New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Drow Druid

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Drow Druid

I'm not talkin a drow that wanders to the surface world and trains under some old (and open minded) druid, I'm talking a druid trained in their home (underground) turf.
    How would it work? I have ideas but I'm not all that experience :)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Drow Druid

A druid who reveres the harsh and predatory nature of the Underdark.

Only the strong survive, and only those who survive are strong.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

druid of the underdark, Id say use more earth spells and vermin spells than tree and animal spells, id ask to take a vermin animal companion too
    Spoiler
    Show

sig by Bitzeralisis

Old Avatar by Simius

new Avatar by Qwernt

Tiger Paladin of HALO

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by de-trick View Post
    druid of the underdark, Id say use more earth spells and vermin spells than tree and animal spells, id ask to take a vermin animal companion too
    what about giant mushrooms instead of trees?
    i'd think drow druids would have a certain affinity with mushrooms, much like surface druids and trees

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Goomba Minions

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Belteshazzar View Post
    Goomba Minions
    i like that! lol

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

I would drop the more-or-less useless class features (for underground), like woodland stride and resist nature's lure, and replace them. Ability to influence vermin with wild empathy at second level and spider climb once a day at fourth seem fair and drowish.

Adding the ability to wild shape into a spider would be a nice touch, as would a spider animal companion. I know not all drow are spider lovers, but it's so iconic.
    Why is it the best campaign ideas happen when you're sitting down to someone elses game?

Pun-Pun is an example of the worst case scenario. Never, ever, push your DM that far.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Idea Man View Post
    I would drop the more-or-less useless class features (for underground), like woodland stride and resist nature's lure, and replace them. Ability to influence vermin with wild empathy at second level and spider climb once a day at fourth seem fair and drowish.

Adding the ability to wild shape into a spider would be a nice touch, as would a spider animal companion. I know not all drow are spider lovers, but it's so iconic.
    you're right, whether a drow likes spiders or not, they're at the very least familiar with them.
    i mean we're talking a race that's predisposed to being turned into a half-spider half-drow monstrosity at the whim of their goddess

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

You could see if your ST would allow you to take a modified version of Arachnomancer in place of the Druid.
    Last edited by shaggz076; 2008-01-31 at 12:11 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know for sure, but I think there's an Eberron-related Druid feat called "Child of Winter" or something similar that gives you vermin-related Druid abilities. That might be the way to go - keep the mechanics, and just change the fluff.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

one thing i have to know:
    anyone ever heard of a Dire Mole?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

If you're looking for vermin companions look no farther than here (Includes monstrous spider companions!). Modifications to other druid class features might be inspired by the modifications made here, just seasoned with an Underdark feel rather than an urban flavor.
    Last edited by Ascension; 2008-01-31 at 12:45 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension
    If you're looking for vermin companions look no farther than here
    I just spent about half an hour looking for that link. 30 minutes so very very wasted...

Anyway, take the "City-Shape" in Ascension's second link and the Dungeonscape variant and you should have a properly Vermin-y setup.

And regarding a Dire Mole? Just refluff a Dire Badger. Or replace the Dire Rat's disease with a burrow speed (don't let it leave a tunnel, though).
    Last edited by Aerogoat; 2008-01-31 at 01:33 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

The link lists vermin companions. It specifically lists a few swarms. It doesn't list Spider Swarm, but that's the same CR as a Giant Ant, which is listed, so that might be able to be house-ruled in. Drow Druid with a swarm of spiders at his beck and call? Yes please.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I think I remember "Drow of the Underdark" containing alternative class features for Drow druids. I will check it when I'm home (and if I remember).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you have access to the book Dungeonscape, I believe there is an alternate class feature in there specifically set up for underground Druids. I don't remember all the changes off the top of my head, but I think it would be worth the effort to check out.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you have access to the book Dungeonscape, I believe there is an alternate class feature in there specifically set up for underground Druids. I don't remember all the changes off the top of my head, but I think it would be worth the effort to check out.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Drow of the Underdark does indeed have an alt. feature for druids; wildshape into giant spiders. It's underpowered and boring, but fluff-wise it may be good. Some of the feats are more worthwhile, though the prereqs can be killer. I'd suggest checking it out, but don't hope for too much.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Drow of the Underdark does indeed have an alt. feature for druids; wildshape into giant spiders. It's underpowered and boring, but fluff-wise it may be good. Some of the feats are more worthwhile, though the prereqs can be killer. I'd suggest checking it out, but don't hope for too much.
    Hey, I remembered posting the details. But apparently I was too slow :-) But that is exactly the class feature I meant. But Sstoopidtallkid is right, powerwise it is rather weak. But you could alway try to fix it by adding some flavor-fitting templates.