A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: The Order Of The Stick: November

Quote Originally Posted by Aerysil
    I saw a SWORD in that treasure pile!

From the coloration, I'd say it's a frost sword...
    Or maybe Xykon is so unspeakably evil that he colors his flaming swords blue! The horror... the horror!
    \"Family man\" is a template that can be added to any male humanoid. He gains the subtype \"Tool.\"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fsi-Dib
    Xykon was a lich. Where's Xykon's phylactery? Could it be that crown? I think not. (Since they should bash it or something)
    If they don't know that the crown is the phylactery, why would they smash it? Of course, Xykon being reconstituted in a sack full of "feminine products" would be incredibly awkward, but it could happen.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Has anybody considered the possibility that the sword is the 'phylactery' as you people call it? Ah well, could be the crown too... who can tell. Besides the Giant.

Anyway, today we see Haley at what she does best. Looting. Although I didn't think she would have the others help her... I thought she would try to get away with all the treasure without being noticed.

And does anybody remember the ancient vaults below Xykon's level? You know, the ones with Durokan's sacred artefacts? For further information, see comic 71. They still have some more exploring to do, now that their greatest enemy has been defeated. Or so they think...
    "And men saw his sails coming up out of the sunset, dyed as with scarlet and gleaming with red and gold, and fear fell upon the dwellers by the coasts, and they fled far away."

-Akallabeth, The Silmarillion

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

It seems that, for "once", the OotS is not "meta-gaming". I could be wrong here. But, they don't seem to know that a lich's phylactery needs to be destroyed to destroy the lich.

A lich's phylactery is common D&D player knowledge that, for some reason, all characters know intuitively- even though they shouldn't.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Posted by: Pharazon Posted on: Today at 4:33pm
    And does anybody remember the ancient vaults below Xykon's level? You know, the ones with Durokan's sacred artefacts? For further information, see comic 71. They still have some more exploring to do, now that their greatest enemy has been defeated. Or so they think...
    Nope. Xykons level is bellow the level where they met the linear guild. Strip 72 panel 8 clearly shows them going down 2 levels towards Xykon's lair. I'm pretty sure that the dungeon has all been explored but I could be wrong.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

I love Haley. Haley is my role-model...
    save your fears
    for the day
    when our pain is far behind
    on your feet
    come with me
    we are soldiers stand or die

save your fears
    take your place
    save them for the judgement day
    fast and free
    follow me
    time to make the sacrifice
    we rise or fall

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret Dragon
    A lich's phylactery is common D&D player knowledge that, for some reason, all characters know intuitively- even though they shouldn't.
    Perhaps that is because they take the opportunity to read D&D materials beforehand...Something these characters cannot.

Besides, what actual evidence points to the existence of Xykon's phylactery? Sure, he's a lich, but this hardly means he was photocopied right out of the monster manual. Given Rich's penchant for complex plot twists, I would be surprised if he resorted to "Oh, Xykon's not really dead; they never found his phylactery because none of them knew what it was! Ha ha!"

8. - Top - End - #8

Maybe since we are speculating about Xykon coming back, Giant will throw us a curve ball and leave him dead!!!

No? :-/

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm betting that Haley has an MBA. ;D

I've got questions!

Who turned the zombies to dust!?

Where is the high priest?

What happened to the thing in the dark?

How is V balancing (when not being wielded)?

Is Belkar's hair growing?
    -jjh

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aerysil
    Maybe since we are speculating about Xykon coming back, Giant will throw us a curve ball and leave him dead!!!

No? :-/

I guess you've never fought a lich before. :) It's a long and painful process of trial and error. Well, at least it was for my party. Perhaps we were a little slow on the uptake. We were fighting the same lich for a long time.

11. - Top - End - #11

As a linguistics scholar, I am highly impressed with Rich's knowledge of demon roach (Blattidae diabolus) dialect. "Youreges" is the second person possessive used to address royalty, often contracted simply to "youe".

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Grimicus
    I guess you've never fought a lich before. :) It's a long and painful process of trial and error. Well, at least it was for my party. Perhaps we were a little slow on the uptake. We were fighting the same lich for a long time.
    Oh, I'm well aware of a lich's attributes. I personally have only fought a dracolich in NWN, but haven't encountered a lich in the paper game or any other CRPG. I've DMed a few, even had one with a phylactery that would, after it was defeated, actively possess a living creature nearby and turn them into a lich. :o

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

See, and this was a thought for me as well, what with Roy hanging the crown around his neck.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Roy the Lich? The horror...THE HORROR!
    *Insert random Terry Pratchett quote here*

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

I need to start up a cockroach campaign someday.
    \"in the long run, we\'ll all be dead\" ~ John Maynard Keynes&&&&Bin ich aber tot?&&&&Philosopher Action Figures&&&&Goatism&&

16. - Top - End - #16

The following is quoted from a user called Shatteredtower from the OotS October Thread.

Judging by the way she's holding V, I can't help but wonder if she now has the answer to the gender debate.
    Probably not. Given the perverse delight the Giant takes in our confusion V would probably be wearing some sort of baggy underwear that makes such judgements impossible.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

And thus begins the discussion of what type of underwear that V wears?
    All hail the mighty and merciful Banjo!&&His greatness will rise again and his name will be known throughout the land!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterbard
    Yup. I vote for boxers. ;D
    Rhuna Coppermane, half-orc for hire
    Ranger, pantheist, protector of neophytes

Member, Redcloak Fanclub

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterbard
    Okay guys, take it to the V's Undergarments Speculation Thread...

--EvilE
    EvilEeyore AntiSocialite

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Okay, Evil Villain Slut that I am, I'm rooting for Xykon's phylactery NOT to be destroyed, because he had such a great stand-up routine. Surely he can return one day, perhaps being reconstituted in a pawn shop, along with goblin crawling hands and used accordians.

The roaches? I can always stand more roaches in an adventure comic.

And BTW, I've started a thread on the NaNoWriMo.org threads (that's National Novel Writing Month, for those who were unaware) about The Order of the Stick. I figured that the 33,000 participants ought to know about this ever-so-entertaining comic.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Most PCs who fight a lich do so with a lot of preparation beforehand... that, or they have a bard (bardic knowledge) or someone with high enough ranks in Knowledge: Religion, Arcana, Undead, Monsters, or just about any related field, that a simple (but probably high-DC) Knowledge check reveals that a lich ought to have a phylactery hidden somewhere. That they're quite high level usually means they have the necessary experience to make it feasible that a knowledge check would reveal the existence of a phylactery.

Of course, the fact that this is OoTS tells me that "bardic knowledge" is lucky if it reveals how to put shoes on the right feet...

With Elan being Elan, he'd be more likely to accidentally destroy the phylactery than actually seek out and identify it before hand.

Strangely enough, I've never actually fought a lich in a game of D&D. My DMs seem to have a penchant for dragons, instead (and they're quite as deadly, if handled right... wow, I'd like to see OoTS up against a big dragon one of these days!).

Presumably, a lich hides its phylactery by disguising the aura, right?

As for Haley, do remember that despite her treasure-gathering ways, she is good-aligned (Unholy Blight sickened her, remember, along with everyone but Belkar?). She's not going to be mean enough to deny the group any reward at all after they've worked so long for it... though if I know Haley, she'll be using those sticky fingers to get more than her share!

Haley's smart... she knows that a poor fighter can't buy good weapons to protect her with, and a poor spellcaster can't buy high-level scrolls to study and use to save her butt... so unless she's completely suicidal, she'll let them have some of the swag this time around.

Either that, or she knows her carrying capacity isn't nearly big enough to handle all of it... ;D

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Durkon and Elan haven't said anything about a phylactery, but Vaarsuvius hasn't even had a chance to comment yet. Someone who can decipher and interpret the mystical importance of the doily probably has a pretty impressive Knowledge (Arcana).

I don't know what Knowledge is relevant to phylacteries, though.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret Dragon
    It seems that, for "once", the OotS is not "meta-gaming". I could be wrong here. But, they don't seem to know that a lich's phylactery needs to be destroyed to destroy the lich.
    Remember what roy said: "It doesn't feel right...my dad hasn't shown up to thank me yet."

Maybe Rich is just creeping up to something, and hasn't revealed it yet. Dun DUN DUNNNN!!!

Or the entire party blew their knowledge (lich related stuff) checks
    I shall make up for the lack of ingenuity in my foolish post with a concise and witty signature. Read thus so far? Too late for you!

I laugh.

Possibly the first player in 3.5 to take energy damage (radioactive). See here

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khaelo
    I don't know what Knowledge is relevant to phylacteries, though.
    The knowledge related to undead is Knowledge (Religion). However, I'd have to say that a Knowledge (Arcana) or Bardic Knowledge, at different DC's, would also apply here.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Offcourse Xykon isnt defeated, first because it went much too fast and second because his last words are: "Y'know, actually, this isn't that bad", so he will surely come back later.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

Xykon could return, but, knowing the randomness in which the Giant comes up with plot threads, he'll be one of those wierd, backwards, "Good" lich from the Forgotten Realms.
    Spoiler
    Show

Veeratar© Enhanced
    MTI Avatar by Ceika. Now get on your face!
    Professor AngelSword by FDL. Fascinating!
    Berith AngelSword by Ceika.

Wicked Savior
    Exile
    Heart of Gold

Castles & Chemo - Granting a +4 to Saves vs. Cancer!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

I... think our questions have been answered. And we must now curse The Giant for his evilness in refusing to reveal the mysterious minion.
    I am... no one.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

NEXT TIME ORDER OF THE STICK... NEXT TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME!

Now i'm gonna go Obsess over what that damnable creature is.
    Random Stats:
    Chickens Kicked: 0
    TPK (as Player): 1
    TPK (as DM): 5
    D20s Melted: 1

Any and all typos in the former post are the result of a sick mind on the part of the reader. Get help, man!

I was a rather heavy poster a long time ago in the old forums (heck, I helped start the old 3.5 attempt at a democratic forum campaign setting!) and I thought I'd stick my head back in. Hi again!

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by CaptN
    NEXT TIME ORDER OF THE STICK... NEXT TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME!

Now i'm gonna go Obsess over what that damnable creature is.
    Well it eats things, so it has to have a mouth and eat organic stuff...

But it was early! wow.

Well now we know where Xykon's phyla... soul-hidey-thing is. And this was a good one for banter.
    Founding member of the Kaylee club. If your relationship with your batteries has been going on for almost a year now, you can join too! Strawberries and Big City Doctors for all!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

YES, XYKON LI. . . uh, EXISTS!!!

But I still want to know who sucked up all those Magic Missiles??? Nobody was yelling 'Medic'?
    Reality is what you can get away with.