New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default I do everything except dishes (Build?)

I'm looking for a supremely versatile build that is essentially a jack of trades; one PrC that seems very appealing for this would be the Master of Many Masks, which gives out all sorts of nifty abilities. Whatever can't be covered by that can be UMD'd. The question would then seem to be what class to start off from: Bard (bardic music, some spells, seems like a midway between rogue and beguiler for these purposes), Rogue (skills, trapfinding, sneak attack), Beguiler (useful all around in social environments). The Jack of Trades feat from CAdv or CSco would be a must in any case (and the Athletic Daredevil feat from one of those two books for a +5 3/day to one of several physical skills would be cool too).

We don't really do that much combat (a lot of social interaction and problem solving/exploring), so a melee character isn't a necessity as we have a dwarven fighter tank and cleric.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: I do everything except dishes (Build?)

Factotum maybe? He pretends to know how to do everything.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'll throw my vote in for Factotem too. Dungeonscape, uses int for everything, all skills as class skills, D8 HD and Rogue BAB. He can even heal and cast a little (not to mention turn undead). Not too over powered actually (Unless you take Font of Insparation as every feat).

If not, I'd go with Beguiler or straight up Rogue. UMD makes anything possible.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't have Dungeonscape... Is it any good?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Well, one of the authors has a relatively popular webcomic anyway.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maerok View Post
    Don't have Dungeonscape... Is it any good?
    Yes it is a great single or triple level dipping class with an intelligent PC and the class is the main reason to buy Dungeonscape IMO. Really nice in a gestalt game and taking 8 levels with a spellcaster. Factotum handbook thread at Wizard's to give a handle on the class:

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=791436
    Last edited by CASTLEMIKE; 2008-01-29 at 01:44 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I heard he was a hack. :D

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Factotum11/Chameleon9

You decide who you want to be every day when you wake up, even if you weren't him last night when you went to sleep. Bored doesn't exist in your vocabulary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Chameleon seconded.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chameleon thirded. It also has as a prereq a feat I would've suggested anyway: Able learner.

I don't know much about factotum, but rogue and bard might make other good starting classes.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Adumbration
    Chameleon seconded.
    And if you're attached to Master of Masks, X 5/Chameleon 7/MoM 8 is probably the way to go.

But otherwise, MoM is awful. Don't do it without some form of accelerated spellcasting.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Factotum Factotum Factotum. I'm playing a factotum right now and he's awesome. Turning undead in the same round as you smack an overzealous barbarian in the back of the head with a sneak attack? Yes, please.

Dungeonscape is the book. Get it ; a particular author will thank you,

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd advise staying away from Master of Masks. The bonuses it offers are pretty trivial by the levels you start getting them.
    Praise me not for my born strengths, but for what I make of them.
    Scorn me not for my born faults, but for my failure to overcome them.

The Practical Monk's Manuscript

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Factotum rocks. I highly suggest playing one.

If you're so poor that you can't give the host of this site a few bucks, then Archivist /Full Caster PrC is just as good, if not better, at doing everything. Archivists can memorize any divine spell. This includes Paladin, Ranger, Blackguard, and domain spells (ie, many arcane spells).

If you're smart about your spell selection and buy a few wands, you can do pretty much anything in D&D that you can think of.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Eh, I've got an Amazon card I've yet to use. But I've heard ups and downs about Dungeonscape, and I've heard some bad things about Cityscape. Is it a DM or player book?

Where is the Chameleon class from? Races of ___?
    Last edited by Maerok; 2008-01-29 at 06:46 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Destiny or see it here.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Changeling Rogue Variant -2 (10 SPs a level for a Skill Monkey with Evasion),

Factotum - 3 really solid with extra Fonts of Inspiration feats,

Chameleon -10* or Ur Priest -10* (Level 9 spell casting (Other PRCs could be applied to Ur Priest things like Thaumaturgist - 4 or 5 and Loremaster - 2 or 3 on top of Ur Priest -2)

Factotum +5* for extra actions with spellcasting (Level 8 Factotum capstone) (Shouldn't be a problem multiclassing since Rogue is a Favored Class for Changelings).

*Master of Masks level dips to personal taste. With BAB averaging a level dip into Monk, Bard and Marshal (Motivate Intelligence) could also provide a lot of benefits.
    Last edited by CASTLEMIKE; 2008-01-29 at 08:14 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Factotum 8/Chameleon 10/Who the hell cares 2

Take Font of inspiration lots and lots of times.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, a question on Font of Inspiration (since we're talking, among others, about Factotum here) - it's a bit unclearly worded how does it work. If I take this feat three times, for example, do I gain +1/+1/+1 for a total of +3 inspiration points, or +1/+2/+3 for a total of +6?

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eh, I've got an Amazon card I've yet to use. But I've heard ups and downs about Dungeonscape, and I've heard some bad things about Cityscape. Is it a DM or player book?

Dungeonscape is probably one of my favorite books, actually. I'm a big fan of nifty alchemical and mundane items, and it has plenty of those. It also has some great alternate class features and rules for different kinds of dungeons (organic ones, solid air walls, etc.).
    Creator Independent discoverer of the Bird Familiar With a Wand and the Cometfall Orbital Strike

Awesome Protoss High Templar avatar by Dorian Soth.

Gaming ID (Steam, SC II, LoL, etc): BobRedshirt

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu View Post
    Hmm, a question on Font of Inspiration (since we're talking, among others, about Factotum here) - it's a bit unclearly worded how does it work. If I take this feat three times, for example, do I gain +1/+1/+1 for a total of +3 inspiration points, or +1/+2/+3 for a total of +6?
    The latter for the total of +6.

22. - Top - End - #22

Cityscape is an okay book; it's especially good if you do a lot of adventures in cities. PrC's like the City Soul are just... fun. Even if you do need to be in a city for them to be worthwhile. I picked up both it and Dungeonscape at the same time, and its hard to say which I like more.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dyslexicfaser View Post
    Cityscape is an okay book; it's especially good if you do a lot of adventures in cities. PrC's like the City Soul are just... fun. Even if you do need to be in a city for them to be worthwhile. I picked up both it and Dungeonscape at the same time, and its hard to say which I like more.
    Cityscape might not be the book people are thinking of in this thread; Races of Destiny is the one with the Urban Soul, Chameleon, etc.

Cityscape was a pretty decent book, but largely oriented towards DMs. For players, it had one OK prestige class (crimson scourge), and a very small smattering of feats and spells, with only a couple worth mentioning—Invisible Spell, which removes the visual effect of any spell you apply it to, and Devil's Whisper, a warlock invocation that causes a target to follow a suggestion, and then forget that you compelled them to do it and believe they did it of their own accord. Nothing useful for what you're looking for.

Binder is also a decent multipurpose class, but it has limited out-of-combat problem solving abilities, so you're probably better off with factotum and chameleon.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

24. - Top - End - #24

Bah - you're right, Snark. I was mixing up Races of Destiny and Cityscape.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Well I would say Factotum to at least 13. Then you at least have the emergency "I win" button against anything alive granted that you can at least get in a touch attack.

Cunning Breach + Stop Heart

It's the kind of thing you save for when it hits the fan and you woke up a dragon.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Cityscape was a pretty decent book, but largely oriented towards DMs. For players, it had one OK prestige class (crimson scourge), and a very small smattering of feats and spells, with only a couple worth mentioning—
    Ironically, I've seen Cityscape referenced the most (especially in terms of optimization) for something that's not even in it: its Web Enhancement feature on the Wizards web site. Which contains the Riposte alternate class feature for the Scout.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

27. - Top - End - #27

For the record, since everyone's dancing around the issue, the Factotum is from Dungeonscape, one of the contributors of whom is none other than Rich Burlew, creator of Order of the Stick.

Incredibly GAR avatar by Ninja_Chocobo.

28. - Top - End - #28

Clear the Factotum and number of times you can take Font of Inspiration with your DM first. Many DM's I have met and played with will no longer allow a factotum due to the 1st round I kill everything FoI nova.

Basically a Factotum burns all of their inspiration points all at once to do 47 attacks at +26 to hit with +18d6 damage...well thats exaggerated but not by much.

Factotum are a cool class though. Binders can be a fun Job A on Monday Job B on Tuesday class too.
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-01-30 at 06:12 AM.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Just to throw a different suggestion down for a starting class - Beguiler.

You got versatile spells, and lots of skills. It doesn't cover melee well, but other than that it's an extremely versatile class.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for all the information! I think I'll go Factotum/Chameleon (I need to work on the ratio of levels, though) as I wanted someone who could do damn near everything under the sun without necessarily needing a wand to do it. I love the option to go from Mystic Theurging to sneak attacking and then raging all in the same battle, with access to every piece of weapon and armor ("except tower shields"); also, custom Bonus Feat daily (I can never decide on feats, so this is entirely me).

I have some questions concerning the Chameleon:
    If I switch from Arcane casting to Divine casting, my already used spell slots probably stay used?
    I only get one Ability Boon at a time (for when I get to dual-use Aptitude Focus)?
    Where is Font of Inspiration?

My necromancer might have an unfortunate accident this Sunday...
    Last edited by Maerok; 2008-01-30 at 09:54 AM.