New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Raining Death From the Skies - for 88,000 gold

So, a DM is starting us at mid-level for a campaign and (more fool, he) is letting my artificer have a backlog of magical items to represent his previous levels' craft reserves. I have decided to abuse his innocence and trust by crafting the best death glider I am capable of creating.

As a model, I'm using the Xen'drik Flying Boat. That's 30k gold and 2400 XP with the Artisan feats. That gives me about 58k gold (and 400-odd XP in his reserve) to stock my ship with everything it might need to kill things.

Suggestions? I've been trying to figure out how much it would cost to give it an at-will Invisibility (or just a Globe of Invulnerability), just to mess with him.
    Last edited by dyslexicfaser; 2008-02-11 at 10:06 PM.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Raining Death From the Skies - for 88,000 gold

Buy a Returning Morningstar, drop it on your opponents and catch it as it comes back up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bloddyredcommie View Post
    Buy a Returning Morningstar, drop it on your opponents and catch it as it comes back up.
    I like this, but the Arms and Equipment Guide has stuff about ship-borne ballistas, etc. Heroes of Battle has good stuff too. Archery volleys, ballistae, trebuchets, etc.

Build a trapdoor that goes over the side, and an item that lets you summon earth elementals. Check the MIC, it's got a couple. Summon one on the trapdoor, open it, bombs away! Reset the trapdoor, and repeat. Best of all, your bombs fight people once they land.
    Proud initiate ref for the Arena!
    Spoiler
    Show

Llince 2-1
    Akhond 1-0
    Wolatifex 0-0

Crimson Mageatar!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ex-avatar/ists:
    The Chilli God
    Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by FlyMolo View Post
    I like this, but the Arms and Equipment Guide has stuff about ship-borne ballistas, etc. Heroes of Battle has good stuff too. Archery volleys, ballistae, trebuchets, etc.

Build a trapdoor that goes over the side, and an item that lets you summon earth elementals. Check the MIC, it's got a couple. Summon one on the trapdoor, open it, bombs away! Reset the trapdoor, and repeat. Best of all, your bombs fight people once they land.
    Ooh, thats nice
    For maximu, effect, the morningstar in question should be Large size, you don't actually need to wield it, just drop it on people.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

A Decanter of Endless Water set to geiser could kill things with the falling damage if you shoot down from the ship. Can you say blue laser?

Of course, you can just have something with unlimited castings of Create Water for 900gp in cost per caster level of the item to just drop Water Balloons from HellTM on your targets.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    A Decanter of Endless Water set to geiser could kill things with the falling damage if you shoot down from the ship. Can you say blue laser?

Of course, you can just have something with unlimited castings of Create Water for 900gp in cost per caster level of the item to just drop Water Balloons from Hell[supTM[/sup] on your targets.
    except that water has a very low terminal velocity, you know how rain dosn't kill you and all...oh dear *gets smashed by falling catgirls*

That said, Wall of Iron cast with the bottom of your ship as the base would work too.
    [/Center]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    Can you say blue laser?
    "Put your pants back on, Blue Laser!" "How can you possibly refer to these as pants?!"

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Bloddyredcommie View Post
    That said, Wall of Iron cast with the bottom of your ship as the base would work too.
    That could be interpreted as having a big iron keel. Prepare to have your ship fall out of the sky due to weight.

The real damaging elementals aren't earth elementals but fire elementals. Just realized that, although earth elementals are heavier.
    Spoiler
    Show

Llince 2-1
    Akhond 1-0
    Wolatifex 0-0

Crimson Mageatar!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ex-avatar/ists:
    The Chilli God
    Serpentine

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

That could be interpreted as having a big iron keel. Prepare to have your ship fall out of the sky due to weight.

The real damaging elementals aren't earth elementals but fire elementals. Just realized that, although earth elementals are heavier.
    the wall can be created not attatched to the surface, therefore it would just fall.
    [/Center]

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Idea: Targetted Dispel Magic as a Command Word costs 13,500 gp to make, and essentially provides the ship with a Deflector Shield for whichever of your teammates is least useful in the air to man.

11. - Top - End - #11

Fire elementals might be more damaging, but dropping a 2400 pound earth elemental on someone would really ruin their day.

Thanks for the suggestions, all.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dyslexicfaser View Post
    Fire elementals might be more damaging, but dropping a 2400 pound earth elemental on someone would really ruin their day.
    Magma Elemental, anyone? Best of both worlds.
    Goblin Shaman by Simius

Creations:
    The Battle Psychic Martial Adept

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Reptilius View Post
    Magma Elemental, anyone? Best of both worlds.
    Hah. Nice. But I did some research on elementals and sizing and weights for something in the Avatar d20 project, and what I realized is that damage is basically "Whatever the player can justify"
    Spoiler
    Show

Llince 2-1
    Akhond 1-0
    Wolatifex 0-0

Crimson Mageatar!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ex-avatar/ists:
    The Chilli God
    Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #14

RedSorcererGirl

Question Re: Raining Death From the Skies - for 88,000 gold

Build a trapdoor that goes over the side, and an item that lets you summon earth elementals. Check the MIC, it's got a couple.
    Do you know specifically what these elemental summoning items from the Magic Item Compendium are? What size of Earth Elemental do they bring in? A Small Earth Elemental is only 80 lbs, however an Elder Earth Elemental is 60,000 lbs.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser1 View Post
    Do you know specifically what these elemental summoning items from the Magic Item Compendium are? What size of Earth Elemental do they bring in? A Small Earth Elemental is only 80 lbs, however an Elder Earth Elemental is 60,000 lbs.
    Medium deals 37d6+1d6 for every 10 feet dropped beyond the first, and does so with an affordable spell slot, unlike dropping Walls of Iron on people.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

A tad expensive but if you could work it out you could use portable hole+bag of holding. The elementals are nice though.
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

17. - Top - End - #17

NecromancerGuy

i forgot where it is, but there are elemental balistas and such. They shoot fireballs and lightening bolts.

18. - Top - End - #18

But if you can, twin-linked autocannons a pair of fireballs set to fire simultaneusly would create quite a blast, maybe not THE most effective weapon in the world, but...

19. - Top - End - #19

Devil

Can you cast a permanent illusion of the sky on the hull of your ship that morphs with the sky above? That would effectively render your ship a stealth ship.

Does phantasmal terrain work on a moving target...would be nice to be able to 'cloak' the ship...even if it can't be used in flight..it could be used while stationary...and that is worth at least something.

20. - Top - End - #20

A mounted magic item of Disintegration maybe?

*whoosh*We're invincib...*Zap*Fizzle*whoosh*
    Last edited by Zenos; 2008-02-12 at 02:12 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Doesn't work. You can either throw it, in which case you make an attack roll and it does normal morningstar damage, or you can drop it, in which case it does falling object damage, but the Returning property doesn't work.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

23. - Top - End - #23

You are evil, evil, people...

But your GM will be wiser after this campaign.
    Paragon Badger (14 HP)
    Str 23, Dex 32, Con 30, Int 17, Wis 27, Cha 19
    AC: 33, Claw: +29 Melee (1d2+19)
    Body by Jake Army. Avatar by Kyace.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by leperkhaun View Post
    i forgot where it is, but there are elemental balistas and such. They shoot fireballs and lightening bolts.
    Hero's of Battle
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

25. - Top - End - #25

NecromancerGuy

ohhh if you want to be really mean.....maybe put a symbol of sleep or some such on something that you can raise when you go to board or are bieng boarded.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Juan View Post
    Can you cast a permanent illusion of the sky on the hull of your ship that morphs with the sky above? That would effectively render your ship a stealth ship.
    That would be Invisibility Sphere, like the OP was thinking. Basic Invisibility might hide the things inside the ship but might not, depending on the GM. Definitely wouldn't hide people on deck though.

Does phantasmal terrain work on a moving target...would be nice to be able to 'cloak' the ship...even if it can't be used in flight..it could be used while stationary...and that is worth at least something.
    If a ship counts as a "structure" rather than "equipment" then you could disguise it as a cloud.
    The spell Obscuring Mist would do the same but prevent you from seeing out too... Perhaps only have the mist underneath the ship?
    If a tree falls in the forest and the PCs aren't around to hear it... what do I roll to see how loud it is?

Is 3.5 a fried-egg, chili-chutney sandwich?

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by hewhosaysfish View Post
    That would be Invisibility Sphere, like the OP was thinking. Basic Invisibility might hide the things inside the ship but might not, depending on the GM. Definitely wouldn't hide people on deck though.
    actually you could do it with silent image, just create the image of the sky upon you right under the ship, or of a cloud if the Dm don't allow the sky. As long as the wizard concentrate the ship is practically invisible (f you try with the cloud it is better to follow the wind tho).
    I don't make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose

"...the Perilious Path of Crushing Doom"
    " Please, tell me it is actually filled with cute, fuzzy bunnies and they just named it that to be ironic."

Note to Self:
    If you ever happen to doubt the Giant again remember the "Ghost-martyrs of the Sapphire guard

28. - Top - End - #28

Devil

You do realize however that the first sign of this monstrosity running away with the game will cause the DM to invoke the 'angry dragon' clause and have some sort of monster crush your ship into bits....or have some other way of taking it out of the picture for all intents and purposes.

While very cool...it is a thing easily bypassed unless used by the party to circumvent the story...in such a case...the story might come say hello to you in a very rude way.

There are places ships cannot go, things that might be adverse to such armed craft...and other things that can put it out of commision, if not permanently, at least long enough to force the party to linger in a plot area long enough to do what needs to be done...repairs will always come at the speed of plot...

If you want to really 'twink', you might be better off maxing out some crazy magical items rather than one pimptastic boat and then have all your gear lag behind.

29. - Top - End - #29

Bag of Holding + Flying Carpet = WIN! You can do all the same stuff, then roll it up and stuff it in the bag when you're done. It can be for 1 person or more depending on how big you want to go, and it would be loads cheaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by McMindflayer View Post
    Of course, this still doesn't answer the question... "How does it POOP?"
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFurith View Post
    I roll a swim check on the street. Why not, right? Through a series of rolls I rob a bunch of people of 75g. I didn't actually notice their existence but I swam over there and did it anyway because this guy couldn't make sense if he tried.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Maybe some kind of Golem. Thats a nasty invasion force.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they just drag you to their level and beat you in experience."