New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Question Wands w/ swift spells

if you have a wand with say deflect, or any other spell that can be cast as a swift action, how does your turn play out?

can you use the wand as a swift action and hence use the wand in your other hand right after?

hinda hack-tastic dont you think?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Wands w/ swift spells

Sure. You can use a swift action and a standard action, just like you can cast a quickened spell and a normal spell.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Activation

Wands use the spell trigger activation method, so casting a spell from a wand is usually a standard action that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity. (If the spell being cast, however, has a longer casting time than 1 standard action, it takes that long to cast the spell from a wand.) To activate a wand, a character must hold it in hand (or whatever passes for a hand, for nonhumanoid creatures) and point it in the general direction of the target or area. A wand may be used while grappling or while swallowed whole.
    A swift action spell in a wand is still a standard action.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Incorrect. The Rules Compendium states that swift spells cast from wands only use a swift action.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Incorrect. The Rules Compendium states that swift spells cast from wands only use a swift action.
    Care to provide a quote?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

AssassinGuy

Rules Compendium changed that with the rationale that swift-action spells didn't exist when that text was written and it's supposed to take as long as casting the spell. So now you can in fact use swift-action wands as swift actions. Great with Wand Chamber weapons from... Dungeonscape? Complete Scoundrel? Something like that.

Can't quote you the text 'cause I never bought the thing.
    Last edited by Reel On, Love; 2008-02-08 at 02:45 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reel On, Love View Post
    Rules Compendium changed that with the rationale that swift-action spells didn't exist when that text was written and it's supposed to take as long as casting the spell. So now you can in fact use swift-action wands as swift actions. Great with Wand Chamber weapons from... Dungeonscape? Complete Scoundrel? Something like that.

Can't quote you the text 'cause I never bought the thing.
    Wand chambers are in Dungeonscape and they just got incredibly more awesome. So did wand bracers.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Rules Compendium page 85, second column, second paragraph from the bottom paraphrased says that spells trigger items cast spells in the same amount of time as casting that spell would normally.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    Wand chambers are in Dungeonscape and they just got incredibly more awesome. So did wand bracers.
    what is a wand bracer?

also does that mean that you can make a quickened wand of a 0-lvl spell and use it as a.... swift action? ( i forget what kinda action quickened spells are, swift, free,or immediate?)
    Last edited by Cowboy_ninja; 2008-02-08 at 02:50 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quickened spells are Swift actions.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quickened spells are Swift actions.
    and wand bracers?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy_ninja View Post
    and wand bracers?
    Wand bracers are in Dungeonscape. They let you access up to five wands as a free action.

EDIT: Like this:

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2008-02-08 at 03:06 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Rules Compendium changed that with the rationale that swift-action spells didn't exist when that text was written
    Feather Fall.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Feather Fall is an immediate action (and the exception to the rule).

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Feather Fall wasn't, originally, an immediate action. I do't have the originalphrasing on hand, but it was something like "a free action that you may take even when it's not your turn". The point is, swift/immediate actions weren't codified in the rules yet, so wands didn't account for'em.
    Last edited by Reel On, Love; 2008-02-08 at 04:02 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

Feather Fall was originally written as a free action, and the text of the spell specified that you could use it in reaction to falling. They updated it to an Immediate Action sometime after the Miniatures Handbook, when they created Swift and Immediate Actions.

If you wanted to use a Wand of Feather Fall though, you'd have to be physically holding it when you started falling. Or you could take the Quick Draw feat. Or you could have a Wand Bracer with one in it.

Also, every character with UMD that I play will now have Wand Bracers. There are a bunch of Ranger, Paladin, Blackguard, and Assassin spells that are Swift or Immediate actions. I'm looking forward to using them.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    Feather Fall was originally written as a free action, and the text of the spell specified that you could use it in reaction to falling. They updated it to an Immediate Action sometime after the Miniatures Handbook, when they created Swift and Immediate Actions.

If you wanted to use a Wand of Feather Fall though, you'd have to be physically holding it when you started falling. Or you could take the Quick Draw feat. Or you could have a Wand Bracer with one in it.

Also, every character with UMD that I play will now have Wand Bracers. There are a bunch of Ranger, Paladin, Blackguard, and Assassin spells that are Swift or Immediate actions. I'm looking forward to using them.
    Yeah, swift-action wands make certain things gold. Especially when you consider that a lot of swift-action spells are first level. That Wand of Hunter's Mercy? 750 gp. Rhino's Rush? Same. Rogues have no excuse for not packing Grave/Golem/Plantstrike wands in their bracer.

Wand of Wraithstrike in your (gish's) greatsword's wand chamber? 4500 gp and cheap at twice the price.

It's definitely a Big Change that improves a lot of things.

18. - Top - End - #18

And it would still take a standard action to use according to the RAW in the core.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

I thought it was a swift action to draw from the Wand Bracer (I'm AFB) ? Wand Chambers were always awesome.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

What does Wand chamber do anyways?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

AssassinGuy

What does Wand chamber do anyways?
    It's a slot in the item that has the wand chamber.
    You put your wand in the slot. (Hurr hurr hurr, I'll bet you do, etc.)
    Then you count as holding the wand just by holding the item (say, your greatsword), which means you don't need to draw it to use it. If you had a Wand of Lightning Bolt in your greatsword's wand chamber (which would be a crappy use of it, but hey, Rule Of Cool) then you'd basically just point the hilt at your enemies and release the lightning bolt.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

So you can just craft a wand chamber into any item you want?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

AssassinGuy

So you can just craft a wand chamber into any item you want?
    There are restrictions. I can't tell you what they are at the moment, since I'm not near my books. You can put'em in weapons and shields, at the least, but I think that might be it.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Then you could put a small wand inside of a larger wand since a stick could be considered a weapon like a pointy stick or small club.

Take it a step or two further and put them in a Meta Rod which could be considered a club.
    Last edited by CASTLEMIKE; 2008-02-08 at 04:49 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

AssassinGuy

[QUOTE=CASTLEMIKE;3910008]Then you could put a small wand inside of a larger wand since a stick could be considered a weapon like a pointy stick or small club./QUOTE]
    No, you could put a wand in a club. "Wand" isn't listed as a weapon, so you can't put a wand chamber in one.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

From what book are Wand Chambers?
    Wand Bracers?

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

No, you could put a wand in a club. "Wand" isn't listed as a weapon, so you can't put a wand chamber in one.
    You could put it inside some rods, if you wanted, because those are treated as maces.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Rods

Rods are scepterlike devices that have unique magical powers and do not usually have charges. Anyone can use a rod.
    Physical Description

Rods weigh approximately 5 pounds.

They range from 2 feet to 3 feet long and are usually made of iron or some other metal. (Many, as noted in their descriptions, can function as light maces or clubs due to their sturdy construction.)

These sturdy items have AC 9, 10 hit points, hardness 10, and a break DC of 27.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlWiPig View Post
    From what book are Wand Chambers?
    Wand Bracers?
    Both are Dungeonscape.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2008-02-08 at 04:57 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

No kidding! Good thing Battle Blessing doesn't change the wands' spells, or all Paladin wands would be swift actions too. Yeesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Hall
    And it would still take a standard action to use according to the RAW in the core.
    True, but that's not the most up-to-date RAW, now, is it? Rules Compendium explicitly counts as errata, according to official rules, anytime it contradicts Core.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    True, but that's not the most up-to-date RAW, now, is it? Rules Compendium explicitly counts as errata, according to official rules, anytime it contradicts Core.
    Forgive me for not spending $30 for errata.
    The Cranky Gamer

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

[QUOTE=Reel On, Love;3910024]
    Quote Originally Posted by CASTLEMIKE View Post
    Then you could put a small wand inside of a larger wand since a stick could be considered a weapon like a pointy stick or small club./QUOTE]
    From the SRD: A wand is a thin baton that contains a single spell of 4th level or lower. Each wand has 50 charges when created, and each charge expended allows the user to use the wand’s spell one time. A wand that runs out of charges is just a stick.

Physical Description
    A typical wand is 6 inches to 12 inches long and about ¼ inch thick, and often weighs no more than 1 ounce. Most wands are wood, but some are bone. A rare few are metal, glass, or even ceramic, but these are quite exotic. Occasionally, a wand has a gem or some device at its tip, and most are decorated with carvings or runes. A typical wand has AC 7, 5 hit points, hardness 5, and a break DC of 16.

I disagree I have been around a lot of very creative players:

Small wand in a larger heavier disguised 8 ounce "Dart" style wand.

Small wand inside a large heavier disguised 1 pound "Siangham" wand.

Small wand inside a large heavier disguised 2 pound "Tonfa" style wand. (Probably pushing it with the handle on the wand although some players would say hey it can hold two wand chambers and possibly 3 short 6" wands)
    Last edited by CASTLEMIKE; 2008-02-08 at 07:10 PM.