people 'jumping on the bandwagon' just because they can is having a detrimental effect.

In the absence of any official rules on the subject, I'm going to provide you with some guidelines I personally would suggest you consider before creating a new versus thread.

• The first post should not be a one liner, or other very short introduction. It should be at least a page long, detailing the specifics of the discussion including the reason you are asking.
    • The thread should be based on a genuine argument that has cropped up through way of a discussion on this board or amongst your friends.
    • It should be a genuine, non humourous, match up.
    • It should be media related (note that we have other forums that may be more appropriate as well).
    • The thread should be well fleshed out and carefully considered.
    • It should not be something 'spur of the moment', please consider it carefully, take the time to do it properly and not make one because 'everyone else is doing it, I want one too' or 'that one already had a thread, so I made this one'.
    • The opening post should be serious and likely to lead to a serious discussion.

While not official by any means, I hope these guidelines help people out.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

2. - Top - End - #2
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Cavemen vs Astronauts

Quote Originally Posted by EvilElitest View Post
    while that should be true, a page long? Some are rather self explanatory
    Well, its a guideline, not a hard and fast rule (how does one define a page anyway?). But people should take the time to explain it and make the discussion interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilElitest View Post
    can you go into more detail on that one? Would Lich King vs. sauron be Gaming or Media
    It would all depend, a match up of comic superheroes that either only exist in comics or only involving the comic book versions would go in comics, a discussion involving real life animals would most certainly not go in media.

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I dunno, people might look at it and think "Huh? Rawhide? Nah... it can't be..."
    Precisely the humour value I was going for. I intend to change the topic to something more reasonable after a time.

EDIT: Oh no! Lilly changed it on me!

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

3. - Top - End - #3
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: Cavemen vs Astronauts

Thank you Rawhide for saying what I hadn't (yet...). This is being stuck until further notice
    Founding member of the Kaylee club. If your relationship with your batteries has been going on for almost a year now, you can join too! Strawberries and Big City Doctors for all!