New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Speedboat

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Speedboat

Lets say that somebody took a rowboat and attatched a Decanter of Endless Water onto the back, then used the geyser option to propel the boat, how would you stat that out?
    Or even better, getting a way to breath underwater and strapping a decanter onto your back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Speedboat

It might actually not be going that fast. Inventive, but not very effective. 30 gallons/6 seconds is 5 gallons a second. Assume column 6" wide extending to length, that's only about 10feet/second. You'd get thrust, but not a lot.

On the other hand, Physics be damned! This is a game with magic after all!

I'd say the speed of the boat goes up by 10ft a round every round while the decanter is on, and decreases a like amount while it's off. If you turn more than 45 degrees in a round, halve the speed.

Now ramming damage, that's a pain to calculate.
    Proud initiate ref for the Arena!
    Spoiler
    Show

Llince 2-1
    Akhond 1-0
    Wolatifex 0-0

Crimson Mageatar!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ex-avatar/ists:
    The Chilli God
    Serpentine

3. - Top - End - #3

If you attach, say, six decanters, you'll have 30 gal/sec, which is about equivalent to a decent whitewater river near the top. That would get you accelerating (on open water) probably about 50 ft/round or more (and several decanters allows for better maneuverability by turning them on/off).
    For people who enjoy reading or writing.

Spoiler
    Show

Awesome banner/avatar by El_Frenchie!

Play chess? Look me up! (bwaa)

Formerly known as lordhenry4000

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

You know, a Decanter-engine might work very well for a submarine of sorts
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

5. - Top - End - #5

I'm almost sure it's a bad thing that all the silly ideas people espouse on this thread I use for campaign ideas. The nonlethal locate city bomb AKA sleep zone, the high altitude artificers with rods of create water making the rain, Submarines, and so on and so forth.
    Proud initiate ref for the Arena!
    Spoiler
    Show

Llince 2-1
    Akhond 1-0
    Wolatifex 0-0

Crimson Mageatar!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ex-avatar/ists:
    The Chilli God
    Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by FlyMolo View Post
    I'm almost sure it's a bad thing that all the silly ideas people espouse on this thread I use for campaign ideas. The nonlethal locate city bomb AKA sleep zone, the high altitude artificers with rods of create water making the rain, Submarines, and so on and so forth.
    Feel free to use a Decanter-powered submarine for a campaign, under the condition you first watch Hunt for the Red October and then base the capitain of Sean Connery's character.
    "And the order is, engage the magic drive"
    [/Center]

7. - Top - End - #7

Do some research on jet boat engines with their thrust to weight and volume calculations and you see that a geyser is barely idle level thrust.