New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Athasian Bard

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Athasian Bard

So this Sunday me and a few froods are starting a Dark Sun campaign. I'm using the http://homepage.mac.com/neilclennan/...asianbard.html Athasian bard variant. Has anyone here ever played one before? I like my stealth classes with sneak attack, but the class looks solid. I think I'll work the poison angle quite a bit.
    A post about nothing.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Athasian Bard

You're looking at the Athasian bard taken from Athas.org, who have the "official" rights to develop rules for the defunct Dark Sun setting. I'm DMing a Dark Sun campaign using mostly those rules and we have an Athasian Bard in the party. As far as I can see it's solid, but I drip-feed him poisons (not literally) so I am pretty much in control of his power.

In any case, you should check out Athasian Emporium for more feats and information for a poisoner, including extensive rules for Craft(Poisonmaking).

All in all I think it is a good class, very fluffy on Athas, and with loads of roleplaying hooks and opportunities. From a DM point of view it is certainly a more colorful and interesting figure to build adventures around than the bard's player's other character, a Brute/Barbarian.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vilehelm View Post
    You're looking at the Athasian bard taken from Athas.org, who have the "official" rights to develop rules for the defunct Dark Sun setting. I'm DMing a Dark Sun campaign using mostly those rules and we have an Athasian Bard in the party. As far as I can see it's solid, but I drip-feed him poisons (not literally) so I am pretty much in control of his power.

In any case, you should check out Athasian Emporium for more feats and information for a poisoner, including extensive rules for Craft(Poisonmaking).

All in all I think it is a good class, very fluffy on Athas, and with loads of roleplaying hooks and opportunities. From a DM point of view it is certainly a more colorful and interesting figure to build adventures around than the bard's player's other character, a Brute/Barbarian.
    Thanks for the link. Funny you should mention fluff. Since my background is basically an obsequious courtier assassin I was brainstorming about less overt weapons.

One of my favorite ideas involves a killer string/note/chord that casts a substantially damaging ranged touch attack. Anyone have some suggestions for mechanics for something like that? I was thinking a skill check coupled with a use of bardic music. Something hard enough to give him an excuse to go adventuring to master his musical style.

I also liked the idea of hiding a dagger in a fiddle/lute neck or having some MacGyver like penchant for causing "accidents". The former seems a little vanilla, but the former would certainly be an exercise in imagination. I'd probably have to turn him around into an obsessive compulsive kind of character then.
    A post about nothing.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I nearly forgot poisons. I haven't read up on their fluff, which ones are relatively painless? I plan for this character to be polite to a fault.
    A post about nothing.